Pinnacle / Swanson Site (10th and Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

Out of the 3 proposals on Page 15, Which one is your favorite

Proposal 1: Shamrock
77%
Proposal 2: Buckingham
9%
Proposal 3: Nexus
14%

Total votes: 22

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:48 pm

Without the Pinnacle building, you get a good shot of the Qwest Center:

Looking North West:
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:35 am

More parking on the way for north downtown

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10596134

CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The City of Omaha has paid $4.4 million for the final pieces of property planned for Qwest Center Omaha parking and, eventually, a full-service hotel.

Hauff Sporting Goods and Ferguson Enterprises, the businesses occupying the two buildings on the properties, plan to move by June 1 so that the city can begin demolition and construct parking lots, which were part of the negotiations to build the north downtown ballpark.

The Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority, which runs the Qwest Center and will run the downtown ballpark, required that the city build replacement parking on the former Pinnacle Foods site at 10th Street and Capitol Avenue before MECA allowed Qwest Center parking lots to be used for the stadium.

City Planning Director Steve Jensen said the acquisition of the Hauff and Ferguson buildings west of the Pinnacle site, as well as a vacant lot used by Ferguson north of the buildings, is the second part of that agreement.

CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The city and MECA also have an agreement that MECA will develop the combined Hauff-Ferguson-Pinnacle site as a hotel by 2019. If that doesn't happen, the city will take over the site's development, Jensen said.

The acquisition of the final properties not only provides parking in the short term but also moves the city closer to its long-term goal of a hotel, he said.

CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The city needed to acquire three properties to create that unified parcel:

• 1120 Capitol Ave., the Hauff-owned building at the northeast corner of Capitol and 12th Street.

• 215 N. 12th St., a building owned by Frank Tierney and leased by Ferguson, situated north of Hauff.

• 1102 Davenport St., a vacant lot owned and used by Ferguson for outdoor storage, situated north of the Ferguson business.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

the1wags
County Board

Postby the1wags » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:26 am

Well in the short term, surface parking sucks. But long term, it's good they will have the whole site to market for development.

windsor
Human Relations

Postby windsor » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:39 am

Its great they set a date for the development.  I just wish the date was not a decade away.
where the corn meets the concrete

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:39 am

True. I don't think it will take until 2019 to get developed though. It's a very primo site.

windsor
Human Relations

Postby windsor » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:43 am

Yes, very primo.  However you know how MECA likes their parking.

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:48 am

I think this is actually the one lot MECA wants to see turn into something since they need another hotel.

Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

Poll needed

Postby Vince Furlong » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:58 am

Polls tend to be quite skewed on this site, but if a scientific poll was taken of the Omaha metro, how do you
think they would respond to-

What is the best use for this land?

1. Green space with skateboard park
2. Hotel
3. Housing only
4. Mixed-use development - retail and housing
5. Parking
6. Target store
7. Wal-Mart store

My bet is on........

Vince

windsor
Human Relations

Postby windsor » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:02 am

I think they could combine 2,4,5, and 6 plus more all in to one project.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:50 am

If I didn't know any better, I'd say MECA is more concerned with their precious parking than they are with being able to attract major national conventions. Something about this seems SO crooked.

They have until 2019 to develop a |expletive| hotel? They should be putting out RFPs RIGHT NOW, concurrently with the parking lot construction. What's the hold up?

Plus, I think the city got raped on this deal. Wasn't the original plan to have the city take control of the property so that THEY could pick the right development that most suited Downtown and North Downtown's needs? Something mixed use and dense, providing diverse housing, retail, offices, hotel space, etc.

Now it's going to be a surface parking lot, possibly for another DECADE, before we get another |expletive|, squatty Hilton, with no other uses.

Yeah, this is not the right path.

GetUrban
Parks & Recreation

Postby GetUrban » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:49 pm

I agree...the 10-year time line is way too generous and non-aggressive. The new Hotel/mixed use development should coincide with the start of the CWS downtown, or shortly thereafter.  I don't think MECA even needs to remain involved once the parking lots are gone and developed into something we need.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

thenewguy
Planning Board

Postby thenewguy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:57 pm

[quote="StreetsOfOmaha"]
They have until 2019 to develop a |expletive| hotel? They should be putting out RFPs RIGHT NOW, concurrently with the parking lot construction. What's the hold up?
quote]

You know how you have those times where you just feel like doing nothing?  Like, you've put in a string of tough days, and just wanna slow down to relax and catch your breath?  

Well that's what MECA's doing.  Only theirs isn't a day...it's years. :;):
Go Cubs Go

windsor
Human Relations

Postby windsor » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:49 pm

Now is the time to build if you have money, but may be they will sit on it until the economy gets turned around.  It also might be smart if they wait until Cumming is fixed and the ballpark is done to allow better access to the north side before the start construction on the south side.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Mon May 25, 2009 2:48 pm

Hauff: Sporting goods firm to open at new spot

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10640592

CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Hauff Sporting Goods plans to open next Monday in its new location, one block north of 102nd and L Streets, said Dave Aden, the company's vice president and treasurer.

The business has been at its current location, northeast of 12th Street and Capitol Avenue, since 1977 and downtown for 70 years. It is moving so that the city can demolish the building and construct Qwest Center Omaha parking lots that were part of the negotiations to build the north downtown ballpark

CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Don Hobscheidt, general manager of all three Omaha-area Ferguson's locations, said the plumbing wholesaler plans to move the downtown location later this summer to 2215 Leavenworth St.

CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Chris Wayne, a city planner, said the city plans to demolish the Hauff and Ferguson buildings in July and complete the new parking lots by November or December. The stadium is scheduled to be completed in April 2011.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Re: Poll needed

Postby Hawkeye » Tue May 26, 2009 10:10 am

Vince Furlong wrote:Polls tend to be quite skewed on this site, but if a scientific poll was taken of the Omaha metro, how do you

2. Hotel
3. Housing only
5. Parking
6. Target store
7. Wal-Mart store

My bet is on........

Vince

If that was the poll, and it was issued on the World Herald Website....#5 would win in an absolute landslide.  You know it, Hawkeye knows it, Bob Dole knows it, and the American people know it.

thenewguy
Planning Board

Re: Poll needed

Postby thenewguy » Tue May 26, 2009 11:36 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Vince Furlong wrote:Polls tend to be quite skewed on this site, but if a scientific poll was taken of the Omaha metro, how do you

2. Hotel
3. Housing only
5. Parking
6. Target store
7. Wal-Mart store

My bet is on........

Vince

If that was the poll, and it was issued on the World Herald Website....#5 would win in an absolute landslide.  You know it, Hawkeye knows it, Bob Dole knows it, and the American people know it.

"If something happened along the route and you had to leave your children with Bob Dole or Bill Clinton, I think you would probably leave them with Bob Dole.
Go Cubs Go

windsor
Human Relations

Postby windsor » Tue May 26, 2009 1:58 pm

Brad wrote:Hauff: Sporting goods firm to open at new spot

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10640592

CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Hauff Sporting Goods plans to open next Monday in its new location, one block north of 102nd and L Streets, said Dave Aden, the company's vice president and treasurer.

The business has been at its current location, northeast of 12th Street and Capitol Avenue, since 1977 and downtown for 70 years. It is moving so that the city can demolish the building and construct Qwest Center Omaha parking lots that were part of the negotiations to build the north downtown ballpark

CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Don Hobscheidt, general manager of all three Omaha-area Ferguson's locations, said the plumbing wholesaler plans to move the downtown location later this summer to 2215 Leavenworth St.

CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Chris Wayne, a city planner, said the city plans to demolish the Hauff and Ferguson buildings in July and complete the new parking lots by November or December. The stadium is scheduled to be completed in April 2011.

That seems like a long time line for such a small project.

Big E
City Council

Postby Big E » Tue May 26, 2009 2:17 pm

Thank goodness.

Seems like it has been literally months since we've torn down a building to make a parking lot in the middle of downtown.
"The above statement was not intended to be factual."

windsor
Human Relations

Postby windsor » Tue May 26, 2009 2:44 pm

Not exactly what I meant, but at least it will be something cool sometime in the next decade.

Admin
Law Enforcement

Postby Admin » Tue May 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Yes. Please! The Pinnacle site...

Harpoon
Human Relations

Postby Harpoon » Wed May 27, 2009 12:51 am

That video that I referred to in the Downtown Plan post has a sketch on what is proposed at the Pinnacle site. Better than parking, that's for sure.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:12 am

Hauff is coming down:
@bradwphoto on Twitter

Erik
Parks & Recreation

Postby Erik » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:57 pm

Big E wrote:Thank goodness.

Seems like it has been literally months since we've torn down a building to make a parking lot in the middle of downtown.

Nice  :lol:

windsor
Human Relations

Postby windsor » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:18 pm

Brad wrote:Hauff is coming down:

Looks like they had similar concrete columns to a lot of the buildings in downtown.  They must have added a new front in the 60's or 70's

S33
County Board

Postby S33 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:30 am

I really hope some new projects are announced sometime soon. Is it just me or is there only so much you can talk about with the same projects? It just seems very redundant is all.

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Postby ShawJ » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:46 am

S33 wrote:I really hope some new projects are announced sometime soon. Is it just me or is there only so much you can talk about with the same projects? It just seems very redundant is all.

I think we were all a bit spoiled with Aksarben Village, WST, MTC, 80 Dodge, etc showing up. The downtown stadium and street cars were also popping up.

I'd be nice to have some new projects announced, but I think we're going to have to wait a bit longer.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:54 am

Just timing, I think the other one has a month or so left.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Postby cdub » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:35 pm

I think they have about a week left actually, unless they have grovelled for more time.  They are moving to somewhere near 20th and Leavenworth.

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:32 pm

It is good to know that something is planned.  I'm not sure why such a long time line has been chosen but not much we can do to help.  
A hotel is a great idea, but lets keep it quite tall of course and that urban mall idea is a must.  Omaha has nothing like it and it would be a wonderful shopping destination for those visitors and residents to spend money at.

the1wags
County Board

Postby the1wags » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:18 pm

They have the pipe place all blocked off and are removing the parking lot/storage area to the north of the building.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:45 pm

The entire block is leveled now.  I shot a photo last night but ran out of time to post it.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Postby ShawJ » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:51 pm

windsor
Human Relations

Postby windsor » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:52 pm

Thanks for the photos.  With everything gone its even easier to imagine a mixed used high rise there.

Blade1655
New to the Neighborhood

Postby Blade1655 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:44 pm

So how many square blocks of whatever is considered "downtown" these days lay completely undeveloped?

thenewguy
Planning Board

Postby thenewguy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:00 pm

Blade1655 wrote:So how many square blocks of whatever is considered "downtown" these days lay completely undeveloped?

By undeveloped, do you mean nothing or parking lots?  If it's the latter, then a lot...
Go Cubs Go

GetUrban
Parks & Recreation

Postby GetUrban » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:29 pm

Blade1655 wrote:So how many square blocks of whatever is considered "downtown" these days lay completely undeveloped?

This portion of the Master Plan Draft will give you an idea.... see page 17

http://co.douglas.ne.us/omaha/planning/downtownmp/images/stories/pdfs/2%20Chapters%201-4.pdf
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Thu May 27, 2010 7:10 pm

I thought for sure something would have been here by the time the first CWS rolled around but here we are. Hopefully what was once dubbed "the hub" of a new DTO will get a new look or old plans can get rolling again.

New convention hotel

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:57 pm

The city sent out a RFP for Century Link Center parking lots E, G, and H last week.  They are looking for hotel proposals.  Heard several developers, national and local are interested.

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: New convention hotel

Postby iamjacobm » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:10 pm

Anonymous wrote:The city sent out a RFP for Century Link Center parking lots E, G, and H last week.  They are looking for hotel proposals.  Heard several developers, national and local are interested.

OmahaJaysCU
Parks & Recreation

Postby OmahaJaysCU » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:24 pm

Return to “Urban Omaha Development”