Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge (Part Two)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Keep in mind that this is a good sign, but no funding for the actual bridge yet exists.  Also, MECA has threatened to fuss if it gets in their way.
Coyote
City Council

Re:

Post by Coyote »

omahahawk wrote:Having seen the article on the planned new sculpture in the park on the CB side it occured to me it would be nice if Omaha could also find a way to put a small new sculpture or instalation on their side at the public fountains. The fiber optic installation apparently hasn't been sustainable and with that now gone the space just looks a little empty.  It would be nice to see something takes its place, not necessarily anything major, just a practical/modest work of some kind.  Maybe have a contest or submit bids amongst local artists like with the O's.

Anybody hear anything on a replacement yet?
Brad
City Council

Re: Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge (Part Two)

Post by Brad »

I made a "Time Lapse" Video of the Pedestrian Construction. The Video includes photos from 2006-2012

Watch the building of the Pedestrian Bridge over in this thread: http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16046
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From mayor Stothert's twitter:
The lights on the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge will be blue starting tomorrow night for Senior night and the Big East basketball tournament. Congratulations to the Jays and the fans
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

With the database issues fixed, this thread and the original one could probably be merged.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:With the database issues fixed, this thread and the original one could probably be merged.
I will check in to it. The last thread was so large it still was having problems with the moderation tools.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/want-a-pop-o ... b5a7d.html
Last September, the vending machine’s built-in security cameras recorded vandals using a street sign to ram the glass in the machine. The machine had been in place about nine months and had already been vandalized several times. Bench said that as far as he knows, the people involved in that incident have not yet been apprehended.

The owner of the giant, automated vendor apparently hopes to install it someplace less turbulent. Bench said the owner told him his plan was to “find a new home for it.”
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/money/want-a-pop-o ... b5a7d.html

Last September, the vending machine’s built-in security cameras recorded vandals using a street sign to ram the glass in the machine. The machine had been in place about nine months and had already been vandalized several times. Bench said that as far as he knows, the people involved in that incident have not yet been apprehended.

The owner of the giant, automated vendor apparently hopes to install it someplace less turbulent. Bench said the owner told him his plan was to “find a new home for it.”

So frustrating! But I agree it's a valid reason. Something definitely needs to be fixed there. This is becoming a prime area for crime
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That |expletive| Sucks! Not that I used the machines, but it sucks that we can't have anything nice downtown because of worthless, piece of |expletive|, scum bags, that have to ruin it.

Sad think it this won't solve anything, they will just find other stuff to destroy.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Brad wrote:That |expletive| Sucks!  Not that I used the machines, but it sucks that we can't have anything nice downtown because of worthless, piece of |expletive|, scum bags, that have to ruin it.  

Sad think it this won't solve anything, they will just find other stuff to destroy.

The guys a fool thinking he could put that machine down there. Talk about optimistic thinking! Worse yet is where could you put that machine without it getting beat up and broken into. I live in Millard and even out here that machine would run out of luck soon enough. Theres no place for that machine in Omaha!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

As odd as it sounds, I think once more people live down there through apartments and what not, I think this will curtail this problem.
No posts exist for this topic
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

MadMartin8 wrote:As odd as it sounds, I think once more people live down there through apartments and what not, I think this will curtail this problem.
As once this extension is built, a lot more people will be going over there from CLC, TDAP and the other things around there.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

The top LED lights were off last night, it would appear the storm knocked them out. Hopefully an easy fix.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I hope this access bridge hadn't been forgotten about.
15-17, 26, 32
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I'll admit, every time I see an update to this thread, I wonder "Well, who got shot or what was broken today?"
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote:As odd as it sounds, I think once more people live down there through apartments and what not, I think this will curtail this problem.

I think you are right on this. Hopefully some movement soon on the access bridge.

Greg
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Baby bob is moving ahead at the typically federal pace. Next required study phase begins soon, will determine engineering level cost estimate to use for fund raising.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Greg S wrote:

I think you are right on this.  Hopefully some movement soon on the access bridge.

Greg
Hope so. Depends on the crowd they get moving in there. Upscale, and you will see it dampen out. A bunch of non upscale people move in, and it will continue to devolve.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I think it will be a long time before anything but "upscale" is close to the bridge.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GetUrban wrote:I think it will be a long time before anything but "upscale" is close to the bridge.
Unless you included Rick's... :sly:
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Coyote wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I think it will be a long time before anything but "upscale" is close to the bridge.
Unless you included Rick's...  :sly:

Good point. They thought they were somewhat upscale. I haven't been to the new Storz place yet. I want it to be good.

The sad thing is there will always be people who see fit to vandalize any public space whenever they think nobody is looking.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Meeting on the project on the 18th. What was kind of interesting is the picture they posted of the project for the facebook event.

Had I just missed this image before or are there some plans in the work to expand the convention center? That rendering eliminates the access road to the loading docks too.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

iamjacobm wrote:Meeting on the project on the 18th.  What was kind of interesting is the picture they posted of the project for the facebook event.

Had I just missed this image before or are there some plans in the work to expand the convention center?  That rendering eliminates the access road to the loading docks too.
Where is this picture posted? What meeting?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Thanks for posting this. I would love to attend this meeting but will unfortunately be unable to do so. If anyone goes your posted description and assessment would be most appreciated.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

iamjacobm wrote:Meeting on the project on the 18th.  What was kind of interesting is the picture they posted of the project for the facebook event.

Had I just missed this image before or are there some plans in the work to expand the convention center?  That rendering eliminates the access road to the loading docks too.
The convention center was built to be expanded one day perhaps they're just keeping the land clear for that.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

This needs to get done. Even though I am not a supporter of the original bridge, it is stupid to have it sit there with no way to get to it.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

swgiust wrote:This needs to get done. Even though I am not a supporter of the original bridge, it is stupid to have it sit there with no way to get to it.
If that is true, I wonder how the thousands of yearly users get to the bridge? But, I agree the new connection is badly needed. I hope they can find a way to fund it, even with all of the bridge naysayers constantly poo-pooing it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This preferred design still mentions a 'moderate' Lot D impact, yet it seems to have the greatest impact on the Lot, yet, there now is extensive landscaping to the north of the CLink. I have noticed small outdoor concerts/poetry reads and what not, on stages that utilize that area. With this preferred design, I wonder if they have taken this in mind, to have an area that can be multi-functional and separate from activities in Lot D.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The preferred design could use some help with the parking layout and landscaping, which doesn't seem very cohesive with the design of bridge extension itself. It looks like there were 4 or 5 different parking lot designers who didn't talk with the bridge designer. I don't really like the island of parking between the bridge and convention center. Seems like it needs a higher use other than parking, but I suppose that is the space left for convention center expansion.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

While some designs may be more appealing than others I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to say most people on here would take any of them. And while I've wanted this connector to happen for years I too have to admit that it should only be done with private funding. This would be what I'm most interested in learning about in the next few days. That is to say what the likelihood of obtaining the necessary funds is, what sources the funding will come from, and what kind of timeframe it would take. I contributed a little bit when they were raising funds for the pedestrian bridge. Let's just say my contribution didn't exactly need to go through Heritage Services first but I did feel like I should at least make some effort and would be willing to do so again. Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing more about this soon.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Do we privately fund streets? Why should this rely on private funding? It is to serve the public.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

nativeomahan wrote:Do we privately fund streets?  Why should this rely on private funding?  It is to serve the public.
Exactly!
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:Do we privately fund streets?  Why should this rely on private funding?  It is to serve the public.
Exactly!

Don't get me wrong. I want to see this thing happen at least as much as anyone else here. However, I am also a practical person and can weigh my desire for this bridge connector against and what some people might say is a more appropriate use for public funds. I wasn't making any angry phone calls when the mayor put the brakes on Crossroads. That being said I think I saw a OWH headline recently saying the city was showing 6 million in surplus. Don't know what these funds are ear marked for but put it this way, I also wouldn't being making any angry calls if a bit of this 6 million somehow found its way to this project.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

The LED lights are working again :clap:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Are all of them working or just certain sides? I saw a few working this spring but by summer they were all out. It has been awhile since all of the sides were working properly. If they are, this is great news. I will be downtown tomorrow night for Bluejay Madness, I will have to check it out.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Yes, they were all on and they were BlueJay Blue!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:The LED lights are working again :clap:
Awesome. They went out before the CWS and I was starting to loose hope that they would ever get them going again...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thats exactly what I was thinking Brad. I was worried that they gave up hope on them. Lets hope this time they can keep them running for longer than a few months. At least we shouldn' have any lightning to deal with until March or April. If they continually keep going out, maybe they should look at other lighting options even if it doesn't have the capability to change colors.

I did see them on this morning when driving to work downtown. Also the Woodmen was lit up with red, white and blue.