Alvine Building (13th and Cass)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GetUrban
Planning Board

Re: Alvine Building (13th and Cass)

Post by GetUrban »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I like this project but I wish we’d stop with putting in blank walls at the street level.
Agreed. I'm not sure if this building has two levels of parking with basement-level parking under the street-level parking, but it would have been nice to have space for retail/commercial at street-level. I'm guessing it just has one level of parking at street level.

I like the design though. But there seem to be a lot of new designs that have the trendy extruded rectangular box shape protruding from the facade in some manner, including the new HDR at AK, to name one of many.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Not sure what 13th will look like at the end, but remember the blank wall featured in that picture bumps up to train tracks not a sidewalk.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looking pretty much complete from the outside, nice looking building.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Quick photo while walking into the Creighton game on Saturday:

The building looks very nice, but I don't know why there are so many buildings with that exact same design or very similar.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Really coming along, thanks for the update!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

One more update:

Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

skinzfan23 wrote:Quick photo while walking into the Creighton game on Saturday:

The building looks very nice, but I don't know why there are so many buildings with that exact same design or very similar.

Is there a name for the style? Its been quite prevalent nationally over the past 5-10 years.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Louie wrote:

Is there a name for the style? Its been quite prevalent nationally over the past 5-10 years.
And I'm not a fan. This style is what architects give to someone who wants a good looking building with minimal costs and efforts. There is no pride in having a blank, unrecognizable building with zero distinguishing features. Sorry to go off on this, but I wonder what happened to having pride in what you build.
#gohawks
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

buildomaha wrote:
Louie wrote:

And I'm not a fan. This style is what architects give to someone who wants a good looking building with minimal costs and efforts. There is no pride in having a blank, unrecognizable building with zero distinguishing features. Sorry to go off on this, but I wonder what happened to having pride in what you build.
I agree.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

buildomaha wrote:This style is what architects give to someone who wants a good looking building with minimal costs and efforts. There is no pride in having a blank, unrecognizable building with zero distinguishing features. Sorry to go off on this, but I wonder what happened to having pride in what you build.
I don't see this as a problem. Yeah, maybe it is uninspiring, but it is a good looking building and It's a product of the market. What style are you looking for?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

buildomaha wrote:
Louie wrote:

My biggest peeve with it is the complete lack of street features and character. These buildings always seem cold to me.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I think it's gorgeous.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Here's an image of building in Utah that has some similar features, popular among many designers these days...

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is another one locally (Women's Center for Advancement, 3801 Harney)

I get that it is popular, but it is crazy how so many of the designs one office buildings look this way in Omaha in the past 3-5 years. I agree that the Alvine building looks nice, but I just wish there would be some creativity in designing buildings.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I forgot about that one!

Some of the similarities have to do with the manufacturers of the building components, such as metal panels and curtain walls, that you see on new buildings. They publish photos of their products in marketing materials. Some of the detailing of how the products actually are made to fit together comes from the manufacturer's own engineering departments and is utilized by architects.

Similarities in building design have been happening throughout history all the way back to the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, etc.

The same thing happens in Automobile design with many designers picking up design cues from each other's current designs. Their cars all begin to look the same until people start getting tired of them and something more innovative comes along again to be repeated.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

GetUrban wrote:I forgot about that one!

Some of the similarities have to do with the manufacturers of the building components, such as metal panels and curtain walls, that you see on new buildings. They publish photos of their products in marketing materials. Some of the detailing of how the products actually are made to fit together comes from the manufacturer's own engineering departments and is utilized by architects.

Similarities in building design have been happening throughout history all the way back to the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, etc.

The same thing happens in Automobile design with many designers picking up design cues from each other's current designs. Their cars all begin to look the same until people start getting tired of them and something more innovative comes along again to be repeated.
Fair enough. What is your opinion on the style?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Louie wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I forgot about that one!

Fair enough. What is your opinion on the style?
I actually like the style, if you can call it that. It still looks fresh, even though elements are being copied often. I don't know if anyone has come up with a critically-recognized name for for it yet, or if it is just a variation of an already existing style. It's not really Late-Modern, Post Modern, Brutal-ism, or De-Constructivist. I think of it as "Extruded Frame" architecture, for lack of a better description. Usually the name that ends up getting adopted by historians for a style refers to the underlying ideas and principles behind a look that drive the appearance. Maybe it should be called "Neo-Mid 20th-Century Modern." If that name sticks, you heard it here first!
OmahaShomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OmahaShomaha »

obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

OmahaShomaha wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:19 am A look inside the building:
https://rdgusa.com/projects/alvine-engi ... /corporate
I've been there for meetings. The old documents/plans display (photo 3) is super neat.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

GetUrban wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:16 pm Here's an image of building in Utah that has some similar features, popular among many designers these days...

Just saw this post. I moved to Salt Lake City about a year ago and there are TONS of buildings like this one that have sprung up. They all have "For Lease" signs outside and are trying to find tenants for the top 2 or 3 floors.