Missouri River Commons (Riverfront Development)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Coyote wrote:Wasn't it Storz that sold generic beer (white can with a simple black 'beer' label) for like a buck a six-pack back in the 70's?
No, that was Falstaff.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

guy4omaha wrote:
Coyote wrote:Wasn't it Storz that sold generic beer (white can with a simple black 'beer' label) for like a buck a six-pack back in the 70's?
No, that was Falstaff.
They interviewed the guy from the Crescent Moon last night (Bill B).  He said that its only Storz in name.  Now its a craft view and does not use the old Storz recipe.  

All then need is good food and even better service and that place will do good.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have to wonder whether the old Storz 'recipe' would actually sell in this market, with so many craft beers to compete against. Actually good to hear it will be a new craft beer.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
guy4omaha wrote:
No, that was Falstaff.
They interviewed the guy from the Crescent Moon last night (Bill B). He said that its only Storz in name.  Now its a craft view and does not use the old Storz recipe.  

All then need is good food and even better service and that place will do good.

Like New Coke?   :mrgreen:

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have to admit that the old Storz was not a beer someone would write home about, or a good review these days. You bought a Heineken 6-pack and then Storz to fill in the evening drinking program...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cool!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Storz to open restaurant at former Rick's Cafe Boatyard on Omaha riverfront

http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... /130809119
Juan Perez Jr. / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Storz — the historic Omaha brewery — will revive its brand and transform the former Rick's Café Boatyard into the Storz Trophy Room Grill & Brewery.

The restaurant will open Nov. 15, its operators announced Thursday. Yves Menard, owner of the Charlie's on the Lake restaurant, will operate the new restaurant.
Juan Perez Jr. / World-Herald staff writer wrote: The company's management team includes John Markel, great-great-grandson of Storz founder Gottlieb Storz, and his cousin, Tom Markel.

“Nebraska, we're back,” Tom Markel said in a statement.

Heck Yea, St Stan's will be even better this year!
Juan Perez Jr. / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Storz products will launch Aug. 18 at the St. Stanislaus Catholic Church Polish Festival.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  Can't wait!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

WOWT wrote:Storz will introduce its lager, wheat, pale ale and amber ale products in a few weeks. The company plans to produce 160,000 cases in its first year of operation.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Coyote wrote:I have to wonder whether the old Storz 'recipe' would actually sell in this market, with so many craft beers to compete against. Actually good to hear it will be a new craft beer.
Nah. The original recipe wouldn't sell well today. That's what I was implying when I said earlier that the original was an adjunct beer.  But it just has so much personal nostalgia for me. I would love it if they had the original recipe around just for authenticity sake in small quantities as a novelty to compliment the contemporary brews they'll sell in quantity. And who knows, these things go in cycles. Some day those old beers could be popular again. Good or bad, nothing quite like a "Storz: The Triumph of Beers". As you can tell I am pretty amped about this.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This is great news.  Someone thought outside of the box for a change.  That is the kind of thinking it will take to revive this location.  I hope it works out.  Still a lot more questions than answers.  Who is their target audience?  What will the menu aim for?  Will this be a restaurant that serves beer, or a bar that serves food?  Will they serve other beers as well?  Etc.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:I have to admit that the old Storz was not a beer someone would write home about, or a good review these days. You bought a Heineken 6-pack and then Storz to fill in the evening drinking program...
I actually remember having Storz beer once. Years (decades) ago after I moved to Omaha I did some volunteer work for a local politician. At a post-election gathering he had a few cases of Storz Triumph squirreled away for an important event. They were telling the story of the original Storz brewery on 16th. and the sell-out to a friendly competitor who in essence took the brand off the market.

I'm trying to remember the beer, and from my very fuzzy memory it was kind of Rheingold-ish in flavor.

Anyway, I think bringing it back as a theme for the old Boatyard has to be a Good Thing!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nativeomahan wrote:This is great news.  Someone thought outside of the box for a change.  That is the kind of thinking it will take to revive this location.  I hope it works out.  Still a lot more questions than answers.  Who is their target audience?  What will the menu aim for?  Will this be a restaurant that serves beer, or a bar that serves food?  Will they serve other beers as well?  Etc.
The restaurant operator said it will concentrate more on steak than seafood like at Charlie's.  They didn't say anything about the price point or how much concentration is being put on the brewery.  I still can't tell how much will be brewed on site either, apparently they are teaming up with a Lincoln Brewery for the venture and they have said it will make it's debut on Aug 18th.  That is way to quick for anything to come out of the riverfront.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/sto ... index.html
Now, Stothert said she has her mind on the next phase, a parcel of undeveloped land that sits just south of the building.

"I think once the former Rick's is filled, we can get a new, long-term tenant down there,” Stohert said. “That would be good for people.”

The land in question, like where the Storz building sits, is owned by the city.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I am presuming that they are talking about the greenspace south of the building:

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Several years back they announced that a Latin restaurant would be built just south of where Rick's was.  Obviously that never happened.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/sto ... index.html
Now, Stothert said she has her mind on the next phase, a parcel of undeveloped land that sits just south of the building.

"I think once the former Rick's is filled, we can get a new, long-term tenant down there,” Stohert said. “That would be good for people.”

The land in question, like where the Storz building sits, is owned by the city.
Commmmmmonnnnn Chuck E Cheese!
No posts exist for this topic
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

MadMartin8 wrote:Commmmmmonnnnn Chuck E Cheese!
Best italian in Omaha!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

nativeomahan wrote:Several years back they announced that a Latin restaurant would be built just south of where Rick's was.  Obviously that never happened.
Serving recipes from Apicius' Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome, perhaps?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

almighty_tuna wrote:
Best italian in Omaha!
You guys are making my mouth water.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

almighty_tuna wrote:
Best italian in Omaha!
It's the best Italian in the REGION. It's the pinnacle of excellence in fine dinning and entertainment!
No posts exist for this topic
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

After 10PM, it could become Club Cheese.

[youtube][/youtube]
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I'd sure like to hear more about where they're brewing. According to their Facebook page they brewed the first barrels of lager in late July but with such a local history I would like to see/hear more about the beer-making portion of this brand revival.

EDIT:
Found this article from the LJS. Storz will be brewed at Blue Blood Brewing in Lincoln and shipped up here.
LJS/Tom Markel wrote:Tom Markel said in a news release that Storz will craft beers that reflect the original heritage and legacy of the brand and its founder but will brew beer the way he would today. “We will follow our beer mission of age, purity and strength, but we will brew beer for the people that drink it. That’s exactly what Gottlieb would do,” Markel said.
http://journalstar.com/business/local/s ... 74002.html
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

A little off topic but my wife and I took a trip to Sioux Falls, SD this past weekend and went to sports bar named Starz.  Their logo was almost identical to Storz.  This was the main picture hanging on the wall.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hansen: This isn't your dad's Storz beer

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130830/N ... storz-beer
Matthew Hansen / World-Herald columnist wrote:The new Storz lager is an homage to the old one, a beer created to make you reminisce about days gone by when your father or his father would mow the yard and then crack a cold one.

Nice article about the new and old Storz.

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Some sort of event happening there tonight, complete with valet parking. Part of the building has been repainted as well. Will grab a pic in the morning if I remember. Additionally, the sign at 8th & Dodge St (under the viaduct) directing people to riverfront attractions has been updated with Storz Trophy Room.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Whats the thinking on the board here.. Is this place going to do well and have enough traffic to turn a profit? or is it going to start well and fade away?

I like how its going to be a catalyst to creating a restaurant movement by the river and that can only be a good thing for the city.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

almighty_tuna wrote:Some sort of event happening there tonight, complete with valet parking. Part of the building has been repainted as well. Will grab a pic in the morning if I remember. Additionally, the sign at 8th & Dodge St (under the viaduct) directing people to riverfront attractions has been updated with Storz Trophy Room.
Did you see the Storz horse carriage thing?
Last edited by iamjacobm on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

iamjacobm wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:Some sort of event happening there tonight, complete with valet parking. Part of the building has been repainted as well. Will grab a pic in the morning if I remember. Additionally, the sign at 8th & Dodge St (under the viaduct) directing people to riverfront attractions has been updated with Storz Trophy Room.
Did you see the Stocz horse carriage thing?
Ah yes, that was there as well.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They had a fireworks show as well.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Do they have permanent signage up yet?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Not that I've seen. the "turret" of Rick's is now painted in red, yellow and blue though. Kind of looks like a bounce house.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

guitarguy wrote:Whats the thinking on the board here.. Is this place going to do well and have enough traffic to turn a profit? or is it going to start well and fade away?
I'm hoping that it will work out. But until the pedestrian bridge over the tracks is built, getting there is a pain before or after events at the CLC or the CWS, which could affect its success. But there is already a pretty good amount of traffic over there from the BKPB (I think I just may be the first person who's abbreviated that, lol), so who knows. I guess we'll have to see based on their quality. I'm sure we'll get a review on here shortly after they open.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:...BKPB (I think I just may be the first person who's abbreviated that, lol)
The Architect and Contractors used MRPB, which is still stuck in my head and I use it a lot.

As far as the new Ped Bridge over the tracks, that would be amazing come CWS Time!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Pic of the exterior thus far. Haven't seen any changes in the last couple of weeks though.

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I had the new Storz Amber ale at Aksarben cinema.  Can confirm it was not very good, borderline horrible.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

What was the quality of the old Storz? Was it a craft beer or typical American light beer?
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Their Grain Belt brand wasn't too bad, but by today's standards it wouldn't fly.  Grain Belt, like almost everything else back then, was a light lager.  The original Storz lager was before my time.