Benson

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Benson

Post by iamjacobm »

Also not sure if those renderings are accurate, I think they are pretty old. Last I heard they would take a foot off of all three lanes of traffic and add 18 inches of sidewalk to each side, turn lane would stay in.

I could be wrong though.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Star Deli posted this aerial shot on their facebook:

threeoutside
New to the Neighborhood

Post by threeoutside »

Coyote wrote:The parking along NW Radial is dangerous, but I did see a parking pad in the rear.
Yes, there's parking off 48th Street, around back. I'm hoping they will maintain it diligently during the winter months.

Nice place and the one guy I met is friendly and helpful. I've tried their dairy and eggs so far, very yummy. Like all organic, the price is higher but that's to be expected, especially in a little neighborhood store. The fact that it's four blocks from my house is a MAJOR plus in my view. I hope they do well and stick around! :)
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

That's a really cool aerial of Benson.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:Really need a parking garage. Probably wise than in Dundee. Would also be nice to see some more housing density so more people could simply walk.
Do you know anything about that Larkins Parkin building? I have never understood what it is.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Really need a parking garage. Probably wise than in Dundee. Would also be nice to see some more housing density so more people could simply walk.
Do you know anything about that Larkins Parkin building?  I have never understood what it is.
At one time they wanted to do by the hour parking there, but I think they went to long term parking only. Not 100% on that though.
laserdisque
Home Owners Association

Post by laserdisque »

Linkin5 wrote:
Do you know anything about that Larkins Parkin building?  I have never understood what it is.
John Larkin is the guy that owns Jake's, Beercade, and a few other places. He wanted it to be valet parking. It did not turn out as well as his other ventures.
Beach Dad
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://experiencebenson.com/streetscape-project/
Features will include the widening and replacement of all sidewalks, new curbs, new public plazas, traffic calming at several intersections, new landscaping, benches and bike racks from 59th to 63rd and Maple Streets, and a special event space along Military Avenue from Maple to Binney streets. The project extends improvements already completed at the intersection of 58th and NW Radial to 59th and Maple in 2013.
Does that mean the EPS building is going away? Or does it just mean the empty lot behind it?
threeoutside
New to the Neighborhood

Post by threeoutside »

I followed that link but their font color is so light, and so small, I couldn't read it. I could embiggen it but the light gray color is not only unreadable, it's offensive. So many web sites are using that now that I have to believe they are deliberately disinviting certain readers. Like me.
Coyote
City Council

Re:

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:402 Arts Collective is doing work in this building on Maple Street.  Looks like a non profit music and arts space, http://402artscollective.org/

I was here tonight for their Monday Jam Open Mike Night and it was pretty cool. Raw talent getting experience of being on stage in front of a crowd, ok, a dozen or so of us, but this looks like a cool project...

http://Www.402artscollective.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ArchStanton13
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ArchStanton13 »

I can't go into details, unfortunately, but there should be a big announcement tomorrow regarding a new apartment complex going up in Benson. I will be very curious to see the reaction to it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ArchStanton13 wrote:I can't go into details, unfortunately, but there should be a big announcement tomorrow regarding a new apartment complex going up in Benson. I will be very curious to see the reaction to it.
At any certain time?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

ArchStanton13 wrote:I can't go into details, unfortunately, but there should be a big announcement tomorrow regarding a new apartment complex going up in Benson. I will be very curious to see the reaction to it.
Hopefully it's going where the old Walgreen's was...that's my guess anyway.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
ArchStanton13
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ArchStanton13 »

I apologize, I was told it would be this morning and nothing so far (and I would presume nothing until Friday with the holiday).

However, my understanding is the old Walgreen's will be a Salvation Army thrift shop. Try and contain your excitement.
ArchStanton13
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ArchStanton13 »

Also, DC Assessor does show the property is owned by them effective 11-25-13 so at least that part is accurate. The apartment complex would be near there--I do know that the Sinclair gas station was approached but declined.
ArchStanton13
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ArchStanton13 »

http://www.omaha.com/money/great-wester ... e4a4d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't go into details on the remodeling of the Benson Great Western Bank branch, but it will be on the ground floor of the apartment complex.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ArchStanton13 wrote:http://www.omaha.com/money/great-wester ... e4a4d.html

Doesn't go into details on the remodeling of the Benson Great Western Bank branch, but it will be on the ground floor of the apartment complex.
That will be great!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

$1.3 million Benson streetscape project may bloom in spring
Christopher Burbach: World-Herald staff writer wrote:The project will replace and widen sidewalks, erect new streetlights and create "pedestrian nodes" at corners. It will add new concrete seating. Some trees will be replaced, and some kept. New landscaping will include drought-resistant shrubs.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

It still amazes me the transformation this area has had since I left when I was little. Mind boggling really.
No posts exist for this topic
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

It's great to see Downtown Benson once again bustling as it did in its heyday....not that I was around way back then. :lol: Nice to see the density keep increasing with new plans for some infill on some of the previously less desirable properties.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Once Benson Theatre gets rehabbed that will make a huge difference in the improved look to Benson. I can't wait to see what Benson looks like 2-3 years from now.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I wish Benson Bakery would come back. I miss that place so much.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

MadMartin8 wrote:I wish Benson Bakery would come back. I miss that place so much.
Would be awesome if Le Quartier opened up in Benson.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:I wish Benson Bakery would come back. I miss that place so much.
When I lived in Lincoln I heard people mention the place, and I never got a chance to visit. Not sure why. I'll have to check it out here in Omaha... any good?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
When I lived in Lincoln I heard people mention the place, and I never got a chance to visit. Not sure why. I'll have to check it out here in Omaha...  any good?
Easily the best bread and bakery overall around.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Especially the Icelandic and Scandinavian foods they made.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

1912's kitchen opened yesterday...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:1912's kitchen opened yesterday...
Will be interesting to see how that works out. This place gets crazy busy on weekend nights just as a bar.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Cool!

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/thanks- ... 5d749.html
The Benson streetscape renovation project will extend for an additional block, thanks to a new donation of $175,000.

City Council President Pete Festersen said the money, volunteered last week by a donor who wishes to remain anonymous, will allow the city to install new, wider sidewalks, replace curbs and add street lights along Military Avenue from Binney Street to Northwest Radial Highway.

Previous plans called for re-doing only about one block along Military Avenue, from Maple Street to Binney Street. That block is where the Benson Farmers Market occurs.
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

Per the Benson-Ames Alliance Facebook page, the demolition of Louis started today.
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Lillian Bean wrote:Per the Benson-Ames Alliance Facebook page, the demolition of Louis started today.
Bring on the Bucky's.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Lillian Bean wrote:Per the Benson-Ames Alliance Facebook page, the demolition of Louis started today.
I hope somebody salvages the sign. I always thought it was kind of cool...in an Ernst Haas-1960's Albuquerque photo kind of way....

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

^^^

Bucky's said they are removing the sign and saving it for a future location in Benson.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bucky's structure is well on it's way up.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Hoping we hear something really soon about the streetscape bids sent out so that city council can approve and this can get rolling.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:Hoping we hear something really soon about the streetscape bids sent out so that city council can approve and this can get rolling.
100% agree.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

Dumpster sitting filled and a portajohn located outside old Marcus Motors... Ted and Wally's finally moving forward?