The Wire Apartments (19th and Dodge)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This would be the 4th major office to residential conversion between 19th and 24th for NuStyle in a fairly short time period.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Not sure if I saw this on earlier posts, but it was bought by NuStyle in April.

http://douglascone.wgxtreme.com/?d=1
With the new assessor site you have to click the button that says "View Full External Report" in the top left corner with the magnifying glass to link to the specific page:

http://douglascone.wgxtreme.com/java/wg ... 0310710000
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

iamjacobm wrote:This would be the 4th major office to residential conversion between 19th and 24th for NuStyle in a fairly short time period.
They're kicking a*s, to say the least.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

290 units  :shock: !!  This is huge huge huge huge.  Also $41 million project.  Holy smokes.

This is 700 NuStyle Apartments in 4 projects between 2011-2015 all in the sort of no mans land west downtown.  Crazy to think about.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

NuStyle needs to be given the keys to North Downtown and say "Here, do your thing!"

This is such an awesome project. I love these old buildings being revamped, and the new ones coming up.
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:NuStyle needs to be given the keys to North Downtown and say "Here, do your thing!"

This is such an awesome project. I love these old buildings being revamped, and the new ones coming up.
I don't think NuStyle has ever built new though.  They are responsible for the TipTop project in North Downtown.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Best pay ya'll's rent and utilities on time, motha f#%@a...

"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Best pay ya'll's rent and utilities on time, motha f#%@a...

Hilarious!

Having gone to CHS, I have long thought this building was becoming an eyesore. Great to see it get new life. With this project, as well as the other recent apartment rehabs in the area, hopefully the Civic site will be more attractive to commercial re-development.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130715/M ... apartments
Named for its telephone and communication roots, the Wire is to feature something that Heistand said is a first for NuStyle: a rooftop, full-size swimming pool with overhead garage doors that will open in warm months and close in the cold season.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Wonderful, wonderful news!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Fancy!
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
ne2929
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ne2929 »

This will hopefully be a successful project.  There is supposed to be a rooftop pool on the top of the building which will add another cool dimension to downtown apartment living in Omaha.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So thinking about all these downtown residential projects including this and the highline... has Omaha caught up to Des Moines in DT pop?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

ne2929 wrote:This will hopefully be a successful project.  There is supposed to be a rooftop pool on the top of the building which will add another cool dimension to downtown apartment living in Omaha.
That sounds pretty awesome. I bet the view of the AT&T building will be marvelous.

(I will not stop until that building is erased from existence.)
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Are you willing to tell me you don't think the At&t building is an architectural masterpiece? I don't know about you but all brick buildings with no windows are my favorite..
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

guitarguy wrote:Are you willing to tell me you don't think the At&t building is an architectural masterpiece? I don't know about you but all brick buildings with no windows are my favorite..
It's too beautiful to exist...

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That architectural style is so under appreciated. It should be saved for generations to admire.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:That architectural style is so under appreciated. It should be saved for generations to admire.
What sucks is that it actually serves a really important purpose. It'll be generations before this monster is felled.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MTO wrote:So thinking about all these downtown residential projects including this and the highline... has Omaha caught up to Des Moines in DT pop?
I didn't realize they had a larger DT population than Omaha.  I am sure they have been adding some new units as well, but Omaha is going crazy right now.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

There is a thread in this section that discusses dt population. it is all estimates but in 06, some forumers estimated that dt omaha was somewhere in the 7-8k range and dsm at 5 or less. i cant believe that omaha has been outpaced in the last 6-7 years by des moines....even before the recent surge in residential downtown.
Go Cubs Go
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

thenewguy wrote:There is a thread in this section that discusses dt population. it is all estimates but in 06, some forumers estimated that dt omaha was somewhere in the 7-8k range and dsm at 5 or less. i cant believe that omaha has been outpaced in the last 6-7 years by des moines....even before the recent surge in residential downtown.
Well I think they have an advantage from having their dt in the center of the city instead at of the eastern edge. But that's great to hear that they've come all that way. Just some more friendly competition! So let's get out there and kick their a$$!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Simply estimating based on zip code, as of 2010, omaha had a downtown population of 6200 or so vs dsm 5700.  thats just the core, not midtown too. certainly, there will be quite a spike for omaha but i dont know what types of developments des moines has going.

also in the downtown population thread (which i cwnt link to because im on my phone), i thought it was mentioned that omaha had an even larger downtown population than kc.  might have been DTO that daid it?

anyway....
Go Cubs Go
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

$6.4 million TIF request in next week's agenda.  Also said the building will have 134 parking stalls.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Where will the parking be?

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

RNcyanide wrote:Where will the parking be?
Basement and 2nd floor, commercial space on the first floor with the top 10 holding the apartments.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Nice! I'm glad they're optimizing the use of space.

The Bride
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Is there anything close to a rendering available? I'm really curious how the building will look. Right now it looks pretty awful.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Is there anything close to a rendering available? I'm really curious how the building will look. Right now it looks pretty awful.

Agreed. It has a loooooong way to go. At least it looks better than the AT&T building.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I wouldn't expect the exterior to change much more than a clean up.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Maybe if they ran some lighting around the top that would illuminate downward or some around the bottom that would illuminate upward...

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

For the height obsessed this building will go from 168ft to 196ft tall with the addition of the tenant amenities on the roof.  Making it the 21st tallest habitable building in the city.
Last edited by iamjacobm on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:$6.4 million TIF request in next week's agenda.  Also said the building will have 134 parking stalls.
The City Council passed the TIF request.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Small change, but it looks like this went from 290 units to 300.  Not sure if they changed layouts or cut 2 bedroom options.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: The Wire Apartments (19th and Dodge)

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140110/M ... 19808/1685
Friday, the developer had a 16-by-33-foot swimming pool hoisted to the top level of its latest housing project, the Wire, a high-rise apartment building at 100 S. 19th St.

The fiberglass, hour-glass-shaped pool shipped from Arkansas, and NuStyle's Todd Heistand believes it to be the first full-size pool in a downtown Omaha apartment building.

The indoor pool will be open year-round on the 13th floor, and glass walls around it will fold down during the summer.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, that's awesome!
PrismA3D
New to the Neighborhood

Post by PrismA3D »

New Interior renders for The Wire.
Prism Architectural 3D recent projects - The Wire
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

PrismA3D wrote:New Interior renders for The Wire.
Thanks PrismA3D! I wish more of those renderings were labeled.
PrismA3D
New to the Neighborhood

Post by PrismA3D »

Coyote wrote:
Done!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

PrismA3D wrote:
Coyote wrote:
Done!

Thanks!!! I didn't realize "the Lofts" rendering was also a part of the Wire. Better project than I imagined.