Pinnacle / Swanson Site (10th and Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

Out of the 3 proposals on Page 15, Which one is your favorite

Proposal 1: Shamrock
77%
Proposal 2: Buckingham
9%
Proposal 3: Nexus
14%

Total votes: 22

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:55 pm

The OWH reports that MECA isn't obligated to build a hotel on the Swanson site until 2019. I hope it doesn't take even half that long.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:56 pm

DTO Luv wrote:The OWH reports that MECA isn't obligated to build a hotel on the Swanson site until 2019. I hope it doesn't take even half that long.

I keep thinking of the "Omaha isn't working fast enough" comment last week.
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

nebport5
Parks & Recreation

Postby nebport5 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:32 pm

Maybe the 2019 timeline is more for the city than for Meca.  At the time when this site is turned into a hotel, Meca will of course require the city to pull more parking out of their backside before construction can begin.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Fri May 09, 2008 3:37 pm

Mayor Fahey just told Matt Perault that the Pinnacle site should start to be taken down in 45 days from now and should be completed and paved before the end of the year (when ground breaking for the stadium would take place).

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Fri May 09, 2008 7:06 pm

Spare me all the "necessary evil" and "it's only temporary" |expletive|, because I know.  But I still can't get over the fact that we're PAVING a NEW |expletive| surface parking lot Downtown.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963

S33
County Board

Postby S33 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:02 am

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Spare me all the "necessary evil" and "it's only temporary" |expletive|, because I know.  But I still can't get over the fact that we're PAVING a NEW |expletive| surface parking lot Downtown.

I couldn't agree more. I would really hope Fahey & Co. would exercise better judgment for that area. At the very least a multi-level parking garge.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Wed May 14, 2008 12:03 pm

I mean, I understand it's "temporary" and they wouldn't want to build a garage when there will be a hotel built there sometime in the not too distant future, but a cohesive/contextual plan would be nice....
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Tue May 20, 2008 7:50 pm

[font=Georgia]Omaha council approves demolition of downtown plant[/font]

KAREN SLOAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The Omaha City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to approve a $3.4 million contract for Anderson Excavating to demolish the plant at 10th Street and Capitol Avenue. The council is expected to approve several more ballpark measures — including an agreement with the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority to run the ballpark and increases in the city's hotel tax rate and car rental tax rate — at its June 10 meeting.

City Planning Director Steve Jensen said Omaha is also working on acquiring several properties adjacent to the Pinnacle plant. Those lots currently house two active businesses — Hauff Sporting Goods and Ferguson Enterprises. Jensen said the city is looking for sites to relocate those businesses.

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Postby cdub » Wed May 21, 2008 8:10 am

S33 wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Spare me all the "necessary evil" and "it's only temporary" |expletive|, because I know.  But I still can't get over the fact that we're PAVING a NEW |expletive| surface parking lot Downtown.

I couldn't agree more. I would really hope Fahey & Co. would exercise better judgment for that area. At the very least a multi-level parking garge.

Blame MECA not Fahey.  This was how the deal got done.  MECAs infatuation with suburban style parking availability is going to be a thorn for a while.  In this case it is costing at least a million extra bucks to RUSH this site along for parking prior to any work starting on the ballpark site.  It is still a future development site as far as the City is concerned.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Wed May 21, 2008 8:13 am

Here here!

Ben
Human Relations

Postby Ben » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:55 pm

Demolition should begin shortly!!!  Anderson Excavating was onsite today putting out concrete barriers around the site, and looked to be gathering equipment in the parking lot. There have also been a couple of holes dug at various sites - I'd assume to disconnect utilities.
Does anyone know if they've negotiated buyouts with the other 2 businesses at this site (Hauff and Ferguson), or if they're just going to start work at the east end of the site, and hope that buy-outs are complete by the time they get to these pieces of the property.   If so, that's a heck of a strong arm tactic.  Are there plans to use eminent domain, and just take the properties if they can't agree to a relocation package with the city?

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:39 am

On Grow Omaha this morning they mentioned that MECA has already received several bids to develop the Pinnacle site.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:56 pm

Oh, wow!  Any other details?

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:07 pm

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Oh, wow!  Any other details?

This was just mentioned in passing. The only other thing they said is the same - they hope for ground floor retail, office spaces and residential above - and hoping for a parking structure.

Ben
Human Relations

Postby Ben » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:47 pm

So, Anderson Excavating didn't have to move their equipment very far...  Looks like most all of the heavy equipment that was doing the demo at the UP site just moved down the block to the Pinnacle building.  I'd expect them to start up shortly now that they're done at UP.

Anyone heard any updates on the proposed buyouts of the 2 other businesses on the Pinnacle site?  I hope that doesn't hold things up at all...

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Postby ItsAllAboutMe » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:30 pm

They have starting taking it down and they are going fast.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:33 pm

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:They have starting taking it down and they are going fast.

Fast is GOOD!  I might need to take my new set of wheels down there tonight and check it out!
@bradwphoto on Twitter

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:44 pm

So doe's this mean something is planned?  I was always told that lots are harder to develop then vacant buildings.

This would be a good spot for one of those 3 level urban malls.

Ben
Human Relations

Postby Ben » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:55 pm

MTO wrote:So doe's this mean something is planned? .

Yeah, a parking lot...  The reason for the hurry is that part of the City's agreement with MECA is that they can't start work on ballpark and remove any spots from use until all of the new ones are available.  IE this needs to be paved before they can start excavation and any EPA remediation on the lots that will become the ballpark.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:42 pm

Photo Update, the Demo Begins:

@bradwphoto on Twitter

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:19 am

Just about gone:

Then, Once again another Omaha demolition uncovers a cool old brick building covered up by years of additions:

Gordon Fire:
@bradwphoto on Twitter

thenewguy
Planning Board

Postby thenewguy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:27 am

ugh.  Man, i hope they they get a garage or something built in the near future; surface parking sucks.
Go Cubs Go

Bobcat
Home Owners Association

Postby Bobcat » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:01 am

Last I heard, the City still has to close on the purchase of the adjoining properties before anything can happen.  I think Hauff's sporting goods is one of them and they are seeking a space for relocation before they can move.  It's hard to say how long it will be before anything other than surface parking will happen.  It would be nice if a development could start prior to the opening of the ballpark.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:13 pm

the1wags in a text message wrote:They are wreckballin building @ swanson site

Translation = they are working on taking down that last 5 story building now, The "Gordon" building.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

Finn
Parks & Recreation

Postby Finn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:09 am

Uh oh, somebody better tell Big E they plan on removing that brick wall with windows. There goes more historical significance! :;):

almighty_tuna
County Board

Postby almighty_tuna » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:34 am

Hey, it's Finn!

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:44 am

I drove by and snapped a few photos last night.  That building is not going to be around long, they bashed in 1 section in just a few hours yesterday.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

Big E
City Council

Postby Big E » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:03 am

Finn wrote:Uh oh, somebody better tell Big E they plan on removing that brick wall with windows. There goes more historical significance! :;):

Uh oh, someone better tell Finn to suck on it if that's all he can post every 6 months.   :;):
"The above statement was not intended to be factual."

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:58 pm

Photo Update 8/12/2008

@bradwphoto on Twitter

thenewguy
Planning Board

Postby thenewguy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:24 am

i think that for the hotel they may put up here would look good if it were similar to this building in Chicago (although scaled down), more so than a modern looking building.
I just wonder how much more expensive it would be to incorporate the details in the crown, spire, windows, etc, in this day and age.  It still just amazes me how being ornate and architecturally significant (down to the small details) was the norm way back when.  I was just down in Kansas City, and they've got a lot of old buildings still standing, and it reminded me of when i visited Chicago how amazing and common place those beautiful old buildings were.  Glass skyscrapers are clean looking, yes, but dang, you've got to love something historical...or historical looking.
Go Cubs Go

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:45 pm

"This building in Chicago"?  Haha.

thenewguy
Planning Board

Postby thenewguy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:58 pm

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:"This building in Chicago"?  Haha.

Haha, yeah, i couldn't remember if i had put up the picture for the Wrigley Building or Tribune building (which is what it is, for those who weren't sure :P) and after i went back and looked, the battery died and i didn't get to go change it.  I'm almost ashamed, being a cubs fan and Chicago fan [ads have played for the Tribune forever on WGN, and it was one of the first buildings i took pictures of when we went there] and not putting that up to begin with :)
Go Cubs Go

ricko
Human Relations

Postby ricko » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:58 am

The Tribune Tower is my all-time favorite high rise.  It's the only skyscraper I know with gothic flying buttresses.  Sadly, there are very few master stone-cutters left in the U.S., so I doubt that we'll see any more high rises with that kind of detail.  I'm just glad I'm old enough to remember the old Woodman building (replaced by that soul-less glass box), the Medical Arts Building, the Fontenell Hotel, the old City Hall and Post Office buildings, and Jobber's Canyon, among others.

Big E
City Council

Postby Big E » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:52 am

ricko wrote:I'm just glad I'm old enough to remember the old Woodman building (replaced by that soul-less glass box), the Medical Arts Building, the Fontenell Hotel, the old City Hall and Post Office buildings, and Jobber's Canyon, among others.

Careful with the public display of nostalgia.  Everything around here as old as you gets turned into a parking lot. :;):
"The above statement was not intended to be factual."

thenewguy
Planning Board

Postby thenewguy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:33 am

yeah, many of the more conservative people aren't fans of "PDN".
Go Cubs Go

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation

Postby NovakOmaha » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:59 pm

Big E wrote:
ricko wrote:I'm just glad I'm old enough to remember the old Woodman building (replaced by that soul-less glass box), the Medical Arts Building, the Fontenell Hotel, the old City Hall and Post Office buildings, and Jobber's Canyon, among others.

Careful with the public display of nostalgia.  Everything around here as old as you gets turned into a parking lot. :;):

I liked the Omaha Theater and the Rialto.  I always thought that the Omaha could have been saved and the parking garage that was built in its place could have gone around it or incorporated it into the garage somehow.  Both the Omaha and the Rialto were downtown.  In the end you can't save every 1 screen theater downtown, I guess.

SaOmaha
Library Board

Postby SaOmaha » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:04 pm

I agree with you in a way,  I would like to see some historical buildings saved.  At less the Top of
the Medical Arts Building is on display in the First National Center (tower) winter garden.

It would be nice if any motel built on the Pinnacle / Swanson Site has some historical reference in it.

-- -- -------------------
Here is demolition update:

View of Qwest Center Omaha Arena from 11th & Capital

View from the Plaza on top of the Qwest Center Omaha Arena parking garage.

Just east of Plaza S.W. Corner.

View from Top of Steps leading from 10th street to the Qwest Center Omaha Parking garage Plaza

Zoom in

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:14 pm

They really need to remove that cement wall along 10th street.  I am sure they will towards the end of demolition.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:14 am

Glad to see the construction site of Omaha's premier parking lot progressing.

the1wags
County Board

Postby the1wags » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:37 am

Yeah it's a waste for now. The bright side is that they have to build a convention hotel there within what, 11 years? I know that seems like a long time but I'm thinking it will happen before then.

Return to “Urban Omaha Development”