Atlas (NuStyle redevelops St. Joseph's)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Seth
Parks & Recreation

NuStyle redevelops St. Joseph's

Post by Seth »

Board weighing Creighton med center's fate is urged to consider impact on poorer areas

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131121/L ... 29721/1707
The board that oversees the Alegent Creighton Health system of hospitals and medical clinics meets today in Lincoln to discuss — and possibly decide — what will happen with the system's trauma and academic medical centers. Those centers now are at Creighton at 30th and California Streets, but they may be moving southwest to Bergan Mercy Medical Center, which is at 75th Street and Mercy Road.

Post by Guest »

They are moving to Bergan. The OWH announced that today.  Pretty expected.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Expected, but not ideal for us living west CUMC currently.  A lot of students live in this area, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the next few years.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Anonymous wrote:They are moving to Bergan. The OWH announced that today.  Pretty expected.
I guess we can move this out of rumors now.

Bergan Mercy to become teaching hospital, trauma center
Bob Glissmann / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Bergan Mercy Medical Center will become a teaching hospital and trauma center, shifting those functions four miles southwest of Creighton University Medical Center.

The board that oversees the Alegent Creighton Health system voted Thursday to make the move to Bergan from Creighton, which has served as a teaching hospital and trauma center since 1977.

The Creighton hospital, at 30th and California Streets, will become an outpatient center with an emergency department.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

So if its for sale, where will the outpatient and emergency be? I think I am missing something...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Are you thinking of the building at 24th and Cuming?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

iamjacobm wrote:Whole compound is for sale.
Louie wrote: So if its for sale, where will the outpatient and emergency be? I think I am missing something...
The entire compound isn't for sale. Boys Town hospital isn't included.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

jessep28 wrote:
Louie wrote: So if its for sale, where will the outpatient and emergency be? I think I am missing something...
The entire compound isn't for sale. Boys Town hospital isn't included.
Yeah didn't word that well. Meant the CHI portion.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That being said Creighton will probably build a new dentistry school further east and with Boys Town expanding their hospital out west I wonder what their plans are here long term.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/with-med-cen ... 8b507.html
With stepped-up efforts underway to sell the Creighton University Medical Center, a variety of possible uses are emerging that include housing, a data center, offices or research space.

And don’t forget vertical farming.

At least for now, nothing — including growing soybeans or other crops indoors — is too far-fetched an idea for the six-story structure that CB Richard Ellis/Mega Real Estate is marketing nationally, said James Maenner, the company’s senior vice president, who is exploring options with potential users including vertical-farming advocates.

Maenner’s firm has officially listed the 795,000-square-foot medical center and related parking stalls that will be vacated in 2017, after the teaching hospital and trauma center move to new digs at the Bergan Mercy Medical Center complex.

On Thursday, Maenner is having a meeting to give area brokers and developers an inside look at the facility at 30th and California Streets that, he said, would be the fourth-largest single office building in the downtown-midtown area.

Creighton’s preference is that the structure be repurposed and not demolished, said John Wilhelm, vice president for administration. He said the institution’s leaders have not set a price and are open to hearing all concepts.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

That vertical farming idea sounds amazing. It would be really good to have at a college for all the bio/ag/entomology/horticulture students.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Not sure Creighton has much ag relate curriculum. I think a vertical farm would be amazing though. I had a convo with a friend about localized food vs processed food after the whole ConAgra fiasco. We both agreed how great it would be is if Omaha became a national leader in fresh local food. We already have the surrounding farm land but a large vertical farm could provide a ton of food for the city and could be used as a place to teach people where their food comes from and why local and fresh is better than the processed stuff that is creating countless health issues for us. Schools touring the facility could teach children about good eating habits at an early age. Residents and restaurants could locally source produce all year long. Ect.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Yes!!!

Although, I am open to pretty much any of those ideas. Keeping it as a medical research facility to partner with UNMC would be one of the easier options, probably.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Found it!

Some potentially huge news tomorrow.

http://www.omaha.com/money/creighton-ha ... a2dfe.html
Creighton University has a buyer for its 40-year-old medical center on 30th and California Streets.

A brief announcement of a pending sale was made by email to some Creighton staff and faculty Wednesday afternoon.

Creighton has had plans to relocate its trauma center and teaching hospital to Bergan Mercy Medical Center in June 2017.

Until then, the Creighton medical center operations at 30th and California Streets will continue and will not be disrupted, medical center officials said. Redevelopment of the site is to begin after all patient services are moved.

A full announcement to the Creighton campus was scheduled Thursday.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I wonder to what extent the building will need renovations.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Coyote wrote:I wonder to what extent the building will need renovations.
Well, HDR is an engineering firm, so they'll have a plan to fix it up to suit their needs.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Professor Woland wrote:
Well, HDR is an engineering firm, so they'll have a plan to fix it up to suit their needs.
:lol: Hospitals are their big thing too, why not change one in to their office? Should have plenty of parking too!
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

When Creighton med center moves in 2017, building to get new life as 700 apartments, retail space
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (75.59 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (91.46 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

WHAT A PROJECT!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

700 apartment units, 40K SF in retail, a pedestrian bridge over 75, a lake and trail connections and a new elementary school. This is going to be awesome for Creighton, Midtown, NDT and Downtown.

This is going to be so freaking cool. NuStyle is such an asset for Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow, what a surprise! What a great use for that land!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Amazing proposal. After we have seen some of the work that NuStyle has done in Omaha, there isn't a better developer to take on this project.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Re: St. Joseph's Hospital closing

Post by GetUrban »

Wow! What a great project and team. Glad to see NuStyle and Alley Poyner Macchietto are leading it. This will be exciting to watch.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Re: NuStyle redevelops St. Joseph's

Post by Coyote »

GetUrban wrote:
Professor Woland wrote:
:lol: Hospitals are their big thing too, why not change one in to their office? Should have plenty of parking too!

That will be $90M worth of renovations? What a great project!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Holy |expletive|!

While I know we'd all love to see another tower downtown, these projects are just as good imo. This will be huge for the whole area.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

YAAAAAAAAS.

The Bride
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

It'll definitely be a positive development for the area. However, it's all conceptual until construction starts. Plenty of projects in this city have stalled during the planning stages for one reason or another.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

jessep28 wrote:It'll definitely be a positive development for the area. However, it's all conceptual until construction starts. Plenty of projects in this city have stalled during the planning stages for one reason or another.
NuStyle is about a strong as it gets. There is always that chance, but they have consistently been on time and impressive upon completion. I don't have a worry here.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Fantastic development for the urban core of the city..

A big time thumbs up :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

We could t have asked for a better project, and this'll add 700 more to our downtown, OURSTANDING.
15-17, 26, 32
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I hate to pull an MTO (<3 you MTO), but I have a strange feeling this is going to be the timeline.

-Late 2016/Early 2017, first complete renderings released
-2017 Hospital is vacated
-later 2017 incentives still being finalized, funding being secured
-2018 funding still being secured, incentives still being negotiated
-2021 Mecha-Jean, Omaha's new Mayor/Overlord denies incentives because of "costs"
-2025 Hospital is torn down after findings of severe asbestos, lead, and hidden colony of rabid baboons living in duct work
-2026 New renderings show new 4 story 120 unit apartment complex with Cubbies gas station and strip mall. Lake replaced with large surface parking lot for strip mall. Eomahaforums complains that the apartment complex is not urban enough because instead of 40 feet from the street, it's 45 feet from the street.
2028 - Construction completed.
No posts exist for this topic
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Actually MTO thinks there may be a slight delay like a 2018 start but MTO trusts NuStyle. If they had announced another full demo all new super block project I'd be skeptical.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:
jessep28 wrote:It'll definitely be a positive development for the area. However, it's all conceptual until construction starts. Plenty of projects in this city have stalled during the planning stages for one reason or another.
NuStyle is about a strong as it gets. There is always that chance, but they have consistently been on time and impressive upon completion. I don't have a worry here.
I agree, NuStyle has done some amazing things in the city and has kept it up with the old powerplant renovation which is going to amazing as well.

NuStyle has created over 1,000 units since 2005 and which totaled nearly $167 Million (1,032 according to their website). If you add this project in, it would be over 1,700 units to downtown. That is probably close to 3,000 more residents in the downtown area.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

NuStyle has earned my trust. Such a fantastic track record.

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Also puts us 700 closer to that DT grocer..
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Assuming this project comes to fruition, there are not a lot of cities the size of Omaha adding 700 units in one urban development. Most of the ones I have seen from midwestern cities lately are for around 200 - 300 units at most.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

This seems like a great value value based on cost per apartment.

Kansas City One Light is 315 Units costing $80 million ($20-$22 million from the city, with 50% property tax abatement for 25 years)
Kansas City Two Light is 300 Units costing $105 million ($17 million so far from the city, with 50% property tax abatement for 25 years)
Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Nick808402 »

Creighton as a University is also looking to expand its student base with increasing class sizes and this only adds student housing possibilities. I wouldn't be surprised if half of NuStyle's current tenants are or were Creighton students, myself included in the Highline 2.0.

This proposal looks absolutely amazing. I'm interested to see how they turn the hospital's terrible floor plan into apartments, and how it fits in with the Medical library / Dental School / Boys Town.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Even the "Mandelbaum" in DSM is only 200 units.
15-17, 26, 32