Missouri River Commons (Riverfront Development)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Post by Brad »

That great news. Some of those ideas aren't new like extending the streets (Which is a great idea). But I really like the re-aligned Dodge Park Golf Course. It takes the most prime part of Dodge Park and makes it in to development and then puts the that half golf course over on "worthless" land south of the railroad tracks. Could be a win-win for everyone.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The golfers I know that go there do so for the skyline view so getting team to move south may be difficult.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

City is taking bids now, estimated to cost $100,000.
15-17, 26, 32
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I just can't believe that place closed... I really hope something new goes in there. Omaha should be able to support a "hopping joint" next to our Missouri River downtown, I would think. Do we not want to enjoy our beautiful river? Maybe things will turn around when they finish all the stuff across the river in CB.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

RockHarbor wrote:I just can't believe that place closed... I really hope something new goes in there. Omaha should be able to support a "hopping joint" next to our Missouri River downtown, I would think. Do we not want to enjoy our beautiful river? Maybe things will turn around when they finish all the stuff across the river in CB.
I'm not really surprised it closed. I have never found too much of a reason to go down to that area and when I have for events on the riverwalk, I never even considered going in there. It just seemed so isolated. For this area to be inviting and work, I think a few things need to be around there - more like what they have planned for River's Edge Park in CB. And access needs to be better. It could really be a destination after events at CLC and TDAP if people could get there easier. And in order for that to happen, the pedestrian bridge extension needs to be done. Until there's that along with some more density, I just can't see anything really working down there.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I just can't believe that place closed... I really hope something new goes in there. Omaha should be able to support a "hopping joint" next to our Missouri River downtown, I would think. Do we not want to enjoy our beautiful river? Maybe things will turn around when they finish all the stuff across the river in CB.
I'm not really surprised it closed. I have never found too much of a reason to go down to that area and when I have for events on the riverwalk, I never even considered going in there. It just seemed so isolated. For this area to be inviting and work, I think a few things need to be around there - more like what they have planned for River's Edge Park in CB. And access needs to be better. It could really be a destination after events at CLC and TDAP if people could get there easier. And in order for that to happen, the pedestrian bridge extension needs to be done. Until there's that along with some more density, I just can't see anything really working down there.
You're right. I was thinking about how it is a little tricky getting to it (on that narrow road that winds you around and under the interstate). I think when it was new, there was more hype to be there, and have new access to the river, and a nice place to eat and openly view it. But, even with it not working out, I still think a fun joint with good food & music on our river sounds like something we could use. Maybe we could be a little more of a "jazz city" on the river, like KC.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

I think you posted in another thread that you do not live in Omaha currently?

The place was doomed after it opened. #1) It is hard to get to / bad location. #2) The food was nothing special #3) The beer was terrible. They even had a recall on some of their bottled beer. #4) They didn't even brew the beer and it wasn't even brewed in Omaha.

Of course, that is just my opinion, but really, it was nothing special combined with bad driving accessibility.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
I think you posted in another thread that you do not live in Omaha currently?

The place was doomed after it opened. #1) It is hard to get to / bad location. #2) The food was nothing special #3) The beer was terrible. They even had a recall on some of their bottled beer. #4) They didn't even brew the beer and it wasn't even brewed in Omaha.

Of course, that is just my opinion, but really, it was nothing special combined with bad driving accessibility.
Interesting. I never knew their food & beer was not exceptional. I never really ate in there much, but I have been in there, and went to events there, like "Taste of Omaha" or something. I just remember there was food & beverage tents.

Yes, I'm in Omaha. I grew up in Omaha, and my parents are from this area, but lived away from Omaha for 12-13 years (my family actually moved from Omaha to the St. Louis area in the late 90's), however, I've been back in Nebraska since late 2008. Since being back, I did move to Lincoln for 3 years (for schooling), but have been back in Omaha for 3 years now. (I'm glad I had the chance to live in Lincoln. It really is a nice, growing, energetic college town, and I feel like my view of Nebraska is enriched altogether.) Last summer, I considered a move to Chicago or NYC, craving a skyscraper-studded, very dense city, and traveled to NYC several times, but I have remained here, ultimately. I have considered a move to Texas, too. (Maybe that is what you read?) Anyways, love Omaha, always will. Love seeing the town grow & progress.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

I actually liked Storz, well I can't drink beer yet so idk about that part.
But their burgers weren't bad at all. :D
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bids for Storz demo opened tomorrow. They will probably get this down this summer.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I'm surprised they'd be in such a hurry to tear it down without first seeking RFP's for redevelopment of the land/property. That should be the #1 priority, imo. For the time being, somebody (the city) could make money renting it out for events, etc. The "clean slate" mentality rules in Omaha though. It will probably end up being parking.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I think Omaha could still use an observation tower. Nothing major, just something tall enough so you can see everything leading up to the first hill out of downtown.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

GetUrban wrote:I'm surprised they'd be in such a hurry to tear it down without first seeking RFP's for redevelopment of the land/property. That should be the #1 priority, imo. For the time being, somebody (the city) could make money renting it out for events, etc. The "clean slate" mentality rules in Omaha though. It will probably end up being parking.
Don't know all the details of the site, but this could be really complicated with what the land used to be and what is capped under there. Will probably be much easier for the city to get environmental/engineering work done w/o the structure there.

Would probably be hard to put out an RFP w/o knowing what type/size of building could even be built there.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

iamjacobm wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I'm surprised they'd be in such a hurry to tear it down without first seeking RFP's for redevelopment of the land/property. That should be the #1 priority, imo. For the time being, somebody (the city) could make money renting it out for events, etc. The "clean slate" mentality rules in Omaha though. It will probably end up being parking.
Don't know all the details of the site, but this could be really complicated with what the land used to be and what is capped under there. Will probably be much easier for the city to get environmental/engineering work done w/o the structure there.

Would probably be hard to put out an RFP w/o knowing what type/size of building could even be built there.
I have no doubt it is a complicated site. The details and extent of the cap, and what is under it, are well-documented with as-built drawings and specific rules about what can and cannot be done on the site without further removal and/or remediation. Too bad they couldn't have spent the money up front to remove all of the contaminated materials. It will come back to bite them now, unless people are content with using the existing building footprint for new structures and passive uses that do not disturb the cap.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

GetUrban wrote:Too bad they couldn't have spent the money up front to remove all of the contaminated materials. It will come back to bite them now, unless people are content with using the existing building footprint for new structures and passive uses that do not disturb the cap.
But people are not content with the existing building and surroundings. That's why every business fails there. It needs to be torn down and the whole area needs to be redeveloped to something that can actually attract people to go there. Maybe the answer is "nothing will get people to go there and spend money". Okay fine, build a park or festival area and try to get festivals to book it instead of Aksarben. But right now, the existing infrastructure and buildings are not working (even with tax free usage, lol).
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

It never makes sense to sweep |expletive| under the rug. That is almost literally what the city did with this site. Rather than bite the bullet and clean the property (or force Asarco to do it, as they polluted it), the city built a half-assed park that doesn't satisfy anyone.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That's a good point...plus the city probably already used-up its chance to force Asarco to pay for a complete clean-up/remediation.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

What you want are people on the site.

You either build something people really want to visit or you let people live there. I don't know if you could build 4 or 5 story apartment buildings on top of the cap on the Storz site and in the existing parking lots but it is better to have too many people and not enough parking then no people and tons of parking.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

First of all, this is a rumor, please do not shoot the messenger. The only reason I'm putting it here is because of the recent talk about the upcoming demolition. I heard today from someone who works in that vicinity, etc, that there has been a lot of talk among certain individuals and a couple foundations about this being a possible site for the childrens museum. This would give the museum an opportunity to build a brand new structure to suit there needs and to tie in outdoor aspects of fun and learning along the river. Also the National Park Service building would then serve as a partner with the museum for special exhibits and activities. I think this is something that would actually work in this location and be that destination that area desperately needs. This is just what i heard...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

What a grand idea, boy I'd love to see that happen.
15-17, 26, 32
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Tornado wrote:First of all, this is a rumor, please do not shoot the messenger. The only reason I'm putting it here is because of the recent talk about the upcoming demolition. I heard today from someone who works in that vicinity, etc, that there has been a lot of talk among certain individuals and a couple foundations about this being a possible site for the childrens museum. This would give the museum an opportunity to build a brand new structure to suit there needs and to tie in outdoor aspects of fun and learning along the river. Also the National Park Service building would then serve as a partner with the museum for special exhibits and activities. I think this is something that would actually work in this location and be that destination that area desperately needs. This is just what i heard...
This reminds me somewhat of what Wichita did to bring people to the river (or downtown at all, or maybe just to leave their houses)

And one not mine:

It shouldn't be too hard to one-up that for something that looks just as good, but also continuously attracts kids / people.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

This would be an excellent idea in and of itself but also in terms of simply attracting more people on a consistent basis to spur further riverfront development.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Yes I would love something of this caliber down there. It shouldn't be so big that it screws with the soil cap either.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That's a considerably large lot the children's meuseum is on, that could make for descen infill if it's vacated.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That would be a great fit for the Storz lot. Something that isn't a restaurant that attracts families and continually draws them in. That is exactly the type of atmosphere we want near the riverfront and the pedestrian bridge. I would love to see this happen!
mattl181
Home Owners Association

Post by mattl181 »

This would be a really great thing, if it happens. I have always thought we need more signature museums, like Chicago has along the lakefront (I would love a science museum, but this would kind of fill that void) Also, can we get something that is even 1% of the St. Louis City Museum, please???
Attachments
cityMuseum2.jpg
cityMuseum2.jpg (93.43 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

RNcyanide wrote:Yes I would love something of this caliber down there. It shouldn't be so big that it screws with the soil cap either.
Actually, a considerable amount of it (Exploration place) is in the river, the "island building".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploration_Place

This seems like it really could be done. It was done with grants, donations etc, and is a 501(c)(3) organization. I'd bet Mutual, Henry Doorly Zoo, Ameritrade and some others would toss in for an attraction named after them, and/ or another reason to get tourism in town (Imagine a weekend of CWS, the zoo and a nice river museum tour).
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That would be great to bring people and families down to the river.

Selfishly I hope there is still a master plan that leaves some room for waterfront patio seating, that was the best thing about Ricks/Storz.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

iamjacobm wrote:That would be great to bring people and families down to the river.

Selfishly I hope there is still a master plan that leaves some room for waterfront patio seating, that was the best thing about Ricks/Storz.
Oh yes, I agree. We just need to get people down there more first and then keep there with things like riverside dining.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

iamjacobm wrote:That would be great to bring people and families down to the river.

You talking about the flashers :;):
That lot is plenty big enough for multiple projects.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

City officials plan to demolish Storz Trophy Room, Rick's Cafe Boatyard building, bid documents show
Christopher Burbach / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The city capped pollutants underground on that portion of the riverfront, and can't pierce the cap to build anything. The exception is the restaurant building site, but even there only with limited digging.

Maybe three or four small restaurants would work, Bench said, or a destination playground, or sand volleyball courts. Or food trucks, said City Council President Ben Gray, whose district includes the area. He supports demolishing the building. He's among those who think one big restaurant probably won't work.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:City officials plan to demolish Storz Trophy Room, Rick's Cafe Boatyard building, bid documents show
Christopher Burbach / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The city capped pollutants underground on that portion of the riverfront, and can't pierce the cap to build anything. The exception is the restaurant building site, but even there only with limited digging.

Maybe three or four small restaurants would work, Bench said, or a destination playground, or sand volleyball courts. Or food trucks, said City Council President Ben Gray, whose district includes the area. He supports demolishing the building. He's among those who think one big restaurant probably won't work.
Sand volleyball courts???? Might as well bring back the smelting plant. The land is forever tainted and useless.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Anyone know what the water quality / safety is? If people were to kayak and swim in the water, for example what are the odds of flesh eating disease or e. coli infections?
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Athomsfere wrote:Anyone know what the water quality / safety is? If people were to kayak and swim in the water, for example what are the odds of flesh eating disease or e. coli infections?
EEEEeeewwww! That river water is NASTY! I'll pass.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Omababe wrote:
Athomsfere wrote:Anyone know what the water quality / safety is? If people were to kayak and swim in the water, for example what are the odds of flesh eating disease or e. coli infections?
Yeah? Documentation on it? I mean it doesn't look the best, but it looks better than some...
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

Athomsfere wrote:
Omababe wrote:
Yeah? Documentation on it? I mean it doesn't look the best, but it looks better than some...
Depends on the time of year - Omaha is still discharging raw water into the river during high flood times. Now, what is in that water is another question. That is why the entire $2 billion CSO project is going on - when high water events happen the water goes one of two places: into your basement or into the river (untreated). The city is allowed a certain number of discharges into the river penalty free until the CSO work is done, and then I believe it is drastically reduced and/or eliminated. Because most of that is rain water that just has not been treated, I would tend to believe there is not an abundance of flesh eating disease coming from Omaha and going into the river - more likely it's sand, salt, oils, grease, etc. that is found on modern roadways - but nearly every major city in the country is undergoing a CSO project. I don't know what/if Souix City or Bismarck is dumping into the river. Further down the line, Kansas City and St. Louis were facing the same CSO projects and have discharged raw water into the Missouri too. I think generally you would be okay to kayak, but I'd balk at swimming - assuming you would ingest a small amount of river water, which may or may not have E Coli, metals, harsh chemicals, etc. in the water.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

They should ban those food trucks from the Old Market and make them set up down where Ricks was. For the first year they could let the food trucks park there for free and just see how it goes. 90% chance the food trucks are not going to work but the city can stick them in there for now until they figure out what to do with it.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The hope is to give people reasons to use the boat dock there as the river is fine for that use. Time will tell if enough activity gets going there to make that a reality.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:They should ban those food trucks from the Old Market and make them set up down where Ricks was. For the first year they could let the food trucks park there for free and just see how it goes. 90% chance the food trucks are not going to work but the city can stick them in there for now until they figure out what to do with it.
The question is how far will people walk to buy a meal at a food truck? If that is a way to get them down to Lewis & Clark Landing, then fine, but the whole idea of a food truck is to bring the food to close to people for convenience. People might have to accept the fact that food may not be the answer to attract people down there. (Rick's/Storz is just south of the sewerage/sludge grit separator building, by the way)

I think some sort of museum is the long term answer for the site, maybe in conjunction with the National Park Service building to the north. Getting rid of the lead would really help free-up possible uses obviously.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Food trucks are opportunistic. They go to where the people are. Unfortunately, the area of Lewis and Clark Landing is where the people aren't. I agree that this needs some sort of anchor tenant to draw people here. The children's museum seems the only choice. Saddly, with the restrictions to breaking the cap in the lead containment area this can't happen.

This is a case of the government being penny wise by burying the contaminants in situ, but being pound foolish because it prohibits any real future development on the site. They should have removed the material from the site during the remediation process. Of course this would have taken some foresight and planning to imagine a different outcome (was this an HDR project?).
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr