Dundee Theater

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Dundee Theater

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:From the World Herald:
RH Land Management Co., which is affiliated with Susie Buffett’s Sherwood Foundation, closed last week on its purchase of the Dundee Theater and surrounding properties.
The price tag? About $4 million, according to Douglas County property records.
The sale included the Dundee Theater and adjacent property, including the buildings that house Duggers Cafe and the Voila Blooms in Dundee flower shop.
Dugger's Cafe will be closing after New Years.
Wouldn't shock me if they end up tearing that building down for more parking eventually.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

iamjacobm wrote:
Coyote wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:From the World Herald:
RH Land Management Co., which is affiliated with Susie Buffett’s Sherwood Foundation, closed last week on its purchase of the Dundee Theater and surrounding properties.
The price tag? About $4 million, according to Douglas County property records.
The sale included the Dundee Theater and adjacent property, including the buildings that house Duggers Cafe and the Voila Blooms in Dundee flower shop.
Dugger's Cafe will be closing after New Years.
Wouldn't shock me if they end up tearing that building down for more parking eventually.
My understanding, from a pretty reliable source, is the building will be demolished..for a parking lot for Dundee Theater..

It's too bad another local Omaha café, Dugger's, who has been solidly in business for years, will fall by the waste side. The owner of Dugger's is a 78 year old lady and I highly doubt she will relocate and reopen elsewhere...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
aaaron
New to the Neighborhood

Post by aaaron »

It sounds like a combination of the owner's son dying of cancer, and the loss of business during the theater renovation. I wonder if they explored selling?

http://www.omaha.com/go/dugger-s-cafe-n ... 544c7.html
The breakfast/lunch cafe at 4950 Dodge St. was owned and operated by Jeanette Dugger-Laitner and her son, Randy Dugger, along with his wife, Rhonda. Randy died from cancer in May, and his mother has run the restaurant since.

“The last six months have been really tough,” Dugger-Laitner said, noting that business dipped during construction on the nearby theater. “We thank you for the business we’ve had the last three years.”

There are no plans to open another restaurant in the Dugger family, Dugger-Laitner said.
Dugger's will be missed. We also really like having Dark Horse Salon in walking distance, so it would be sad for us if they have to move.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Demolition is set for these apartments:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (165.31 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That’s too bad. Is it for a Dundee Theater project or something else?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They own both of those apartments and everything west of there,
I would not be surprise to see everything there demolished.
bones
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bones »

Coyote wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:41 am They own both of those apartments and everything west of there,
I would not be surprise to see everything there demolished.
Hopefully it is for something more than just parking
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I lived in that apartment building a few years ago. They were wonderful.

They're destroying the built infrastructure that made the area great. If I would've known they would tear down 3 great apartment buildings I would have much rather had the theater be torn down than bought by Susan Buffet.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Based on some previous listings for that building, their rents are actually pretty affordable. I am guessing a large lot filling apartment building with much higher rents, but ground level retail/office.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Susie Buffet and her charity work is literally and figuratively a wrecking ball destroying anything and anyone who is in the way of her "Good Works". I know several struggling people who have had their businesses destroyed by her charity.

Warren Buffet has funneled over a billion dollars tax free into each of his kids charity slush funds. He talks about his kids not inheriting his wealth but they did inherit their mothers wealth already. He has funded their "charities" that they can use to cover any conceivable expense as part of their "charity work".
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Omaha arts organizations and steamrolling history, name a more iconic duo...
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

ita wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:52 am Based on some previous listings for that building, their rents are actually pretty affordable. I am guessing a large lot filling apartment building with much higher rents, but ground level retail/office.
Yeah, the rents were silly low for the quality. Pictures from 5 yrs ago:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Those do look like nice apts with some character as well.
student
New to the Neighborhood

Post by student »

I was told the demolition permit was for the garages behind the apartment buildings and not the actual buildings themselves. Also, the old Duggers cafe building is being torn down for more parking.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

student wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:25 pm I was told the demolition permit was for the garages behind the apartment buildings and not the actual buildings themselves. Also, the old Duggers cafe building is being torn down for more parking.
Are the garages being torn down for surface parking, too?
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

They cut down the big ginko trees in the front as well, which seems unnecessary if they're just tearing down the garages.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Dundeemaha wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:57 am They cut down the big ginko trees in the front as well, which seems unnecessary if they're just tearing down the garages.
Shame..
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Wow I used to live right by these apartments. They are beautiful and the definition of good infill. This is terrible.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The renovation of the Dundee Theater (Filmstreams) was important, but not if it means destroying the character of the surrounding neighborhood to support it. I rather it stayed abandoned if this demolition is just for parking. I guess if you have a lot of money you can do whatever you want, however ill-advised, once the former owner sells.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

GetUrban wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:02 pm The renovation of the Dundee Theater (Filmstreams) was important, but not if it means destroying the character of the surrounding neighborhood to support it. I rather it stayed abandoned if this demolition is just for parking. I guess if you have a lot of money you can do whatever you want, however ill-advised, once the former owner sells.
As stated by a reliable source close to the situation, the apartments themselves are not being demolished, but a set of garages on the property. The management owner is intending to renovate the apartments. Both apartment buildings are contributing members in the Dundee/Happy Hollow Historic District.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

SaveOmaha wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:56 pm As stated by a reliable source close to the situation, the apartments themselves are not being demolished, but a set of garages on the property. The management owner is intending to renovate the apartments. Both apartment buildings are contributing members in the Dundee/Happy Hollow Historic District.
Who to believe, you or the forum moderator?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I only saw the address in the demolition list, it didn't say what was being torn down. Others have filled in the details. SaveOmaha is right.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

SaveOmaha wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:56 pm
GetUrban wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:02 pm The renovation of the Dundee Theater (Filmstreams) was important, but not if it means destroying the character of the surrounding neighborhood to support it. I rather it stayed abandoned if this demolition is just for parking. I guess if you have a lot of money you can do whatever you want, however ill-advised, once the former owner sells.
As stated by a reliable source close to the situation, the apartments themselves are not being demolished, but a set of garages on the property. The management owner is intending to renovate the apartments. Both apartment buildings are contributing members in the Dundee/Happy Hollow Historic District.
That's good news. Thanks for the insight. Are the garages just going to be surface parking?
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

Coyote wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:39 pm I only saw the address in the demolition list, it didn't say what was being torn down. Others have filled in the details. SaveOmaha is right.
Might want to edit your post then, it still shows the apartments as the target
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

ScrattyB wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:45 am
Coyote wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:39 pm I only saw the address in the demolition list, it didn't say what was being torn down. Others have filled in the details. SaveOmaha is right.
I mean as people keep reading they’ll see SaveOmaha’s contribution and realize that the sky is not falling
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.ketv.com/article/plans-subm ... t/27500165
According to Omaha's Planning Department, RH Land Management, which owns the property, submitted a plan to demolish the building and replace it with 54 parking spots. The plan did not meet city code, failing to include required green space and buffer areas. For that reason, the department recommended denial.

"It was a design choice so they could maximize the site," said David Fanslau, Planning Department director.
Because the plan did not meet city code, it went to the Zoning Board of Appeals. Despite concerns expressed in the meeting, the board approved waivers of code requirements.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

Garrett wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:51 pm
ScrattyB wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:45 am
I mean as people keep reading they’ll see SaveOmaha’s contribution and realize that the sky is not falling
But SaveOmaha didn't post until 3 days later. Emails were already sent, people were already made angry.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

4950 Dodge set for demolition.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (199.28 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Any thoughts on what this will be?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

How could 2 blocks of parking adjacent to an urban theater on the primary corridor with BRT coming be good land use? I'm shocked Susie is doing this to the area...
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

OmahaJaysCU wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:45 pm How could 2 blocks of parking adjacent to an urban theater on the primary corridor with BRT coming be good land use? I'm shocked Susie is doing this to the area...
Is that what this is going to be?
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

wouldn't shock me if they added on something small like another lounge area or another microtheater to keep the continuity of building along Dodge St. but made everything behind parking.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Per OWH this is officially a parking lot. Gross to see the Dundee Neighborhood association capitulate to wealth and the OWH not say a peep. So much for TOD and density along Dodge.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Taco wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:35 pm Per OWH this is officially a parking lot. Gross to see the Dundee Neighborhood association capitulate to wealth and the OWH not say a peep. So much for TOD and density along Dodge.
Don’t know about the association, but I think we know why OWH wouldn’t say anything. Not with the Buffet connection.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

At 49th and Dodge, owner is clearing former cafe and more to put up a parking lot

Peter Manhart of the Dundee Memorial Neighborhood Association said that while board members typically might cringe at seeing a building torn down, they also recognize that Dundee is growing and is a place many want to live and do business in. He was supportive of Susie Buffett's work and improvements in the neighborhood.
Reporter phone calls to Buffett's office were not returned.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

How is building a parking lot an example of creative destruction? You're just destroying a homes and businesses and creating traffic. How is that going to encourage development of the sort that's in the character of Dundee?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

daveoma wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:54 pm How is building a parking lot an example of creative destruction? You're just destroying a homes and businesses and creating traffic. How is that going to encourage development of the sort that's in the character of Dundee?
I think they're trying to create a warm fuzzy smokescreen by saying "its okay, its in the name of the creative arts community". Its a lie saying they care about the buildings, and that they have to be torn down to create the vibe they want. Lemme see, how many years has the neighborhood been fine before they came in and renovated the Dundee theater? They've been there an awfully short amount of time claim they have the best interest of the neighborhood. Not like everybody in Dundee is coming in droves to the theater, and this necessary parking lot is proof that the members of this niche community are coming from OUTSIDE Dundee.

For the record, I couldn't care less about 4950 Dodge, but the other buildings didn't need to go. The silver lining is this could still be developed into a worthwhile replacement some day, though, I won't be holding my breath on that.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Really disappointing. I guess it is true that this will probably end up being developed in the future, especially with ORBT, but I’m pretty anti-tearing down buildings unless you’re replacing it with something bigger and better.
#gohawks
PWL73316
Library Board

Post by PWL73316 »

The actual theater is extremely underwhelming IMO. If they think parking is the reason folks aren't going, I don't think that's it at all. Very pretentious place that sure wrings it out of you like any big chain if you want to simply go see a movie and have a soda and a popcorn. The movies they show outside of the microtheater almost always have one of the 20 other local theaters showing them, and I'd usually rather just go to the chain, to be honest. They aren't as quirky for the sake of being quirky, and have more options.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Disappointed to see whats going on here. Lends credence to the notion that the theater wasn't necessarily best to save. I didn't think this was why at the time though!