Old Union Pacific Headquarters Lot

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Old Union Pacific Headquarters Lot

Post by skinzfan23 »

NEDodger wrote:The surveyors appeared shortly after the apparent ruckus between OPA/HDR occurred.

How funny would it be if HDR became the main tenant for a Lanoha Tower? This would be the exact type of tenant they'd need to get that off the ground. Parking garage, some apartments, additional office space, HDR, and some condos on top.
I would be happy with that.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

I forgot that Lanoha has a different architectural company, though. I'd say the Civic site, but they'll still be kicking around whether that can be torn down in 2050.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

NEDodger wrote:I forgot that Lanoha has a different architectural company, though. I'd say the Civic site, but they'll still be kicking around whether that can be torn down in 2050.
Yeah TACKArchitects is doing Lanoha. I was thinking the Civic site as well, but if their problem is people who live on 111000000th and State complaining about the commute, then probably not. I'm awful at betting, but something tells me they're going to Boys Town.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

We're pretty far into this and the downtown location was announced long ago. I don't think this was complaints about the commute - this has "OPA astronomically jacking up the price of the parking lot" written all over it.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

NEDodger wrote:We're pretty far into this and the downtown location was announced long ago. I don't think this was complaints about the commute - this has "OPA astronomically jacking up the price of the parking lot" written all over it.
It would be hilarious is the city used eminent domain to acquire this lot. If your shenanigans cost the core a large potential client, you don't deserve to have that lot.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

RNcyanide wrote:
NEDodger wrote:I forgot that Lanoha has a different architectural company, though. I'd say the Civic site, but they'll still be kicking around whether that can be torn down in 2050.
Yeah TACKArchitects is doing Lanoha. I was thinking the Civic site as well, but if their problem is people who live on 111000000th and State complaining about the commute, then probably not. I'm awful at betting, but something tells me they're going to Boys Town.
With Boys Town not being part of Omaha, it would be a smart move.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

RNcyanide wrote:
NEDodger wrote:We're pretty far into this and the downtown location was announced long ago. I don't think this was complaints about the commute - this has "OPA astronomically jacking up the price of the parking lot" written all over it.
It would be hilarious is the city used eminent domain to acquire this lot. If your shenanigans cost the core a large potential client, you don't deserve to have that lot.

No doubt. Especially after they wanted the gouge the city for those three buildings.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

NEDodger wrote:The surveyors appeared shortly after the apparent ruckus between OPA/HDR occurred.

How funny would it be if HDR became the main tenant for a Lanoha Tower? This would be the exact type of tenant they'd need to get that off the ground. Parking garage, some apartments, additional office space, HDR, and some condos on top.
I'm so excited! Maybe something is brewing...

As much as I like things about the Lanoha Tower, and even more so, the Project 19 proposed for where the Civic Auditorium sits, I just don't know why our proposals always keep being these light & airy, glassy buildings, with ultra-modern lines. Sure, this architectural look is in-style & all, and it is popular architecture now. But, sometimes, I wish we had more buildings proposed that looked more heavy & solid, and had that nice-looking, rich "plaid pattern" incorporated into them. I don't know...

For example, the new twin buildings going up in Minneapolis have that look: Image
The Bancorp Tower in Minneapolis has that look (I think this look is perfect for Omaha): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... olis_1.jpg
Des Moines has that look downtown: Image
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Brad
City Council

Re: 1416 Dodge - Lanoha Highrise

Post by Brad »

Is there a rendering for this place?

Show me where it is and I can add it to the first post.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Brad wrote:Is there a rendering for this place?

Show me where it is and I can add it to the first post.
Here you go

http://www.tackarch.com/portfolio/1416-dodge/

The Bride
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

And this one from OWH 2013

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

If that was from 3 years ago, is it still current?
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Is that design still on? I like that type of architecture, and I do like the inward slant on the facade on the front. That little outward slant near the top: I get what the designer is going for; A lot of times those "flaps" slanting different angles off the facade are neat & attractive. But, I just feel that touch is a little much for Omaha (at this point). It is almost "pushing the envelope" a little too much, imo.

Designs should be examined closely and tweaked according to their environments to be sensitive, I feel. If you don't, then you a risk a building people are not overall pleased with in their city. I don't know if all architects & designers have that sense. For example, Chicago's skyline prides itself in being a "Museum of Modern Architecture" on display. The city seems to like having a fine example of everything. So, when the Saudi Arabia cities started getting eye-catching architecture & design that was appreciated around the world, Chicago took notice, and thus, I notice Chicago brought some of that type design into the city. There's a tall residential tower that looks kinda like the architecture you see in Dubai, and the Trump Tower has that kind of look, too. HOWEVER, the designs were tweaked a bit to fit an American cityscape.

Futhermore, the design of the Ameritrade HQ in Old Mill would look just fine in Aksarben Village as it is, I feel, but in Old Mill, that speckled-window broad backside should have been tweaked a bit, imo. It just isn't 100% appropriate for that area, and people notice, and then you get a bunch of complaints and unhappy citizens.

Buildings are basically here to stay -- especially new ones. So, it has to be 100% right -- no exceptions. It reminds me of that caption on the movie "American Beauty": LOOK CLOSER.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

RockHarbor wrote:Is that design still on?
My guess is that rendering is purely speculative and was just meant to show the potential of the land.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The details they gave in the WH article about it a while ago made it seem a little bit more than speculative, especially considering that Lanoha bought the land... I'm not saying that it's a go, but there is intent behind all of it.

The Bride
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

RockHarbor wrote:I like that type of architecture, and I do like the inward slant on the facade on the front. That little outward slant near the top: I get what the designer is going for; A lot of times those "flaps" slanting different angles off the facade are neat & attractive. But, I just feel that touch is a little much for Omaha (at this point). It is almost "pushing the envelope" a little too much, imo
IDK, IMO, this design is just a baby step in pushing the envelope a little bit. It fits in very nicely. And besides, the rendering still contains yet another flat top.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I will be a day dreamer for a minute; if it ever gets built, and if it follows the rendering, it looks like it would be 30 or so stories. That would be something. What are the odds that HDR calling off their downtown hq would actually help the chances this gets built? With office space occupancy remaining on the high side, it may make it seem more viable?
Go Cubs Go
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

thenewguy wrote:I will be a day dreamer for a minute; if it ever gets built, and if it follows the rendering, it looks like it would be 30 or so stories. That would be something. What are the odds that HDR calling off their downtown hq would actually help the chances this gets built? With office space occupancy remaining on the high side, it may make it seem more viable?
You already have office space opening up at the ConAgra campus, plus the office space being built at the Capitol District. From what I hear on Grow Omaha, the demand for office space downtown is already soft. It's too bad Wallstreet Towers never got built because it would have worked. Those condos probably would have been filled easily by now. But now you might be reaching the saturation point regarding downtown apartments. Especially when you can't get any employers to build downtown. The whole idea is not having to commute.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

OK, so it is more a speculative design... I see. Thanks!

Guy4Omaha: Yeah, I agree, it is a "baby step", but still, I feel a tiny "baby step" in the wrong direction. Maybe it is not "pushing the envelope", maybe that upper flap just is bit clunky to me, or something.

Anytime you do an outward flap like that, or an outward slant on the facade (verses an inward one), you really have to be extra-careful, imo. I think of Minneapolis' green "artichoke" building (AT&T) with the series of outward flaps. I think it is kind of neat & exciting, and I get what the designer was going for, yet still, I'm not sure it was a right choice for the city, and I can see why it arouses criticism in Minneapolis. (A Twin City Architecture Guide I have doesn't even mention that building.)

I was playing around with the rendering in Photoshop, and I would prefer something like this in Omaha, I think (simply a reversal of that inward slant on the other side). I would be way more excited by this building. It "pushes the envelope" a bit, but in a tasteful, smart, non-clunky, eye-pleasing way, imo. Those two slanting angles, cutting strikingly into the glassy facade, helps reduce some of the bulk of the building.

OTHER IDEA: Or, maybe that inward slant feature could be repeated as a reversal on the upper, opposite corner, not visible from this side, but visible from the other opposite side, leaving this side with a regular squarish upper side. (Yet, with this idea, the bulk wouldn't be helped from this side -- like the other idea.)

I don't know... Just messing around, but I just don't personally like that upper flap. I haven't liked it from the moment I first saw that design, and I still do not like it (for Omaha).
Attachments
5332e84e3c965.image.jpg
5332e84e3c965.image.jpg (167.62 KiB) Viewed 6479 times
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Good discussion RockHarbor, but I still like the edginess of the original Tack design more. It would be interesting to hear the architect's reasons behind the design. Maybe it was to create some very interesting eastern views from the offices, conference rooms, or bedrooms that jut out from the top of the north facade. Kind of like the new glass observation deck on the Willis tower to a lesser extent. Anyway, thanks for enlivening the discussion on this site over the last few days! Another thing...sometimes designers have to tell people why they should like it, before they will. There is an old saying that says "if they like it right away, it must not be good enough." They've likely seen something like it before.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

GetUrban wrote:Good discussion RockHarbor, but I still like the edginess of the original Tack design more. It would be interesting to hear the architect's reasons behind the design. Maybe it was to create some very interesting eastern views from the offices, conference rooms, or bedrooms that jut out from the top of the north facade. Kind of like the new glass observation deck on the Willis tower to a lesser extent. Anyway, thanks for enlivening the discussion on this site over the last few days! Another thing...sometimes designers have to tell people why they should like it, before they will. There is an old saying that says "if they like it right away, it must not be good enough." They've likely seen something like it before.
That's cool, GetUrban. We all have different tastes. :) It was just a quick example of something I liked the lines of better... (I figured some people would like the original design better just for the fact that I'm not an architect, just simply a board member...)

Architects usually get things right, but plenty of mistakes have been made out there, too. Other times, it is like their vision simply isn't understood by people at the time. I try to remember that, too, when I don't like something right-off-the-bat. (I think of the outrage the unusual TransAmerica Pyramid caused in San Francisco. But, now...a beloved landmark San Franciscans are proud of.)

Mentioning the eastward views: Funny, earlier, I was wondering if that flap even had any meaning. Or, was it simply a "bell & whistle" meant to "wow" people, and look modern & futuristic? If it had meaning & thoughtfulness, I might find I like it better.

I know there are a lot of talented architects out there, but I don't feel all necessarily have a sense to design something that really "fits a town" just right. For example, an architect might be commissioned to design a project in Omaha, but that designer might come up with a modern, glassy building he would also gladly use in Bangkok, or Dallas, or Columbus. Other architects, like Cesar Pelli, and even I feel Leo A. Daly, have created architecture that shows me they must feel & consider things deeper -- like the "spirit of the town" in their designs.

For example, I don't think Leo A. Daly could have done a better job at designing Omaha's tallest. Why? Because you have this beautiful tower that stands lofty over the city, and somehow captures the "spirit of Omaha", yet creates an exciting new look here, too. It is familiar white (like the Woodmen), has strong vertical lines (like a lot of our buildings), its stair-stepping, abrupt side profile is familiar to our hearts & minds (sort of like Mutual's strong prolific building along Dodge). Yet, he has those gradual upward slants on the front, curving glass on both sides, and a unique, ribbed, glowing cap on the top -- all new exciting architectural features here. And, although taller, it allows the Woodmen to still have personality & shine. It was just perfect, imo.

On the same token, I don't think every new building downtown necessarily needs to perfectly try & capture the "spirit of the town." Sometimes, the town is ready & needing a statement that is brand new, imo. Helmut Jahn is another one of my favorite architects, and I don't feel like his buildings really are always perfectly sensitive to the city, but still, I do like a lot of them.

I just want "perfect" here. That's all. :)
Last edited by RockHarbor on Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

GETURBAN: I was playing around with the design again in Photoshop, wanting & trying to keep the flap w/ the eastward views, and I decided I would like the flap more if it descended down the entire length of the building better, on this design. It would work (I've seen plenty of designs like that, with a full-length flap.) I have to say with the flap: I do like the edginess in a way (like you like), and I like the contrasts in different shades of glass. I just don't warm up to that original design, although I want to.

Something like this I mean (just for fun, to ponder...)
Attachments
5332e84e3c965.image (1).jpg
5332e84e3c965.image (1).jpg (169.57 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

RockHarbor wrote: (partial quote)
I know there are a lot of talented architects out there, but I don't feel all necessarily have a sense to design something that really "fits a town" just right. For example, an architect might be commissioned to design a project in Omaha, but that designer might come up with a modern, glassy building he would also gladly use in Bangkok, or Dallas, or Columbus. Other architects, like Cesar Pelli, and even I feel Leo A. Daly, have created architecture that shows me they must feel & consider things deeper -- like the "spirit of the town" in their designs.

For example, I don't think Leo A. Daly could have done a better job at designing Omaha's tallest. Why? Because you have this beautiful tower that stands lofty over the city, and somehow captures the "spirit of Omaha", yet creates an exciting new look here, too. It is familiar white (like the Woodmen), has strong vertical lines (like a lot of our buildings), its stair-stepping, abrupt side profile is familiar to our hearts & minds (sort of like Mutual's strong prolific building along Dodge). Yet, he has those gradual upward slants on the front, curving glass on both sides, and a unique, ribbed, glowing cap on the top -- all new exciting architectural features here. And, although taller, it allows the Woodmen to still have personality & shine. It was just perfect, imo.
I believe you are referring to Architectural Contextualism, which is basically designing a new building to blend-in or to not draw undue attention to itself. I agree a city needs a good portion, say 75% to 80%, of the buildings designed this way to have it's own identity that makes the city unique. (Paris, for example) This can be achieved by using similar materials, massing, etc. on the majority of the buildings. I would say most architects design this way, mainly so they don't get run out of town and can do repeat work in a city. To keep things interesting, the other 20-25% of the buildings should be one-of-a kind "signature" buildings that are a work of art themselves. Most of Frank Gehry's work fits this category, such as the Disney Concert Hall in L.A., or the Wiesman Art Museum in Minneapolis, or the Guggenheim Art Museum in Bilbao Spain. The Chrysler Building in NYC is a rare example of a building that is contextual on the lower parts and also a signature building on top. Dubai is an example of a city where the context is all signature buildings...many with no relation or context other than height.

Unfortunately, Omaha has destroyed a good portion of the historic and non-historic buildings which formed its background architectural context, almost to the point of downtown being a blank slate in need of a new context. The context exists somewhat, but needs to be re-established and strengthened. So I think we agree for the most part, but Omaha might be lacking in the "wow" department, imo. The best buildings respect the context, but also add something to it, expanding the richness of the context.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

GetUrban wrote: I believe you are referring to Architectural Contextualism, which is basically designing a new building to blend-in or to not draw undue attention to itself. I agree a city needs a good portion, say 75% to 80%, of the buildings designed this way to have it's own identity that makes the city unique. (Paris, for example) This can be achieved by using similar materials, massing, etc. on the majority of the buildings. I would say most architects design this way, mainly so they don't get run out of town and can do repeat work in a city. To keep things interesting, the other 20-25% of the buildings should be one-of-a kind "signature" buildings that are a work of art themselves. Most of Frank Gehry's work fits this category, such as the Disney Concert Hall in L.A., or the Wiesman Art Museum in Minneapolis, or the Guggenheim Art Museum in Bilbao Spain. The Chrysler Building in NYC is a rare example of a building that is contextual on the lower parts and also a signature building on top. Dubai is an example of a city where the context is all signature buildings...many with no relation or context other than height.

Unfortunately, Omaha has destroyed a good portion of the historic and non-historic buildings which formed its background architectural context, almost to the point of downtown being a blank slate in need of a new context. The context exists somewhat, but needs to be re-established and strengthened. So I think we agree for the most part, but Omaha might be lacking in the "wow" department, imo. The best buildings respect the context, but also add something to it, expanding the richness of the context.
Couldn't agree more. Nice post.

My favorite architect overall, Cesar Pelli, created skyscrapers with a lot of that "architectural contextualism" you mention, and they fit into the city perfectly, while being the tallest & grandest on the skyline. You see that in Charlotte & Winstom-Salem, and in Cleveland, and in his Minneapolis tower, and his twin circular towers in Mexico City. His newest stuff seems less concerned with that contextualism now, although he is still ultra-sharp & tasteful with his modern designs. His firm's work (and firms like S.O.M.) amazes me -- especially with their new Asian skyscrapers. Some of that type stuff would be too much for Omaha, at this point, I feel.

"The Spirit of the town": I was thinking what that consists of to an architect, and what they use to capture it. It has to be a blend of the existing cityscape & maybe history & culture that plays in the hearts & minds of the people living there. I'm not quite sure.

I agree about Omaha taking too much "old" away (as I also kinda feel that w/ Des Moines). You can feel it down there. We dare not remove a thing more -- which is why I was glad that frenzy occurred with the mention of taking away some historic buildings with HDR's new headquarters. A frenzy should occur.

Have a good day/evening...
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

choke wrote:
thenewguy wrote:I will be a day dreamer for a minute; if it ever gets built, and if it follows the rendering, it looks like it would be 30 or so stories. That would be something. What are the odds that HDR calling off their downtown hq would actually help the chances this gets built? With office space occupancy remaining on the high side, it may make it seem more viable?
You already have office space opening up at the ConAgra campus, plus the office space being built at the Capitol District. From what I hear on Grow Omaha, the demand for office space downtown is already soft. It's too bad Wallstreet Towers never got built because it would have worked. Those condos probably would have been filled easily by now. But now you might be reaching the saturation point regarding downtown apartments. Especially when you can't get any employers to build downtown. The whole idea is not having to commute.
Pretty much this ^

After Shamrock, I'd expect downtown development to really level off for quite some time, as most local, major employers have recently/or will have undergone expansions or new constructions for their headquarters, leaving far fewer opportunities for something on this scale to happen.

I'd guess a condo tower being next, but not proposed any time in the next 5 years.
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

S33 wrote:
choke wrote:
Pretty much this ^

After Shamrock, I'd expect downtown development to really level off for quite some time, as most local, major employers have recently/or will have undergone expansions or new constructions for their headquarters, leaving far fewer opportunities for something on this scale to happen.

I'd guess a condo tower being next, but not proposed any time in the next 5 years.
Not sure what the next development will be (condo, office, mixed use, etc...), but I do agree that it would be a classic case of "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me", for anyone to be holding their breath in anticipation of Lanoha and/or Tetrad actually coming to fruition downtown and salving the HDR wound anytime soon.
"In Heaven there is no beer. That's why we drink it here." -Plato (Probably. No one is really sure.)
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Tiny update, but they put signs up here marketing for "Corporate Office Space" along with the rendering that we have already seen.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Stothert said one of the contract details that the city required of Tetrad was to get a major office tenant with at least 1,500 employees to anchor 400k square feet of office space in a high rise.

Any ideas on if the Lanoha high rise will grab whoever Tetrad was negotiating with?
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

CyborgKen wrote:Stothert said one of the contract details that the city required of Tetrad was to get a major office tenant with at least 1,500 employees to anchor 400k square feet of office space in a high rise.

Any ideas on if the Lanoha high rise will grab whoever Tetrad was negotiating with?
One of my best friends works for Lanoha Development - said last week that they were trying to sell the land. Had nothing in the works.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

obvious2677 wrote:
CyborgKen wrote:Stothert said one of the contract details that the city required of Tetrad was to get a major office tenant with at least 1,500 employees to anchor 400k square feet of office space in a high rise.

One of my best friends works for Lanoha Development - said last week that they were trying to sell the land. Had nothing in the works.
Oh really? Someone else said that the Mayor mentioned Lanoha had approached her recently about a possible development on that site.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

CyborgKen wrote:
obvious2677 wrote:

Oh really? Someone else said that the Mayor mentioned Lanoha had approached her recently about a possible development on that site.
That was Mayor Jean herself. She said in her 3pm presser on Tuesday that reps from Lanoha met with her recently about a possible development plan for the UP property...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
CyborgKen wrote:
obvious2677 wrote:

That was Mayor Jean herself. She said in her 3pm presser on Tuesday that reps from Lanoha met with her recently about a possible development plan for the UP property...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
That wouldn't surprise me - you have another, competing, major development fall apart two blocks away. Without knowing what the city offered Lonoha to develop the UP site - it could be possible that Jason called the mayor and said, "Sweeten our deal and we'll get something moving..."? Just reporting what my friend told me last week.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

obvious2677 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
CyborgKen wrote:
obvious2677 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
That wouldn't surprise me - you have another, competing, major development fall apart two blocks away. Without knowing what the city offered Lonoha to develop the UP site - it could be possible that Jason called the mayor and said, "Sweeten our deal and we'll get something moving..."? Just reporting what my friend told me last week.
A family friend is the project manager for the Landmark Building renovation and he said the biggest hold up to developing the Lanoha site is that when the old UP building was demolished, the foundation was basically but off at ground level. So whoever does develop the site will have to remove the old foundation, which will be very expensive.
Last edited by Doctor Fate on Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

I messaged the Mayor's page on Facebook and asked about this site. Just to confirm what Cowboy said, the response was, "Lanoha Development is actively working on this site". Good news, I would think!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

CyborgKen wrote:I messaged the Mayor's page on Facebook and asked about this site. Just to confirm what Cowboy said, the response was, "Lanoha Development is actively working on this site". Good news, I would think!
Meh... They've been "actively working" on it for five years.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
CyborgKen wrote:I messaged the Mayor's page on Facebook and asked about this site. Just to confirm what Cowboy said, the response was, "Lanoha Development is actively working on this site". Good news, I would think!
Right! But that message from the FB page goes along with what Cowboy said about the Mayor saying in her presser that reps from Lanoha spoke with her recently about possible development of the site.

Like I said before though, a friend who is the project manager of the Landmark Building renovation said that the foundation of the old UP building is underground on the site. So it will be very expensive for Lanoha, or whoever develops the site. He also said that his company is been very interested in any potential project there.
Last edited by Doctor Fate on Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

CyborgKen wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Right? But that message from the FB page goes along with what Cowboy said about the Mayor saying in her presser that reps from Lanoha spoke with her recently about possible development of the site.

Like I said before though, a friend who is the project manager of the Landmark Building renovation said that UP left the foundation of their old building under the ground on the site. So it will be very expensive for Lanoha, or whoever develops the site. He also said that his company has been very interested in any potential project there.
Curious about that.... They definitely excavated 10-15 feet down, as I watched from a nearby building. FNB Tower's pier cap is only 12.5 feet, with 28, 7.5-foot-wide drilled shafts that go down another 63 feet to bedrock, that support the elevator shafts. I am guessing UP's old HQ didn't used drilled shafts.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

obvious2677 wrote:
CyborgKen wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Right? But that message from the FB page goes along with what Cowboy said about the Mayor saying in her presser that reps from Lanoha spoke with her recently about possible development of the site.

Like I said before though, a friend who is the project manager of the Landmark Building renovation said that UP left the foundation of their old building under the ground on the site. So it will be very expensive for Lanoha, or whoever develops the site. He also said that his company has been very interested in any potential project there.
Curious about that.... They definitely excavated 10-15 feet down, as I watched from a nearby building. FNB Tower's pier cap is only 12.5 feet, with 28, 7.5-foot-wide drilled shafts that go down another 63 feet to bedrock, that support the elevator shafts. I am guessing UP's old HQ didn't used drilled shafts.
I don't know much about that stuff. Does a building have to be a certain height before drilled shafts are used?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

CyborgKen wrote:
obvious2677 wrote:
CyborgKen wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:

I don't know much about that stuff. Does a building have to be a certain height before drilled shafts are used?
I'm not positive to what extent they took the demolition of the original UP buildings, but in order to really get the site ready for new construction, especially a high rise, they would want to start with a clean site, free of all of the original foundations. If the original building had concrete-filled drilled shafts to bedrock, they might attempt to utilize those in the new design. if it just had pile-driven wood or steel "friction" type foundations, which seems more likely for an older building, they'd start from scratch for the new foundations and would want as much of the old construction out of the way as possible.
I looked through the old Wallstreet thread in the Unbuilt section of this forum, and it looked like everything was eventually removed in the discussion about the demolition process.
Here's a link that shows the difference types of foundations typically used:
http://www.understandconstruction.com/t ... tions.html
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

CyborgKen wrote:
obvious2677 wrote:
CyborgKen wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:

No, but if you're putting a new 30+ story building there (what Wallstreet/Lanoha was/is going to be), you're doing drilled shafts. What I'm saying is, depending on what (if anything) is in the ground there, there's a chance that they could work around it. Would it be more challenging? Maybe - definitely would require more pre-work and possible several different designs (location of the shafts may have to change, if there is stuff in the ground).

But, that being said, Wallstreet did plan to build - and you wouldn't purposely leave a ton of footings in the ground if you were intending to construct - or you could potentially leave them and use them as part of the development (as GetUrban states) - either way, I'm skeptical that someone would purposely do that.