Omaha Conservatory of Music (70th & Cass)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Re: Row Houses (70th & Cass)

Post by guitarguy »

Coyote wrote:How about pretentious avant-garde musician class dudes...
Whats wrong with that? Those people are super cool! .. actually thats one the reasons why I stopped going to music school. In all honesty if this place is sweet I'll probably go here to take lessons.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Omaha Conservatory of Music (70th & Cass)

Post by Coyote »

Finally looked them up. How long have they been at that 108th St. location.? I remember playing on that football field in the 70's (a friend broke his leg in that game), what school used to be there, what else us there now? The must have more financial backers than I thought...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: what school used to be there, what else us there now?
Valley View Jr High. When I went to Westside it was called the CEC building. Community Education Center. There was talk of re-opening it as a JR high, but I think they have moved away from that now.

I am not sure, but I thought the Alternative Highschool was there now for D66.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I think I took my driver's ed classes there, if I am thinking of the right place.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RNcyanide wrote:I think I took my driver's ed classes there, if I am thinking of the right place.
The building with the dome gym next to the I80/I680 interchange.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Brad wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:I think I took my driver's ed classes there, if I am thinking of the right place.
The building with the dome gym next to the I80/I680 interchange.
Yup!! That's it!!
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Wasn't the 108th and Grover site a planetarium at one point? If that's the correct building, I vaguely remember going to it for a field trip once.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

bigredmed wrote:About to get blasted for this, but here it goes:

That neighborhood has two exits to the south and west.  One is Cass street and one is Fonda (69th) street.  This leaves a neighborhood with two exits that will fill up with apartment traffic really fast.  The Conservatory would drain out onto Cass and not be a problem.  I have to think that with their influence, someone showed the city council the road use projections from even a small apartment complex and persuaded them to approve this instead.

Not that I necessarily agree with the decision, but I am not surprised by it.  

Apartments in this town have a habit of going scummy in a few years.  For a while they are the new hotness and all the young up and comers want to live there.  Then the next new hotness opens and the place declines.  Not sure I would want to own a property like a house in Fair Acres that expensive and have it butt up against a college crash pad.
They did traffic studies that said the streets here are built to handle the minor increase in traffic that these apartments would of created. There is nothing to suggest that apartment dwellers wouldn't of drained onto Cass or 69th just like OCM. A UNO student wouldn't enter the neighborhood, a resident that works west of 72nd or in A/V wouldn't enter the neighborhood. Heck some one that works in Midtown/Downtown wouldn't go through the neighborhood because Dodge is the quicker route. Some one going out to Benson, probably takes 72nd north. What happened here is that they neighborhood was able to thwart a development that was to cost upwards of $50 million dollars at the beginning. We lost an opportunity for increased tax revenue and increased density(decreasing the tax burden in the area) because people were able to throw a big enough fit to affect a development that could of been the first step to a drastically improved Crossroads area.

Omaha likes to tout itself as a great city to do business in and that people should be able to do what they want on their property, example being the house torn down along Farnam, Dundee CVS and the Clarindia-Page. I guess the only people that get to dictate what others do with their property are the ones on the "nice" side of Dundee. Those less influential east Dundee "hipsters" and Midtowners voices aren't as important.

I thought the slimmed down apartment number with OCM was a perfect compromise. Get an awesome venue for the community and some fresh investment in an area of the city that could really use the shot in the arm. Now we have wasted a developers time and money. I hope they pursue a project half this ambitious near me. I would be thrilled.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

iamjacobm wrote:
bigredmed wrote:About to get blasted for this, but here it goes:

Omaha likes to tout itself as a great city to do business in and that people should be able to do what they want on their property, example being the house torn down along Farnam, Dundee CVS and the Clarindia-Page.  I guess the only people that get to dictate what others do with their property are the ones on the "nice" side of Dundee.  Those less influential east Dundee "hipsters" and Midtowners voices aren't as important.
Of course Dundee is biased in favor of the "cool kids". Go east from 50th and you might as well live in another state as far as the city is concerned. This has been this way since the 80's at least.

This is the way Omaha works and is one of the shadows that all developers will have to deal with. The people who live in the cool kid clubs like it that way. The people who live in the "might as well be Iowa" parts of the city are easily reminded of the last time they got jobbed. Think about the people in the older parts of Millard. Scattered site housing flooded their neighborhoods and really brought down property values. Somehow, Dundee still doesn't have their proper share of these units. Trust me, the people in Millard are keeping track.

The fruit of the poisonous tree of years of letting one group of people run things. Some people will fight out of reflex fear of all development (due to past legitimate screw overs), and others (like these people) will fight out of genuine concern that they will have a bunch of state university kids wandering drunk between their student ghetto apartment and Dundee. (Maybe out of guilt for having screwed others to get their way in the past?)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This now looks like it will be sales Cass Place, with Music School Development Corp, LLC behind the project...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Wow! This is going to really give Strauss at UNO some serious competition. Looks awesome I think. 8)
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Love to see the NIMBYs kvetch about this.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

guitarguy wrote:Wow! This is going to really give Strauss at UNO some serious competition. Looks awesome I think. 8)
Adding this to the Community Playhouse is giving us amazing resources for the arts in the heart of the city. Fantastic assets for the community.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A $4.3M project.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

They've been going full tilt on this one for a while. There aren't any great places for shots nor a sing with a render. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's open by sommer.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The drive into here is open I didn't have time to go up and check it out but maybe that means it's getting close.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There appeared to be an event here today, cars in the parking lot, people on the patio...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/living/photos-vide ... 532d0.html
The building — 40,000 square feet on eight acres — was renovated throughout and now has nearly soundproof music studios and a 500-seat concert hall, among other features. The school had a capital campaign to finance the $15 million project.

We visited the site in January, when faculty and staff moved in. Classes started shortly after that, even though some spaces still were a work in progress.

Now the building is finished — and filled with about 40 instructors, some 500 students and lots of sound. At least one community group — the Nebraska Wind Symphony — has played a public concert in the new hall.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

There's also a small coffee shop -- Accelerando Coffee House -- at the west entrance, open to the public.

http://accelerandocoffeehouse.com/
Coyote
City Council

Omaha Conservatory of Music

Post by Coyote »

Introducing Air Guitar Explorers!

Learn more and enroll today at omahacm.org/airguitar
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Cass Street Trick 'R' Treat
Oct. 22nd., Sat at 9:00AM - 12:00PM
Omaha Conservatory of Music
7023 Cass Street

A free, family-friendly Halloween carnival with games, candy, and a zombie orchestra!

Bring the whole family for a ghoulishly-good time at Cass Street Trick-or-Treat - a free Halloween carnival at Omaha Conservatory of Music on Sat. October 22 from 9am-noon. Play games, win candy, and get your ghastly groove on to our delightfully-spooky zombie orchestra! Dress up if you dare - costumes are encouraged! This free family-friendly event is presented by Omaha Conservatory of Music, Omaha Community Playhouse and Omaha Academy of Ballet. Learn more at omahacm.org/trick
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Orchestra Omaha's American Experiences Concert featuring a World Premiere Eric Ewazen Piano Concerto
Feb. 11th. Sat at 7:00PM - 8:30PM
7023 Cass St

Orchestra Omaha will perform the world premiere of American composer Eric Ewazen’s Piano Concerto during its Feb. 11 concert, titled “American Experiences.

Pianist and dedicatee of Ewzazen’s concerto, Tammy Miller, is set to perform the piece with Orchestra Omaha during a one-night performance. To complete the program, Orchestra Omaha will also perform Antonín Dvořák’s Suite in A Major, subtitled the “American Suite,” and Samuel Coleridge-Taylor’s “The Song of Hiawatha.”
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Youth talent show finale brings many to Omaha Conservatory of Music

All walks of talent made their way to the Omaha Conservatory of Music for the Grand Finale Talent Show. It was held by Omaha's Mobile Stage Youth Talent Show. Talent has no age limits — some younger, some older — but the common theme among all is their love for performing.