Gavilon HQ (World Herald Block)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Oh wow!  It took me a minute to notice the steel!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think the steel that is up is pretty much the height we are looking at.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Such a dissapointing use of such a great location.
ad2330
Home Owners Association

Post by ad2330 »

Linkin5 wrote:Such a dissapointing use of such a great location.
What would you have liked to see instead?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

ad2330 wrote:
A building of at least 20 stories.  Or if the building is short, at least something with some ground retail.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Linkin5 wrote:
ad2330 wrote:
A building of at least 20 stories.  Or if the building is short, at least something with some ground retail.
There are usually things that could be done better.  In this case, I dont think taller is necessarily a big deal.  I know some on here are obsessed by it but I'd rather fill a few blocks than one skyscrapper.  Ground level retail is nice too but our downtown wont support it everywhere.  I think they did an ok job trying to provide some interest at street level.  In this case though, keeping the company downtown is a plus as well.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:
ad2330 wrote:

A 20 story tower located downtown isn't going to happen for 10 years at least, if not more...or at all. We had our shots with Wall Street Tower, The Blue Cross Building, and TD Ameritrade. They either went elsewhere, or fell through.

In the meantime, I'll take keeping a company in the metro area, especially in downtown, which draws more people downtown itself with employment.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

20 stories isn't that tall to say the city wont see one in the next decade let alone ever again.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

cdub wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
ad2330 wrote:
There are usually things that could be done better.  In this case, I dont think taller is necessarily a big deal.  I know some on here are obsessed by it but I'd rather fill a few blocks than one skyscrapper.  Ground level retail is nice too but our downtown wont support it everywhere.  I think they did an ok job trying to provide some interest at street level.  In this case though, keeping the company downtown is a plus as well.
I'm just impatient and want a huge development to happen.  I am pleased with the infill the last few years but am hoping for new skyscraper to spring up, probably not realistic but I will stay optimistic.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I certainly wish for a taller presence just because I'm a fan of skyscrapers. Perhaps moreso is the desire for more density - more people showing up for work at that block. For the couple hundred people (just a guess) who will work there vs the multitude of cube dwellers in the larger buildings. But this is still better than a bare lot and a 2-story brick building in a visible location (cough, Farnam on the mall, cough)
Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahanerd »

How long until we see this skyscraper.....i'm getting impatient for a new one. I really hope hear plans for one within the next 3 years.... until then  :popcorn:
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Well, get your waiting boots on. Unless it's residential or hotel, it ain't happening.
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

How about berkshire hathaway or kiewit? Have they thought of relocating and building a tower downtown?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

koberaptor wrote:How about berkshire hathaway or kiewit? Have they thought of relocating and building a tower downtown?
I am pretty sure Berkshire Hathaway has less than 25 employees in Omaha.  If you dig through the old pages on this forum you can find some talk of a rumored Kiewit tower.
mj3141
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mj3141 »

Doesn't Kiewit already have a building in Midtown also used by Berkshire?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

koberaptor wrote:How about berkshire hathaway or kiewit? Have they thought of relocating and building a tower downtown?
Kiewit would be your best bet in terms of a "skyscraper", but even then I doubt it within 10 years.

Best hope is for a Residential one downtown, but I have to wonder if demand is high enough for a full fledged high rise.
mj3141
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mj3141 »

Although technically not a new high-rise, nor technically downtown per se, but soon (April?) the Highline renovation should open.  If that ends up doing well, and developers run out of other candidates for TIF apartment projects, I think we see something in the works..but no idea what that timeline might be.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

mj3141 wrote:Doesn't Kiewit already have a building in Midtown also used by Berkshire?
Yes and they take up the building next door as well.  Any new office tower would obviously vacate another office space.  TD Ameritrade is leaving space at Southroads, First National Bank left the Northern Natural Gas building which has since been converted to apartments, UP left their old building across the street and the city tore that down.  That being said I don't see Kiewit building anything for themselves anytime soon.

If I had to rank the possibilities of a 20+ story tower right now it would probably go residential, spec office, corporate HQ, hotel.  And all of those are pretty low.
mj3141
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mj3141 »

How about something 10-20 stories? Something of that size with an appealing design may be a more reasonable expectation.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

mj3141 wrote:How about something 10-20 stories? Something of that size with an appealing design may be a more reasonable expectation.
Well we already have two of those proposed at the Shamrock site.  Could have those two by 2015 if they start construction this year like they said they should in a recent article.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Does anyone know why the north section is topped-out already? As apposed to floor by floor in conventional method?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

MTO wrote:Does anyone know why the north section is topped-out already? As apposed to floor by floor in conventional method?
Just a thought, but it might be since there is only one crane. its probably easier to split the build by quarters
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

MTO wrote:Does anyone know why the north section is topped-out already? As apposed to floor by floor in conventional method?
That might be the spot with the high ceiling for the trading floor? I don't know.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I think "high" would be an understatement..

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Whoops, sorry. I was viewing it quickly and somehow didn't notice they had flooring in on each level.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The north east corner is going up now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:I think the steel that is up is pretty much the height we are looking at.
I guess not.  NE corner now has another level going up.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:
Just a thought, but it might be since there is only one crane. its probably easier to split the build by quarters
Looks like i was right :)
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A little bit of facade is up on the west side of the building.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Got the chance to drive by today. The North face of the building is more or less built structurally speaking, and the facade is being added little by little on the North and West sides. The Oxblue cam angle from the South doesn't really do it any justice, it looked like an entirely different building in person.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

RNcyanide wrote:Got the chance to drive by today. The North face of the building is more or less built structurally speaking, and the facade is being added little by little on the North and West sides. The Oxblue cam angle from the South doesn't really do it any justice, it looked like an entirely different building in person.
Yeah there is a good chunk of glass up now.  This building isn't tall, but should look pretty darn good.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:Got the chance to drive by today. The North face of the building is more or less built structurally speaking, and the facade is being added little by little on the North and West sides. The Oxblue cam angle from the South doesn't really do it any justice, it looked like an entirely different building in person.
Yeah there is a good chunk of glass up now.  This building isn't tall, but should look pretty darn good.
I actually don't mind its short stature, and although it more or less is a box, it's showing a bit more variety. Hopefully this is a sign of more edgy and modern architectural designs in the future, but I won't hold my breath...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Stopped by Gavilon today to take some pictures from other angles of the structure. You get a much better idea of their progress compared to their webcam from the South. Apologies for the blurriness.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like you dropped you camera...

I was down there the other day, I guess I didn't look hard enough to see the glass going in.  Thanks for the update.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Brad wrote:Looks like you dropped you camera...

I was down there the other day, I guess I didn't look hard enough to see the glass going in.  Thanks for the update.
You're quite welcome.

I took them with my phone and I think there may have been a smudge. I didn't notice until I was uploading them. Shame.

The Bride
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

When I drove past in person the glass looked much more clear than the blue in one of the renderings. Happy about that.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

ShawJ wrote:When I drove past in person the glass looked much more clear than the blue in one of the renderings. Happy about that.

Me too. Plus the hue seems to be an agreeable choice as well.

The Bride