Omaha Conservatory of Music (70th & Cass)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

lmdramos
Library Board

Omaha Conservatory of Music (70th & Cass)

Post by lmdramos »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140217/N ... rban-style" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
bilde-1.jpeg
bilde-1.jpeg (1.47 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
bilde.jpeg
bilde.jpeg (25.87 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Row Houses (70th & Cass)

Post by iamjacobm »

Cool! This will do great near Crossroads.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Love this idea!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This is the same property that the neighbors freaked out about last time... Hope the developer has better luck.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I only note the irony that Temple Israel would be replaced with a development designed by a guy named Christian Christensen. Only in America.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Brad wrote:This is the same property that the neighbors freaked out about last time...  Hope the developer has better luck.
I think the neighbors will be much more in favor of it this time, since it is targeted toward a somewhat older demographic, plus its less dense, and based on proposed appearance of the buildings and Bluestone's recent positive track record elsewhere in Omaha they should be happy the property could be developed this way. This will compliment the new Crossroads development well. There will probably be some complaints about increased traffic, but it seems the traffic would be no greater than Temple Israel & Crossroads used to generate in their heyday.
The six lanes of traffic on Dodge and 72nd nearby should handle it well.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Ugly
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

MTO wrote:Ugly
They look pretty good to me.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bluestone has really ramped up their project size. Going from around 20 in North Downtown to almost 50 in Little Italy to 150 in Midtown and now 430 in the Crossroads area.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

GetUrban wrote:
Brad wrote:There will probably be some complaints about increased traffic, but it seems the traffic would be no greater than Temple Israel & Crossroads used to generate in their heyday. The six lanes of traffic on Dodge and 72nd nearby should handle it well.
My hope is that a good amount of these people will make the short walk over to 72nd and Cass to use the good variety of bus routes that stop right at that corner. I think the prospect of crossing the intersection multiple times a day would be more of a deterrent than anything. I wonder if a pedestrian bridge over that intersection would be something to strongly consider in the future.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nativeomahan wrote:I only note the irony that Temple Israel would be replaced with a development designed by a guy named Christian Christensen.  Only in America.
Both St John the Baptist Greek Orthodox church and the Baptist church near by were originally synagogues. They moved west, and sold the buildings.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

...They will only be happy with a deteriorating property.

http://www.ketv.com/news/neighbors-oppo ... l/25160852
An Omaha neighborhood is fighting the city over a proposed development they believe will increase traffic and change the character of the area.

Bluestone Development wants to construct two four-story apartment buildings near 69th and Cass streets at the site of the former Temple Israel.

Omaha’s Planning Department said the proposed project carries out the goals of the city's master plan, but neighbors say 450 apartment units are not suitable for the Fairacres neighborhood.

"People look at the character of Dundee and Memorial Park and Fairacres. We have trees, walkways, bushes and we have parks," said Anne Roberts. "All of a sudden, within a year and a half, you'll have apartments at the Crossroads Mall site and apartments here -- that's a lot of density thrown on a vital neighborhood."
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

At some point this property will become what most would consider an eyesore. If they somehow bring this project to a stop they will regret it. I know If I were a potential developer I wouldn't want to spend the time and money to plan something if I knew the neighbors wouldn't allow it. What do they want? :shrug:

Although I wonder if a street reconfiguration would be in hand. I mean I can understand their concerns with traffic, but I think they're overestimating.

Maybe something like this would direct more traffic to Dodge street

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's a great idea Bus Guy!
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I live in Dundee and love this project and the steps the developer is taking to integrate into the neighborhood by creating Row Houses. I get that Dundee is a very expensive area...I just wish that Dundee would get off its "high horse" and realize this project is good for the entire area...including Crossroads Village. I just don't understand my neighborhood sometimes.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am guessing the people in Dundee 58th-45th ish are a little different than the people that live 58th-69th in Fairacres....
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Redirecting the traffic is not a good idea. The infrastructure is built to handle what is proposed. Spending time disconnecting or gerrymandering streets to improve the perception of neighbors is why you cant get anywhere in West O without being on an arterial. There are already 2 or 3 disconnected streets from that neighborhood that are not ideal, based upon similar complaints.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am not going to argue with you since you know more about traffic, but at least his plan diverts traffic rather than just dropping in a "Dead End" like they have done in the past. People heading east would either need to turn back towards Dodge Street or go a bit more out of their way to cut through Fairacres and Dundee, but they can still get through.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

cdub wrote:Redirecting the traffic is not a good idea.  The infrastructure is built to handle what is proposed.  Spending time disconnecting or gerrymandering streets to improve the perception of neighbors is why you cant get anywhere in West O without being on an arterial.  There are already 2 or 3 disconnected streets from that neighborhood that are not ideal, based upon similar complaints.
I always prefer neighborhoods with a strong grid of redundant streets, vs artierials and cul-de-sacs. The popularity of cul-de-sacs and isolated street systems has been perpetuated by city planning guidelines that were based on some flawed safety studies that suggested cul-de-sacs reduced pedestrian accidents. In reality, they really just shift all those accidents to the much more dangerous high-capacity arterials. On top of that, they discourage walking, even if they are built with sidewalks.

Bottom line, I'd much rather live in a grid neighborhood than one that's divided up.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I like the grid two. One of my favorite things about living in East O.

However I don't think his proposed round-a-bout closes off the grid, it just shifts the intersection a bit. In fact, it could even re-connect the grid a bit because they could re-open Hackberry which they closed off about a decade ago.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I never understood why so many people use Underwood as an alternative to Dodge during rush periods. It can't be faster than Dodge given that Dodge Street traffic lights are timed to keep traffic flowing. With all its stops and single lane, the only way it can be faster to use underwood is if you speed a considerable amount.

I think the residents of the Fairacres neighborhood would be on board for the realignment I suggested. If you add that extra element to the intersection, In my opinion it puts Underwood past the point of being a convenient commuter road. And like brad said, it doesn't disconnect anything. It just moves the intersection and adds another element to the equation for people considering using Underwood as a through street.

Maybe we shouldn't be reconstructing roads just because the neighbors don't want a bunch of people living in their back yard, but it would be something to consider if they insist on killing any good living development for that site.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

People use Underwood because you can't turn left on Dodge. I use Underwood because even though I live just south of Dodge, I get bored driving Dodge to Farnam and like to look at the houses along Underwood occasionally.
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Post by Choleric »

Busguy2010 wrote:I never understood why so many people use Underwood as an alternative to Dodge during rush periods.  It can't be faster than Dodge given that Dodge Street traffic lights are timed to keep traffic flowing.  With all its stops and single lane, the only way it can be faster to use underwood is if you speed a considerable amount.

I think the residents of the Fairacres neighborhood would be on board for the realignment I suggested.  If you add that extra element to the intersection, In my opinion it puts Underwood past the point of being a convenient commuter road.  And like brad said, it doesn't disconnect anything. It just moves the intersection and adds another element to the equation for people considering using Underwood as a through street.

Maybe we shouldn't be reconstructing roads just because the neighbors don't want a bunch of people living in their back yard, but it would be something to consider if they insist on killing any good living development for that site.
I use Underwood almost exclusively, live around 52nd and Chicago. It is actually much quicker both going East from 90th&Dodge and West from Happy Hollow, especially during peak times. Just between Happy Hollow and 72nd there are 6 or 7 traffic lights (all the UNO lights) that you can be stopped at on Dodge versus one stop sign and one stop light on Underwood. Traffic moves much faster on Cass from 72nd to where it merges with Dodge than the same stretch on Dodge as well.

Also the Left hand turn lisanstan mentioned is a big reason why too if your traveling East and live North of Dodge.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Laid over for a few weeks, this project us back on Wednesday's Planning Board Agenda.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140401/M ... -neighbors
The Omaha Planning Board is scheduled to consider the plan, along with Bluestone's requests for rezoning the property and for tax-increment financing, at its April meeting. The meeting will be at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at City Hall, 1819 Farnam St.

Neighbors have sent the city more than two dozen emails and letters opposing the development. The Fairacres Homeowners Association voted to oppose it. So did the Dundee-Memorial Park Association Board of Directors, although a director noted that board members weren't necessarily speaking for their entire membership.

By Monday afternoon, an online petition against the proposed rezoning had garnered 700 signatures.

Foes contend the apartments would house too many people, would cause traffic problems, wouldn't fit in with the neighborhood and would lower Fairacres' allure, thus its homeowners' property values.

The neighbors have gained at least one ally, Pete Festersen, president of the City Council, which will eventually decide the issue.
Blah, not really encouraging.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

They want to fight this development? Fine, put in section 8 housing on that spot instead. Time to get over our NIMBY temper tantrums.
No posts exist for this topic
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Christopher Burbach, OWH wrote:@owhnews Susie Buffett joins nbrhood opponents of 70th & Cass apartments. She says they'd fill up with UNO students, "not a good idea."
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It was nice knowing you Cass Place.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

And what exactly is wrong with UNO students...?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Then Again...

Apartment complex near 70th & Cass gets Planning Board OK

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140402/N ... g-board-ok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christopher Burbach / World-Herald staff writer wrote: The former Temple Israel synagogue should be replaced with an apartment complex, the Omaha Planning Board said Wednesday.

After hearing neighborhood opposition to the plans, the Planning Board voted 4-1 to endorse a proposal from Christian Christensen's Bluestone Development to build two buildings with a combined 430 apartments at 7023 Cass St.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The City Council is going to have to upset off some wealthy potential donors if they pass it. Festersen pretty much has to vote no if he wants to be be reelected.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:The City Council is going to have to upset off some wealthy potential donors if they pass it.  Festersen pretty much has to vote no if he wants to be be reelected.
It will be just like Gernandt and Rosenblatt.

He votes no, all other vote yes and then they build it and he looks like he tried.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Hope that is how it works out! Not sure what kind of sway Festersen has since he is the president of the council.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

At the end of the previous article they mentioned that another church is looking at purchasing the property and moving in if the apartments fall through. So at least there's that.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:At the end of the previous article they mentioned that another church is looking at purchasing the property and moving in if the apartments fall through. So at least there's that.

But what if UNO students go to the church?!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Linkin5 wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:At the end of the previous article they mentioned that another church is looking at purchasing the property and moving in if the apartments fall through. So at least there's that.

But what if UNO students go to the church?!

Ewwwwwww
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I thought the potential church buyer showing up to fight the current proposal was pretty slimy.

Also, for any of those wanting to get into the development biz, its now easier as all it takes to be a traffic expert is a drivers license. Apply for a new job today!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

$6.2 million TIF request in next week's agenda. Says 248 underground parking stalls with 274 surface stalls.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

KETV video update on the people trying to stop the development. Nice looking rendering showing a pretty impressive view from Dodge too.

http://www.ketv.com/news/Angst-Over-Apartments/26170784
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

WTH is wrong with these rich people who think this really affects them? This is outside their neighborhood and will only add to the tax base of the area. Don't they realize they live in the center of the city and this is bound to happen?! This will happen whether they like it or not. In a free market, they should have no say in what gets developed. Isn't this their whole point in government? You can't be hypocritical and have anyone take you seriously. And I guarantee you that this is exactly all their views - except when it comes to them of course.