Howard Street Apartment District

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Howard Street Apartment District

Post by SaveOmaha »

Looks like 2217 and 2222 Howard are currently owned by Arch Icon Development. This is such a neat little area. I hope that these two properties can be renovated.

Any thoughts or has anyone else been on this little stretch of Howard?
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Howard Street Apartment District

Post by iamjacobm »

That area is ripe for redevelopment. There are even a few more buildings similar to what you posted that are boarded up. If Park Av is any indication then these old gems could really jump start west downtown.

EDIT: Also Arch Icon did the Junction a few blocks away from here so they already have some skin in the game in this area.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I discovered this area only a couple of months ago and when I did I was completely surprised. I always love to find historic dense living in low-profile locations.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Being just up the street from the Downtown YMCA and the Children's Museum, you would think this would be ripe area. Looks like the store fronts at The Juction on 24th and Farnam is now open.

From (gray windy) Today:

Across the street:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

well, its also right next to the Lasting Hope Rehab center. Having worked at the Med Center, that was where we sent people who were too physically violent to treat beyond life-sustaining care.
SaveOmaha

Post by SaveOmaha »

This is omahajosh618. I got a new username. I spoke to Arch Icon today. They are renovating 2211, 15, 17 and 22 Howard Streets. The house is not in the development plans. Pretty amazing stuff!
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Awesome! Thanks for the info.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

DOGIS lists 2 separate owners for these properties, including the empty lot on 22nd street. 2211 and 2215, along with the lot are owned by Block 22 LLC while 2217 and 2222 are owned by BKD Group LLC.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
SaveOmaha

Post by SaveOmaha »

The assessor's website has the more accurate information. I wondered the same thing because I attempted to contact this BKD group with no answer.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

SaveOmaha wrote:The assessor's website has the more accurate information. I wondered the same thing because I attempted to contact this BKD group with no answer.
OK, looking at that I see they're all owned by Block 22.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

2122 Howard St.

2111 Howard St.

2115 Howard St.

2117 Howard St.

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

This is another really cool little area. I think it's another area with huge potential if it's cleaned up and doesn't look as sketchy.

I think this area must have been hit really hard when 480 went through, because it would have been a continous upper-class neighborhood all the way over the Park Ave. There is a really beautiful Richarsonian-style victorian apartment building at the west end of this area that faces the interstate. It's vacant, but boarded-up well, so someone at least has it stabilized it for potential future rehab.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Seth, are you talking about 1040 S. 29th St. or 563 S. 28th St.? I have spoken to both owners. The owner of 1040 S. 29th is planning on rehabbing, and that one hopefully won't be demolished because it's a registered Omaha landmark. The owner of 563 S. 28th is apparently waiting for the neighborhood to turn around. This seems like a pretty good time to me!
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Another eomaha scoop.

http://www.kptm.com/story/24971720/down ... -developer
A developer recently purchased a stretch of abandoned buildings near 22nd and Howard streets.

People who live in the area said the buildings have attracted all sorts of crime, including prostitution and drugs.

"There's a bunch of homeless people, we deal with prostitution and drugs," said Kate Bree.

Arch Icon Development purchased five buildings surrounding Bree's apartment. When FOX 42 spoke with the developer on the phone, he said they are still working on a plan for the buildings. Arch Icon is based in Iowa, and has remodeled many historic homes in Iowa and one near 24th and Farnam in Omaha.
mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association

Post by mistergutierrez »

I live in City View apartments, and frankly, I love this area. My son goes to daycare at YMCA and my daughter studies at Liberty, both within a walking distance. We are members of the Children museum and we have to parks in the area, the one in Drake Court and the one in front of the Children museum. On week-end the Joslyn is 10 minutes away, and we also walk to go to take a coffee at Howlin Hounds in the 16th or the Old Market. As you can imagine I don´t like driving, so this area fits perfectly my family lifestyle. I would love to see these projects done as more density could attract more services.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

SaveOmaha wrote:Seth, are you talking about 1040 S. 29th St. or 563 S. 28th St.? I have spoken to both owners. The owner of 1040 S. 29th is planning on rehabbing, and that one "shouldn't" go anywhere because it's a registered Omaha landmark. The owner of 563 S. 28th is waiting for the neighborhood to turn around. This looks like a pretty good time to me!
Yeah, those are the ones I'm talking about. I love the intricate stone and masonry.

There's a very similar building on the forgotten stretch of 29th street west of 480.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:Another eomaha scoop.

http://www.kptm.com/story/24971720/down ... -developer
A developer recently purchased a stretch of abandoned buildings near 22nd and Howard streets.

People who live in the area said the buildings have attracted all sorts of crime, including prostitution and drugs.

"There's a bunch of homeless people, we deal with prostitution and drugs," said Kate Bree.

Arch Icon Development purchased five buildings surrounding Bree's apartment.  When FOX 42 spoke with the developer on the phone, he said they are still working on a plan for the buildings.  Arch Icon is based in Iowa, and has remodeled many historic homes in Iowa and one near 24th and Farnam in Omaha.
I think this is a case where a little more forceful gentrification is in the best interest of everyone. Letting a neighborhood continue to decline and support this destructive behavior certainly doesn't help those who live there, even if redevelopment will displace them.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Work has begun.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Not terribly sure if this is the same project, but there is a TIF mention on the planning board agenda about "The Flats on Howard."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Not terribly sure if this is the same project, but there is a TIF mention on the planning board agenda about "The Flats on Howard."
I would have thought... But, it says SE of 24 and Harney, which would theoretically be the Enterprise Rental place property owned by Princ Realty LLC, which upon a quick search I coldnt find too much about.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It is for these properties.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Thanks for the update! That's a lot of real estate.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/m-apartment- ... 6a8eb.html
An old mansion district-turned-eyesore on the western fringe of downtown Omaha is envisioned as a pedestrian-friendly apartment campus with 153 market-rate residences in a dozen restored historical structures.

The $20 million project set to start this month is an initiative of Woodbine, Iowa-based Arch Icon and TFL Development, whose principal is Ndamukong Suh, former Nebraska football star now with the NFL Detroit Lions.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/blog/former- ... f6878.html
The Suh connection is rooted in the fact that his buddy and business partner Matt Hickey is from Woodbine, Iowa -- as are co-owners of Arch Icon, said Darin Smith, whose partners are Mindy and Dustin Crook.

Smith told me that Suh, a construction management major at UNL, and his TFL Development had been looking for Omaha projects. The former Husker has visited the Flats on Howard site and has been involved in the planning, said Smith, adding that Suh met this summer with Omaha city planners about the developers’ request for $2.2 million in tax-increment financing.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

That looks like a fantastic redevelopment proposal. If this area can shake the "sketchy" vibe, it could really be popular. With the steady redevelopment momentum between midtown and downtown, I think it has real potential, with the only challenge being the effect of the public housing tower at the south.

I have noticed that they beautiful brick victorian apartment building down on 28th st facing the interstate is listed for sale. There are still a lot of properties with potential in that area.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

$2.2 million TIF mention in the agenda. On top of the 153 units it will also include 147 private parking stalls.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Arch Icon Construction spending $400k for 'Code Enforcement'?
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Work has commenced.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Not really connected to this project, I think, but the Anna Apartment, around Howard and 26th, are getting a $200k upgrade... Maybe.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/major-commer ... f714c.html
Cindy Gonzalez OWH wrote:The $20 million rehabilitation of a run-down, multiblock residential district is to start this month near 22nd Street and Dewey Avenue and be mostly done by year’s end. The Flats on Howard project, developed by former Husker Ndamukong Suh’s TFL Development and Arch Icon Development, promises to turn a crime magnet into a trendy, techie housing campus.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Received over $3.3 million in tax credits due to the Historic Tax Credit program.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Well Suh has plenty of money to keep investing in Omaha now.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Well Suh has plenty of money to keep investing in Omaha now.
$60M Guaranteed!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Longfellow Apartments are getting a $1M rehab.

2215 Howard St.

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Isn't that part of the same project?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just a block south on 24th St., the Ponderosa Suites (formerly the Sterling Apartments) are getting a $600k upgrade...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Just a block south on 24th St., the Ponderosa Suites (formerly the Sterling Apartments) are getting a $600k upgrade...
Being referred to as Sterling for the Planning Board, requesting TIF.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:
Coyote wrote:Just a block south on 24th St., the Ponderosa Suites (formerly the Sterling Apartments) are getting a $600k upgrade...
Being referred to as Sterling for the Planning Board, requesting TIF.
$477k in TIF.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

The Developers now have nice renderings on their website at http://www.theflatsonhoward.com/