Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge (Part Two)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge (Part Two)

Post by iamjacobm »

A funding plan in place is grea news. I'll have to go review that PDF that shows the options to see what that final cost will get us.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is great news to hear. I am thinking the bridge will look more like the other bridge (MLK bridge) that crosses the railroad tracks to the south side of the CenturyLink Center. With Omaha's track record of getting money from big donors for projects like this....I believe it will definitely happen.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is probably the general plan. It was the only presented option within the reported budget.

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

It's not a dream come true but I think it's really good that this is going forward. There'll be lots more people going to the Kerry bridge once it's finished.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Longer down the road that parking lot may open up to development and I think that would bring up the issue of visibility of the bridge. I think a parking lot kind of messes with the effect, and if a parking lot were built there, it will forever be a parking lot... That, or the building that might be built there would be limited to one story. I personally would prefer a small park
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

[youtube][/youtube]

Well...
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I love it! ! Quirky and hip and colorful...just what Omaha needs to project to the world
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I like it too.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A Visit Omaha project...

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

One of you photographers should update the Wiki with a night shot there isn't a picture with the LEDs a-glow..
15-17, 26, 32
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

iamjacobm wrote:This is probably the general plan. It was the only presented option within the reported budget.

Are those two areas at the base of the new bridge dedicated parking? It seems strange to carve space out of a parking lot to make a parking lot. I think the design says we think of this as a decorative bridge that is a tourist attraction rather than a pedestrian bridge simply being part of the city's infrastructure.

Instead of dedicated parking lots and a curving bridge make this a simple straight bridge. Save 50% of the cost and spend that money on better sidewalks and bike lanes in the rest of the city.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Joe_Sovereign wrote: Are those two areas at the base of the new bridge dedicated parking? It seems strange to carve space out of a parking lot to make a parking lot. I think the design says we think of this as a decorative bridge that is a tourist attraction rather than a pedestrian bridge simply being part of the city's infrastructure.

Instead of dedicated parking lots and a curving bridge make this a simple straight bridge. Save 50% of the cost and spend that money on better sidewalks and bike lanes in the rest of the city.
I agree 100%. The bridge itself is very attractive. Just make the connection functional. Ideally let cars through, then you might actually get some traffic to Storz.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Dundeemaha wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote: Are those two areas at the base of the new bridge dedicated parking? It seems strange to carve space out of a parking lot to make a parking lot. I think the design says we think of this as a decorative bridge that is a tourist attraction rather than a pedestrian bridge simply being part of the city's infrastructure.

I agree 100%. The bridge itself is very attractive. Just make the connection functional. Ideally let cars through, then you might actually get some traffic to Storz.
Seconded. Move it closer to the Convention Center and make it multi-modal.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I'm guessing the sloping bridge helps keep the incline manageable.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

It's a shame that the whole thing is a Superfund site. There could be so much more going on here.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

I wonder how long it would take to build.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

A presenter talked about baby bob at the ASCE conference this spring. I think that the plan shown here was the one that was vetoed by MECA. I'll look through my notes to see what the other concerns were, but I remember that they had to allow for an addition to the convention center.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

yellowcolumbia wrote:A presenter talked about baby bob at the ASCE conference this spring. I think that the plan shown here was the one that was vetoed by MECA. I'll look through my notes to see what the other concerns were, but I remember that they had to allow for an addition to the convention center.
With the one above, it looks like there is room to expand. I know there were other ones that were closer to the building that I could see them having a problem with.
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
yellowcolumbia wrote:A presenter talked about baby bob at the ASCE conference this spring. I think that the plan shown here was the one that was vetoed by MECA. I'll look through my notes to see what the other concerns were, but I remember that they had to allow for an addition to the convention center.
With the one above, it looks like there is room to expand. I know there were other ones that were closer to the building that I could see them having a problem with.
I wasn't clear, but my "room to expand" comment was in reply to the prior comments to move the bridge closer to the convention center. That's why it's futher away.

I found my notes, but they are pretty sparse for that presentation. MECA's primary concerns were room for convention center expansion and limiting the number of parking spaces that would be lost. Another concern, maybe not MECA's, was trying to avoid dropping back down to ground level between the bridges.

Looking at the MECA meeting notes, it looks like they are moving forward with a plan that straightens the bridge out. So maybe something close to Alternative 2 shown on the pdf linked by iamjacobm.
iamjacobm wrote:Lots of great info here:

http://www.ketv.com/blob/view/-/2811091 ... e-info.pdf
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I feel that anything less of the design posted above (minus the parking lot) would be a disgrace to the original bridge. I agree a bridge that would allow automobiles would be ideal but just isn't possible with the height required for train clearance.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Getting my wish for a stage cover.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Haha, that's the only time I think I've seen the height specified for a dummy in an architectural rendering!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

You'd think they'd have a silhouette with skinny-jeans for music oriented cartoons by now.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just a brief quote from the World Herald article about extending Capitol towards the riverfront:
A connector bridge from the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge to north downtown could come sooner. Construction for “Baby Bob” is scheduled for 2018 or 2019.
Good to hear that it is still a go.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The connector bridge should have opened nine years ago.
15-17, 26, 32
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

MTO wrote:The connector bridge should have opened nine years ago.
Exactly. It makes zero sense to build a bridge on a road that can only be accessed by going over a bridge that is in the opposite direction of all the stadium, arena, and downtown itself. Poorly planned imo.
#gohawks
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Baby Bob
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

That’s so cool! Also it makes me wonder if they have any plans to add colored spotlights shining up/down the towers of the bridge so the whole thin can be lit.
#gohawks
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

On that note, anybody heard any further news on the baby bob yet? Thought there was supposed to be further news coming around mid year.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Friday we had dinner at the Santa Lucia Festival (Riverfront) and then went to the Summer Arts Festival (By the Ballpark). Talk about a perfect time to have the connector bridge in place! Two events that should be totally walkable. What could have been 0.40 miles gate to gate is actually 1.25 Miles gate to gate. Needless to say with a two year old and one on the way, no way.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Took a short walk on the bridge today and noticed electricians installing new lighting across the entire span. These lights are lower profile and appear to be more energy efficient, probably LED of some kind. I'm guessing they'll be able to do a lot of multi color and other aspects that the previous ones didn't have.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

omahahawk wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:00 pm Took a short walk on the bridge today and noticed electricians installing new lighting across the entire span. These lights are lower profile and appear to be more energy efficient, probably LED of some kind. I'm guessing they'll be able to do a lot of multi color and other aspects that the previous ones didn't have.
That is great news. I can't believe how many times the current lights are not working, especially when there are major events going on in town. Maybe they can focus on fixing the lights on the CHI center facing 480 as well. Those haven't been working properly since Berkshire.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

I guess with the GLM/riverfront redevelopment the focus of private and public investment it makes sense that Baby Bob has been put on hold, but this is a no-brainer, is it not, especially with the completion of the Capitol District and greater investment in North Downtown, aka the Builder's District? I hope Baby Bob gets traction in the next couple years as North Downtown is built out and the Riverfront becomes more of a destination for visitors and locals.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The "Baby Bob" connector has been discussed as far back as 2001 or 2000, when the original design of the curvy Bob Kerrey bridge was first conceived. That original design came in 3 times the original $22 million budget (even without the baby Bob included), leading to the narrower, less curvy design-build bridge that we have now. But I agree, the connection to Fahey St, (formally Webster St,) is long over due!
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

omahahawk wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:00 pm Took a short walk on the bridge today and noticed electricians installing new lighting across the entire span. These lights are lower profile and appear to be more energy efficient, probably LED of some kind. I'm guessing they'll be able to do a lot of multi color and other aspects that the previous ones didn't have.
They are working on the bridge right now, 10 o’clock on a Thursday night. Five or six of the cable lights just turned red. They were red for about a minute and then right back to white.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I noticed during the CWS opening ceremonies, they lit up the pylons and all the cables with the LED lights, which are able to constantly change as well. Hopefully they go with that lighting scheme because it seemed to look so much more vibrant than it normally does.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Very nice :)

Happy Pride to All 🏳️‍🌈🇺🇸🏳️‍🌈🇺🇸🏳️‍🌈🇺🇸🏳️‍🌈🇺🇸🏳️‍🌈✊🏻✊🏻✊🏻