The Coal Yard (13th and Nicholas)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This property is North of Nicholas Street, West of the Mastercraft Building in North Downtown.

http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/im ... g/240a.pdf

This property is going to city council tomorrow to rezone the property from HI (Heavy Industry) to CBD (Central Business District).  There are ZERO development plans with this re-zoning.  However this would be the first step towards that.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That is a huge piece of property.  Does the city do something like this purely preemptively or by the request of the land owner or by request of an interested developer?
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: The Coal Yard (13th and Nicholas)

Post by iamjacobm »

Request to change the zoning to CBD and officially make it an area of civic importance.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I heard that this land was recently purchased by a developer, but has no idea what to do with it yet.
Omahan6301
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahan6301 »

Hearing they are working to make this a little start up village, reusing old shipping containers. And I know this sounds far fetched but I'm just relaying the message.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Omahan6301 wrote:Hearing they are working to make this a little start up village, reusing old shipping containers. And I know this sounds far fetched but I'm just relaying the message.
i thought this plan was already covered somewhere in the mastercraft thread? if not, i have no clue where I heard about it but I know it's a thing.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:I heard that this land was recently purchased by a developer, but has no idea what to do with it yet.
Parking lot for CWS for eternity?
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Coyote wrote:I heard that this land was recently purchased by a developer, but has no idea what to do with it yet.
Parking lot for CWS for eternity?
During the first few days of the CWS, OPD was trying to keep people from parking on this private property, but soon gave up trying to enforce that.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Just for updates same this whole lassie swath of land is basically flat and clear thanks to a massie sewer project around here that has taken the better part of a year. The site couldn't be more prepared for development.

The issue here will be how patient the developer is and what kind of vision he has for the next decade of growth.