Alvine Building (13th and Cass)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Re: 13th and Cass (WST Showroom)

Post by MTO »

Not that it matters but I would like to see the footprints as they are aligned to the block.
15-17, 26, 32
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

I think the Office Space would be a nice feature and would add to day time activity at the building. This location is right next store to the Hilton so it would not be a bad location for a Bar or Restaurant. I know we want to see more diverse retail in the area and Lot B will obviously contain a lot of retail.

Perhaps Lanoha can add a floor or two more residential to their design.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

I am surprised that the City of Omaha only received two proposals. Does anyone know what the RFP process is? Did they make it public to all developers or do they just offer the opportunity to a couple of company's?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

U R my Helix wrote:I am surprised that the City of Omaha only received two proposals. Does anyone know what the RFP process is? Did they make it public to all developers or do they just offer the opportunity to a couple of company's?
Anyone can bid. Have to remember from a developer POV that only one can be chosen so it isn't worth spending time and money making a proposal if you are too busy with projects elsewhere and can't put enough effort in a proposal good enough to win. That or some developers might not see the value of the land that the city is offering. Probably a number of other reasons proposals don't get sent in.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

I like the design of Lanoha's but the height of the first. I believe anything that is to be built down there NEEDS to be at LEAST 5 floors. Otherwise you are just wasting space. Retail/Office on the first floor should also be a requirement.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I hate when they get two submissions each with something desirable, if only a five floor building with office/retail had been submitted. So why didn't the RFP just stipulate office/retail!!
15-17, 26, 32
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I think we've covered pretty well by now why office/retail isn't necessary in this location.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

I honestly wouldn't be worried whatsoever that this lot only got 2 proposals. This is easily the least desirable of all of the DT area lots that will be up for development soon.

Now if Lot B doesn't get at least 3 or 4 good proposals, then I'd start getting worried...
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'm really excited for either of these proposals to be selected, however I am partial to Alchemy's.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Would the five floor building be at all visible from the freeway?
15-17, 26, 32
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

The Lanoha (the mixed-use one of the two options) proposal has been selected.

Expected completion of Summer 2017.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nice. Glad they can move forward, lets see some 2016 activity.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Glad that one is chosen but I prefer the brick look of the other building. I am also a little concerned with the need for retail space at this site. There is virtually no pedestrian traffic there except when the CWS is happening. I just think it will be hard to find tenants who can make a go of the space. The retail portion will probably sit vacant most of the year.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

I don't know, in my humble opinion I think they picked the better of the two ultimately.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

So this is the proposal that goes forward:
Lanoha proposes a four-story complex with fewer apartments, 45, but with office and retail space as well.

The first floor would contain retail and office bays, a lobby and 50 parking stalls. The second level would be made up of offices and a covered terrace, and the third and fourth floors would contain apartments.

Lanoha’s design by Alley Poyner Macchietto Architecture also features a third-floor deck and a community space.

Jason Lanoha of Lanoha Development declined to disclose the project’s price tag. He said his firm chose a mixed-use approach to add around-the-clock action that he said would move north downtown forward.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Any idea when the dirt will fly? "Done by 2017" so pretty soon then.
15-17, 26, 32
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

The retail portion might be difficult to make work at first, but hopefully within a decade there will be enough activity around there to have a solid tenant or tenants there.

I'd rather see an empty retail bay for several years that then gets filled later on, rather than not having any retail space available there in the future when it is needed.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Glad that one is chosen but I prefer the brick look of the other building. I am also a little concerned with the need for retail space at this site. There is virtually no pedestrian traffic there except when the CWS is happening. I just think it will be hard to find tenants who can make a go of the space. The retail portion will probably sit vacant most of the year.

Remember, there are going to be a lot of new people in North downtown that weren't there before. Shamrock, the apartments here, the apartments at The Yard, the one being built on...Nicholas(?). So who knows what the future holds.
No posts exist for this topic
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Glad that one is chosen but I prefer the brick look of the other building. I am also a little concerned with the need for retail space at this site. There is virtually no pedestrian traffic there except when the CWS is happening. I just think it will be hard to find tenants who can make a go of the space. The retail portion will probably sit vacant most of the year.
Retail might be hard to work at first, but NDT and right over the viaduct in it's current form are due to change within the next 2-10 years.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

The retail may be difficult but this is not far from Creighton, across the street from a 600 room hotel, Capitol (Shamrock) development around the corner. There are specialty business that could draw enough business in this location. Who knows by the time this project is finished you could have hundreds of apartments under construction in Lot B.
vvindows10
New to the Neighborhood

Post by vvindows10 »

The little commercial space in this building is well located as it is near the hotels. They can sell maps "Hollywood Style" of where all the historic buildings used to be and give tours of Omaha.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

This would be a greate place for an Coyote Ugly.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MTO wrote:This would be a greate place for an Coyote Ugly.
Who you talkin to boy?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

15-17, 26, 32
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

I like Alchemy’s plan better but the lack of retail in the proposal killed it. Who cares though, it's filling in an empty lot! Is that a garage entrance to the left?
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/alvine-and-a ... 9ca64.html
The privately held firm founded by Ray Alvine and now led by sons Doug and Steve told The World-Herald it will put up for sale its current corporate base at 11th and Douglas Streets and relocate to a new headquarters at 12th and Cass Streets.

Construction is to begin yet this year on the new $15.5 million office, retail and apartment structure to be built in partnership with Lanoha Development.
Just a stroll from the College World Series ballfield and CenturyLink Center, the five-story building is expected to raise Alvine’s visibility and bring more bustle to north downtown Omaha.
Building from scratch allows the engineering firm to tailor 30,500 square feet to its particular office needs, and look at implementing cutting-edge technology used and seen in Alvine-involved projects around the country. That can include things like rainwater harvesting, on-site gray water treatment, green roofs and well-building certification — or designing a building with employees’ health and wellness in mind.

The company’s high-power systems in turn also are expected to benefit apartment dwellers sharing the 90,000-square-foot structure with Alvine.
For example, said Doug Alvine: “They could get super-high-speed Internet that would not exist in a typical environment.” Indeed, he predicted that some of Alvine’s own employees would choose to live in the 45 apartments that will occupy the upper floors.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

So are there no longer apartments included in this project?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Article says 45 units.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I liked the first design a lot more..
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Me too but at least this ones a floor taller.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Says they are still going to start construction yet this year. Maybe it will still be finished by 2017 like originally thought.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I actually like this one a bit more than the old rendering.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

RNcyanide wrote:I actually like this one a bit more than the old rendering.
I do too, but I liked the outside deck on the old rendering better.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

The building in this rendering looks a lot smaller than the other one. Maybe this is a side view?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:The building in this rendering looks a lot smaller than the other one. Maybe this is a side view?
I don't know but hopefully it takes up the majority of the site like the other one was going to.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I like the new design more than the first one. Same architect.....Alley Poyner Machietto. It will be great to have Alvine continue to be a long-term business tenant downtown, along with 45 residential units and some ground floor retail.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So what are you guys thinking those floors are looking 10', 12'?
15-17, 26, 32
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This will be a plus for north downtown. I hope that construction can start yet this summer.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I would suggest a renaming of the thread.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:I would suggest a renaming of the thread.
I thought about that earlier, but there really isn't a project name? "13& Cass Mixed use building?"