Vinton Street Business District

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Vinton Street Business District

Post by iamjacobm »

Multiple resolutions in next week's agenda about Vinton St.

Most interesting of which is to amend the Master Plan to include increased residential density centered around historic Vinton.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Re: Vinton Street Business District

Post by SaveOmaha »

I really like the Vinton Street Business District. I think it's one of the most unique streets in Omaha. It was also featured as Restore Omaha's latest neighborhood tour. Awesome building stock too.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

It is one of my favorite little neighborhoods as well.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ok, I have looked and looked and looked. Where did the other thread about the Vinton Street Master Plan go? Did we loose it in one of the crashes of the old server? I can remember discussing spaces for artists and more restaurants and shops.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I was looking for that the other day also. I know we have posts about restaurants and businesses in other threads but not under the Vinton Street label.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

That is a really cool little area. To be honest, I didn't even know about it until I accidentally drove through it just a few weeks ago. I don't even live that far away, hahaha!

It has a ton of potential, and would really be a great, walkable neighborhood with some investment.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Seth wrote:That is a really cool little area. To be honest, I didn't even know about it until I accidentally drove through it just a few weeks ago.
I also didn't know about this area either until I accidentally drove through it one time. I was amazed that a neighborhood like this existed in Omaha.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

It certainly doesn't feel like a destination neighborhood, but maybe folks nearby like it that way.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The butcher shop across the street from Louie M's has a lot of different kinds of sausage (mexican and latin american-NOS) and good pork ribs.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Here's a walk-through of the area that I did a few years back ...

http://omababe.blogspot.com/2008/08/walk-up-vinton.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I've walked much of Vinton Street as well. It is a very bohemian, evolving neighborhood.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Omababe wrote:Here's a walk-through of the area that I did a few years back ...

http://omababe.blogspot.com/2008/08/walk-up-vinton.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great blog, BTW. I remember Turner Hall as a bingo palace for the geriatric set back in the 60's, although it did have one of those classic neon theater marquees above the front door and nearly reaching the roof, so I'd just presumed it was a movie theater at one time, but It does look too small for one.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

After reading ricko's post on Turner Hall I ran into this (didn't look to see if this has been posted in the past):

Reinvigorating Vinton Street
Cindy Gonzalez: WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Registered as a national historic place, the two-block Vinton Street commercial district's 17 buildings were constructed between 1890 and 1923. Tenants now include an antique store, a beauty salon, eateries, trade and clothing shops, an internationally known photographer and a book bindery.

Ferguson, a fine arts photographer who also heads the city's public art commission, said he walked down most every thoroughfare in Omaha after he arrived to the city as an artist in residence. He "fell in love" with Vinton Street, where he bought a building in 1987.

"It really struck a chord in me," he said, and brought back memories of his hometown of Maxwell, Neb. "It has that walkability."

Merchants and the chamber are hoping for a performing arts tenant to move into a big corner theater building next to Louie M's, known as the South Side Turner Hall. "That will be key," Marcuzzo said.

Built around 1910, the hall, now in need of major rehabilitation, most recently was occupied by an organ builder and repairer. Early on, according to the application for the historic district designation, it might have housed a Schlitz Brewery saloon. It also has served as a social hall and meeting place for the old version of the merchants association.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

City Council unanimously OKs Vinton St. revitalization plan
Roseann Moring / World-Herald staff writer wrote:A plan to revitalize Vinton Street will give some buildings in the Deer Park neighborhood a much needed “booster shot,” City Councilman Garry Gernandt says.

He and the other council members unanimously approved a revitalization plan that will pave the way for renovation of dozens of older homes.

“This has been a long time coming,” Gernandt said.

Under the plan, the city would use federal and state grants to help nonprofit builders, homeowners and landlords to renovate dozens of run-down homes and build several new ones.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

$240K TIF request to convert a building on 24th and Vinton from a bar to an outpatient surgical center.

BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Looks like they just installed two sculptures in the Vinton Street Business District. One is at 15th and the other is at 20th. Sounds like we have our next Blackstone.

Sculptures at ends of Vinton district are another step in its revival
Tess Williams / For the World-Herald wrote:Vinton Street is in the middle of a transformation.

In the last few years, the historic business district has made it a priority to revitalize the area and create a booming arts corridor. The next step for the district was adding public art.

Check that step off the list. Two sculptures, which were selected in October, were installed just before Christmas.
“It was a dying neighborhood,” Ferguson said. “The inhabitants were keeling over, they were all in their 70s, 80s, 90s, they were getting older, so there was a ton of vacant housing and empty business storefronts.”

Now, he said, the neighborhood is filled with thriving businesses and there’s even a wait list to open new businesses on the street.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Prairie Moon
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (119.8 KiB) Viewed 2278 times

Prairie Sun
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (49.96 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

They call that art? Looks like someone went to the dump and welded some junk together. I hope they didn't have to pay too much for it.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'm disappointed that the article didn't give credit to immigrants for the redevelopment of this neighborhood. The business owner talked about old people dying. Many of those homes are now occupied by immigrants and their children. In addition most of the new businesses cater to Mexicans/Latinos. Without the new businesses, the district would surely be dead. I'm thrilled with what's happening with the neighborhood, but they need to give credit where credit is due.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

daveoma wrote:I'm disappointed that the article didn't give credit to immigrants for the redevelopment of this neighborhood. The business owner talked about old people dying. Many of those homes are now occupied by immigrants and their children. In addition most of the new businesses cater to Mexicans/Latinos. Without the new businesses, the district would surely be dead. I'm thrilled with what's happening with the neighborhood, but they need to give credit where credit is due.
Your right about that. While there are some art shops in the neighborhood, the 20-something-hipster-doofus doesn't constitute the population of the area. It is mainly Mexican/Latino. If I were you, I would copy and paste your comment and send it via email to the World-Herald writer that wrote the article.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

OmahaOmaha wrote:They call that art? Looks like someone went to the dump and welded some junk together. I hope they didn't have to pay too much for it.
I personally think they look cool.
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

Buffalo Wild Wings will be opening a new BWW GO store at 24th and Vinton.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Welp, there goes the neighborhood.

I kid, I kid. I think this would be outside of what would be the Vinton Street Business district though, no?
TransitOriented
Library Board

Post by TransitOriented »

Athomsfere wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:19 am I think this would be outside of what would be the Vinton Street Business district though, no?
Wikipedia says Elm St, which would be Supermercado, so this B Dubs is outside the "Vinton Street Commercial Historic District"
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

If they want to serve this market, then why did they close their 48th & L location? IIRC, that was their first Omaha area location.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:18 pm If they want to serve this market, then why did they close their 48th & L location? IIRC, that was their first Omaha area location.
BWW GO is just for takeout and delivery, so far fewer employees and less space needed.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC