Old Union Pacific Headquarters Lot

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Old Union Pacific Headquarters Lot

Post by iamjacobm »

This thread isn't really to moan about the missed project.  Just got some info on the lot and how it could affect future development.  Apparently Gavilon looked at this lot when they were starting their search and the asking price was over $7 million, they paid about half that for their current site.

Someone is going to really fall in love with the property to buy it at that price with all the other options downtown.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I bet if the right player comes to town, they'll lower the price.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Does Townsend still own this lot?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Good god, I hope not... They just might hold onto it forever out of spite...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

twiztid1 wrote:Does Townsend still own this lot?
Owner:

WALLSTREET TOWER OMAHA LLC

12635 HEMLOCK ST
OVERLAND PARK KS 66213-0000
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

ShawJ wrote:
twiztid1 wrote:Does Townsend still own this lot?
Owner:

WALLSTREET TOWER OMAHA LLC

12635 HEMLOCK ST
OVERLAND PARK KS 66213-0000
Dammit.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just how much did they invest in he site for demolition, minus the $1.00 selling price...
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Can the city use eminent domain and get it back for a fraction of that?
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There must have been some agreement if WST never succeeded, can't remember any details...
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Coyote wrote:There must have been some agreement if WST never succeeded, can't remember any details...
Actually, I don't think there was, which is what made the city start making those agreements. I think it's been talked about before how the city made a big mistake by not having a development clause or something.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Maybe it's time for some ol' gangster $hit.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

I had thought the city took it back awhile back, unless that was just Townsend's office on Cass. Shame since they may hold on to it just too spite the city in the long run.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

This could be a stupid question, but how difficult is it to divide a plot of land like this up into smaller parcels for development? Develop a 10-12 story apartment building on half of the land and later a 20 story office building on the other half (in a hypothetical fantasy world).
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

In a hypothetical fantasy world not hard at all, just rezone the plot. Now, to change the city's Master Plan and get the Planning Commission and City Council to agree...
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

The should demand that it be kept up better and seize it if it is not.   Since it was given away by the city, I think it not being an eyesore isn't too much to ask.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Coyote wrote:Now, to change the city's Master Plan and get the Planning Commission and City Council to agree...
It's that simple, huh?  :D
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:In a hypothetical fantasy world not hard at all, just rezone the plot. Now, to change the city's Master Plan and get the Planning Commission and City Council to agree...

So you're saying there's a chance? :P
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

What it is now is better than the whole that once was...

The Bride
Schwartzkoff
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Schwartzkoff »

This may sound like a total hippy idea, but would there be any way we could turn this into an urban public shared garden in the short term. Similar to the one in Dundee. It's close to a lot of residences and would turn an eye sore to a "oh that's cool" for people visiting.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Schwartzkoff wrote:This may sound like a total hippy idea, but would there be any way we could turn this into an urban public shared garden in the short term. Similar to the one in Dundee. It's close to a lot of residences and would turn an eye sore to a "oh that's cool" for people visiting.
Didn't Herb talk about something like that at Leytham?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Schwartzkoff wrote:This may sound like a total hippy idea, but would there be any way we could turn this into an urban public shared garden in the short term. Similar to the one in Dundee. It's close to a lot of residences and would turn an eye sore to a "oh that's cool" for people visiting.
That sounds like a neat idea.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ShawJ wrote:This could be a stupid question, but how difficult is it to divide a plot of land like this up into smaller parcels for development? Develop a 10-12 story apartment building on half of the land and later a 20 story office building on the other half (in a hypothetical fantasy world).
I am not as educated on the CBD, however Omaha as a whole, lots get replated all the time.  I am literally working on a project right now that includes an existing lot, a replated lot and a street vacation in between.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

1416 Dodge - Lanoha (soon to be city) property

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

The 60-90 day wait may finally be over.

Developer's plans for downtown Omaha high-rise excite officials
A building as high as 25 stories — topped with condos and filled with office, retail and parking space — could finally rise on a prominent downtown Omaha square block that has sat vacant and weed-infested for the past five years.

The project envisioned by Omaha's Lanoha Development for 14th and Dodge Streets would replace the failed WallStreet Tower project proposed in 2005 by Kansas-based Townsend Inc.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20131117/M ... -officials
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Wow this is massive news!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Marvelous. Part of me really hopes they push the height to something taller than Elmwood Tower... Awesome news either way!!!

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Lots of hurdles still to overcome, but I like that Lanaha has the lead on this. Now we just need a tenant...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Cutting edge design would be a plus, too.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just read a list of their projects, I had no idea Lanaha was that much into construction.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:Just read a list of their projects, I had no idea Lanaha was that much into construction.
Me neither! I thought the only thing they built were nice trees!!

The Bride
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MadMartin8 wrote:Lots of hurdles still to overcome, but I like that Lanaha has the lead on this. Now we just need a tenant...
Is it too soon to add fuel to the Pac Life Headquarters rumor??

The Bride
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

Wow, talk about great news to wake up to on a Sunday morning. Obviously a long way to go but to see a major project like this go up a couple blocks from the Shamrock development would be really impressive. Maybe we'll have some nice shots of a new and improved skyline from Abbott drive in a couple years. I'm just hoping that Townsend doesn't end up actually making a decent profit out of all this.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

RNcyanide wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Lots of hurdles still to overcome, but I like that Lanaha has the lead on this. Now we just need a tenant...
Is it too soon to add fuel to the Pac Life Headquarters rumor??
Well actually Pacific Life is supposed to announce a decision to employees by the end of the year whether they stay at the Landmark Center, move to a different building or build anew. It is fun to ponder whether Pacific Life and the developer are aware of each other's efforts. I think the current lease runs out in 2015. My guess is the Lanaha project even under the most optimistic timelines would not be finished in time.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow, out of the blue awesome news
Coyote wrote:Just read a list of their projects, I had no idea Lanaha was that much into construction.
I believe it's the founder's son Jason that pushed them in in to development.  Although on a smaller scale, I think Mullhall's sun has also done the same.

If you have never been to the Scantuary, it's awesome.  Probably not as cool at the moment, but really cool in the warmer months when the flowers are in bloom and the waterfalls are turned on.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

First let me say this...  :banger:  :clap:  :banger:  :clap:  :banana:  :coolwoot:  :banana:  :coolwoot:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Second.. this project in todays Omaha seems like a slam dunk with the recent increase in need for commercial office space!! Woo Hoo  :mrgreen:

Third.. Omaha is really booming lately! I really do hope that we get to see this momentum continue and get to watch as the downtown area transforms into something amazing! 8)
Last edited by guitarguy on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

First of all... *cries*

This is freaking awesome!

Secondly, no one has posted the rendering yet!
Last edited by Garrett on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Just saw a rendering in the paper. PLEASED!!!!

The Bride
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

That's |expletive| awesome. Here's to hoping this one works out.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

If it matches the UP building I'll be happy but I think it would even better if its just a little taller than the UP. :yes:
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

How long of a time frame do you think we have before this gets actually underway? 2016 start?

I have a feeling the rendering and design will change by then...
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Well as do most projects of this magnitude I don't expect anything for a few years.. In the article it states that depending on demand for the space that will determine the height.