Alvine Building (13th and Cass)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: 13th and Cass (WST Showroom)

Post by daveoma »

iamjacobm wrote:
MTO wrote:But a skinny residential would be a perfect fit for that small parcel.
That spot isn't that small. Basically the same size as the lot 1501 Jackson was built on.
Still, a tall thin residential tower would be quite a sight! I think this is a fantastic idea.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Given the electric wires, I really wonder how much of the lot could actually be built upon...

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Could the wires be buried underground?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

daveoma wrote:Could the wires be buried underground?
They could and should but it costs a lot of money.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Perfect site for a small grocery store to serve the folks in the new apartments in Shamrock and The Yard (I can now type that name without vomiting! :)). It doesn't need to be a humungous Super 10 story Target/Walmart of Doom, it just needs to be big enough to serve the people living in the area...which I think will fit within the lot without having to worry about the power lines.
No posts exist for this topic
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Or better yet... temporary parking while lot B is being developed with a parking garage.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

HskrFanMike wrote:Or better yet... temporary parking while lot B is being developed with a parking garage.
:what: Can't tell if your joking?

I imagine 3/4 of Lot B can stay open while a large parking garage is built on one of the blocks as phase 1 of the redevelopment.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Alchemy Development and Lanoha Development were the two bids that were received. Still trying to see if there is more info floating around.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Alchemy Development and Lanoha Development were the two bids that were received. Still trying to see if there is more info floating around.
Alchemy - (AV Pinhook Flats) vs Lanoha. I don't know who to root for yet...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

WST Showroom ------->> Lanoha Showroom??
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The old WST was moved from the Landmark Center to a building that no longer exists.
So what does Alchamy's portfolio look like?
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Their site details the stuff they already have going on in Aksarben and a few other things, but there's only 5-6 of their projects mentioned at all.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:So what does Alchamy's portfolio look like?
They are a great company. Alchamy is the development part of a larger company that has apartments all over town. Their two most recent projects are Pinhook Flats in Aksarben Village and Shadow Lake Town Square apartments in Papillion, I have been in both and they are both really nice.

From their website:
Alchemy Development transforms urban sites into multi-family and mixed use real estate that is profitable, sustainable and embraces traditional neighborhood design principles. Alchemy implements and manages all stages of the development process — from imagination, site selection and design to construction, financing and marketing.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Out of the two renderings/proposals, I prefer the Lanoha proposal better because it includes retail while the other doesn't, although I like the look of the Alchemy one a lot more.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/companies-su ... 31dc9.html
Alchemy’s plan is primarily housing, calling for construction of a five-story, L-shaped structure with 78 apartments and indoor parking.

A rooftop deck would be carved out of a top-floor space, offering a view of TD Ameritrade Park and the CenturyLink Center.

The $10.8 million project would seek $1.2 million in tax-increment financing and be called Factory 12 — a nod to the Old Mattress Factory restaurant across the street and to 12th Street, said Alchemy’s Bert Hancock.

Owners of the Old Mattress Factory are signed on as co-developers. Also involved in Factory 12 are Holland Basham Architects and Dicon Construction.
Competitor Lanoha proposes a four-story complex with fewer apartments, 45, but with office and retail space as well.

The first floor would contain retail and office bays, a lobby and 50 parking stalls. The second level would be made up of offices and a covered terrace, and the third and fourth floors would contain apartments.

Lanoha’s design by Alley Poyner Macchietto Architecture also features a third-floor deck and a community space.

Jason Lanoha of Lanoha Development declined to disclose the project’s price tag. He said his firm chose a mixed-use approach to add around-the-clock action that he said would move north downtown forward.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Ah, North Downtown is fully off and running. How awesome is this?
No posts exist for this topic
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

And I award the project to, Alchemy.
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Whoa! Both those projects look amazing. I would pick Lanoha out of the two.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I like both, but I really like the idea of retail and office space. There's really not much to write home about in regards to retail down there.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I would take either. It looks like one has retail along Cass while the other along 12th St. I think retail along Cass would do better in the long run - unless they turn 480 into a boulevard :yes:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:I would take either. It looks like one has retail along Cass while the other along 12th St. I think retail along Cass would do better in the long run - unless they turn 480 into a boulevard :yes:
Alchemy doesn't include retail. Plus along 12th there is the rail tracks.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I would take either. It looks like one has retail along Cass while the other along 12th St. I think retail along Cass would do better in the long run - unless they turn 480 into a boulevard :yes:
No retail on the Alchemy project:
While the Alchemy project won’t offer retail space, its street level will feature big glass windows through which pedestrians can see fitness and community rooms. “It gives it some liveliness at the ground-floor level,” Hancock said.
After seeing all the storefronts used 2 weeks a year down there and also the possibility of the lot B development, probably a wise move on their part.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

With the Kiewit ed center going in down there, plus the apartments, plus the yet-to-be-announced hotel which will hopefully have a restaurant or bar open to the public, there should be some activity outside of the CWS going on down there.

The Bride
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

They both look great, I really like both designs. We can't lose either way.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I like the look of the Alchemy design better but with retail being added to the Lanoha, that makes that one desirable as well. I just wonder if the Lanoha one is chosen, will the retail space be filled all year or just during the CWS? A lot of those spaces tend to only be temporary in buildings down there.

Either way, glad to see that land get developed. I was worried at one time that the Wallstreet sales office would stay there and someone would try to use it. Glad to see these proposals and much better use of the space. I wonder what the timeline is for either project. I would think something like these could be built in 18 months.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

skinzfan23 wrote:I like the look of the Alchemy design better but with retail being added to the Lanoha, that makes that one desirable as well. I just wonder if the Lanoha one is chosen, will the retail space be filled all year or just during the CWS? A lot of those spaces tend to only be temporary in buildings down there.

Either way, glad to see that land get developed. I was worried at one time that the Wallstreet sales office would stay there and someone would try to use it. Glad to see these proposals and much better use of the space. I wonder what the timeline is for either project. I would think something like these could be built in 18 months.
I'd have to say pretty much the same thing. I like the visual architecture of the Alchemy building, plus the extra floor, but I'm sure the final design would look different anyway.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I really like Lanoha's project on a different lot. Ideally every project would have retail, office and residential in NDT, but in reality it is much harder. I don't think retail here has much of a chance. It is basically on an interstate ramp, here is no parking on the street in front and with the train tracks you lose the higher profile corner spot. Plus as Brad mentioned Lot B could be chock full of retail eventually along with Captiol District.

I really love the Lanoha proposal, but I think having 75 units full would be more beneficial than 45 and office space with empty store fronts.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:.

I really love the Lanoha proposal, but I think having 75 units full would be more beneficial than 45 and office space with empty store fronts.
The more I think about it, I feel the same way.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Still, something needs to be done to attract more retail to North Downtown...

The Bride
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

True, but I don't think this is an appropriate place for retail either. The more people that live in the area, the more retail that will be attracted to the major developments in Lot B, Shamrock, and the Yard.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If these exact same projects were proposed for the surface lot just west of the UP daycare center Lanoha would be a slam dunk choice for me. This lot I just have a hard time seeing retail survive.

We do need retail in NDT, but overbuilt and poorly place retail spaces don't do us any good. Strong residential density with focused retail corridors is a better choice than a lot of disjointed storefronts that don't support each other.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

iamjacobm wrote:I really like Lanoha's project on a different lot. Ideally every project would have retail, office and residential in NDT, but in reality it is much harder. I don't think retail here has much of a chance. It is basically on an interstate ramp, here is no parking on the street in front and with the train tracks you lose the higher profile corner spot. Plus as Brad mentioned Lot B could be chock full of retail eventually along with Captiol District.

You make some good points. I've changed my mind, Alchemy would be my choice now. And as a bonus, the design of Alchemy is a lot better and the bottom floor having big windows does kinda give it a vibrant feel.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

A perfect place for that Lanoha proposal if it doesn't get chosen would be the northeast corner of 10th & Dodge. Hint hint............
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I'd love to see another angle of the Lanoha development. I can't tell for certain, but I think the middle part is kicked back at an angle, which provides an appealing touch of variation.

The Bride
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

From the renderings the Alchemy project seems to use higher quality materials and has more units. However I do think like the idea of 1St floor retail. That said I'd prefer the Alchemy project.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Upon closer inspection the Lanoha one does look more unique. I'm torn.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Upon closer inspection the Lanoha one does look more unique. I'm torn.
What I chuckled at a little was that the Alchemy project designed by HBA looks just like APM's designs all over town.

The Lanoha proposal designed by APM reminds me of a BVH design.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I think one of them would work wonderfully in Midtown. Either where the former North Tower of the 'Twin Towers' across from MTC was, or in another space where a building will be demolished or in an empty lot (I'm not too familiar with the surrounding area).

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

RNcyanide wrote:I think one of them would work wonderfully in Midtown. Either where the former North Tower of the 'Twin Towers' across from MTC was, or in another space where a building will be demolished or in an empty lot (I'm not too familiar with the surrounding area).
It won't be a piecemeal development on that land. MoO wants to control everything that goes there and it will be exactly what and who they want on each piece of land.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

iamjacobm wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Upon closer inspection the Lanoha one does look more unique. I'm torn.
What I chuckled at a little was that the Alchemy project designed by HBA looks just like APM's designs all over town.

The Lanoha proposal designed by APM reminds me of a BVH design.
I was thinking the same thing. If APM didn't have their logo embedded in their rendering, I would wonder if the OWH mistakenly swapped the captions. We'll be in great shape with either design. Long term, the mixed-use design is preferable, but the area could use an infusion of more people living there 24/7, so the greater number of living units might be best for North Downtown at this point, as you mentioned earlier. I can't wait to see what kind of proposals come in for Lot B to the north. I hope we can soon move beyond north DT just supporting the CWS 2-weeks a year, with vacant store fronts the rest of the time. It will happen eventually.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.