Missouri River Commons (Riverfront Development)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Post by Spatial77 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
MTO wrote:The more and more we talk about the Heartland of America Park, ConAgra campus and Ozarko area as one comprehensive project the more I realize the freeway bridge must go.
Well even if they took out the freeway, there would still have to be a bridge between DTO and CB.
Tunnel! Start going underground behind the Civic and keep going down under the Missouri River. Not quite sure where it would come up in CB. All the land under the bridges becomes developable, or open space, and you get a pedestrian friendly area, plus you get rid of the I-480 wall between North Downtown and the CBD. Infrastructure doesn't last forever, and someday the elevated roadway and bridge will need replacing, so why not a tunnel.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

A tunnel is a perfect solution if the exorbitant cost is ignored. See Boston's Big Dig.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

RNcyanide wrote:A tunnel is a perfect solution if the exorbitant cost is ignored. See Boston's Big Dig.
Boston's big dig wasn't an issue with it being a tunnel. There are hundreds of other tunnel projects that have been done on time and on budget - you're picking the worse case scenario. That's like saying don't build the Bob Kerry Bridge because the Tacoma Narrows Bridge (a suspension bridge too) swayed and collapsed.
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

Spatial77 wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
MTO wrote:The more and more we talk about the Heartland of America Park, ConAgra campus and Ozarko area as one comprehensive project the more I realize the freeway bridge must go.
Well even if they took out the freeway, there would still have to be a bridge between DTO and CB.
Tunnel! Start going underground behind the Civic and keep going down under the Missouri River. Not quite sure where it would come up in CB. All the land under the bridges becomes developable, or open space, and you get a pedestrian friendly area, plus you get rid of the I-480 wall between North Downtown and the CBD. Infrastructure doesn't last forever, and someday the elevated roadway and bridge will need replacing, so why not a tunnel.
Not saying this would kill the idea, but Omaha's putting in a CSO tunnel 70 feet below the riverfront already (the South Interceptor Force Main) from Heartland of America past ConAgra. With bedrock below the riverfront at 40 feet deep, you'd most likely have to dig under the CSO tunnel

Further, this tunnel - if replacing the interstate - would need to be similar to the Alaska Way Viaduct project, which is 2 miles long, four lanes and billed at $4.2 billion. If you went from Civic to the River Park Broadmoor apartments on the riverfront in CB, you're looking at like ~1.2 miles.

Omaha doesn't have enough money to upkeep the roads we have, let along construct a $4 billion tunnel. Especially when you look at the latest bridge over the Missouri - US 34, which was billed at $115 million and holds the same 2 lanes in each direction.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

I don't know about a Children's Museum though.
I mean they're already making the Durham into Omaha's new children's museum.

Seriously the last 15 traveling exhibits they've had are aimed at kids. I miss the old ones like the Lincoln one and Terrorism in America.
Maybe the kid ones are more popular? I don't know.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

I just happened to see this on Craigslist

https://omaha.craigslist.org/bfs/5581307597.html
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I just happened to see this on Craigslist

https://omaha.craigslist.org/bfs/5581307597.html

Storz really flopped trying to make a comeback
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

choke wrote:Storz really flopped trying to make a comeback
The people who bought Storz name flopped and dragged the name down with them...
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

There is a ferris wheel in town for the cws; how hard would it be to make one a permanent fixture on the river front, albeit one thats a bit larger?
Go Cubs Go
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

thenewguy wrote:There is a ferris wheel in town for the cws; how hard would it be to make one a permanent fixture on the river front, albeit one thats a bit larger?
It would need to be part of a cohesive district of some sort to draw people. People wouldn't go down just for the ferris wheel. I think the best option would actually be in Council Bluffs, or as some part of HoA Park.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Garrett wrote:
thenewguy wrote:There is a ferris wheel in town for the cws; how hard would it be to make one a permanent fixture on the river front, albeit one thats a bit larger?
It would need to be part of a cohesive district of some sort to draw people. People wouldn't go down just for the ferris wheel. I think the best option would actually be in Council Bluffs, or as some part of HoA Park.
They showed it on the big screen tonight and not a soul was on it.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Next year they can try Tilt-a-Whirl. That'll be the ticket!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Someone told me the wheel's lights are cool looking at night but one of the BK's masts is dark. If that's true they need to fire somebody!
15-17, 26, 32
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

iamjacobm wrote:
Garrett wrote:
Unsurprising. Like I said, the the Ferris wheel itself can't be the draw. It's more of an "eh, why not" kind of things unless it's the London Eye or maybe the one at Navy Pier. Otherwise, it'd be like building a store the exclusively sells things you can only find near the checkout at the grocery store.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Garrett wrote:
As Brad previously mentioned, the placement if horrible. It should be out closer to 10th St.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
Garrett wrote:
As Brad previously mentioned, the placement if horrible. It should be out closer to 10th St.
Lets see if MECA even brings this wheel back for year two before anyone gets too excited about a permanent wheel on the river... I still think it might do OK year one, but would start hemorrhaging money by year two...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

City Council to take next step in demolishing Storz Trophy Room building

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/city-co ... b12bd.html
Christopher Burbach / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Omaha City Council will consider a contract Tuesday to hire a demolition company to wreck the former home of Rick’s Cafe Boatyard and the Storz Trophy Room.

The contract would pay low bidder Anderson Excavating $139,000 to demolish the building by July 30.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

The contract would pay low bidder Anderson Excavating $139,000 to demolish the building by July 30.
That is going to happen quickly
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Good riddance. Does anyone know what the results were of that informal poll of what people would like to see along the riverfront?
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

NEDodger wrote:Good riddance. Does anyone know what the results were of that informal poll of what people would like to see along the riverfront?
When biking along the river on the Iowa side, one thing that stands out to me is the lack of trees on the Omaha side. Walking or biking from Heartland Park to the pedestrian bridge would be much more inviting with a nice tree-lined trail.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha1000 wrote:
NEDodger wrote:Good riddance. Does anyone know what the results were of that informal poll of what people would like to see along the riverfront?
When biking along the river on the Iowa side, one thing that stands out to me is the lack of trees on the Omaha side. Walking or biking from Heartland Park to the pedestrian bridge would be much more inviting with a nice tree-lined trail.
Lead burrito underneath means no trees. The city is going to have a challenge in filling that spot. It's ruined.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

choke wrote:
Omaha1000 wrote:
Lead burrito underneath means no trees. The city is going to have a challenge in filling that spot. It's ruined.
I'm sorry to learn that. It's pretty frustrating that our city leaders allowed the central riverfront area to remain contaminated.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha1000 wrote:
choke wrote:
Omaha1000 wrote:
I'm sorry to learn that. It's pretty frustrating that our city leaders allowed the central riverfront area to remain contaminated.
Don't know if this happens in my lifetime but I predict the city will go back to this site and clean it up properly after several failed attempts of trying to stimulate the area. CB is doing it right on their side and Omaha city officials know it. Omaha is in a real pickle with this one.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

How deep below the river would they have to go to get the lead out?
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

bigredmed wrote:How deep below the river would they have to go to get the lead out?
I'm not 100 percent positive on this, but I think it's correct....

Depends on what is going in. The concrete areas around the riverfront basically were cleaned to a point. The concrete is typically a barrier that allows people to build on top of it, but there would need to be additional cleanup if you dug deeper. How far? Depends.

In places that are grass or other permeable surfaces, it's typically 12 inches deep. This being the actual plant location, the depth may be significantly deeper - I'm not sure. However, the rest of the area is basically airborne transferal, so it's within the top foot of soil typically (almost always within two feet) - and then capped with fresh soil.

When they built the baseball stadium and Century Link, they cleaned the top 12 inches and placed 2-3 feet of clean soil on top. Mitigation for the baseball field was included in the $1.7 million "site preparation" cost and was about $1 million for the Qwest. If you're putting condos, apartments or homes (places people live) on top of it, you either need to mitigate further down or not allow residences on the first floor.

I don't think it's prohibitive that it's eventually all cleaned up, but there are a bunch of other factors that also make this area less likely to be developed than just on the other side of the CenturyLink.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

bigredmed wrote:How deep below the river would they have to go to get the lead out?
They would have to do a series of soil borings and tests to determine the actual depth of the soil contamination at the former Asarco plant building sites. Plus now, the cost of removing the "remedial" containment cap, paving, etc. would have to be factored in also.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

GetUrban wrote:
They would have to do a series of soil borings and tests to determine the actual depth of the soil contamination at the former Asarco plant building sites. Plus now, the cost of removing the "remedial" containment cap, paving, etc. would have to be factored in also.
I was going to say, that I bet they are looking at serious depth. When ConAgra was building and the Heartland of America park lake was dug, they had to go 8 feet deeper than expected to get the lead cleaned up. Dad was down there in ConAgra and watching the earth get moved.

I would not be at all surprised that they would have to go down to and below the level of the river to get clean soil.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

The lead won't naturally go away in our lifetimes, right?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:The lead won't naturally go away in our lifetimes, right?
No, it's not like a radioactive material, with the radioactivity decaying over time.

Newton's first law of motion would apply: a body at rest remains at rest and a body in motion remains in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

About the only way it would disappear on its own is if there was a huge flood on the river that scoured the area away.

The upper plaza is at approx. 990' elevation with the river at approx. 970'. So I would guess the depth of the lead contamination would depend on how deep it leached into the ground over the 100 + years Asarco and other refining operations were there.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

GetUrban wrote:About the only way it would disappear on its own is if there was a huge flood on the river that scoured the area away.
Well let's hope a huge flood hits us soon so we can get moving in this area :;):
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

GetUrban wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:The lead won't naturally go away in our lifetimes, right?
Newton's first law of motion would apply: a body at rest remains at rest and a body in motion remains in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.
I was thinking that Murphy's Law would also apply...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
GetUrban wrote:About the only way it would disappear on its own is if there was a huge flood on the river that scoured the area away.
Well let's hope a huge flood hits us soon so we can get moving in this area :;):
We missed our chance in 2011 !....but there should be another 1000 year flood coming before too long. :;):
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Omaha1000 wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
I was thinking that Murphy's Law would also apply...
That is a given!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The MO floods to the east in that stretch of the river now that the Omaha side has built up. It flooded that part of Omaha in 1952 to a significant depth. Dad recalls taking an Army Duck from 15th street in downtown Omaha to the steps of the Methodist church in downtown CB to go help on sandbag lines.

In 2011, the river scoured the river bottom along Sioux City to a depth of 65 feet. I wonder if it did any undermining of the Omaha side? Keep in mind that in addition to the 2011 flood, we had the flood in the mid 90s that was supposedly a 500 year flood. Maybe the river did a little lead abatement for us?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Christopher Burbach / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The contract would pay low bidder Anderson Excavating $139,000 to demolish the building by July 30.
Anyone have an update date, here is a photo from July 30th.

OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

Demolition starts Sept 12th.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OmahaOmaha wrote:Demolition starts Sept 12th.
Thanks, I thought the 8 day time frame of the 30th seemed rather aggressive...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Stothert expects to request proposals for Storz Trophy Room site soon after restaurant is razed
The former Storz Trophy Room is set to come down soon, but Mayor Jean Stothert doesn’t want the area to sit empty for long.

She said she expects to issue a request for proposals for the site after the building’s demolition.

Even with restrictions, Stothert said she hopes to have something started by next summer.

“We’re not going to leave it blank down there for a long time,”
Glad to see that they are pursuing an alternate use. Hopefully they have more than one proposal this time.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

OFD was using it for some training today.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Demo well underway. Excited for the RFP to be released.