Missouri River Commons (Riverfront Development)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Re: Storz Trophy Room Grill & Brewery (Rick's Boatyard)

Post by guy4omaha »

I liked their lunch menu a lot better than their dinner menu. Hopefully they will bring in pub food. I also hope they bring in some more Storz related decor. Too sterile as is. They have a chance with the lunch menu. Dinner menu as-is, I give them a year as well. Gots to have me some beef in some form or fashion.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I've only been there once since the transition and (it may have changed) I remember the menu as being heavy on steak with a number of seafood offerings. I don't remember any sandwiches (or burgers) on the menu, but again, this was dinner and ...

I would *ASSUME* that a place called "Brewery" would have sandwiches and burgers, but again ...

I did have a draw of Storz Triumph and to be honest, I know I could not pick it out of a "Pepsi Challenge" type taste test. It was very "OK" but I would not give it the Charles Atlas Seal Of Approval. :)

Before I've only had Storz Triumph beer once that I can remember. This was waaaaaay back, late 70s when I had done some volunteer work for a local politician and he had a few cases of it squirreled away for a big event. I really don't recall any particular nuances, so it was hard to tell if the current brew was an accurate rendition or not. They did have it both on tap and in bottles. I have not seen it available on the shelf anywhere, but again I haven't really looked. :)

I hope the place makes it! It's a locally-owned independent place and I think their intent is in the right place. If they would just tweak their model a bit I think they could capture business such as the Friday after work crowd, the beer for lunch bunch, etc.

Oh well ...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I am not sure that anything will last at that location unless the river gets a lot more development.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

With the current set up, not sure you will see more development in that area. They really need to move forward with the bridge on the north side of the Clink. That part of the area, TD Park especially, is really cut off from the riverfront. Can't believe that was not done right at the start.

Greg
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The ped bridge connection near the north side of the Clink was always planned along with the original ped bridge design. The money was just not available, even before the first design was bid, which came in way over the budget, resulting in the re-bid project that actually got built. The original bid drawings had a removable rail section where the secondary bridge connection over to north of the Clink would tie-in.

But you're right, that connection between the river front and the Clink will go along way to increase access between the two areas...especially the TD Ameritrade.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Remember, Stothert wants the small lot south of the Trophy room to be developed.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Remember, Stothert wants the small lot south of the Trophy room to be developed.
That and the pad on the water by Riverfront Place would help.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The OWH is reporting in the dining notes section that Storz has revamped menu to include burgers, sandwiches, and BBQ.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:The OWH is reporting in the dining notes section that Storz has revamped menu to include burgers, sandwiches, and BBQ.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20140219/G ... a-new-menu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarah Baker Hansen / World-Herald staff writer wrote:has added sandwiches, including burgers, pork tenderloin, a lobster club and a prime rib Philly to its menu, among other items.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Brad wrote:
Greg S wrote:The OWH is reporting in the dining notes section that Storz has revamped menu to include burgers, sandwiches, and BBQ.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20140219/G ... a-new-menu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarah Baker Hansen / World-Herald staff writer wrote:has added sandwiches, including burgers, pork tenderloin, a lobster club and a prime rib Philly to its menu, among other items.

Correct! Here is their new menu. http://storzbrewing.com/food-menu/?age- ... b75112ce08" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also:
Storz Brewing
We're open for lunch Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday this week!! With a new menu full of sandwiches, BBQ options and great appetizers. Come down to the Storz Trophy Room at 345 Riverfront Drive and grab a bite and a cold brew.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

That's actually a very extensive menu, and there are a good many options, regardless of whether you are famished or just want to stop in for a beer and a salad or sandwich. This menu makes me want to give the place a try.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That does look like a better menu for this venue. I might also give it another try, without the Falstaffs.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

What a mess!

Storz recalls beer batch

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140221/G ... beer-batch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andrea Kszystyniak / World-Herald staff writer wrote:

According to a release on the brewery's site, the brew did not meet their standards.

“The latest batch of Triumph is not the flavor profile we expect or our customers demand,” the release reads. “We listen to our customers, and while the decision is difficult and a stumble for our 150-day-old operation, it is the right thing to do for the customer.”
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

A friend of mine who manages a liquor department at a grocery store here in Omaha posted a picture of the letter. Someone commented that maybe finding a brewery was part of the Triumph process.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone been to Storz Lately? I have parked over by there for all the UNO and Creighton games this season at the Clink.

This past weekend, I was at the arena a little later than the rest of the fans so I am literally one of the last people out of there. Both Friday night and Saturday Night (10:30 and 10:00) there were no cars at Storz and the place looked closed...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have driven past it several times around noon, and maybe see 5 or 6 cars...
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

We have gone twice since the menu change. The fist time we went it was about 7 om and the only seating left was in the bar. The second time we went it was about 7pm and had about 10 tables. We had no complaints about the food; we will definitely be back.
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

We started there at noon the day of the beer week craft beer bus tour. We only had drinks, but we enjoyed it there. Our service started off excellent but slacked off as they go busier. Many of the staff seemed preoccupied gearing up for the day. I will grant them that they are not normally open then and that probably through them for a loop. I wouldn't rule out going back, especially in the summer when the patio could be utilized.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Coyote wrote:I have driven past it several times around noon, and maybe see 5 or 6 cars...
I don't think they open until 4 pm . . . at least during winter hours.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guy4omaha wrote:
Coyote wrote:I have driven past it several times around noon, and maybe see 5 or 6 cars...
I don't think they open until 4 pm . . . at least during winter hours.
You are right, never thought...
Winter Hours
Sun - Thurs 4:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Fri/Sat 4:00 PM - 11:00 PM

Summer Hours
Mon - Thurs 4:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Fri/Sat/Sun 11:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Patio is open. People out there using it too!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:Patio is open.  People out there using it too!
Haha I saw that too today. The river was actually pretty busy on both sides which was nice to see without a scheduled event.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Storz requesting their liquor license extend to the south
requests permission for an addition to their present Class “C” and Catering Liquor License location of a 2nd outdoor area approx. 120’ x 192’ to the south.

I presume that is the empty plot of grass right next door to them? Any ideas what they are up to?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I thought Stothert had her eye on that property for development?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Originally a Latin restaurant was supposed to be built on that property. No idea why that never happened.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Food Truck parking would be nice :yes:
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Another "The Yard"?
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Food Truck parking would be nice :yes:
Would be a wayyyyy better location for a food truck park than the current one.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:
Coyote wrote:Food Truck parking would be nice :yes:
Would be a wayyyyy better location for a food truck park than the current one.
I drove by the one on 11th the other evening. It is not within walking distance of anything but the Hot Shops and the Mastercraft. I was talking to a lady one evening in front of the Hampton who wanted to try out one of the food trucks, to support local, and she was afraid to walk that way. I told her Maria Bonita was parked next to Slowdown and she was off...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

9pm on a Sunday night as Storz is open and people are on the patio!
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I've been to the outdoor patio twice over the past weekend and I couldn't be more dissapointed. They are doing everything wrong. Sat evening at 9:00pm their were a total of 6 people on the patio and we had a difficult time getting a beer. Service is horrible, the deck is not inviting, horrible sound system, broken down chairs and tables. This deck bar should be packed, live music or least a quality sound system. Better lighting, |expletive|!!!! anything would be better then whats going on.
I asked about live music and the response was, "we're working the kinks out". Hello, it's almost August!!! The broken ceiliing fans above the bar just need one new blade but they have decided "it ads interest" to the bar and gets people asking questions. This place is a total fail and kills me!!!!.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:This place is a total fail and kills me!!!!.
I agree. They have been running from behind since the day they opened.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

In my opinion, this place was a bad idea from the beginning. I don't know why the idea of a single large structure that housed a single restsurant was ever approved. The landing area draws people of all ages throughout the year and a "one size fits all" place does not work. If 3 or 4 smaller structures would have been built so a variety of restaurants could a have occupied the area, I'm sure the landing would be even more populate and successfull.
I lived in a place that had 3 small buildings (I think about 800sqft) that every year people put their applications in to lease for the spring/summer/fall. The lease was VERY affordable, and each was equipped with a basic small restaurant kitchen. The community board selected what local residents would occupy them. Always had an ice cream or gelato place, a wrap/sandwich/taco shop and the a fancier food restaurant. All had walk up ordering and out door seating and seating inside for 12-15 people. Every year they were very popular and the park was always a busy gather area. I would like to see something similar to that down there. Or AV.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Thats a really cool idea. Something like that on the empty plot south of Storz would be interesting.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The thing is, we have no idea how a well run establishment of this size would do here. The complaints with Storz are similar to what I encountered several times with Rick's.

Greg
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

One of the big issues in running it well IS its size. Even if the current owner are running it very well, there are so many strikes against it. Everything from location, demorgraphics its trying to appeal to, seasonal changes, and its size, make it a difficult endeavor. I cross my fingers and hope that it will become a successful restaurant, but i dont think luck is on its side.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We have been meaning to try Storz, as they have an interesting menu posted online, but I keep forgetting that it is down on the river. Do they ever advertise?
Friends recently dined there. One set liked it. The others found it god-awful, and said they would never return.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Dining review: Improvement, but still challenges at Storz
Sarah Baker Hansen: World-Herald staff writer wrote:But there are still serious challenges. Its location, in a massive building perched all alone on a bank of the Missouri River, is out of the way. Its reputation, after pulling one of its beers from shelves in February because it tasted bad, was tarnished. And its service, at least on our visits, was uneven at best and comical at worst.
Location is important to Omaha diners, but good food and good service are more important. Storz needs to improve those basics before the city will ever give it a real chance.
Good for Sarah telling it like it is...
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Maybe they should have waited to open a restaraunt until they figure out how to brew beer.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Louie wrote:Maybe they should have waited to open a restaraunt until they figure out how to brew beer.
I concur. Soon after they opened, Brad and I both had a flight of their beers here. I thought all four were undrinkable, not finishing a single glass. They have ruined the Storz Brand. While there, all the wait staff was having their own party around the bar, they forgot about us and that they were serving a restaurant. I haven't returned...