Dundee Theater

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2035
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:03 pm

Garrett wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
mr. omaha wrote:
Garrett wrote:Well, Walgreens can do some pretty kick |expletive| conversions. There's one here in Chicago built in an old bank. Beautifully restored.


If you're talking about the one in Bucktown/Wicker Park, that is the coolest Walgreens I have ever been in.


My apartment is about 50 yards form that Walgreens. I would be totally okay with a similar conversion to the Dundee Theatre. Instead of a "vitamin vault" like that Walgreens they could have a prescription projector room.

You live in Wicker Park? I thought better of you...


Well, technically my side of the street is Bucktown, but I've never gotten that reaction to Wicker Park. What's wrong with it (besides its unfortunate bro invasion)?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:24 pm

mr. omaha wrote:
2Adam29 wrote:While I'd applaud a refurbishment of the building I don't see that happening. The building is far too close to the street to not be seen as a huge liability for any future Tennant. I remember standing outside the place for Rocky horror picture show and nearly falling into dodge just standing there. I think we'll be lucky if we don't have a total repeat of the CVS a block away.



Since he owns that lot to the east and there is access to the parking to from the north, one could seal the doors to Dodge St. for safety and to maintain the aesthetics, eliminate the entrance to the parking lot from Dodge St., and then punch a hole through the east wall for a new lobby entrance. If one reconfigured the location of the parking stalls, one could even do a nice landscaped plaza-type area along the building. Just ideas for the future owner of this property...


Could even put a small addition on the east side so there could be room for a small bar. I can't imagine how much revenue they missed by people showing up to midnight movies wasted rather than doing it in the theater!

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby Garrett » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:51 pm

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Garrett wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
mr. omaha wrote:
Garrett wrote:Well, Walgreens can do some pretty kick |expletive| conversions. There's one here in Chicago built in an old bank. Beautifully restored.


If you're talking about the one in Bucktown/Wicker Park, that is the coolest Walgreens I have ever been in.


My apartment is about 50 yards form that Walgreens. I would be totally okay with a similar conversion to the Dundee Theatre. Instead of a "vitamin vault" like that Walgreens they could have a prescription projector room.

You live in Wicker Park? I thought better of you...


Well, technically my side of the street is Bucktown, but I've never gotten that reaction to Wicker Park. What's wrong with it (besides its unfortunate bro invasion)?

I mean I suppose you aren't AS bad being in Bucktown... :mrgreen:

Wicker park is just trying to be a hipster Lincoln Park while really just being a slightly less nauseating Wrigleyville. :;):
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7844
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby MTO » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:07 pm

Will not the Benson theater usurp the Dundee or were they planning screenings of other genres?
15-17, 26, 32

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:15 pm

MTO wrote:Will not the Benson theater usurp the Dundee or were they planning screenings of other genres?


That needs to happen first.

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3806
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby Linkin5 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:18 pm

MTO wrote:Will not the Benson theater usurp the Dundee or were they planning screenings of other genres?


Benson theatre will be live theatre.

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2035
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:49 pm

Garrett wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Garrett wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
mr. omaha wrote:
Garrett wrote:Well, Walgreens can do some pretty kick |expletive| conversions. There's one here in Chicago built in an old bank. Beautifully restored.


If you're talking about the one in Bucktown/Wicker Park, that is the coolest Walgreens I have ever been in.


My apartment is about 50 yards form that Walgreens. I would be totally okay with a similar conversion to the Dundee Theatre. Instead of a "vitamin vault" like that Walgreens they could have a prescription projector room.

You live in Wicker Park? I thought better of you...


Well, technically my side of the street is Bucktown, but I've never gotten that reaction to Wicker Park. What's wrong with it (besides its unfortunate bro invasion)?

I mean I suppose you aren't AS bad being in Bucktown... :mrgreen:

Wicker park is just trying to be a hipster Lincoln Park while really just being a slightly less nauseating Wrigleyville. :;):


Ha! Wicker Park was a legit hipster enclave in the '80s and '90s, before anyone knew what hipsters were, and largely still is. But like all things hipster, it's gentrifying and becoming mainstream. When Real World filmed here in the early 2000s, I think it was the only time the show was ever protested due to fear that wide exposure to the neighborhood would lead to accelerated gentrification. Lately the bros of Lakeview have been getting priced out and are migrating this way. Bucktown's wealth seems to be subtly and effectively creeping in as well, The hipsters of Wicker Park have fought the invasion hard and sometimes violently, but are slowly losing the battle and moving on to places like Logan Square and Bridgeport...or Pilsen if they're really hardcore.

Here's a good article about the turnover: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150807/wicker-park/has-hipster-friendly-stretch-of-division-reached-bro-bar-tipping-point.

Slightly less nauseating Wrigleyville?! That title belongs to Viagra Triangle. We clean up in the morning with our impeccable brunch spots.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby Garrett » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:15 am

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Garrett wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Garrett wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
mr. omaha wrote:
Garrett wrote:Well, Walgreens can do some pretty kick |expletive| conversions. There's one here in Chicago built in an old bank. Beautifully restored.


If you're talking about the one in Bucktown/Wicker Park, that is the coolest Walgreens I have ever been in.


My apartment is about 50 yards form that Walgreens. I would be totally okay with a similar conversion to the Dundee Theatre. Instead of a "vitamin vault" like that Walgreens they could have a prescription projector room.

You live in Wicker Park? I thought better of you...


Well, technically my side of the street is Bucktown, but I've never gotten that reaction to Wicker Park. What's wrong with it (besides its unfortunate bro invasion)?

I mean I suppose you aren't AS bad being in Bucktown... :mrgreen:

Wicker park is just trying to be a hipster Lincoln Park while really just being a slightly less nauseating Wrigleyville. :;):


Ha! Wicker Park was a legit hipster enclave in the '80s and '90s, before anyone knew what hipsters were, and largely still is. But like all things hipster, it's gentrifying and becoming mainstream. When Real World filmed here in the early 2000s, I think it was the only time the show was ever protested due to fear that wide exposure to the neighborhood would lead to accelerated gentrification. Lately the bros of Lakeview have been getting priced out and are migrating this way. Bucktown's wealth seems to be subtly and effectively creeping in as well, The hipsters of Wicker Park have fought the invasion hard and sometimes violently, but are slowly losing the battle and moving on to places like Logan Square and Bridgeport...or Pilsen if they're really hardcore.

Here's a good article about the turnover: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150807/wicker-park/has-hipster-friendly-stretch-of-division-reached-bro-bar-tipping-point.

Slightly less nauseating Wrigleyville?! That title belongs to Viagra Triangle. We clean up in the morning with our impeccable brunch spots.


The bros ruin everything in time. Boystown is slowly turning that way, which is why Mandersonville is more a thing now than ever. Uptown is also becoming the new "it" neighborhood. heck, I just moved from Lincoln Park. Talk about a change of scenery there haha.

As for the moving of the hipsters, you're dead on about Pilsen. I did extensive work with the Pilsen Alliance a year ago studying the neighborhood, and boy, is it on the verge. A little bit of irony, considering that people getting priced out of Wicker are now moving and pricing people out of Pilsen. The cycle certainly continues, eh? And yeah, Wicker does clean up with the brunch spots.... so does Lincoln Park. I'm sure Chad and Trixie just LOOOOVE their new brunch stop in Wicker though. :;):
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2035
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:07 pm

Garrett wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Garrett wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Garrett wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
mr. omaha wrote:
Garrett wrote:Well, Walgreens can do some pretty kick |expletive| conversions. There's one here in Chicago built in an old bank. Beautifully restored.


If you're talking about the one in Bucktown/Wicker Park, that is the coolest Walgreens I have ever been in.


My apartment is about 50 yards form that Walgreens. I would be totally okay with a similar conversion to the Dundee Theatre. Instead of a "vitamin vault" like that Walgreens they could have a prescription projector room.

You live in Wicker Park? I thought better of you...


Well, technically my side of the street is Bucktown, but I've never gotten that reaction to Wicker Park. What's wrong with it (besides its unfortunate bro invasion)?

I mean I suppose you aren't AS bad being in Bucktown... :mrgreen:

Wicker park is just trying to be a hipster Lincoln Park while really just being a slightly less nauseating Wrigleyville. :;):


Ha! Wicker Park was a legit hipster enclave in the '80s and '90s, before anyone knew what hipsters were, and largely still is. But like all things hipster, it's gentrifying and becoming mainstream. When Real World filmed here in the early 2000s, I think it was the only time the show was ever protested due to fear that wide exposure to the neighborhood would lead to accelerated gentrification. Lately the bros of Lakeview have been getting priced out and are migrating this way. Bucktown's wealth seems to be subtly and effectively creeping in as well, The hipsters of Wicker Park have fought the invasion hard and sometimes violently, but are slowly losing the battle and moving on to places like Logan Square and Bridgeport...or Pilsen if they're really hardcore.

Here's a good article about the turnover: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150807/wicker-park/has-hipster-friendly-stretch-of-division-reached-bro-bar-tipping-point.

Slightly less nauseating Wrigleyville?! That title belongs to Viagra Triangle. We clean up in the morning with our impeccable brunch spots.


The bros ruin everything in time. Boystown is slowly turning that way, which is why Mandersonville is more a thing now than ever. Uptown is also becoming the new "it" neighborhood. heck, I just moved from Lincoln Park. Talk about a change of scenery there haha.

As for the moving of the hipsters, you're dead on about Pilsen. I did extensive work with the Pilsen Alliance a year ago studying the neighborhood, and boy, is it on the verge. A little bit of irony, considering that people getting priced out of Wicker are now moving and pricing people out of Pilsen. The cycle certainly continues, eh? And yeah, Wicker does clean up with the brunch spots.... so does Lincoln Park. I'm sure Chad and Trixie just LOOOOVE their new brunch stop in Wicker though. :;):


The cycle certainly does continue. I've determined that goes like this: Blue collar/immigrant whites are replaced by African-Americans, who are replaced by Hispanics, who are priced out by white hipsters, who are priced out by yuppies and bros.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7844
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby MTO » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Linkin5 wrote:
MTO wrote:Will not the Benson theater usurp the Dundee or were they planning screenings of other genres?


Benson theatre will be live theatre.


My bad, I thought Benson was going to do both.
15-17, 26, 32

omahahawk
Human Relations
Posts: 866
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:16 pm

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby omahahawk » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:46 am

Anyone remember back in the early 90s when Otis 12 (DJ with Z-92, prior to Todd and Tyler) started this great campaign to save the theater? I really think it probably helped at the time and would love to see the media kind of pick up the cause again. What I think would be especially cool is UNO could go in on this either directly or via joint partnership and run it through their College of Fine Arts perhaps.

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7844
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby MTO » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:39 am

Or a consortium of local groups from historic to art to community. Omaha is a power house when it come to philanthropy and given the significance I bet there's plenty of people willing to help.
15-17, 26, 32

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby iamjacobm » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:59 am

Really this is owner fatigue more than that the money isn't there imo at least. If a motivated person really wanted to keep this open they could start a kickstarter and it would get a ton of support.

SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby SaveOmaha » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:46 am

The Dundee Theater and remaining buildings on the block were just purchased by Susie Buffett. I will consider the Dundee protected at this point! Can expect good things will happen.

Louie
Library Board
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Maplewood

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby Louie » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:34 am

SaveOmaha wrote:The Dundee Theater and remaining buildings on the block were just purchased by Susie Buffett. I will consider the Dundee protected at this point! Can expect good things will happen.

Very good to hear!

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20411
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby Coyote » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:33 am

SaveOmaha wrote:The Dundee Theater and remaining buildings on the block were just purchased by Susie Buffett. I will consider the Dundee protected at this point! Can expect good things will happen.


You have to love Omaha Philanthropy! Great news to hear this morning.
Image

omahahawk
Human Relations
Posts: 866
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:16 pm

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby omahahawk » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:59 am

SaveOmaha wrote:The Dundee Theater and remaining buildings on the block were just purchased by Susie Buffett. I will consider the Dundee protected at this point! Can expect good things will happen.


This is great news and couldn't agree more....nice things in the works. Thank you Susie.

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 5970
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby nebugeater » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:02 am

SaveOmaha wrote:The Dundee Theater and remaining buildings on the block were just purchased by Susie Buffett. I will consider the Dundee protected at this point! Can expect good things will happen.


4 days later the OWH catches up.


http://www.omaha.com/money/susie-buffet ... 8c8e6.html

The Dundee Theater — which remains shuttered after closing more than two years ago for a renovation — appears headed for another chapter under a new owner.
Sources close to the situation said Susie Buffett was pursuing the purchase of the property......................
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
jelizh
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:13 am

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby jelizh » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:17 am

Alexander Payne is also playing a role in this purchase and the project will likely be tied to Film Streams.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20411
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby Coyote » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:20 am

jelizh wrote:Alexander Payne is also playing a role in this purchase and the project will likely be tied to Film Streams.


That would be awesome if Film Stream got behind this...
Image

mattl181
Home Owners Association
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:28 pm

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby mattl181 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:22 am

jelizh wrote:Alexander Payne is also playing a role in this purchase and the project will likely be tied to Film Streams.


This is awesome, awesome news, if true!!

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby iamjacobm » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:45 pm

It would actually be nice for Film Streams to have a hand so these two can work together rather than compete for the limited run films. Whatever gets the reel rolling again I am for!

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7844
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby MTO » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:16 pm

I never got the impression they competed, it seamed they both had they're own thing going. But whatever happens they need to bring back the cult classics ASAP!
15-17, 26, 32

omahahawk
Human Relations
Posts: 866
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:16 pm

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby omahahawk » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:30 pm

S. Buffett + A. Payne x Filmstreams = resurgence of Dundee Theater

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby bigredmed » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:53 pm

omahahawk wrote:S. Buffett + A. Payne x Filmstreams = resurgence of Dundee Theater

Hope so. I also hope that we don't get the Filmstreams arthouse schedule. Nothing more boring than a bunch of filmbuffs scheduling a month of movies 7 people who aren't related to the director want to see and then listening to these filmbuffs |expletive| about how backward Omaha is when only those 7 show up.

ricko
Human Relations
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby ricko » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:31 am

bigredmed wrote:
omahahawk wrote:S. Buffett + A. Payne x Filmstreams = resurgence of Dundee Theater

Hope so. I also hope that we don't get the Filmstreams arthouse schedule. Nothing more boring than a bunch of filmbuffs scheduling a month of movies 7 people who aren't related to the director want to see and then listening to these filmbuffs |expletive| about how backward Omaha is when only those 7 show up.


I'm a member of Filmstreams. The organization seems to be doing quite well without the likes of you. No one really cares what you think about Filmstreams. Just don't go. There are plenty of theaters in West O to keep you amused.

Busguy2010
Library Board
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby Busguy2010 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:05 am

ricko wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
omahahawk wrote:S. Buffett + A. Payne x Filmstreams = resurgence of Dundee Theater

Hope so. I also hope that we don't get the Filmstreams arthouse schedule. Nothing more boring than a bunch of filmbuffs scheduling a month of movies 7 people who aren't related to the director want to see and then listening to these filmbuffs |expletive| about how backward Omaha is when only those 7 show up.


I'm a member of Filmstreams. The organization seems to be doing quite well without the likes of you. No one really cares what you think about Filmstreams. Just don't go. There are plenty of theaters in West O to keep you amused.


Whoa dude!

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby bigredmed » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:32 am

ricko wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
omahahawk wrote:S. Buffett + A. Payne x Filmstreams = resurgence of Dundee Theater

Hope so. I also hope that we don't get the Filmstreams arthouse schedule. Nothing more boring than a bunch of filmbuffs scheduling a month of movies 7 people who aren't related to the director want to see and then listening to these filmbuffs |expletive| about how backward Omaha is when only those 7 show up.


I'm a member of Filmstreams. The organization seems to be doing quite well without the likes of you. No one really cares what you think about Filmstreams. Just don't go. There are plenty of theaters in West O to keep you amused.


I am a member as well. That is why I am frustrated by a group of people who think narrowcasting scheduled films is the way to go. We should expand the audience for artistic films not just keep them confined to the mindless followers who feel that dull and overly earnest movies are somehow better because the 7 of you are the only ones that "get" them.

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby bigredmed » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:34 am

Busguy2010 wrote:
ricko wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
omahahawk wrote:S. Buffett + A. Payne x Filmstreams = resurgence of Dundee Theater

Hope so. I also hope that we don't get the Filmstreams arthouse schedule. Nothing more boring than a bunch of filmbuffs scheduling a month of movies 7 people who aren't related to the director want to see and then listening to these filmbuffs |expletive| about how backward Omaha is when only those 7 show up.


I'm a member of Filmstreams. The organization seems to be doing quite well without the likes of you. No one really cares what you think about Filmstreams. Just don't go. There are plenty of theaters in West O to keep you amused.


Whoa dude!


Must have struck a nerve with him. Maybe only 6 showed up for his pick?

ricko
Human Relations
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby ricko » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:40 am

It must be painful for you to belong to an organization that you dislike so much.

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby bigredmed » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:24 am

ricko wrote:It must be painful for you to belong to an organization that you dislike so much.

No, I just joined for the discount tickets. I am cool with what I get for my money. I just don't want the Dundee to be a one screen theater that has so few general appeal movies that non-auteurs will find no reason to go there. After all, what is the difference between what is is now and what it would become if it went that way? No one uses it now and no one will use it then. From your perch at one of the seldom used seats, folks like you will condescendingly look down on those of us who see movies as entertainment as we go to theaters that show artistic films that aim to entertain more than the 1%.

ricko
Human Relations
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby ricko » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:43 am

bigredmed wrote:
ricko wrote:It must be painful for you to belong to an organization that you dislike so much.

No, I just joined for the discount tickets. I am cool with what I get for my money. I just don't want the Dundee to be a one screen theater that has so few general appeal movies that non-auteurs will find no reason to go there. After all, what is the difference between what is is now and what it would become if it went that way? No one uses it now and no one will use it then. From your perch at one of the seldom used seats, folks like you will condescendingly look down on those of us who see movies as entertainment as we go to theaters that show artistic films that aim to entertain more than the 1%.


I went to the Dundee quite a bit when it was the only indie theater in town. It's ONE theater, dude. Why should you care? Would you drive all the way from West O to the Dundee to see Star Wars anyway?The place would probably be torn down without the intervention of Payne and Susan Buffett. I think they're doing a good thing, and all you can do is post snarky remarks about what you think other people are thinking and doing (kinda' like my crazy Uncle Fred). I'm sure you're aware of the organization's mission statement (aren't you?)---you might want to go back and read it again. Not every movie has to 'pack 'em in'. Is the Joslyn Museum not worthwhile because only a few people a day take advantage of it? To go around criticizing what other people value is just strange. BTW, for all of your griping about other peoples' 'condescending attitudes', ironically, I find most of your posts full of them.

Professor Woland
Library Board
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby Professor Woland » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:04 am

ricko wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
ricko wrote:It must be painful for you to belong to an organization that you dislike so much.

No, I just joined for the discount tickets. I am cool with what I get for my money. I just don't want the Dundee to be a one screen theater that has so few general appeal movies that non-auteurs will find no reason to go there. After all, what is the difference between what is is now and what it would become if it went that way? No one uses it now and no one will use it then. From your perch at one of the seldom used seats, folks like you will condescendingly look down on those of us who see movies as entertainment as we go to theaters that show artistic films that aim to entertain more than the 1%.


I went to the Dundee quite a bit when it was the only indie theater in town. It's ONE theater, dude. Why should you care? Would you drive all the way from West O to the Dundee to see Star Wars anyway?The place would probably be torn down without the intervention of Payne and Susan Buffett. I think they're doing a good thing, and all you can do is post snarky remarks about what you think other people are thinking and doing (kinda' like my crazy Uncle Fred). I'm sure you're aware of the organization's mission statement (aren't you?)---you might want to go back and read it again. Not every movie has to 'pack 'em in'. Is the Joslyn Museum not worthwhile because only a few people a day take advantage of it? To go around criticizing what other people value is just strange.


I probably shouldn't get involved here, especially on bigredmed's behalf since he once called me "annoying", but I think what a lot of people want from the Dundee is for it to be what it was before. It showed stuff that wouldn't necessarily be in the multiplexes (The Red Riding Trilogy, Never Let Me Go, My Dog Tulip, Shame) that weren't the type of art house movies typically shown at Film Streams. They also did midnight showings of The Room, Rocky Horror, etc. It was a nice mix of good movies and goofball fun. That's the appropriate niche for it to fill. Bergman retrospectives are great, and Film Streams does a great job with those sorts of things, but there's a place for what the Dundee was.

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby bigredmed » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:52 am

Professor Woland wrote:
ricko wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
ricko wrote:It must be painful for you to belong to an organization that you dislike so much.

No, I just joined for the discount tickets. I am cool with what I get for my money. I just don't want the Dundee to be a one screen theater that has so few general appeal movies that non-auteurs will find no reason to go there. After all, what is the difference between what is is now and what it would become if it went that way? No one uses it now and no one will use it then. From your perch at one of the seldom used seats, folks like you will condescendingly look down on those of us who see movies as entertainment as we go to theaters that show artistic films that aim to entertain more than the 1%.


I went to the Dundee quite a bit when it was the only indie theater in town. It's ONE theater, dude. Why should you care? Would you drive all the way from West O to the Dundee to see Star Wars anyway?The place would probably be torn down without the intervention of Payne and Susan Buffett. I think they're doing a good thing, and all you can do is post snarky remarks about what you think other people are thinking and doing (kinda' like my crazy Uncle Fred). I'm sure you're aware of the organization's mission statement (aren't you?)---you might want to go back and read it again. Not every movie has to 'pack 'em in'. Is the Joslyn Museum not worthwhile because only a few people a day take advantage of it? To go around criticizing what other people value is just strange.


I probably shouldn't get involved here, especially on bigredmed's behalf since he once called me "annoying", but I think what a lot of people want from the Dundee is for it to be what it was before. It showed stuff that wouldn't necessarily be in the multiplexes (The Red Riding Trilogy, Never Let Me Go, My Dog Tulip, Shame) that weren't the type of art house movies typically shown at Film Streams. They also did midnight showings of The Room, Rocky Horror, etc. It was a nice mix of good movies and goofball fun. That's the appropriate niche for it to fill. Bergman retrospectives are great, and Film Streams does a great job with those sorts of things, but there's a place for what the Dundee was.


Precisely.

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5124
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:54 am

Sounds like the sale to Susie Buffett is final.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20411
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby Coyote » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:49 am

skinzfan23 wrote:Sounds like the sale to Susie Buffett is final.


OWH also mentioned an institute, I don't remember which, that is part of the sale, anyone catch this?
Image

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20411
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby Coyote » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:15 am

'They'll return it to its grandeur': Group linked to Susie Buffett buys Dundee Theater

Micah Mertes - World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Dundee Theater has a new owner.RH Land Management Co., which is affiliated with Susie Buffett’s Sherwood Foundation, purchased the theater and the surrounding properties from Denny Moran.
Image

Joe_Sovereign
Library Board
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:57 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby Joe_Sovereign » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:55 am

ricko wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
omahahawk wrote:S. Buffett + A. Payne x Filmstreams = resurgence of Dundee Theater

Hope so. I also hope that we don't get the Filmstreams arthouse schedule. Nothing more boring than a bunch of filmbuffs scheduling a month of movies 7 people who aren't related to the director want to see and then listening to these filmbuffs |expletive| about how backward Omaha is when only those 7 show up.


I'm a member of Filmstreams. The organization seems to be doing quite well without the likes of you. No one really cares what you think about Filmstreams. Just don't go. There are plenty of theaters in West O to keep you amused.


This is why people hate people like you. Susie Buffett can use her Dad's money to "save" this theater for snobs like you who look down your nose at the unwashed masses. We don't give a |expletive| about you either.

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2746
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby RNcyanide » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:00 am

:gun: :hammer: :grr:
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

Louie
Library Board
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Maplewood

Re: Dundee Theater

Postby Louie » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:00 pm

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
ricko wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
omahahawk wrote:S. Buffett + A. Payne x Filmstreams = resurgence of Dundee Theater

Hope so. I also hope that we don't get the Filmstreams arthouse schedule. Nothing more boring than a bunch of filmbuffs scheduling a month of movies 7 people who aren't related to the director want to see and then listening to these filmbuffs |expletive| about how backward Omaha is when only those 7 show up.


I'm a member of Filmstreams. The organization seems to be doing quite well without the likes of you. No one really cares what you think about Filmstreams. Just don't go. There are plenty of theaters in West O to keep you amused.


This is why people hate people like you. Susie Buffett can use her Dad's money to "save" this theater for snobs like you who look down your nose at the unwashed masses. We don't give a |expletive| about you either.

Would you prefer it stay unused? Not every theatre has to be the same.


Return to “Urban Omaha Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests