Re: Benson

Post by Otown88 »

^^^
Will be called Mayne Street Deli and hopefully should open by summer
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Re:

Post by RockHarbor »

Finn wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:22 pm They definitely need an aesthetic upgrade. Maybe make the street parking diagonal, put in historic lampposts, brick sidewalks, planters, more trees, etc.
It's funny people say stuff like this because I feel the same way. Although I love the Benson Business District and like how it is thriving (and love that new urban block "Benson Lights"), there is something a bit dirty or grimey -- or something -- that I don't like. It's like a downer to my spirit, a slight lack of charm, an "old, but not in a good way" feel (like an old junk thrift store w/ no charm or class feel whatsoever, vs. an "old in a good way" antique store) that needs to go away... I don't expect it to be Dundee, because it isn't Dundee. It's Benson. But, still...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Re: Re:

Post by buildomaha »

RockHarbor wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:20 pm
Finn wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:22 pm They definitely need an aesthetic upgrade. Maybe make the street parking diagonal, put in historic lampposts, brick sidewalks, planters, more trees, etc.
It's funny people say stuff like this because I feel the same way. Although I love the Benson Business District and like how it is thriving (and love that new urban block "Benson Lights"), there is something a bit dirty or grimey -- or something -- that I don't like. It's like a downer to my spirit, a slight lack of charm, an "old, but not in a good way" feel (like an old junk thrift store w/ no charm or class feel whatsoever, vs. an "old in a good way" antique store) that needs to go away... I don't expect it to be Dundee, because it isn't Dundee. It's Benson. But, still...
I would say that I love Benson because it isn't an uber-classy district. I think it has plenty of character, in a different way than Dundee.
#gohawks
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

It needs street and sidewalk upgrades. They couldn't put in diagonal parking, there's not enough room. But they really need to make the sidewalks wider, and they could do that by taking out the practically useless middle turn lane. Then I think they could do away with some of the streetlights. Keep the 60th and 63rd at least, maybe Military. Lower the speed limit to 25 (if it isn't already), and make the other crossings into pedestrian crossings. Add those pedestrian bumpouts on the corners, and I think we'd have a pretty good look.

PS. the feel of Benson is a product of the neighborhood. Not very nice, old houses that young people can buy up at relatively cheap prices. Once these young people have their feet under them and improve their own properties, and square up, I think we'll turn up with a nicer feel. It might be upwards of 15 years, or it may not happen at all. Depends how much the neighbors care.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:06 pm
It needs street and sidewalk upgrades. They couldn't put in diagonal parking, there's not enough room. But they really need to make the sidewalks wider, and they could do that by taking out the practically useless middle turn lane. Then I think they could do away with some of the streetlights. Keep the 60th and 63rd at least, maybe Military. Lower the speed limit to 25 (if it isn't already), and make the other crossings into pedestrian crossings. Add those pedestrian bumpouts on the corners, and I think we'd have a pretty good look.

PS. the feel of Benson is a product of the neighborhood. Not very nice, old houses that young people can buy up at relatively cheap prices. Once these young people have their feet under them and improve their own properties, and square up, I think we'll turn up with a nicer feel. It might be upwards of 15 years, or it may not happen at all. Depends how much the neighbors care.
Right on. That new parking sounds needed. You're right on that I'm sure... I didnt really think about that. In time, I'm sure it will get better & better as property values rise... You're right; the surrounding neighborhood is probably part of it. Shabby North 72nd needs work, but thankfully, it is getting nicer with new businesses on those lots for sale where Bakers used to be. The NW Radial Highway has always had a different vibe to me, as it snakes & twists thru Omaha's northern side. Funny, when you get to Downtown Benson, it all feels very old & some things are shabby, yet you can see farms & farmland clashing out west on the horizon, as the city starts unraveling into fields NW of there. I just want that whole area to have some Bohemians move in (or whoever wants to fix it up), and see shutters painted red! Flower pots on the porches! Flower boxes in the windows! Green perfect lawns! White picket fences! Quaint old houses! And, so on.... I love that name "Benson" for that area.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Otown88
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Otown88 »

The Taco Co and Margarita garden sign is up and is looking good... is set to open Mid July

The old Janes is set to open as "Baked After Dark Cookies" and should also be opening soon
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Otown88 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 am See the building on 6121 Maple St is now for sale on loopnet next to 1912. Would be a nice addition to the area
Looks like the people behind Barchen doing something here.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:16 pm
Otown88 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 am See the building on 6121 Maple St is now for sale on loopnet next to 1912. Would be a nice addition to the area
Looks like the people behind Barchen doing something here.
Going to focus on burgers. Reworking the facade to something more attractive and should have garage doors facing Maple. Really large space with lots of seating inside.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Market on Maple wrote: Join us for our first ever monthly market! The Market on Maple is brought to you by the creative minds behind Best of Omaha winners Found Vintage Market and will be a carefully curated mix of home accessories and vintage furniture pieces. The Market on Maple will have the same high quality level that you have come to know and love from Found Vintage Market.

Bring your friends, family and anyone you know to our opening event filled will amazing finds for your home. Since every event is new every month, you will want to be there!

Opening Event Information:
February 1st-3rd
Friday 10am-8pm
Saturday 10am-8pm
Sunday 12am-4pm

Found Vintage Market @ 6001 Maple Street, Omaha, Ne 68104

We are so excited to bring more to our Benson and Omaha Community! Come celebrate with us and take home some amazing one of a kind goodies! We can’t wait to see you there!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coming soon to Benson (6061 Maple) the Benson Wine Shop

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (116.22 KiB) Viewed 7752 times
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Good for Downtown Benson.

I like downtown Benson. I like the name "Benson." I think that would be a cute pet or baby name.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Couples can shop at the romance superstore and pick up a bottle of wine all in one stop.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

jessep28 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:49 pm Couples can shop at the romance superstore and pick up a bottle of wine all in one stop.
And then go to Benson Brewery next door down.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

jessep28 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:49 pm Couples can shop at the romance superstore and pick up a bottle of wine all in one stop.
Do you get the bottle of wine prior to going in the "Tunnel of Love" in that store? (Never been in, but it's one of the most comical stores to walk by)
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

obvious2677 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:43 am
Do you get the bottle of wine prior to going in the "Tunnel of Love" in that store? (Never been in, but it's one of the most comical stores to walk by)
What's comical about it?
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

ScrattyB wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:07 am
obvious2677 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:43 am
What's comical about it?
Everything.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Getting a second floor. Street level will be event space. New second floor addition will be full service restaurant with an outdoor patio. Some elevations here.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ust/04.pdf
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:41 pm
Getting a second floor. Street level will be event space. New second floor addition will be full service restaurant with an outdoor patio. Some elevations here.

Very nice upgrade for that building. Between this and the new apartment project, Benson will have some new construction, something we haven't seen there since Benson Lights was completed.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Sounds like a good plan. But the neighbors to the east will be upset at losing their windows, no doubt.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Part of living in the city. This may have been posted before, but Lot Line Windows have been quite a topic in NYC: https://www.nycblogestate.com/2017/01/l ... ocked.html
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

In Puerto Vallarta neither condo towers nor houses are built with side windows. That’s because, for some reason, everyone builds their buildings right up to the lot lines. Even when it would appear that a building is situated in a “safe” place where no one would think to build a building of equal height immediately adjacent to it, it still happens with noticeable frequency.
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

Across the street from Jakes the same people who own Ika Ramen have started construction on a new American restaurant and cocktail bar called JoJo's.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

BIGO88 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:36 pm Across the street from Jakes the same people who own Ika Ramen have started construction on a new American restaurant and cocktail bar called JoJo's.
To the north of Star Deli?
Jins123
Home Owners Association

Post by Jins123 »

Leo’s is for sale. Owners want to retire.

http://www.mrcie.org/listing/30551066/6 ... a-NE-68104
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Bryan Hill Entertainment building just west of the 1887 Parlor at 6070 Maple will become the Edge of the Universe. Does anyone know what this wiil be?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:41 am The Bryan Hill Entertainment building just west of the 1887 Parlor at 6070 Maple will become the Edge of the Universe. Does anyone know what this wiil be?
Found this.

Help me raise the rest of $15,000 to pay for my SBA loan. We've come up with $8,000 between me and Adam and we need your help to get the rest of the way there to open 'Edge of the Universe' our theme-changing lounge for people to go and find magic in their lives again through different exhibits we'll create. Sip under the indoor stars, take selfies with dragons, or find the joy again in dress up - because no one is alien at the 'Edge of the Universe'.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Like Chalmun's Spaceport Cantina?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ricko wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:46 pmLike Chalmun's Spaceport Cantina
Co-owner Rachel Evans works for the Omaha Children"s Museum:

[youtube]
[/youtube]
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:41 pm Image

Haven’t been in this area a long time, did this project end up happening?
JDJase
Home Owners Association

Post by JDJase »

Linkin5 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:34 am

I drove through here today, the construction appears to be completed, it’s now 2 stories, but I couldn’t tell if there was anything in there yet.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

JDJase wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:58 pm
Linkin5 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:34 am

I drove through here today, the construction appears to be completed, it’s now 2 stories, but I couldn’t tell if there was anything in there yet.
Awesome, thank you!
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Dundeemaha wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:57 am Image
Thank you so much for posting this! This building drove me crazy how ugly it was, this is an incredible update.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

I noticed this property across the Benson Lights Apartments is for sale. Put a pin on this 1 acre site; looks like another spot for a potential multifamily residential project in Benson.

https://www.crexi.com/properties/515381 ... radial-hwy
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

We better get Gary in the area ASAP
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

They started working on the building that is on the North East corner of 60th & Maple Street.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

S.O.Boy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:02 pm They started working on the building that is on the North East corner of 60th & Maple Street.
Just the first bay on the corner? I think the one to the east of that is vacant, too, right?
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Benson business district listed on National Register of Historic Places
Kent Luetzen
The Benson business district is officially listed in the National Register of Historic Places and with that title comes a list of funding opportunities.

"We've always known Benson’s a special place and historic in nature, but now it's official," said Omaha city councilman Pete Festersen.

He added that it’s about time downtown Benson was put on the National Register of Historic Places.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

S.O.Boy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:02 pm They started working on the building that is on the North East corner of 60th & Maple Street.
Good to hear that building is a mess. Any idea of what is going in there?