Missouri River Commons (Riverfront Development)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7804
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby MTO » Tue May 17, 2016 10:36 am

The museum (science center :D ) idea is worth putting full effort in from all sides.. Couldn't they build a structure on stilts so-to-speak if there's not enough resources to clean the soil?
15-17, 26, 32

guest2017
Home Owners Association
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 7:02 am

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby guest2017 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:22 am

Spatial77 wrote:This is a case of the government being penny wise by burying the contaminants in situ, but being pound foolish because it prohibits any real future development on the site. They should have removed the material from the site during the remediation process. Of course this would have taken some foresight and planning to imagine a different outcome (was this an HDR project?).


You can only do what your client wants you to (the city should get full blame for this)... http://www.hdrinc.com/portfolio/asarco- ... emediation

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20090
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby Coyote » Tue May 17, 2016 11:24 am

Would stilts or pylons breach the cap beyond regulation?
Image

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1817
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby GetUrban » Tue May 17, 2016 11:47 am

Coyote wrote:Would stilts or pylons breach the cap beyond regulation?


You could do some kind of cantilevered structure and keep the footings within the old Rick's/Storz footprint...

Image

Image

Image

But stilts penetrating the cap would most likely not be allowed, unless you resealed the cap around the penetrations.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 5906
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Tue May 17, 2016 12:36 pm

I have the solution!!-

HDR building their corporate HQ!s on this site... Oh never mind..

:;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

guest2017
Home Owners Association
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 7:02 am

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby guest2017 » Tue May 17, 2016 3:31 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I have the solution!!-

HDR building their corporate HQ!s on this site... Oh never mind..

:;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


Page 116 and 117: http://urbanplanning.cityofomaha.org/images/stories/Master%20Plan%20Elements/downtown_omaha_2030_web.pdf

Then, take the two surface level lots in front of ricks - remove the west side of it, add in 1-level retail, drop in a parking structure on the back side of an HDR building, and you'd be solid. You keep parking for the CenturyLink, add in a reason to go to the riverfront, get a headline building downtown. Add in the two condo buildings by Heartland of America, and you've got more livable area too - unfortunately, this is all a dream.

User avatar
PotatoeEatsFish
Library Board
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby PotatoeEatsFish » Tue May 17, 2016 4:21 pm

MTO wrote:The museum (science center :D ) idea is worth putting full effort in from all sides.. Couldn't they build a structure on stilts so-to-speak if there's not enough resources to clean the soil?


Or just dock a huge boat and make it into a museum. Not sure if you can haul large boats up the Missouri though.
I got that Milf $

User avatar
PotatoeEatsFish
Library Board
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby PotatoeEatsFish » Tue May 17, 2016 4:27 pm

I have kind of a weird idea. You could get rid of that stone cliff by Rick's and make it a pool with a beach. The 3 walls would be glass which would keep the water higher than the river and keep them separated.
I got that Milf $

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1661
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby HR Paperstacks » Tue May 17, 2016 5:21 pm

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:I have kind of a weird idea. You could get rid of that stone cliff by Rick's and make it a pool with a beach. The 3 walls would be glass which would keep the water higher than the river and keep them separated.

Can't because of the cap.

As for the big boat - I don't see why not. They used to have the casino boats on the Iowa side.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 5906
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Tue May 17, 2016 6:59 pm

guest2017 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:I have the solution!!-

HDR building their corporate HQ!s on this site... Oh never mind..

:;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


Page 116 and 117: http://urbanplanning.cityofomaha.org/images/stories/Master%20Plan%20Elements/downtown_omaha_2030_web.pdf

Then, take the two surface level lots in front of ricks - remove the west side of it, add in 1-level retail, drop in a parking structure on the back side of an HDR building, and you'd be solid. You keep parking for the CenturyLink, add in a reason to go to the riverfront, get a headline building downtown. Add in the two condo buildings by Heartland of America, and you've got more livable area too - unfortunately, this is all a dream.


That's kind of the direction I was going with my comment. I like your style and your vision :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

guest2017
Home Owners Association
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 7:02 am

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby guest2017 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:54 pm

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:I have kind of a weird idea. You could get rid of that stone cliff by Rick's and make it a pool with a beach. The 3 walls would be glass which would keep the water higher than the river and keep them separated.


The "stone cliff" is shore stabilization. You'd have to either move that back with more walls (how Chicago does it) or keep it in place. Moving it back would confine it to the Rick's spot only or you're looking at superfund site cleanup again.

cdub
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1206
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:38 pm
Location: Basement with my red swingline

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby cdub » Wed May 18, 2016 8:29 am

a) the City was limited by the money available from Asarco. Perhaps if they had a crystal ball they could have done it differently, but removing every bit of contamination was probably not a realistic option even at that.
b) you definitely can not build footings for such a cantilever without going well down below where they are currently.
c) There are some ideas floating that I like that max out the current pads and build up considerably at the west side of the fill. This would 'close' in the space quite well and put a lot more eyes and feet in the area. Also, parking moves out of the way more.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20090
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby Coyote » Wed May 18, 2016 9:05 am

cdub wrote:c) There are some ideas floating that I like


Care to share any of the ideas you have heard?
Image

Erik
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby Erik » Wed May 18, 2016 10:13 am

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I have the solution!!-

HDR building their corporate HQ!s on this site... Oh never mind..

:;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


It's impossible. Only one downtown location could work for HDRs replica of the OWH building. I promise, however, to save the storz building by flexing my ever-powerful facebooking protest muscles if they attempt to even try.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 5906
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Wed May 18, 2016 12:23 pm

Erik wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:I have the solution!!-

HDR building their corporate HQ!s on this site... Oh never mind..

:;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


It's impossible.


As the cliche' goes- If history has taught us anything, it's that ANYTHING is possible...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
choke
Human Relations
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby choke » Wed May 18, 2016 6:07 pm

I say something similar to KC's Starlight Amphitheater:
Attachments
starlight.jpg
starlight.jpg (65.03 KiB) Viewed 1595 times

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7804
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby MTO » Wed May 18, 2016 7:01 pm

I though amphitheater as well but isn't that was the CB side has?
15-17, 26, 32

User avatar
choke
Human Relations
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby choke » Wed May 18, 2016 10:00 pm

MTO wrote:I though amphitheater as well but isn't that was the CB side has?


They do have Stir Cove. Can't overlook that I suppose. It would be hard to compete for outdoor acts against Harrah's. I didn't think about that. I certainly don't want sand volleyball courts where the bums can urinate in the sand at night.

guest2017
Home Owners Association
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 7:02 am

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby guest2017 » Wed May 18, 2016 10:05 pm

choke wrote:
MTO wrote:I though amphitheater as well but isn't that was the CB side has?


They do have Stir Cove. Can't overlook that I suppose. It would be hard to compete for outdoor acts against Harrah's. I didn't think about that. I certainly don't want sand volleyball courts where the bums can urinate in the sand at night.


He's talking about Tom Hanafan River's Edge Park, which also hosts concerts (Loessfest) and stuff. Literally right across the pedestrian bridge from Rick's.

User avatar
choke
Human Relations
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby choke » Thu May 19, 2016 1:27 pm

guest2017 wrote:
choke wrote:
MTO wrote:I though amphitheater as well but isn't that was the CB side has?


They do have Stir Cove. Can't overlook that I suppose. It would be hard to compete for outdoor acts against Harrah's. I didn't think about that. I certainly don't want sand volleyball courts where the bums can urinate in the sand at night.


He's talking about Tom Hanafan River's Edge Park, which also hosts concerts (Loessfest) and stuff. Literally right across the pedestrian bridge from Rick's.



I understood that and no disrespect to Iowa but if Omaha put an amphitheater on its side of the river it should be able to lure acts away from the Iowa side. In my opinion at least. Harrah's is another issue though. Hard to go up against big casino money.

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7804
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby MTO » Thu May 19, 2016 2:05 pm

If we did it on our side of the Mo I'm sure we'd go grander but I'm also sure MECA would lose their |expletive| since it would compete with the Qwest and the ballpark. Maybe we should just try for a fancy riverside park. There are some very cool urban park designes out there.
15-17, 26, 32

guest2017
Home Owners Association
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 7:02 am

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby guest2017 » Thu May 19, 2016 2:16 pm

choke wrote:
guest2017 wrote:
choke wrote:
MTO wrote:I though amphitheater as well but isn't that was the CB side has?


They do have Stir Cove. Can't overlook that I suppose. It would be hard to compete for outdoor acts against Harrah's. I didn't think about that. I certainly don't want sand volleyball courts where the bums can urinate in the sand at night.


He's talking about Tom Hanafan River's Edge Park, which also hosts concerts (Loessfest) and stuff. Literally right across the pedestrian bridge from Rick's.



I understood that and no disrespect to Iowa but if Omaha put an amphitheater on its side of the river it should be able to lure acts away from the Iowa side. In my opinion at least. Harrah's is another issue though. Hard to go up against big casino money.


There's literally no need for this.

1. You'd mash four capable concert venues right next to each other - TD, CenturyLink, Hanafan and a new one? Granted, they can serve distinct groups/sizes of concert and one is inside, but when you upstage Hanafan, you already have options to move elsewhere. Being on the riverfront doesn't matter.

2. There are enough concert venues in Omaha already. You see amazing venues already being marginally used (other than concerts) - why would we add to that especially when it would most likely come at the city's expense?

3. They've done riverfront concerts in the past. They've nearly all moved to Turner Park, which is significantly nicer, not a million degrees and already established. Plus, it's only 2 miles away. That's not far enough to make a riverfront venue notable or distinct.

There's a thousand other things that can go here, an amphitheater shouldn't be one of them.

User avatar
choke
Human Relations
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby choke » Thu May 19, 2016 9:25 pm

guest2017 wrote:
choke wrote:
guest2017 wrote:
choke wrote:
MTO wrote:I though amphitheater as well but isn't that was the CB side has?


They do have Stir Cove. Can't overlook that I suppose. It would be hard to compete for outdoor acts against Harrah's. I didn't think about that. I certainly don't want sand volleyball courts where the bums can urinate in the sand at night.


He's talking about Tom Hanafan River's Edge Park, which also hosts concerts (Loessfest) and stuff. Literally right across the pedestrian bridge from Rick's.



I understood that and no disrespect to Iowa but if Omaha put an amphitheater on its side of the river it should be able to lure acts away from the Iowa side. In my opinion at least. Harrah's is another issue though. Hard to go up against big casino money.


There's literally no need for this.

1. You'd mash four capable concert venues right next to each other - TD, CenturyLink, Hanafan and a new one? Granted, they can serve distinct groups/sizes of concert and one is inside, but when you upstage Hanafan, you already have options to move elsewhere. Being on the riverfront doesn't matter.

2. There are enough concert venues in Omaha already. You see amazing venues already being marginally used (other than concerts) - why would we add to that especially when it would most likely come at the city's expense?

3. They've done riverfront concerts in the past. They've nearly all moved to Turner Park, which is significantly nicer, not a million degrees and already established. Plus, it's only 2 miles away. That's not far enough to make a riverfront venue notable or distinct.

There's a thousand other things that can go here, an amphitheater shouldn't be one of them.


I agree with that. Stir Cove is a nice venue. No need for another outdoor concert venue. I don't agree with a "a thousand other things" though. I think it's pretty limited if you're goal is to draw people down to the riverfront consistently. Why should I go down there?

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7804
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby MTO » Thu May 19, 2016 10:33 pm

choke wrote:
guest2017 wrote:
choke wrote:
guest2017 wrote:
choke wrote:
MTO wrote:I though amphitheater as well but isn't that was the CB side has?


They do have Stir Cove. Can't overlook that I suppose. It would be hard to compete for outdoor acts against Harrah's. I didn't think about that. I certainly don't want sand volleyball courts where the bums can urinate in the sand at night.


He's talking about Tom Hanafan River's Edge Park, which also hosts concerts (Loessfest) and stuff. Literally right across the pedestrian bridge from Rick's.



I understood that and no disrespect to Iowa but if Omaha put an amphitheater on its side of the river it should be able to lure acts away from the Iowa side. In my opinion at least. Harrah's is another issue though. Hard to go up against big casino money.


There's literally no need for this.

1. You'd mash four capable concert venues right next to each other - TD, CenturyLink, Hanafan and a new one? Granted, they can serve distinct groups/sizes of concert and one is inside, but when you upstage Hanafan, you already have options to move elsewhere. Being on the riverfront doesn't matter.

2. There are enough concert venues in Omaha already. You see amazing venues already being marginally used (other than concerts) - why would we add to that especially when it would most likely come at the city's expense?

3. They've done riverfront concerts in the past. They've nearly all moved to Turner Park, which is significantly nicer, not a million degrees and already established. Plus, it's only 2 miles away. That's not far enough to make a riverfront venue notable or distinct.

There's a thousand other things that can go here, an amphitheater shouldn't be one of them.


I agree with that. Stir Cove is a nice venue. No need for another outdoor concert venue. I don't agree with a "a thousand other things" though. I think it's pretty limited if you're goal is to draw people down to the riverfront consistently. Why should I go down there?


That ped bridge seams to draw people down to it and every time I stop at rivers edge park I always see at least a few people. So you'd be surprised you may not need another super block project to draw people to it
15-17, 26, 32

guest2017
Home Owners Association
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 7:02 am

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby guest2017 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:14 pm

choke wrote:I agree with that. Stir Cove is a nice venue. No need for another outdoor concert venue. I don't agree with a "a thousand other things" though. I think it's pretty limited if you're goal is to draw people down to the riverfront consistently. Why should I go down there?


The funny thing is that I don't think it needs to be a huge draw for people that are coming from other parts of Omaha. I'm there every weekend and there are people around - even when there is nothing going on at the CenturyLink. The bike racks downtown have made this area more popular. The pedestrian bridge is always full on weekends - and there's always a few people mulling about on weeknights.

1. Expand the Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail Visitor Center - which is literally right now a hallway in the National Park Service building. Build something respectable. This deserves it more than anything else. After all, we're talking about the Lewis and Clark Landing area.
2. Children's Museum, which has been mentioned.
3. Replace Freedom Park. Freedom Park, north of downtown, is not a destination and the Hazard and Marlin both could be moved to a more prominent spot.
3.1. This could also incorporate a lot more greenspace - which I dislike about the concrete jungle that's currently there. It's not inviting or welcoming. I can't go and have a picnic there. If you're walking, there's nowhere to quite enjoy what's around. I love ConAgra's lake, but would love it if it were 3 times as big and the trail didn't go into that awful plaza north.
4. Literally any museum. This would be a draw for people staying at the north downtown hotels - which have all seemed to thrive.
5. A 'Power and Lights' district similar to KC. Somewhere to go after events at the stadium or CenturyLink. Every year when I go to the CWS or concerts, it's always annoying to have to go to the old market or drive across town to go to bars or late night food. Not exactly like P&L, but similar. I think you could incorporate the food trucks that restaurants in the old market hate right now too.
6. Mixed use. I actually am a fan of the parking in the front of the CenturyLink - maybe I'm in the minority, but it's convenient. I think we could move the mixed use to the back, but it would need to be connected better to 10th street - which is a huge issue right now.
7. Riverboat / tour docking. I think the River City Star docks at Freedom Park - I'm not sure if people actually use it? I know my old employer used to rent it out a few times a year for anyone who wanted to go. Might be more popular if they had a better spot?
8. Startup / art area - Mastercraft and Hot Shops are neat areas and definitely busy - but they're out of the way. Would love to see expansion of both of these.
9. Shopping - huge lack of it in north downtown. Not sure what kind of shopping, but something outside of food and alcohol.
10. Theme park. Not possible but would be fun.
11. Bring back everything from the Trans-Mississippi Expo and demolish everything else along the riverfront to make way for it.
12. Stockyards.

The worst part of this is that we're looking at a relatively segregated spot. There is no direct connection to 10th street - that was proposed a LONG time ago. If that connection ever comes through, the area will be a hit. If it doesn't, look for marginal use. Also, the back of the CenturyLink is not attractive. The bridge from the CenturyLink to the riverfront is not great - it could be expanded and they could just deck the CenturyLink parking lot, put greenspace on top.

Just thoughts. I have a lot of other things I'd like to personally see there, but would not be interesting enough to be sustainable.

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Fri May 20, 2016 9:26 am

The worst part of this is that we're looking at a relatively segregated spot.

I really think this is the biggest issue here.
It's literally further east than downtown, and there is only one odd street that leads there.

User avatar
thenewguy
Planning Board
Posts: 2864
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby thenewguy » Fri May 20, 2016 9:43 am

The 'direct access' argument is something i have never understood. I think it has more to do with the mindset that everyone feels like they should be entitled to drive right up to the front door of wherever it is they are going. As it is right now, it is hardly out of the way to make an extra turn after you turn right from 10th street. No doubt that there may be validity to that argument if you are explaining some people's points of view, but that doesn't make them any less stupid.

If they are going to remove Rick's, why not turn it into a midway of some kind instead? Make it a big tourist trap like the one in Manitou Springs (adjacent to Colorado Springs). Here's the get-up, in case you've never visited there: there are many little store fronts (not saying we need to do that, but it wouldn't hurt). They sell Colorado t-shirts, Manitou Springs t-shirts, stuff bears/moose/birds/novelty magnetic license plates, etc. They have small candy shops. They have small cafes. They have an arcade in the middle of it all. They have a pond or creek (i don't remember) in the middle of it all. Basically, it feels kind of like a '50's era small town at the foot of the mountains. They have Pike's Peak as a draw, we have the Mighty Mo' as a draw.

So how could we mimic that? Well, for starters, build some small store fronts, and a pavilion for an arcade. It's cheep, it's cheesy, and people would enjoy the carnival type atmosphere. Build a modest Ferris Wheel, maybe a rip cord or detonator (world's of fun), maybe the classic octopus ride like at fairs, etc. Put up historic placards and walk-ways celebrating the history of the river, and incorporate the history of Omaha. You could have gift shops that sold shot glasses with river trout on them, bald eagle stuffed animals, sand hill cranes, buffalo, trains, etc. You could put an Olley the Trolley type depot down there that tourists could ride on to drive around downtown and the local proximity to see what's going on.

As far as green space goes? Enh. There is Tom Hanafan park across the river with a huge lawn. It's great for laying out with a book, flying a kite, playing frisbee, whatever, and it's not much of a walk to get there.
Go Cubs Go

guest2017
Home Owners Association
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 7:02 am

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby guest2017 » Fri May 20, 2016 10:17 am

thenewguy wrote:The 'direct access' argument is something i have never understood. I think it has more to do with the mindset that everyone feels like they should be entitled to drive right up to the front door of wherever it is they are going. As it is right now, it is hardly out of the way to make an extra turn after you turn right from 10th street. No doubt that there may be validity to that argument if you are explaining some people's points of view, but that doesn't make them any less stupid.


This has nothing to do with that mindset - because a road over the tracks has not been the primary argument - the talk has nearly always been a pedestrian bridge. This has to do with making downtown more walkable. You're obviously forgetting that not all of us drive there. If I'm at a baseball game, I'm less likely to walk all the way to the south side of the CenturyLink (which I'm positive out of towners are unaware the stairs go to the bridge that goes to the riverfront) or all the way up to the Cuming Street entrance just to go to the riverfront. It's less about vehicular traffic and more about there should be pedestrian access from Meca Drive over the railroad tracks.

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Fri May 20, 2016 10:42 am

The 'direct access' argument is something i have never understood.

It's behind a rather long building AND on the other side of railroad tracks. It's not visible. There's no regular traffic driving by, so business suffers.

I don't need a street that takes me "directly" there. It's just in a very odd and inconvenient location. When they build the bridge on the north side of the Century Link it will be a bit better.

guest2017
Home Owners Association
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 7:02 am

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby guest2017 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:19 am

Omaha_corn_burner wrote: When they build the bridge on the north side of the Century Link it will be a bit better.


*if they build the bridge.

User avatar
thenewguy
Planning Board
Posts: 2864
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby thenewguy » Fri May 20, 2016 11:42 am

Understandable, and the pedestrian access is a valid argument. I will amend my previous statement and say this: add in a pedestrian bridge, because it makes sense. I was referring specifically to the previous comment (can't remember which poster said it) that a direct route should be added; i just assumed they meant vehicular traffic.
Go Cubs Go

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Fri May 20, 2016 11:43 am

guest2017 wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote: When they build the bridge on the north side of the Century Link it will be a bit better.


*if they build the bridge.

I thought this was "set in stone"?

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1661
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby HR Paperstacks » Fri May 20, 2016 12:40 pm

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
guest2017 wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote: When they build the bridge on the north side of the Century Link it will be a bit better.


*if they build the bridge.

I thought this was "set in stone"?

It will happen.

Athomsfere
Home Owners Association
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby Athomsfere » Sun May 22, 2016 7:57 am

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
guest2017 wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote: When they build the bridge on the north side of the Century Link it will be a bit better.


*if they build the bridge.

I thought this was "set in stone"?

It will happen.


Unless it doesn't.

(I feel so zen)

User avatar
choke
Human Relations
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby choke » Sun May 22, 2016 8:50 am

Athomsfere wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
guest2017 wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote: When they build the bridge on the north side of the Century Link it will be a bit better.


*if they build the bridge.

I thought this was "set in stone"?

It will happen.


Unless it doesn't.

(I feel so zen)



The baby Bob is coming :thumb:

User avatar
choke
Human Relations
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby choke » Sun May 22, 2016 8:51 am

choke wrote:
Athomsfere wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
guest2017 wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote: When they build the bridge on the north side of the Century Link it will be a bit better.


*if they build the bridge.

I thought this was "set in stone"?

It will happen.


Unless it doesn't.

(I feel so zen)



The mini-Bob is coming :thumb:

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7804
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby MTO » Sun May 22, 2016 9:34 am

Last I heard on the little bob construction was scheduled for 2018, about 10 years late in my opinion. Even if they installed one of those board walk things like they have to the south temporarily that would be better than nothing.
15-17, 26, 32

User avatar
choke
Human Relations
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby choke » Sun May 22, 2016 12:09 pm

MTO wrote:
choke wrote:
guest2017 wrote:
choke wrote:
guest2017 wrote:
choke wrote:
MTO wrote:I though amphitheater as well but isn't that was the CB side has?


They do have Stir Cove. Can't overlook that I suppose. It would be hard to compete for outdoor acts against Harrah's. I didn't think about that. I certainly don't want sand volleyball courts where the bums can urinate in the sand at night.


He's talking about Tom Hanafan River's Edge Park, which also hosts concerts (Loessfest) and stuff. Literally right across the pedestrian bridge from Rick's.



I understood that and no disrespect to Iowa but if Omaha put an amphitheater on its side of the river it should be able to lure acts away from the Iowa side. In my opinion at least. Harrah's is another issue though. Hard to go up against big casino money.


There's literally no need for this.

1. You'd mash four capable concert venues right next to each other - TD, CenturyLink, Hanafan and a new one? Granted, they can serve distinct groups/sizes of concert and one is inside, but when you upstage Hanafan, you already have options to move elsewhere. Being on the riverfront doesn't matter.

2. There are enough concert venues in Omaha already. You see amazing venues already being marginally used (other than concerts) - why would we add to that especially when it would most likely come at the city's expense?

3. They've done riverfront concerts in the past. They've nearly all moved to Turner Park, which is significantly nicer, not a million degrees and already established. Plus, it's only 2 miles away. That's not far enough to make a riverfront venue notable or distinct.

There's a thousand other things that can go here, an amphitheater shouldn't be one of them.


I agree with that. Stir Cove is a nice venue. No need for another outdoor concert venue. I don't agree with a "a thousand other things" though. I think it's pretty limited if you're goal is to draw people down to the riverfront consistently. Why should I go down there?


That ped bridge seams to draw people down to it and every time I stop at rivers edge park I always see at least a few people. So you'd be surprised you may not need another super block project to draw people to it


I am okay with a park where Rick's is as long as ConAgra gets developed. We already have Central Park and ConAgra for green space. Which, I think makes sense. Extend the Old Market, like it should have been in the first place (minus the century-old buildings now), and then move that green space to the riverfront.

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7804
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby MTO » Sun May 22, 2016 12:50 pm

choke wrote:
MTO wrote:
choke wrote:
guest2017 wrote:
choke wrote:
guest2017 wrote:
choke wrote:
MTO wrote:I though amphitheater as well but isn't that was the CB side has?


They do have Stir Cove. Can't overlook that I suppose. It would be hard to compete for outdoor acts against Harrah's. I didn't think about that. I certainly don't want sand volleyball courts where the bums can urinate in the sand at night.


He's talking about Tom Hanafan River's Edge Park, which also hosts concerts (Loessfest) and stuff. Literally right across the pedestrian bridge from Rick's.



I understood that and no disrespect to Iowa but if Omaha put an amphitheater on its side of the river it should be able to lure acts away from the Iowa side. In my opinion at least. Harrah's is another issue though. Hard to go up against big casino money.


There's literally no need for this.

1. You'd mash four capable concert venues right next to each other - TD, CenturyLink, Hanafan and a new one? Granted, they can serve distinct groups/sizes of concert and one is inside, but when you upstage Hanafan, you already have options to move elsewhere. Being on the riverfront doesn't matter.

2. There are enough concert venues in Omaha already. You see amazing venues already being marginally used (other than concerts) - why would we add to that especially when it would most likely come at the city's expense?

3. They've done riverfront concerts in the past. They've nearly all moved to Turner Park, which is significantly nicer, not a million degrees and already established. Plus, it's only 2 miles away. That's not far enough to make a riverfront venue notable or distinct.

There's a thousand other things that can go here, an amphitheater shouldn't be one of them.


I agree with that. Stir Cove is a nice venue. No need for another outdoor concert venue. I don't agree with a "a thousand other things" though. I think it's pretty limited if you're goal is to draw people down to the riverfront consistently. Why should I go down there?


That ped bridge seams to draw people down to it and every time I stop at rivers edge park I always see at least a few people. So you'd be surprised you may not need another super block project to draw people to it


I am okay with a park where Rick's is as long as ConAgra gets developed. We already have Central Park and ConAgra for green space. Which, I think makes sense. Extend the Old Market, like it should have been in the first place (minus the century-old buildings now), and then move that green space to the riverfront.


The more and more we talk about the Heartland of America Park, ConAgra campus and Ozarko area as one comprehensive project the more I realize the freeway bridge must go.
15-17, 26, 32

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1661
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby HR Paperstacks » Sun May 22, 2016 1:01 pm

MTO wrote:The more and more we talk about the Heartland of America Park, ConAgra campus and Ozarko area as one comprehensive project the more I realize the freeway bridge must go.

Well even if they took out the freeway, there would still have to be a bridge between DTO and CB.


Return to “Urban Omaha Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests