Alvine Building (13th and Cass)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Alvine Building (13th and Cass)

Post by Coyote »

For the time being, since this will be the only name on it (according to the news article) how about the Alvine Building.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Related to this, but when people say that there are no more large companies looking for space then a relatively unknown company until the OPA/HDR mess this year is taking 30,500 SF. There are probably a dozen of similar sized office users that we don't even think about in the market that have their eye on space at any given time. Lots of them probably stay put in their current digs, but the potential is out there.

Just goes to say that the 300K SF single user for a high rise isn't the only way. Sure that is the easiest, but to me it seems like some spec space with a ~100K SF anchor would have potential.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I guess I was surprised not that many people knew about them? They have done a lot of projects around town over the past 40 years. I guess everyone pays attention to the architect and not the consultants.

I remember when they moved from the Aquila Court Building (Now the Magnolia). We went to see the new office and Ray Alvine had his own bathroom in his office and the wall in that bathroom was one gigantic photo of the Space Shuttle, it wrapped all the way around the room! Alvine's is also where I saw someone using AutoCAD for the first time and also saw drawings printed on a plotter for the first time. It was an office full of people drawing with pencils on big drafting tables and this guys stuck over in the corner on one of those new computers.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Alvine mostly works directly for architects on building projects as mechanical, electrical, acoustic, aquatic and IT consultants, but they do have some projects where they are the prime professional working directly for a building owner/client. They are in the background most often, figuring out the guts of the building that you don't often see.

It's great for downtown when we have several of these smaller firms as tenants. It makes for a livelier downtown when there are several such firms scattered about, along with the large companies. Large companies such as HDR seem to get all of the attention, but I'd rather see more smaller tenants continue to fill-in, rather than a few giants. I'd love to see a high-rise get built with a mix of residential, small-to-medium office and retail tenants. ....like the proposed Lanoha tower.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

GetUrban wrote:Alvine mostly works directly for architects on building projects as mechanical, electrical, acoustic, aquatic and IT consultants, but they do have some projects where they are the prime professional working directly for a building owner/client. They are in the background most often, figuring out the guts of the building that you don't often see.

It's great for downtown when we have several of these smaller firms as tenants. It makes for a livelier downtown when there are several such firms scattered about, along with the large companies. Large companies such as HDR seem to get all of the attention, but I'd rather see more smaller tenants continue to fill-in, rather than a few giants. I'd love to see a high-rise get built with a mix of residential, small-to-medium office and retail tenants. ....like the proposed Lanoha tower.
Yep, the hardest thing there is that lots of times those large projects need to secure tenants beforehand to secure financing. Those ~25K SF users can't always commit to something 2+ years out. Lots of moving parts with a company that size. Two years could be a ton of growth, it could hit slow patches ect. This Alvine project is a little over a year out, moving quickly and Lanoha would have likely gotten financing with or without a secured tenant on a smaller project like this.

Spec is hard to pull off, but it is necessary to have available space to attract the smaller users DT. It is a difficult chicken/egg situation.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Secure a tenant? why not an old fashioned residential like Mandelbaum's.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MTO wrote:Secure a tenant? why not an old fashioned residential like Mandelbaum's.
The DSM project has a movie theater as a tenant, a rock climbing facility as a tenant and 2 forgivable loans as well as guaranteed public funds if the garage loses money(basically a secured income stream or "tenant") from the city and TIF and a 10 year tax abetment for DT residential, a program that Omaha doesn't have.

It is a little similar to the idea I floated for the OPA lot with the city guarantee of a garage and letting a developer go vertical above it. They just made it so there is a single owner with a city guarantee on the parking ramp to reduce the hassle of of two owners on the same property.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:
MTO wrote:Secure a tenant? why not an old fashioned residential like Mandelbaum's.
The DSM project has a movie theater as a tenant, a rock climbing facility as a tenant and 2 forgivable loans as well as guaranteed public funds if the garage loses money(basically a secured income stream or "tenant") from the city and TIF and a 10 year tax abetment for DT residential, a program that Omaha doesn't have.

It is a little similar to the idea I floated for the OPA lot with the city guarantee of a garage and letting a developer go vertical above it. They just made it so there is a single owner with a city guarantee on the parking ramp to reduce the hassle of of two owners on the same property.
Okay so why aren't we doing this?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF before planning board.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Core samples being taken. Going to be a busy summer on the north side of DT with this, Capitol and The Yard.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

$1.8 million in TIF. Also looks like "Lot One" is the name of the building.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

'Lot One' lol I wonder if that means there's a lot of Lot B talk behind the scenes.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Also looks like "Lot One" is the name of the building.
Or "Union Pacific Place"
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Plans submitted to City
Mixed Use Retail 21300 sq ft.
Office 37040 sq ft.
Apartments 36860 sq ft.

:clap:
thenewguy
County Board

Re: 13th and Cass (WST Showroom)

Post by thenewguy »

RNcyanide wrote:I actually like this one a bit more than the old rendering.

Me too
Go Cubs Go
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Excited for this one. North side of DTO getting a lot of love this year.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Site prep has begun. :cheers:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Can't wait to start annoying everyone with construction photos. :D
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Just for information's sake it looks like Lanoha purchased this lot for $910,000.
nebraska90
New to the Neighborhood

Post by nebraska90 »

New rendering per the OWH article. No real new information was given though - "Alvine and Associates engineering will move into a new headquarters at 12th and Cass Streets in 2017. The building, developed by Lanoha Development, will also house other commercial and residential space."

The building looks awesome though!
Attachments
Capture01.JPG
Capture01.JPG (80.41 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Curious to see what the side facing 480 looks like, but I really like the look of the building.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

If we keep getting these five floor infills we'll be out of room before the next ten floor proposal becomes possible.
15-17, 26, 32
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

MTO wrote:If we keep getting these five floor infills we'll be out of room before the next ten floor proposal becomes possible.
That would be awesome. I love all of the momentum on these midrise infills, they make the whole area so much more vibrant.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

nebraska90 wrote:New rendering per the OWH article. No real new information was given though - "Alvine and Associates engineering will move into a new headquarters at 12th and Cass Streets in 2017. The building, developed by Lanoha Development, will also house other commercial and residential space."

The building looks awesome though!
Is that supposed to be HDR in the background? Interesting how the article points out as soon as they started construction on The Yard that the Slowdown started get people knocking on their door. Wonder what kind of business HDR would have drummed up. I bet the Marriott would have been 14 stories if HDR would have stayed the course.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Let there be walls

15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Elevator shaft is up to get a perspective on the scale of this project. Going to have a great presence for the area.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:Elevator shaft is up to get a perspective on the scale of this project. Going to have a great presence for the area.
Any pictures? I have been meaning to get one for a while now, but forget every time I am down there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Elevator shaft is up to get a perspective on the scale of this project. Going to have a great presence for the area.
Any pictures? I have been meaning to get one for a while now, but forget every time I am down there.
No sorry. Just saw it on my way home from the airport.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Thanks for all the updates! So much happening around Capitol and north right now.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:Thanks for all the updates! So much happening around Capitol and north right now.
Yes there is....glad to see development taking off between the businesses (Kiewit training center and Alvine) residences (the Yard, Capitol District, and Capitol Place) and hotel (Marriott and Camria). This area is really going to take off in the next few years with the increase in daytime and nighttime population increases.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There is framing up for the apartment portion. I really like the development wrapping 480 now. Makes the drive into town from that way feel more "big city."
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I don't really like the blank wall of the building facing east, but much better than an empty lot. Like I mentioned above, still curious to see how this looks from 480.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

This building has topped off.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks for the photo update, I have been meaning to take a picture for a while now.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Its nice infill, but wow, those apartments off the back are awfully close to that elevated interstate. Even with amazing insulation that's got to be loud...
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I like this project but I wish we’d stop with putting in blank walls at the street level.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Ben wrote:Its nice infill, but wow, those apartments off the back are awfully close to that elevated interstate. Even with amazing insulation that's got to be loud...
Well there was an apt building built right across the street from the fire station downtown. They used special insulated glass to minimize sound. I am sure they would do something similar here.