Gavilon HQ (World Herald Block)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I'll agree that it designed to be temporary. Even if it is there for a year or two before it gets developed. Note the lack of anything that is real costly and/or "hard" to move somewhere. No fountains, etc.

When a building is constructed there, I can see it looking a lot like the World Herald/Qwest building block minus the garage on the west end. Build the garage underneath the building (making it a taller :) ) and leave half the block as greenspace. The W-H gets to keep their green walkway, the new building has a nice greenspace beside it, and we get a new 300+ footer office tower. :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My Money is on an announcement in 2 years +/
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

But i want it nooooow!  again, 2 years is FOREVER.  That is, unless they announce it in a year (fingers crossed), start building, and by the time the CWS is downtown, there will be that sweet shot of another highrise being built into the skyline, with the back drop of woodmen, fnb, and wto :)
Go Cubs Go
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

the1wags wrote:I'll agree that it designed to be temporary. Even if it is there for a year or two before it gets developed. Note the lack of anything that is real costly and/or "hard" to move somewhere. No fountains, etc.
Now, if those trees are potted when it gets built, I'll be extra happy :)
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

...or on wheeled carts, with people manning the ropes, waiting for the order to pull.
Go Cubs Go
SurfOmaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SurfOmaha »

Brad wrote:That's just odd.  I bet if anyone other than the OWH owned the property the OWH would be doing a story on it, but since its their own, they don't have to if they are hiding a big surprise.  If they are selling the property they would not have done the demo work they have.

Time to call in the HeartLand Messenger!    :lol:
http://www.surfomaha.com
GAY RIGHTS!!!  ITS TIME TO GET ROWDY!!! http://omahagayvillage.ning.com
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I got a sneak peak today... However he was shutting the door as I pulled up.

There were two bulldozers or tractors of some sort in there doing demo.

Sorry I was still driving:
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Installation of fencing has begun around the old World Herald building. It won't be long now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote:Installation of fencing has begun around the old World Herald building. It won't be long now.
I bet they beat the UP demo... :;):
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I know everyone is hoping for the possibility of this land being sold and developed into a gleaming corporate structure.  However, anyone considered the possibility of them redeveloping this property for a new World Herald structure?

From the linked W.H. article:  "This is an important piece of land for our company..." says W.H. CEO Terry Kroeger.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Mmmmm...I don't think so.  They moved all their administrative offices into the Qwest building, and put big old OWH signs on it.  

I think we'll get a private developer or another private company.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote via text message wrote:The World Harold building is coming down from the inside first.  about 1/4 of the roof is already gone
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

do we underestimate their sneakiness?  Sneaky, sneaky.  Man, I'd be tickled |expletive|-less if we got something of a mid-range height out of this to compliment wall street tower and the hopefully soon-to-be-announced hotel on pinnacle/Swanson.  We're getting some density it seems, and I'd love it if there were to be some height coming too.

Don't we all?
Go Cubs Go
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

thenewguy wrote:do we underestimate their sneakiness?  Sneaky, sneaky.  Man, I'd be tickled |expletive|-less if we got something of a mid-range height out of this to compliment wall street tower and the hopefully soon-to-be-announced hotel on pinnacle/Swanson.  We're getting some density it seems, and I'd love it if there were to be some height coming too.

Don't we all?
I don't think they are being that sneaky...they did run a story on it.  And I wouldn't get too excited about the hotel on the Swanson site.  That parking will be needed during construction.  I would bet we don't see anything about that until 2012 at least.  

I am not that convinced that someone is already planning something for that site.  There is an entire empty block right across the street.  That doesn't mean I am not hoping someone will build something, but I am not getting too excited for the time being.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Here's a look from today.

A closer view. The box was up higher like the one to it's left but they pulled it down.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

that's crazy the way they are taking that down.  What are they using to take it down?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Skid loaders from what I saw. Crazy stuff.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

damn... I have run in to plenty of stuff with a skid loader, only thing I ever broke was a fluorescent light fixture.  Still some odd demolition between the two buildings down there.  I can't wait to see how messed up the demo of the Swanson plant is going to be with all the pipes and such.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Brad wrote: I can't wait to see how messed up the demo of the Swanson plant is going to be with all the pipes and such.
If these latest demos are any indication:  A large man with a wrench and a wheelbarrow.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

almighty_tuna wrote:
Brad wrote: I can't wait to see how messed up the demo of the Swanson plant is going to be with all the pipes and such.
If these latest demos are any indication:  A large man with a wrench and a wheelbarrow.
the can just let the meth junkies in and they can strip that place out in a few hours in from 2am to 5am

On a serious note, I got a photo looking in through the door on the north side.  They have a big area with all three floors open and they are pushing debris in to the open area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Josh, time to snap some more photos from above.  I just shot one through the door.  That north east corner is already down to the ground on the inside.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I talked to someone (who appeared to be somewhat "in the know") today and asked about what was going on.  I played dumb, saying that i saw there was some action going on there.  He said that they were planning a park that would compliment Wall Street nicely (though I'm not quoting it word for word).  I said "yeah, that will be cool" and he followed it up with, "...that is unless someone finds it worth while to build something big on," with a smirk on his face.  I just agreed, but thought the whole time that he knew a little something more than he was letting on.  He did mention that though it would be a nice park, it wasn't going to be "too permanent"
Go Cubs Go
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I talked with a friend tonight who works with the OWH  and he said building is about empty inside.  He said he looked up through a window and saw blue sky.  He thinks it will remain a park for awhile because they are putting a lot of money in it ---- so time will tell.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:I talked with a friend tonight who works with the OWH  and he said building is about empty inside.  He said he looked up through a window and saw blue sky.  He thinks it will remain a park for awhile because they are putting a lot of money in it ---- so time will tell.
You can see a lot of sky:

Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

How much in taxes is the OWH going to have to pay every year keeping that property a park?   :;):
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Erik wrote:How much in taxes is the OWH going to have to pay every year keeping that property a park?   :;):
Considering the land is valued 64% more than the building...
Land = $2,534,400.00
Building = $1,622,600.00

2007 Tax was = $81,926.58
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Brad wrote:
Erik wrote:How much in taxes is the OWH going to have to pay every year keeping that property a park?   :;):
Considering the land is valued 64% more than the building...
Land = $2,534,400.00
Building = $1,622,600.00

2007 Tax was = $81,926.58
LOL, wow that is a great breakdown...

I imagine that this is a lot to the OWH in their bit of a downtime right now, do you think that they will get a developer pretty quick?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Horrible pic from above today. I hate window glare.

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

that is WAY too big to remain a park for long.  that's like eating an omelet with condor eggs.  Yeah, the end result is about the same, but is it worth the money and effort to achieve it?  Surely there are other smaller plots of land that would be worthy of a nice park.
Go Cubs Go
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

i really want this to happen
Oak
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Oak »

The only thing missing in that picture is a baseball stadium!  :;):
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Hey that's my skyline hackjob.  :;): Just think, it will look like that if we get a tower on the World Herald site.  :shock:
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Looks like a monument dedicated to Ed Grimley.

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

...and imagine if ONLY they put one up on the Swanson site!?  Nothing big, but of similar height to Wall Street...that's a picture I'd like to see.  I've got chills, brother.
Go Cubs Go
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Stargazer wrote:Looks like a monument dedicated to Ed Grimley.

It is.  :;): I'm just hoping for a different shape in the skyline someday.
Go NE
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Go NE »

Pacific Life Tower, its a rendering one of my friends who works for Pacific Life made. Please note that this picture is a bit misleading.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Go NE,

DTO is actually a regular poster on this board.  :lol:

Welcome aboard as well!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Interesting....

That doesn't look like a D'Shawn original.  He has done these before, and he has a different style.  This has to be from someone else.  Whatever the case, its good to see that DTO isn' the only person at Pacific Life speculating about a new tower.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Interesting....

That doesn't look like a D'Shawn original.  He has done these before, and he has a different style.  This has to be from someone else.  Whatever the case, its good to see that DTO isn' the only person at Pacific Life speculating about a new tower.
Go NE stated that the rendering he posted was from DTO over on city-data.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Go NE wrote:Image
Pacific Life Tower, its a rendering one of my friends who works for Pacific Life made. Please note that this picture is a bit misleading.
So i wonder...and this is for DTO (or anyone else 'in-the-know' as far as Pacific Life is concerned)...but is there any traction to this yet?  Is it still just a hope and a dream or is there something more in the works that anyone could shed light on?  I was cruising around city-data while the site was down and it had me wondering.  I'm going to see if i can't come up with something that would show Pacific Life, Wall Street Tower, and a hotel on Swanson to go with Woodmen and First National.  I can't wait for it to be like 3 years from now.
Go Cubs Go