Missouri River Commons (Riverfront Development)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Re: Missouri River Commons (Riverfront Development)

Post by NEDodger »

Interesting that, between the two maps, there is so much space dedicated to "Event Space" when that was among one of the LEAST-wanted things in that long list of items...
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

NEDodger wrote:Interesting that, between the two maps, there is so much space dedicated to "Event Space" when that was among one of the LEAST-wanted things in that long list of items...
I agree!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I dunno it’s kind of a pain in the àss when they shut down streets for those summer festivals..
15-17, 26, 32
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Paved surfaces work best for setting up things such as the summer arts festival. The new ideas show mostly grass. I hope they provide a good mix of hard surface along with grass. HOA park doesn't really work well for anything. The grassy areas are either too small or too sloped with too many trees to get a good view of a performance stage.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
tpaine
New to the Neighborhood

Post by tpaine »

Sioux City's council already approved their riverfront design - which includes a large iconic artistic element or Ferris Wheel that will be visible from the interstate. Overall riverfront design looks very nice and will compliment their existing marina. Hope Omaha's planners take note and include something iconic as well to attract people to our riverfront.

http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/ ... e3165.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Here is what was presented for the CB side of the river two days ago.

1 Page handout
http://riverfrontrevitalization.com/|expletive| ... _PRINT.pdf

Presentation with tons of AMAZING conceptual renderings. I especially love the observation tower/treetop boardwalk, the rock climbing wall and zipline, and the tornado-esque design of the nature center at the foot of the pedestrian bridge.
http://riverfrontrevitalization.com/|expletive| ... educed.pdf

And these were the boards they had up, pretty much the same images as the presentation.
http://riverfrontrevitalization.com/|expletive| ... educed.pdf
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

When people ask "what can Omaha do to become a better city", this is the answer. If fully enacted, these parks will be a regional destination and greatly enhance the quality of life for area residents, ESPECIALLY those living downtown and in council bluffs. Stoked to see these renderings and they make me more excited to see the plans on the Omaha side - I really hope Heritage pulls through.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

If that gets developed, it will be damn near the best news any city in the country could hear.

You guys know me, Ive been pretty negative for a while. My jaw is still on the floor and Im a quarter of the way finished.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

Erik wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:39 pm If that gets developed, it will be darn near the best news any city in the country could hear.

You guys know me, Ive been pretty negative for a while. My jaw is still on the floor and Im a quarter of the way finished.
Personal opinion - if someone financed all of Doug B's vision for what a city should be... Omaha would be a top 3 city in the country. He's got his hands in a lot of Omaha's civic planning seeing this isn't at all shocking as to what the city could be. The problem is someone needs to step up and finance it.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

MLS listings today for the condo tower. $500,000 to 600,000.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I love the idea of the Wilds. It's like a smaller version of Fontenelle Forest. I particularly like the idea of creating canopy walk. The observation tower is okay as long as it's modest. I very tall observation tower would be very awkward.

I love the Meadows as well. There's an alluding to the natural history of the area which allows tourists to understand how this place is unique. The Turrell art/sculpture installation? Awesome :-)

The Marina wasn't addressed in their interest survey, so I'm not sure why that was added. I used to go boating on the Missouri when I was a kid, and the only people who boated were older fun loving wealthy people. When on the actual river however, I couldn't help but always be afraid of body of water that was so utterly dangerous. Maybe I'm wrong and there's high demand for this?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Taco wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:35 am When people ask "what can Omaha do to become a better city", this is the answer. If fully enacted, these parks will be a regional destination and greatly enhance the quality of life for area residents, ESPECIALLY those living downtown and in council bluffs. Stoked to see these renderings and they make me more excited to see the plans on the Omaha side - I really hope Heritage pulls through.
Totally agree. No set plans on a building or anything, but massive incentives for people to want to invest in downtown. This is awesome.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (232.47 KiB) Viewed 31130 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (180.38 KiB) Viewed 31130 times
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Coyote wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:59 pmimage.jpeg
This is pretty similar to the one we got months ago right? Still loving it
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Garrett wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:53 pm This is pretty similar to the one we got months ago right? Still loving it
Goodbye, Gene Leahy Mall
Hello, Riverfront Revitalization Redux
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

I think in order for any riverfront development to be successful, as the study posted above says, is the walkways need to be completed and connected and there need to be MANY more pedestrian links across the river. They do not have to be pieces of civic art and pride like Bob, but some of them could.
#gohawks
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

I am very impressed with what they have come up with on the CB side of the river, and will still be amazed if they do even half of it, honestly I like the design of the round nature center and the observation tower, as well as the reuse of the old Aksarben bridge pier. On Omaha side it sounds like a total rebuild of Gene Leahy, but I am curious to see what the whole thing cold look like once it is done. Also doesn't the new design remind everyone of the concepts from, when was it the 70s? Very impressed so far, would like to see this happen.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

buildomaha wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:00 pm I think in order for any riverfront development to be successful, as the study posted above says, is the walkways need to be completed and connected and there need to be MANY more pedestrian links across the river. They do not have to be pieces of civic art and pride like Bob, but some of them could.
I don't think they could build a bridge across the river for much less then the Bob. Civic art or not that is one cheap looking bridge. They won't be building anymore bridges for pedestrians anytime soon is the reality.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

CB side fly through video posted 2 weeks ago.

https://vimeo.com/279569448
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Looks pretty solid, though I doubt it’ll be as busy as the renderings depict.

This is A LOT of park land for the area. I kinda think they should scale it back a bit as far as amenities and stick to having trails in a lot of parts.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I almost look at all those active things as more of a regional draw than a park space for downtown residents/workers. I could totally see families making a day trip to do ziplines, rock wall, treetop paths and packing a lunch. Kind of like a Mahoney-lite on the river.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:16 pm CB side fly through video posted 2 weeks ago.

https://vimeo.com/279569448
Looks great. Hopefully its all stuff that is OK to go under water since most of that land has flooded at least 3 times this decade (2010, 2011, 2018).
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Coyote wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:39 pm
I love this video. Watched it several time when they released it. I really hope that residential tower comes to fruition.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Coyote wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:39 pm
The part of that video where there are tons of people hanging out is total Fake News, propaganda, developer hype, lies or whatever you want to call it. All those people hanging out downtown at that park with a bunch of dumb statues and benches :roll:
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Definitely an optimistic point of view when it comes to utilization and commercial expansion. But, if this comes to fruition I'd sure be happy about it.

On a totally unrelated note, I watched it without volume and the opening 30sec looked like it should have a Randy Newman soundtrack behind it.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

almighty_tuna wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:02 am Definitely an optimistic point of view when it comes to utilization and commercial expansion. But, if this comes to fruition I'd sure be happy about it.
I watched another of OJB's video's of a part they designed in Dallas.

https://vimeo.com/215675994

Looks very similar to the GLM portion of the Riverfront revitalization project. Looks like if an event were going on, we would see that many people utilizing that area. Additionally, if that commercial expansion, and hopefully some mid-rise residential towers thrown in there for good measure, I don't see why people living downtown wouldn't utilize this redevelopment. To me this is similar to Sioux Falls' watherfall park. We visiting over the summer on a random weekend and it was busy, but not crowded. People were watching the falls, walking their dogs, exercising, going for a bike ride, eating at the water fall cafeteria. I was surprised how many people were there. I know our riverfront does not have the draw or sheer beauty of Sioux Falls' waterfalls, but if we could get similar use of this project, once it's completed, I think it would be awesome.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

On Grow Omaha on Saturday, I think they said to expect most (if not all) of the buildings in the renderings and videos to be built.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

On Grow Omaha on Saturday, I think they said to expect most (if not all) of the buildings in the renderings and videos to be built.

That residential tower looks close to the same height as the Woodmen Tower and the building close to the river, as well as one of the ConAgra buildings looks close to the height of the Landmark Tower.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

CyborgKen wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:52 pm On Grow Omaha on Saturday, I think they said to expect most (if not all) of the buildings in the renderings and videos to be built.
As in they had plans for it or they had investors/developers ready?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

CyborgKen wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:52 pm On Grow Omaha on Saturday, I think they said to expect most (if not all) of the buildings in the renderings and videos to be built.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Louie wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:38 pm
I'm not sure....sounded like just plans.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

CyborgKen wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:50 pm
Louie wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:38 pm
I'm not sure....sounded like just plans.
Darn
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Per the recent OWH article about the Riverfront, Lewis and Clark Landing and some access points are closing down around Labor Day. We are going to have all three parks under construction very soon. Downtown's road situation due to construction everywhere has been kind of a mess, but I am glad to see everything with project moving forward. I think critic mentioned it in another post, but there is virtually no activity at GLM right now. Does anyone know what's going on?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/omaha.com/ ... 3.amp.html
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

There is and has been substantial work being done on the GLM. The GLM runs from 13th street to 8th st, previously it started at 14th street. The continued demolition of existing concrete and the installation of all new utilities continues from 10th to 8th street. 13th to 10th is doing just fine as the dirt settles and Hines electrical is there off and on doing some work. The Heartland park will sit for time once the dirt is in place, it must compact and settle, hence its longer time line then the landing.
Last edited by ItsAllAboutMe on Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:39 pm There is and has been substantial work being done on the GLM. The GLM runs from 13th street to 8th st, previously it started at 14th street. The continued demolition of existing concrete and the installation of all new utilities continues from 10th to 8th street. 13th to 10th is doing just fine as the dirt settles and Hines electrical is there off and on doing some work. The Heartland park will sit for time once the dirt is in place, it must compact and settle, hence its longer time line the the landing.
Thank you very much for the factual intel.. It sounds like they’re keeping up with their timeline just fine...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omahacritic
Human Relations

Post by Omahacritic »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:46 pm
ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:39 pm There is and has been substantial work being done on the GLM. The GLM runs from 13th street to 8th st, previously it started at 14th street. The continued demolition of existing concrete and the installation of all new utilities continues from 10th to 8th street. 13th to 10th is doing just fine as the dirt settles and Hines electrical is there off and on doing some work. The Heartland park will sit for time once the dirt is in place, it must compact and settle, hence its longer time line the the landing.
Thank you very much for the factual intel.. It sounds like they’re keeping up with their timeline just fine...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
No, the facts are these ...

nothing from 10th St to 14th since early in June. Nada! Nichts! Nothing! No electric work. Hines isn’t doing squat! Oh, they might have a work trailer parked there, but not so much as a Big Wheel has been parked during the day.
Landscapers aren’t even cutting down the noxious weeds. The Farnam St side still has 20 tree stumps, weeds growing through the brick. No sense of urgency.

Heartland Park area west to 10th St ... still putting dirt in Boss’s yard. Still haven’t bothered to demolish all the concrete. Though, last week the finished demo on the pond. What’s the rush? , it’s only been 15 months. I seriously doubt anything more than installation of storm drainage is being installed as most of the land is still a rubble field.

Lewis and Clark ... irrigation has been turned off for awhile. They removed the faux umbrellas from the Martin Luther King pedestrian bridge. It’s been 3 days, so they might have brought some barricades in. But I did walk through it on Wednesday.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omahacritic wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:42 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:46 pm

Ciao..LiO...Peace
No, the facts are these ...

nothing from 10th St to 14th since early in June. Nada! Nichts! Nothing! No electric work. Hines isn’t doing squat! Oh, they might have a work trailer parked there, but not so much as a Big Wheel has been parked during the day.
Landscapers aren’t even cutting down the noxious weeds. The Farnam St side still has 20 tree stumps, weeds growing through the brick. No sense of urgency.

Heartland Park area west to 10th St ... still putting dirt in Boss’s yard. Still haven’t bothered to demolish all the concrete. Though, last week the finished demo on the pond. What’s the rush? , it’s only been 15 months. I seriously doubt anything more than installation of storm drainage is being installed as most of the land is still a rubble field.

Lewis and Clark ... irrigation has been turned off for awhile. They removed the faux umbrellas from the Martin Luther King pedestrian bridge. It’s been 3 days, so they might have brought some barricades in. But I did walk through it on Wednesday.
You walked by the GLM construction area and came up with all of this?..

Regarding your “facts”-

Where is the confirmation that Hines “isn’t doing squat”.. You talked to them lately?.. Have you talked with the landscapers and they have definitively communicated to you “no sense of urgency” and that they’re doing nothing. Your proof? Perhaps a source you can site to confirm?..

You continue to make numerous statements insinuating they’re “facts” regarding- what you believe to be- the lack of construction progress with this project..but (again) where is the confirmation? Where are the source(s) of intel you’ve received to back them up?.. Please enlighten us..

Because until you do, your statements are just peanut gallery walk-by commentary which holds little, if any, factual truth...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:25 pm Because until you do, your statements are just peanut gallery walk-by commentary which holds little, if any, factual truth...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Yep he loves to be that Sidewalk Supervisor!
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett