Carberry Apartments

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Carberry Apartments

Post by iamjacobm »

More of a needs to happen thread than an actual project thread.  These three apartment buildings on 40th and Cass are boarded up and could be wonderfully redone like the Austin Apartments a little further east.  I hope to see these full in the coming years.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

My grandmother lived next door to these apartments in the 1960s and 1970s.  Some of her "old lady friends" lived there.  The complex definitely has potential.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

I live close to those apartments. The buildings are quite beautiful!
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Anyone know what's going on here? Hopefully there're renovating!
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I didn't see a date on this, but...

Entire Apartment Complex Given 30 Day Notice to Evict
KPTM wrote:The tenants received a letter on Saturday telling them the owners wants to do renovations on the buildings. They only have until the end of the month to get out. The owner of the building lives in San Francisco. The company did not return calls for comment.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Re: Carberry Apartments

Post by SaveOmaha »

The Joslyn Castle Neighborhood Association's Facebook page reported about work starting on the Carberry Apartments. Good news for the area!
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Great news for the neighborhood!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Interior demo is in full swing here. Exciting to get these buildings being productive again. One thing is that there is 0 on site parking. If they get all three of these filled up there will be a street parking crunch around that block.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

New windows are in.

U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

RE: Carberry Apartments Looks like they plan to have the CO for the 1st building the third week of August with the other two building coming on line just a couple weeks thereafter! Solid surface counter tops, stainless steel appliances, restored hardwood floors, central air and heat, controlled entry

Parking will be the BIG hurdle.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

U R my Helix wrote:RE: Carberry Apartments Looks like they plan to have the CO for the 1st building the third week of August with the other two building coming on line just a couple weeks thereafter! Solid surface counter tops, stainless steel appliances, restored hardwood floors, central air and heat, controlled entry

Parking will be the BIG hurdle.
Well on the bright side, at least a bus route runs directly by here. But yeah... will be interesting to see how parking is dealt with here.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Definitely going to be interesting. The streets around in the neighborhood are already pretty full of cars.

It's in a pretty great spot for transit by Omaha standards. The 3 is only every half hour but it's a very easy walk to the 4 on Cuming and 2 on Dodge.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It will be very interesting to see how the parking goes. The neighborhood is already maxed out street parking wise. Between a lot of apartments and some med center spill over. Adding three big buildings full of people will really test the streets.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

The first building in the Carberry opened up about three weeks ago. They say so far it is going well with the first building nearly leased up. Here are some of the post rehab photos.

Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

I think the fact that the first building of this is already mostly leased out is a really good sign that the demand for urban living is still strong, seeing as how this particular set of buildings offers basically zero parking. And yet it is still quickly being filled.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Is Omaha's population growing fast enough to fill all these new residential projects? It must be because they seem to fill up right away. Or is it people moving from the suburbs to downtown. But the suburbs are still growing. :what: I'm so confused now. :lol:
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Urban living is experiencing a boom. There's a certain joie de vivre that you can't get in the suburbs here. A nurse I work with formerly lived out behind Village Point and hated it. He and his family live in Dundee now and are planning on raising their kids there. He talked about how when he lived out west, the neighbors kept to themselves and weren't really friendly. In Dundee, they are really outgoing and they have block parties and whatnot and are very easygoing. This excites me because a lot of people don't think it's possible to raise a family in this end of town. I love how people like him prove that notion wrong.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Is Omaha's population growing fast enough to fill all these new residential projects? It must be because they seem to fill up right away. Or is it people moving from the suburbs to downtown. But the suburbs are still growing. :what: I'm so confused now. :lol:
Basically what's happening is that, in a lot of cases, kids are graduating from high school and going to schools like UNO, Creighton or some of the smaller ones and want to live off campus, or graduating from college and want to stay in the urban area, or their newly empty nested parents want a more exciting place to live. There are cases of families moving in of course as well. But if you look at maps of changes in Douglas county's population, you'll notice growth from downtown to around 50th or so, then population decline from 50th to around 168th, and then growth west of that. The not so new suburbs are less attractive for new families, and then they're also losing population as their families age.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

I grew up in South O, was living the past 7 years in NYC though. Just moved back to Omaha and got a spot in the Carberry. It's nice, the pictures (albeit with the typical "real estate angle" effect) are accurate. I think 9 of the 12 in the first building are taken, though I think only 4-5 are occupied so far.

Also, can you believe the username "nebraska" was not taken?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Welcome to the forum, and back to Omaha... nebraska. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Thank you.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

2nd building has residents.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

The remodel is all complete. All units are leased. They had an open house yesterday, and the interiors look great!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nebraska wrote:I grew up in South O, was living the past 7 years in NYC though. Just moved back to Omaha and got a spot in the Carberry. It's nice, the pictures (albeit with the typical "real estate angle" effect) are accurate. I think 9 of the 12 in the first building are taken, though I think only 4-5 are occupied so far.

Also, can you believe the username "nebraska" was not taken?
Those apartments are cool!

That's so cool that you lived in NYC for 7 years. I almost moved there last year, but remained here. NYC is neat, but I'm basically over it. (I wouldn't think about going back there, unless a friend or two wanted to move with me.) I'm totally content living in Omaha with just pictures of NYC hanging around me. Are you glad to have left it?

Along with visiting Boston, I'm glad I finally had the chance to drive from Omaha to NYC on I-80. Just to drive across the Midwest, and woodsy mountains of Pennsylvania, then finally see that needled Empire State Building (and entire skyline of NYC) standing in the distance, and smell the ocean. It was almost surreal for me... (My main goal was to watch the fireworks over Lady Liberty on the 4th, and that I did, from the southern portion of Manhattan) Driving way back out to Omaha eventually, I just got this real sense of how it used to be the frontier, even when Boston & NYC were established, still a place where the Native American Indian dwelled on the open land. I just have this slightly different sense of Omaha, KC, St. Louis now...

Anyways, welcome back to Omaha!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

I lived in Queens and worked in Manhattan. 13 miles took me about 75 minutes a day - bus, train, train. I'm glad to have left the commute. Now I walk 15 minutes to work.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nebraska wrote:I lived in Queens and worked in Manhattan. 13 miles took me about 75 minutes a day - bus, train, train. I'm glad to have left the commute. Now I walk 15 minutes to work.
Oh, wow... I'd love to hear your stories...

It is so different here in many ways. Speaking of inner-city apartments (like these Carberry Apts), I can't believe how difficult it was for me to even look at rooms & apartments on the Queens/Brooklyn side, or even in older, dense areas of NJ adjacent to the city. Here in Omaha, for an inner-city apartment, you just make an appointment, and easily drive to the building, and park outside pretty easily, and the landlord/person is usually nice & considerate. There, you have to talk to a realtor or landlord about the apartment, or answer an add on Craigslist posted by a landlord. Sometimes, nobody answers or returns your emails or calls -- at all. If you get a hold of somebody, and make an appointment, then, you have to get across town, many times crossing traffic-clogged bridges and sitting on snarling expressways. If you are going from NJ to Brooklyn, you have to pay $14 to go through the tunnel under the Hudson, and then you have to get through the "mountain" of Manhattan, and then cross another clogged bridge over the other river, and then hope to find parking on narrow streets lined with dense, tall buildings & row homes. And, then after all that hassle...to find the person didn't show up for your appointment, didn't call, text, or anything -- nor answers your texts anymore. Some people were unbelievably inconsiderate & rude & uncaring there. Again, I wouldn't go back unless I had a friend (or two) with me -- or knew somebody there.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.