Dundee Theater

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ricko
Parks & Recreation

Re: Dundee Theater

Post by ricko »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
ricko wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
omahahawk wrote:S. Buffett + A. Payne x Filmstreams = resurgence of Dundee Theater
Hope so. I also hope that we don't get the Filmstreams arthouse schedule. Nothing more boring than a bunch of filmbuffs scheduling a month of movies 7 people who aren't related to the director want to see and then listening to these filmbuffs |expletive| about how backward Omaha is when only those 7 show up.
I'm a member of Filmstreams. The organization seems to be doing quite well without the likes of you. No one really cares what you think about Filmstreams. Just don't go. There are plenty of theaters in West O to keep you amused.
This is why people hate people like you. Susie Buffett can use her Dad's money to "save" this theater for snobs like you who look down your nose at the unwashed masses. We don't give a |expletive| about you either.
I don't know if you've heard the news, but the snob army is conspiring to take over Omaha. The Dundee Theater Liberation Army, the Orpheum Theater Crips, the Filmstreams Strike Force, The Blue Barn Militia, The Kaneko Samurai, and the Bemis Center Bombers are joining forces to vanquish the unwashed masses. Resistance is futile. Run for your lives!!
LittleItaly
New to the Neighborhood

Post by LittleItaly »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
ricko wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
omahahawk wrote:S. Buffett + A. Payne x Filmstreams = resurgence of Dundee Theater
Hope so. I also hope that we don't get the Filmstreams arthouse schedule. Nothing more boring than a bunch of filmbuffs scheduling a month of movies 7 people who aren't related to the director want to see and then listening to these filmbuffs |expletive| about how backward Omaha is when only those 7 show up.
I'm a member of Filmstreams. The organization seems to be doing quite well without the likes of you. No one really cares what you think about Filmstreams. Just don't go. There are plenty of theaters in West O to keep you amused.
This is why people hate people like you. Susie Buffett can use her Dad's money to "save" this theater for snobs like you who look down your nose at the unwashed masses. We don't give a |expletive| about you either.

Hahahahahah! This is hilarious to me. This guy is one of those guys that likes the |expletive| movies that come out every day and then mocks people for liking movies of substance. It's so funny because he probably thinks those |expletive| movies are good!!!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

If all the pissing that has taken place on this thread could have been redirected toward the Old Market last evening we would still have M's Pub and that apartment building to enjoy.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

nativeomahan wrote:If all the pissing that has taken place on this thread could have been redirected toward the Old Market last evening we would still have M's Pub and that apartment building to enjoy.
I wonder what they'll do with it now. Will they redo it or just put a brand new structure there? May I suggest rebuilding the Hotel Fontenelle there?

#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nativeomahan wrote:If all the pissing that has taken place on this thread could have been redirected toward the Old Market last evening we would still have M's Pub and that apartment building to enjoy.
Wat.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald:
RH Land Management Co., which is affiliated with Susie Buffett’s Sherwood Foundation, closed last week on its purchase of the Dundee Theater and surrounding properties.
The price tag? About $4 million, according to Douglas County property records.
The sale included the Dundee Theater and adjacent property, including the buildings that house Duggers Cafe and the Voila Blooms in Dundee flower shop.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/go/arts/sherwood-f ... fd6a0.html
Film Streams will begin fundraising efforts later this year for what is expected to be a multimillion dollar restoration project, with hopes to reopen the Dundee by 2018.

Rachel Jacobson, Film Streams executive director, said the fit makes perfect sense.
“We’re about film, and we’re about Omaha,” she said. “And the Dundee Theater represents this really important part of Omaha history and film history in this community.”
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

This is a good thing, they'll compliment each other not compete.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great to hear it is in good hands.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Great news! Rendering looks beautiful too!
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

It keeps getting glossed over, but the Old Dundee Bar & Grill is being forced to close to make this happen. It's the 49'r all over again!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I love that they are saving the theatre but I miss the old grand marquee's theaters had and wished they would have done that.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

byrdrules wrote:It keeps getting glossed over, but the Old Dundee Bar & Grill is being forced to close to make this happen. It's the 49'r all over again!
Que?
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

Linkin5 wrote:
Que?
According to the employees of the ODBG, they will be closing January 2017 to make way for this project. I've seen nothing official from Sherwood or Film Streams, but I doubt they'd want to put this type of info out there anyway...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Best news of the day.. Hate to see Old Dundee go, but..

Another "win" for Omaha. An additional theater dedicated to independent films is much needed in Omaha :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It will be interesting to see what they do with the space... Classrooms? Retail? Themed shops?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

byrdrules wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Que?
According to the employees of the ODBG, they will be closing January 2017 to make way for this project. I've seen nothing official from Sherwood or Film Streams, but I doubt they'd want to put this type of info out there anyway...
I've heard the businesses/tenants which are part of the property along the east side of 50th St. will remain. Not sure about the ODBG.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

GetUrban wrote:
byrdrules wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Que?
I've heard the businesses/tenants which are part of the property along the east side of 50th St. will remain. Not sure about the ODBG.
Lots of posts on facebook saying January 2017 they will be closing b/c their lease will be up and not renewed.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

iamjacobm wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
byrdrules wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Que?
Lots of posts on facebook saying January 2017 they will be closing b/c their lease will be up and not renewed.
Is that just the Old Dundee Bar & Grill? ...or the other tenants along 50th St. too? Those little storefront businesses, including the barbershop, have been there since 1926. It would be a shame to lose that variety of small businesses....no matter how great the new owner and new non-profit tenant in the theater is. I could see them needing the ODBG space possibly, but not the 50th St. storefronts.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Here's a pic from the DC assessor's site...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Don't know. Just read some comments on the OWH post about ODB closing.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote:Don't know. Just read some comments on the OWH post about ODB closing.
Hopefully they will be able to relocate, that's a popular spot.
yard salad
Home Owners Association

Post by yard salad »

Old Dundee closing makes sense if they don't want to bulldoze the existing buildings to make it up to code. Because the existing front doors are not up to code anymore (being 4 feet from Dodge street or less), the building was grandfathered in. A major remodel would invalidate that, making it prohibitive. My guess is that they will make the Old Dundee rear entrance the new main entrance. There's even already an adjoining door between the two buildings.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

yard salad wrote:Old Dundee closing makes sense if they don't want to bulldoze the existing buildings to make it up to code. Because the existing front doors are not up to code anymore (being 4 feet from Dodge street or less), the building was grandfathered in. A major remodel would invalidate that, making it prohibitive. My guess is that they will make the Old Dundee rear entrance the new main entrance. There's even already an adjoining door between the two buildings.
Genuinely curious, do you have a link to these codes?
yard salad
Home Owners Association

Post by yard salad »

Linkin5 wrote:
yard salad wrote:Old Dundee closing makes sense if they don't want to bulldoze the existing buildings to make it up to code. Because the existing front doors are not up to code anymore (being 4 feet from Dodge street or less), the building was grandfathered in. A major remodel would invalidate that, making it prohibitive. My guess is that they will make the Old Dundee rear entrance the new main entrance. There's even already an adjoining door between the two buildings.
Genuinely curious, do you have a link to these codes?
The setback distance would be defined by the zone that the Dundee is in, or in this section about urban design: https://www.municode.com/library/ne/oma ... RTXXIIURDE
Either way, I'm fairly certain that the required setback is more than what it is today.

This section about nonconforming development (specifically Sec 55-864) governs how buildings made before March 1987 can be repaired or added to: https://www.municode.com/library/ne/oma ... ARTXIXNODE
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Hi everyone,
While the response to today's announcement about the Dundee Theater has been overwhelmingly positive, we know some employees and patrons of the Old Dundee Bar were disappointed to learn it would be moving next year, and that's understandable. Our priority from the beginning has been to save the theater, making it a sustainable cinema for decades to come, and we've engaged our great board and architects with experience in historic preservation to make that happen. We won't be tearing anything down. Some needs do present themselves pretty quickly, including a new, safer entrance off of Dodge Street, a lobby that can accommodate the crowds and concessions needed to make this viable, and beyond that, additional space for programming, community events and educational opportunities (last year alone, we welcomed more than 5,000 students to the Ruth Sokolof Theater, many of them bused to the theater during the day with their classes). These things will be necessary for the theater to thrive. We're confident that when the Dundee Theater returns, it will be a cinema and venue that will make the neighborhood and city proud.
-Film Streams
From Film Streams FB.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Great news!

I was afraid that would become yet another parking lot.

It's great that they have a nonprofit driving this, otherwise I doubt that it would fly. If I had 6-7 figures to invest (which I don't) a single-screen theater would be about the last thing I would invest in.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Opens December 19th:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (189.77 KiB) Viewed 6445 times
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

So Attractive! So Substantial!
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Asbestos removal has been going on here at night
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

$1.1M in renovations, 1100 SF addition. Permits applied for.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:From the World Herald:
The sale included the Dundee Theater and adjacent property, including the buildings that house Duggers Cafe and the Voila Blooms in Dundee flower shop.
The Voila site just had a Plan Review submitted to the City:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (121.83 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Apartment building will be demolished to make way for Dundee Theater renovation project
Micah Mertes / World-Herald staff writer wrote:A seven-unit apartment building in the Dundee neighborhood will be demolished early next year to accommodate the renovation of the Dundee Theater, area business owners have been told.

RH Land Management Co., which is affiliated with Susie Buffett’s Sherwood Foundation, purchased the apartment building at 115 N. 50th St. in October for $565,000.

Earlier this year, RH Land Management bought other area properties with plans to donate the Dundee Theater to Film Streams to get it running again.

The theater has been closed since 2013.

Representatives of Film Streams declined to comment on the apartment building beyond saying that the property is not theirs to talk about. A representative of the Sherwood Foundation also offered no comment on the building except to say that the Film Streams project is not theirs to talk about.

A current tenant said the apartment residents had been given plenty of notice to be out by the end of January. Kristine Gerber, executive director of Restoration Exchange Omaha, said a representative of the Dundee project reached out to her group a few months ago to inquire about the apartment building’s history.

“It is not a local landmark or a historically significant building,” Gerber said, “and if we need to take this down to make a historically significant renovation happen, I think this is maybe a case where it does need to come down.”
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Well that's unfortunate.

The apartment isn't really notable other than the more urban quality it being there provides. A big parking lot is going to have a very suburban feel.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Dundeemaha wrote:Well that's unfortunate.

The apartment isn't really notable other than the more urban quality it being there provides. A big parking lot is going to have a very suburban feel.
I'm a Film Streams member myself and am happy they are taking over the Dundee Theater but it always seems bleak when you talk about tearing down a perfectly good structure for a parking lot.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got til its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

This probably doesn't work without adequate parking. Theater patrons expect decent parking. If you don't provide it, people won't show up. That was always one of the negatives of going to the Dundee Theater is half the time you were worried about finding a parking spot. I agree if tearing down a not historically significant apartment complex will help ensure the viability of the Dundee Theater, then I wouldn't want to stand in the way.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

So, now RH Land Management owns all of this:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (130.93 KiB) Viewed 4875 times
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

omaha79 wrote:This probably doesn't work without adequate parking. Theater patrons expect decent parking. If you don't provide it, people won't show up. That was always one of the negatives of going to the Dundee Theater is half the time you were worried about finding a parking spot. I agree if tearing down a not historically significant apartment complex will help ensure the viability of the Dundee Theater, then I wouldn't want to stand in the way.
I agree with your assessment but if Omaha had better mass transit, evicting people from a respectable housing unit in a terrific location might not have to happen.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Or maybe Omahans just figure it out on their own, we want to be a big city well that's life in the big city.
15-17, 26, 32
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I'm just curious if RH Realty, which has as its office 3555 Harney, is paying rent to the owner of that building. #nepotism