Question about a couple 19th century rowhouses

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Question about a couple 19th century rowhouses

Post by SaveOmaha »

There are two beautiful rowhouses that I love: one on 28th, one on 29th. At one point, the Georgia Row House (on 29th and on the NRHP) had a sign for condos for sale and I saw it listed on Trulia. Now it's boarded up. The one on 28th has been worked on in the past. That one is also boarded up I believe.

My question is: is there any plan to save these two rowhouses? I was curious if anyone knew if there was any progress on those two buildings.

Here are links from the assessor's website.

http://douglasne.mapping-online.com/Dou ... 2113430000

http://douglasne.mapping-online.com/Dou ... 2101570000
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omadweller
Home Owners Association

Post by omadweller »

Those are very ornate and look like they were once luxurious.  Maybe they will be again.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Wow, those are ornate. If I were in the development business, I would snatch both of those up.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I think one of the biggest problems is they're right next to the interstate and most people aren't going to want to deal with the noise of living that close to it. I lived in apartments off 150th and Dodge a few years back and could hear traffic all night long.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I think one of the biggest problems is they're right next to the interstate and most people aren't going to want to deal with the noise of living that close to it. I lived in apartments off 150th and Dodge a few years back and could hear traffic all night long.
If you're referring to Wycliff (sp?) apartments, those things were made from popsicle sticks and cotton balls. When I lived in an apartment, I felt like I was an integral part of my neighbors' sex lives, simply because I could hear every little nasty detail.

In a building like those row houses, I doubt you would hear much of anything.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

When I first moved back from college I lived right on 49th & Dodge.  Pretty much every ambulance in Omaha went past my apartment. (1980)
People in Chicago live next to the L tracks.  People in New York live in New York.  People live near airports or in flight paths.  Noise happens.  You get used to it.

How noisy can 480 be?  It isn't like they are on top of 480.  It's noise.  You don't want noise?  Move to the panhandle.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

NovakOmaha wrote:When I first moved back from college I lived right on 49th & Dodge.  Pretty much every ambulance in Omaha went past my apartment. (1980)
People in Chicago live next to the L tracks.  People in New York live in New York.  People live near airports or in flight paths.  Noise happens.  You get used to it.

How noisy can 480 be?  It isn't like they are on top of 480.  It's noise.  You don't want noise?  Move to the panhandle.
I actually lived at 49th and Dodge as well a couple years back.  For the first month it drove me crazy, after that I didn't notice it at all.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I lived near a railroad crossing for 10 years. You get used to it, but having a train came through when you have the windows open and were trying to listen to music or watch TV was annoying.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
joeyrindone
New to the Neighborhood

Post by joeyrindone »

I actually had a chance to walk through the 538 s 38th st property in 2005.  It looked like it was in pretty rough shape at the time.  It wasn't as ornate as I thought it would be either.  It had been gutted of all of it's character, and split from a 3 unit row house into 9 apartments.  The third floor didn't have windows then, and it still doesn't have windows now.  I can only imagine how bad the water damage has gotten in the past 7 years.  It is currently for sale for $70k, but I can't seem to find where I saw that.  Someone with better googling skills might be able to find a link.  It isn't listed on any real estate websites.  I don't think it has an MLS #.  On a side note, I am very surprised that the Georgia row house sold for $56,000.  That sounds like a steal.