Benson

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Re: Benson

Post by cdub »

Heck we could knock down a few buildings and really go to town!

Might a little bit of appropriately placed parking help? Yes. But you do indeed have to be careful about what you sacrifice to get it. A 4 ' sidewalk would be pitiful and may not even be able to meet ADA depending upon how much |expletive| (signs, lights, etc) has to be placed there. We are going to end up with some bad decisions in Benson, I can see it happening. No real leadership, lots of divergent opinions, just too many cooks in the kitchen and most of the final decisions being made by traffic engineers. I'm watching with my eyes partially covered.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Jane's should work-out a deal with the Alegent Clinic to their south to share or lease a few spaces from their parking lot. That clinic could add more parking south of their building too. Not that the neighbors to the south would approve...and nobody really wants to create more surface parking lots. The abandoned Walgreen's site to the north would be a good place for a Benson parking garage if somebody would want to foot the bill.

So why doesn't the Omaha Planning Dept. take more of a leadership role? ...or are there already too many head-strong Bensonites involved?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

GetUrban wrote:Jane's should work-out a deal with the Alegent Clinic to their south to share or lease a few spaces from their parking lot. That clinic could add more parking south of their building too. Not that the neighbors to the south would approve...and nobody really wants to create more surface parking lots. The abandoned Walgreen's site to the north would be a good place for a Benson parking garage if somebody would want to foot the bill.

So why doesn't the Omaha Planning Dept. take more of a leadership role?   ...or are there already too many head-strong Bensonites involved?
I think the Salvation Army bought the old Walgreen's for what it's worth.

I just don't see how tearing up the sidewalks and making them tiny will really matter in the long run. The only thing Benson is going to do is get more popular and more busy. Multiple new drinking holes, a 225 seat theater, a new music venue ect. A dozen spots aren't going to cure any parking headaches. All it will do is make the sidewalks even more congested and dangerous.

The only way this will be fixed is if people start flattening the nearby homes for surface lots, which would be a travesty. Or if a developer finally sees Benson as a place to invest and drops $25 million on a garage with retail/living included. I don't see any scenario where the city ponies up for a parking garage in Benson and no developer will build a parking structure that wont make them money.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Its hard to believe this is a conversation thats even possible considering what Benson used to be.. never in my life did I see Benson amounting to anything considering how much of a dump most of it was not even that long ago.
FrankJones
New to the Neighborhood

Post by FrankJones »

iamjacobm wrote:
GetUrban wrote:Jane's should work-out a deal with the Alegent Clinic to their south to share or lease a few spaces from their parking lot. That clinic could add more parking south of their building too. Not that the neighbors to the south would approve...and nobody really wants to create more surface parking lots. The abandoned Walgreen's site to the north would be a good place for a Benson parking garage if somebody would want to foot the bill.

So why doesn't the Omaha Planning Dept. take more of a leadership role?   ...or are there already too many head-strong Bensonites involved?
I think the Salvation Army bought the old Walgreen's for what it's worth.

I just don't see how tearing up the sidewalks and making them tiny will really matter in the long run.  The only thing Benson is going to do is get more popular and more busy.  Multiple new drinking holes, a 225 seat theater, a new music venue ect.  A dozen spots aren't going to cure any parking headaches.  All it will do is make the sidewalks even more congested and dangerous.

The only way this will be fixed is if people start flattening the nearby homes for surface lots, which would be a travesty.  Or if a developer finally sees Benson as a place to invest and drops $25 million on a garage with retail/living included.  I don't see any scenario where the city ponies up for a parking garage in Benson and no developer will build a parking structure that wont make them money.
12 parking spaces is 12 parking spaces, and on all but weekend nights that will make a significant difference.

There is also significant parking available within a block north and a block south of Maple. But the City is going to have to improve the street lighting, or very few people (including myself) are going to park and walk in the dark.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I always park at the library and its always lit up and almost never full. 8)
FrankJones
New to the Neighborhood

Post by FrankJones »

guitarguy wrote:I always park at the library and its always lit up and almost never full.  8)
Which is why you park there. Very smart.

I'm not sure why there aren't some simple, easy solutions being looked at. Go to Westroads Mall, and you're apt to park 3 blocks from the building, then walk 3-4 blocks once in the building, to get to the store you want to go to. But we think it's a travesty if we have to park 2 blocks from The Waiting Room.

Again, I don't mind parking several blocks away & walking, provided the area is well-lit & safe.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Hey everybody, let's pave paradise, and put up a parking lot.

Just what century is this?
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

I'm not really familiar with the Benson area. We went to go eat and saw there was no off street parking. We decided to head up towards the neighborhoods and could not find a spot. We saw a couple parking lots but they said parking for "business" only and was unsure if we'd be towed. If I was familiar with the area I would have parked far away as I have no problem walking but parts of the neighborhood so seemed sketchy. I'm sure it is fine but decided to go elsewhere as it was easier. So I do see where parking would cine in handy for some of those that do not know the area plus the recent shooting nearby doesn't help people view the are as safe (yes, I understand shootings can happen anywhere)
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Since Benson has become popular with the hipsters, there's probably a discrepency between what the older residents want and what the new residents/outsiders who frequent the area want. Until the neighborhood becomes mostly new residents who will probably all think alike I don't see a whole lot of challenging infastructure decisions being made. And really, I think the people who have adopted the main street would probably like it to stay the way it is or it may become too popular.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Apparently the 1912 bar started hiring a few weeks ago. Lets hope the deck will open sometime this summer so we can enjoy the space!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Apparently the 1912 bar started hiring a few weeks ago.  Lets hope the deck will open sometime this summer so we can enjoy the space!
They started accepting applications on May 16th, kind of over shooting their Spring of 2014 opening...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Apparently the 1912 bar started hiring a few weeks ago.  Lets hope the deck will open sometime this summer so we can enjoy the space!
They started accepting applications on May 16th, kind of over shooting their Spring of 2014 opening...
Well slight progress, their sign is up on the building now. Looks good, still hoping we get a few summer/fall months with the roof.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

1912 is supposed to open July 31st.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:1912 is supposed to open July 31st.

They have missed so much business this summer already, I can't believe they didn't try to push to open this weekend for Benson days.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re:

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Proposed Bucky's Wins First-Round Approval
KPTM wrote:If all of the details can be ironed out, the new Bucky's would take over the old and iconic Louis Market at the corner of 58th and NW Radial Highway, which has now sat empty for the better part of a year and a half. "I like the idea of a big investment happening there," said Benson advocate Kurt Goetzinger.  "Unfortunately, not everybody is happy about that."
This is back in the agenda, must be moving forward.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Linkin5 wrote:

They have missed so much business this summer already, I can't believe they didn't try to push to open this weekend for Benson days.
They were open for Benson Days, if only temporarily.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Hmm I walked past it, must have not been open yet, how was it?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

After growing up in the area and moving out in 2000, it's hard to believe the transformation this area has undergone.
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Any word on when the streetscape improvements will start? Noticed a lot of issues with the sidewalks on Sunday night, most notable the bricks along the curb completely crumbling out of their place. Also with these skinny sidewalks are there anyways to move all the signs more toward/into the curb instead of the sidewalks? Almost impossible to walk two wide down Maple St b/c you have to navigate the signs.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:Any word on when the streetscape improvements will start?  Noticed a lot of issues with the sidewalks on Sunday night, most notable the bricks along the curb completely crumbling out of their place.  Also with these skinny sidewalks are there anyways to move all the signs more toward/into the curb instead of the sidewalks?  Almost impossible to walk two wide down Maple St b/c you have to navigate the signs.
Not sure, we have a Benson meeting next month I'll provide whatever info I find out.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Any word on when the streetscape improvements will start?  Noticed a lot of issues with the sidewalks on Sunday night, most notable the bricks along the curb completely crumbling out of their place.  Also with these skinny sidewalks are there anyways to move all the signs more toward/into the curb instead of the sidewalks?  Almost impossible to walk two wide down Maple St b/c you have to navigate the signs.
Not sure, we have a Benson meeting next month I'll provide whatever info I find out.
Cool. I hadn't noticed it the last 100 times, but on Sunday I noticed some huge chunks of brick missing with the sand below it exposed. I don't think we need some super fancy Dundee-esque redo, but I think the sidewalks need to be walkable.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Just move the signs as you walk by, thats what I do. They serve a function but are definitely an impediment in a district with already marginal sidewalks.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Well they missed that date. Sounds like they are in fact open today though.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I'm thinking this last weekend was their grand opening.. could have had a soft opening when I as there Friday. Either way I think a lot of people are very excited about this bar. Will help a lot with anchoring that side of Benson's nightlife cred.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

1912 (5 hours ago) wrote:OPEN TODAY! Roof top specials, come join us!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Was at 1912 for a while last night. Nice place the roof top was fun. The only issue if you can call it that is that the place is massive. It takes so many people to fill up the bar and the rooftop that the vibe kind of gets tuned down.

Also the hge windows facing Maple actually open up and that was a cool touch.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Women's clothing store called "Daisy Jones' Locker" opening in Benson in October.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A place called "Daddy's Neighborhood Fresh Market" has opened at 48th and NW Radial. Quote from their website:
to promote healthy eating for the community by providing the FRESHEST local produce, prepackaged grass fed beef, chicken and pork and dairy products from local suppliers within a 100 mile radius of Omaha.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That name is a little creepy.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Nice to see new businesses along NW Radial. That's a cool stretch of building stock from Cuming to Maple.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

A great thing to have in a neighborhood that doesn't have the best options for fresh food!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice to have a fresh foods 'Farmers Market' in east Benson. I'll have to check this place out once they are settled in, should be getting a lot of good produce is time of year!
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

After seeing this post I stopped by on my ride home from work. Was pretty active and everyone was super friendly. I grabbed some corn, a ribeye, some horseradish cream cheese, fresh honey, and they even gave out free ground beef. Definitely recommend checking it out.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Dundeemaha wrote:After seeing this post I stopped by on my ride home from work. Was pretty active and everyone was super friendly. I grabbed some corn, a ribeye, some horseradish cream cheese, fresh honey, and they even gave out free ground beef. Definitely recommend checking it out.
Cool! This is a large building, which clearly is not fully used by the grocery. Are there any other tenants in the building with them?
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Daddy's Neighborhood Fresh Market on the SE corner of 48th & NW Radial Hwy is a really small store on the western edge of that building. On the eastern edge of the building there is now the Pear Tree Performing Arts center, which looks like a youth educational center, which is where that Thrift store was, and before that the Bolter Carpet place. In between are several vacant store fronts. The brother of the owner said it they were either going to open a market or a liquor store, and the brother won out. they have a decent fresh dairy section, I purchased an herbal Fromage blanc , but the meats and the fresh produce looks like it will carry the day. They do have local jams and mixes, and a variety of pastas also. they say that 90% of their produce is organic but certified organic is hard to get in the area. I don't know how long this place will sustain itself. The parking along NW Radial is dangerous, but I did see a parking pad in the rear.

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

This place reminds me a lot of the NY Butchers markets.. Really like how this one turned out and have no reason to think it won't be a huge success for the area. Are there any other small butcher shops around town?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Benson business district preps for makeover
KETV wrote:The area will use $1.3 million for the renovation -- about $700,000 of which is from city transportation bonds.

Crews will make sidewalks wider and put in new curbs and plazas.

There will also be new features to help with traffic, new landscaping and bike racks.

Omaha City Councilman Pete Festersen said this is just what the area needs to keep it thriving.

There will be public meetings to voice concerns and suggestions. Times and dates have not yet been set.
Looks like Maple will lose the center turn lane and the sidewalks with be expanded. This will really help out the area. Those sidewalks are too narrow for all the people walking around the area on the weekends.

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Whats this going to do to Parking on the strip? I think if it removes any of the on street parking that the Neighborhood South will really become overrun on the weekends. Would hate to have all the good ruined by drunk people brawling in the dark Neighborhood streets.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Really need a parking garage. Probably wise than in Dundee. Would also be nice to see some more housing density so more people could simply walk.