1912 Restaurant & Bar - Downtown Benson

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A restaurant and lounge titled "1912" applied for a liquor license for the building next to Krug Park.  Says it will have a rooftop deck.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

:banger: Aww yeah.. Rooftop parties here I come  :mrgreen:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:A restaurant and lounge titled "1912" applied for a liquor license for the building next to Krug Park.  Says it will have a rooftop deck.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Yep, I think they already have the deck installed too.  Should be a really cool addition to the strip.  Hope they take that wedge off though.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Love rooftop bars! If I ever get a night out this is definitely on the short list.
JayPak
New to the Neighborhood

Post by JayPak »

Hey, that's Bill's Grocery with a rooftop deck!  Whatever happened to Bill, anyway?  Miss the days of Bill's and Louis' going head to head in Benson!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

It would be a shame if they didn't get rid of that old shingled canopy / facade while they're at it. There must be something better underneath all of that |expletive|.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GetUrban wrote:It would be a shame if they didn't get rid of that old shingled canopy / facade while they're at it. There must be something better underneath all of that |expletive|.
I was thinking the same thing as I shot those pics. I forgot to go back and see if I could tell if there was anything underneath. At least they could paint some of the brick rows white to match buildings.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This is fantastic news.  Rooftop bars are super fun.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Do they make the handrails on the roof higher so the inebriated don't fall off? I'm not trying to be funny, I legitimately want to know...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

One can assume that the railing you see above the roof has at least a foot or more of space below it that you don't see.. It will be safe no worries.. can't wait to party on this roof.. :mrgreen:
Brad
City Council

Re: 1912 Restaurant & Bar - Downtown Benson

Post by Brad »

They don't make building codes different for drunks...  Someone can just as easily fall off while having a medical episode.  

This is going to be great.  Other than the Upstream, does any other bar in Omaha have a rooftop deck?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:They don't make building codes different for drunks...  Someone can just as easily fall off while having a medical episode.  

This is going to be great.  Other than the Upstream, does any other bar in Omaha have a rooftop deck?

Not on purpose that I can recall.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:They don't make building codes different for drunks...  Someone can just as easily fall off while having a medical episode.  

The Blatt.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Is that really a 'true' rooftop bar? its more of a open second level bar.. anyways I'm absolutely loving the focus on density in Benson the way things are going if you fast forward 2-3 years I don't see any other way that Benson won't be the premier bar scene in the city most likely even better than the Old Market!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:1912's kitchen opened yesterday...
They need to do something about where the smell from the kitchen goes. It lets out above the kitchen(obviously) and it smells like rotten eggs on the rooftop. I have no idea how they would remedy it, but it really smells bad.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Also 1912 just opened a full service bar on the roof. A huge improvement.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

iamjacobm wrote:Also 1912 just opened a full service bar on the roof. A huge improvement.
Yes! I was there last weekend for a friend's birthday, and it was a great place to spend the evening. Good drinks with a nice view!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ART SMARTS: an art inspired trivia night!
Oct. 11th, Tue at 7:00PM - 9:00PM
6201 Maple Street

Gather your team and show off your ART SMARTS in an art inspired Pub Quiz with the Joslyn Art Museum, BFF Omaha and Benson Brewery!

ART SMARTS: an art inspired trivia night!

Tuesday, October 11, 7-9pm at 1912 (6201 Maple Street)

Brought to you by Joslyn Art Museum, BFF, and Benson Brewery

Can you list the primary and secondary colors?

Do you know which local muralist had a “positive affirmation series” displayed around North Omaha?

Mark your calendars and start forming your All Star team for an art-inspired Trivia Night. Come and test the limits of your art and cultural knowledge, with prizes for the top three teams and bonuses throughout the night. To celebrate the artistic richness of Omaha, Benson Brewery will release a limited-edition brew inspired by Edouard Cibot’s Fallen Angels from the Joslyn Art Museum’s collection and featuring a label designed by a BFF artist. Register your team or sign up to play solo to compete in this fun, free event. Walk-ins welcome if seating is available.
OmahaRedWing
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaRedWing »

Has 1912 closed permanently? Thought it was the best rooftop bar in the area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OmahaRedWing wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:09 am Has 1912 closed permanently? Thought it was the best rooftop bar in the area.
Yeah, its a great rooftop. Hopefully something cool goes in there.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I don't go to Benson a ton, but I feel like 1912 got a reputation for having a rougher crowd, some fights, and just not the overall hipster vibe Benson has tried to build. Correct me if I'm wrong. But, the more Bensonite friends of mine all seemed to agree: "If you wanted to give Benson and enema, 1912 is where you'd stick the hose." Their words not mine. I generally always seemed to have an ok time there, but I was typically there on Friday afternoons with work people for a quick happy hour. If I ever suggested 1912 to my friends that frequented the area, I'd always get pushed to go somewhere else, especially places like Krug Park next door, but never 1912. Feels like they lost the regulars of that area.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

omaha79 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:00 am I don't go to Benson a ton, but I feel like 1912 got a reputation for having a rougher crowd, some fights, and just not the overall hipster vibe Benson has tried to build. Correct me if I'm wrong. But, the more Bensonite friends of mine all seemed to agree: "If you wanted to give Benson and enema, 1912 is where you'd stick the hose." Their words not mine. I generally always seemed to have an ok time there, but I was typically there on Friday afternoons with work people for a quick happy hour. If I ever suggested 1912 to my friends that frequented the area, I'd always get pushed to go somewhere else, especially places like Krug Park next door, but never 1912. Feels like they lost the regulars of that area.
This is the same sentiment I've heard and witnessed.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Louie wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:04 am
omaha79 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:00 am I don't go to Benson a ton, but I feel like 1912 got a reputation for having a rougher crowd, some fights, and just not the overall hipster vibe Benson has tried to build. Correct me if I'm wrong. But, the more Bensonite friends of mine all seemed to agree: "If you wanted to give Benson and enema, 1912 is where you'd stick the hose." Their words not mine. I generally always seemed to have an ok time there, but I was typically there on Friday afternoons with work people for a quick happy hour. If I ever suggested 1912 to my friends that frequented the area, I'd always get pushed to go somewhere else, especially places like Krug Park next door, but never 1912. Feels like they lost the regulars of that area.
This is the same sentiment I've heard and witnessed.
Hopefully they get that space filled with something else.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Re: 1912 Restaurant & Bar (Benson)

Post by ChadJK »

Their website says "TEMPORARILY CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS AND REPAIRS" and their Yelp listing says their scheduled reopen is June 1st. Though, according to their Facebook, it looks like they've been closed since November 2022. So, that's a long time to "We're going to take this opportunity to throw on a coat of paint, refinish our floors and do other general renovations we've been delaying."
Last edited by ChadJK on Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
BensonBunnyBoy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BensonBunnyBoy »

Rumor is this is getting sold to owner of Barchen. Might be cool new concept, but sucks it will prob be closed all summer
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

BensonBunnyBoy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:44 pm Rumor is this is getting sold to owner of Barchen. Might be cool new concept, but sucks it will prob be closed all summer
Any updates on this? Obviously still closed but anything on the horizon?
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Re: 1912 Restaurant & Bar (Benson)

Post by ChadJK »

Some of the comments on their stagnant Facebook page are amusing. IIRC, one commenter asked if they were waiting for the repair person to be born.
BensonBunnyBoy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BensonBunnyBoy »

Greg S wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:22 am
BensonBunnyBoy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:44 pm Rumor is this is getting sold to owner of Barchen. Might be cool new concept, but sucks it will prob be closed all summer
Any updates on this? Obviously still closed but anything on the horizon?
Nothing really unfortuantley