Burlington Station redevelopment by KETV

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad

cdub
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1207
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:38 pm
Location: Basement with my red swingline

Postby cdub » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:30 am

What happened to the hysterical laughing clip? :)

I think its a pretty good use and gets the place preserved.  They are looking at making some portion of the building public and preserving some history there.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20408
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Postby Coyote » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:33 am

The KETV Restaurant/Cafeteria?
Image

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 5965
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Postby nebugeater » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:45 am

Coyote wrote:The KETV Restaurant/Cafeteria?


Probably a room to come and watch and endless loop of the KETV news.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby bigredmed » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:38 am

Feel the love. :popcorn:

KETV did something good here.  The 100+ year old building is a big sink for cash.  Multiple people have tried and failed to turn it into markets, condos, offices, theaters.  AMTRAK failed at running it as a train station.  Might as well try a TV station.  Nothing else seems to be sticking.

HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1085
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm
Contact:

Postby HskrFanMike » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:15 pm

I would suspect that KETV would want AMTRAK back into the building, so that portion of the property could be redeveloped as well.
Blog:  http://huskermike.blogspot.com

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Postby iamjacobm » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:52 pm

I do really hope that this building getting a tenant will be a catalyst for Little Italy development.  There are still a lot of opportune lots that are prime for more apartment or row house development.

User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4551
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Postby S33 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:57 pm

Good lord, KETV is pretty proud of themselves for buying this building. Anyone visited ketv.com recently?
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Postby iamjacobm » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:07 pm

S33 wrote:Good lord, KETV is pretty proud of themselves for buying this building. Anyone visited ketv.com recently?


Haha, yeah I saw that.  They are going to throw a shoulder out patting themselves on the back.  This is a pretty big project for a company that I assume has pretty static viewership and revenue though.  I would assume they are going to try and build as much equity in the city as they can hoping this move will pull viewers from CBS and NBC.

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2333
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby jessep28 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:31 pm

S33 wrote:Good lord, KETV is pretty proud of themselves for buying this building. Anyone visited ketv.com recently?


It isn't much worse than KMTV publishing all those stories and buying billboard space for Jim Flowers.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Postby Omababe » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:57 am

jessep28 wrote:
S33 wrote:Good lord, KETV is pretty proud of themselves for buying this building. Anyone visited ketv.com recently?


It isn't much worse than KMTV publishing all those stories and buying billboard space for Jim Flowers.


Well, it pushed VerizonGate out of the lede position on one of their newscasts yesterday. :) Must be very important. :)

Ben
Human Relations
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Westside

Postby Ben » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Hearst  (the parent owner of KETV) has the budget to do this right...  They're one of the biggest media organizations in the country.  

I was just talking with a friend that works for them.  While they haven't gotten much more info than what's already been made public, he did say a couple of things.  First, that Hearst knows its a big project, and expects to spend $25Mil+ on this rehab.  They want to be imbedded in the community, and liked the idea of a iconic building rehab, rather than building from scratch, and what that represents to the city...  Also, as mentioned elsewhere, at least part of the building will be open to the public.  Details of this are still being hashed out, but maybe a history of Omaha broadcasting mini-museum, or an open to the public restaurant, a behind the scenes into the broadcast studio tour, or something along those lines.

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2746
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Postby RNcyanide » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:42 pm

Ben wrote:Hearst  (the parent owner of KETV) has the budget to do this right...  They're one of the biggest media organizations in the country.  

I was just talking with a friend that works for them.  While they haven't gotten much more info than what's already been made public, he did say a couple of things.  First, that Hearst knows its a big project, and expects to spend $25Mil+ on this rehab.  They want to be imbedded in the community, and liked the idea of a iconic building rehab, rather than building from scratch, and what that represents to the city...  Also, as mentioned elsewhere, at least part of the building will be open to the public.  Details of this are still being hashed out, but maybe a history of Omaha broadcasting mini-museum, or an open to the public restaurant, a behind the scenes into the broadcast studio tour, or something along those lines.


Stuff like this is helping the idea to grow on me a little bit more.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Postby iamjacobm » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:46 pm

Having a restaurant open up onto the bridge would be very cool.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Postby MadMartin8 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Ben wrote:Hearst  (the parent owner of KETV) has the budget to do this right...  They're one of the biggest media organizations in the country.  

I was just talking with a friend that works for them.  While they haven't gotten much more info than what's already been made public, he did say a couple of things.  First, that Hearst knows its a big project, and expects to spend $25Mil+ on this rehab.  They want to be imbedded in the community, and liked the idea of a iconic building rehab, rather than building from scratch, and what that represents to the city...  Also, as mentioned elsewhere, at least part of the building will be open to the public.  Details of this are still being hashed out, but maybe a history of Omaha broadcasting mini-museum, or an open to the public restaurant, a behind the scenes into the broadcast studio tour, or something along those lines.


If they have a restaurant, and or some ACTUAL community space, I am on board.
No posts exist for this topic

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1517
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Postby NovakOmaha » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:03 pm

Ben wrote:Hearst  (the parent owner of KETV) has the budget to do this right...  They're one of the biggest media organizations in the country.  


There's a funny side to this story.  

The OWH praises Hearst for doing this.  A very long time ago Hearst wanted to buy the OWH.  A local big wig named Peter Kiewit wanted the local paper to remain locally owned so he bought it.  He wasn't a big fan of Hearst.  AND he pretty much dictated what went on in Omaha, for better or worse.

nativeomahan
Planning Board
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha

Postby nativeomahan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:57 pm

I am 100% supportive of this announcement.  I think having a major media presence in the Old Market area will prove beneficial to Omaha's image in ways we can't even imagine right now.

SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby SaveOmaha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:47 pm

Have the renovations started? I haven't heard anything since the main announcement. I've driven by the station a couple times and nothing seems to be going on, except for a light was on and some brick was exposed on the south side. Not sure if that was there before or not. The old signs for the condo project were largely torn down as well.

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28325
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:56 pm

OmahaJosh618 wrote:Have the renovations started? I haven't heard anything since the main announcement. I've driven by the station a couple times and nothing seems to be going on, except for a light was on and some brick was exposed on the south side. Not sure if that was there before or not. The old signs for the condo project were largely torn down as well.


They started installing construction fencing along the east side within the past couple days.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:05 pm

The ratty banners advertising the old development have been taken down and new ones that say Future Home of KETV 7 are up.

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28325
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:20 pm

iamjacobm wrote:The ratty banners advertising the old development have been taken down and new ones that say Future Home of KETV 7 are up.


Cool!  There were several people down there the other day and some of the doors were open.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 3028
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Postby Uffda » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:03 am

Saw an coomercial that KETV will have a special report on the renovation Sunday night at 10:00

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Uffda wrote:Saw an coomercial that KETV will have a special report on the renovation Sunday night at 10:00


Hopefully they make it available online.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20408
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Postby Coyote » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:20 pm

Renovations start in October, project goes to Planning Board Sept 4th.
Image

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28325
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Bosco55David wrote:Hopefully they make it available online.


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_UB3rYnKtg[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_UB3rYnKtg
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:39 am
Location: New York City..Soon To Be Omaha
Contact:

Postby guitarguy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Gosh thats cool.. I'm actually very pleased that KETV took over Burlington and have major interest in preserving the beauty throughout the building. The architecture found throughout this building is my favorite and I really feel like what they have planned will be another project on a long list of downtown development that will pay off big time further down the road.

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7844
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Postby MTO » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:13 pm

Thats a very expensive project it's cool as heck they are going through with it.

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Postby GetUrban » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:40 pm

From the KETV report, I'm surprised the inside of the building is stripped-down as much as it is. This is going to be a cool project though.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20408
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Postby Coyote » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:50 pm

I hope they can keep that door into the 'Telegraph' Room and other features from the past...
Image

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28325
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:51 pm

GetUrban wrote:From the KETV report, I'm surprised the inside of the building is stripped-down as much as it is. This is going to be a cool project though.


We we had a forum meet there back in 2005 or 2006 it was stripped bare.  I think they said an architectural salvage company stripped it a while back.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2746
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Postby RNcyanide » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:52 pm

Brad wrote:
GetUrban wrote:From the KETV report, I'm surprised the inside of the building is stripped-down as much as it is. This is going to be a cool project though.


We we had a forum meet there back in 2005 or 2006 it was stripped bare.  I think they said an architectural salvage company stripped it a while back.


I heard that they had massive columns in there that were transported to somewhere on the UNL campus.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28325
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:06 pm

RNcyanide wrote:
Brad wrote:
GetUrban wrote:From the KETV report, I'm surprised the inside of the building is stripped-down as much as it is. This is going to be a cool project though.


We we had a forum meet there back in 2005 or 2006 it was stripped bare.  I think they said an architectural salvage company stripped it a while back.


I heard that they had massive columns in there that were transported to somewhere on the UNL campus.


No those were on the outside about 80-90 years ago before they remodeled it to look more like the Union Station.

Image
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2746
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Postby RNcyanide » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Ooooh, I see now. Thanks for the correction!!
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Postby iamjacobm » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:13 pm

The Columns are outside of Memorial stadium on the east side.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Postby MadMartin8 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:40 pm

Yes, and if a girl goes her entire college career without being kissed, the columns will fall! (at UNL)

Or so I've been told by a few people. Although I think that's a bastardization of the real legend. Anyone know the real one?



Anyways,

I really hope they do this project right, and do the city proud. I am cautiously optimistic...but I still wish this would have been a neat revitalized transportation hub.
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Postby iamjacobm » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:16 am

$1.3 million TIF request in the agenda next week.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Postby iamjacobm » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:32 am

Does anyone know if they are going to have to build a transmission tower on this site?

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28325
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:13 am

iamjacobm wrote:Does anyone know if they are going to have to build a transmission tower on this site?


I have heard that question a lot, but never found an answer.

I have heard that with the current high-speed fiber technology, that it might not be necessary anymore.   They could use current towers and connect to them with fiber.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2746
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Postby RNcyanide » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:14 am

I think what was discussed was that they were going to still use the tower from their old site and then microwave it to a larger tower from there. Please correct me if I am need of correcting.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2333
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby jessep28 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Does anyone know if they are going to have to build a transmission tower on this site?


I have heard that question a lot, but never found an answer.

I have heard that with the current high-speed fiber technology, that it might not be necessary anymore.   They could use current towers and connect to them with fiber.


Super 7 fiber optic technology brings you the new faster.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby bigredmed » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:13 pm

jessep28 wrote:
Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Does anyone know if they are going to have to build a transmission tower on this site?


I have heard that question a lot, but never found an answer.

I have heard that with the current high-speed fiber technology, that it might not be necessary anymore.   They could use current towers and connect to them with fiber.


Super 7 fiber optic technology brings you the new faster.


Their current studio connects to Cox via fiber.


Return to “Urban Omaha Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests