Georgia Row House (1040 S. 29th)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Georgia Row House (1040 S. 29th)

Post by SaveOmaha »

I noticed a large "for rent" sign on the building. This building is a registered Omaha Landmark, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Seth, I thought you might be particularly interested in this building, since it's the one you were talking about!
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Georgia Row House (1029 S. 29th)

Post by iamjacobm »

Such an awesome building. I wish it didn't have to face the interstate, it deserves a better neighborhood environment!
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Now THAT's an old building worth preserving!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

That truly is a magnificent building. It's a real shame it's on 29th St, which will always have a grimy feel next to the interstate.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I noticed a large for rent sign hanging on it today...
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Coyote wrote:I noticed a large for rent sign hanging on it today...
I think it's been up for a while. The last time I noticed, it was starting to fall off.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

For rent sign is back up.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Re: Georgia Row House (1040 S. 29th)

Post by Seth »

I'd really love to see this building be renovated. There are some really cool structures in the block between Park Ave and the interstate, but the interstate really makes 29th St look like a slum. A heavy tree windbreak or some type of barrior on the interstate side of the street would sure help, though.
midtowndeveloper
New to the Neighborhood

Post by midtowndeveloper »

Its for sale now!! I saw that Sage Capital who is developing the Dundee Flats has it listed for sale. I called and spoke with Jake Denker who is the listing agent and he said they have a few interested parties and offers, but if nobody ends up taking it, then the current owner will renovate it!

Cant wait to see what it looks like when it is done!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I could only hope someone could bring this treasure back to life! Does anyone know her history?
midtowndeveloper
New to the Neighborhood

Post by midtowndeveloper »

If they do please full us in!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Georgia House was designed by the architects Findley & Shields. It was constructed of brick, limestone, sandstone and stucco. The architectural style is Queen Anne. It is also known as The Georgia Boarding House. The Georgia House is one of the few traditional houses in the city. It lands on 9 acres with three buildings on sight. The Georgia Row house is a 3 story building in Douglas county erected in 1890 for J. Herbert Van Closter who was president of the Nebraska Mortgage and Loan Company. It was named in honor of Georgia Avenue which was the previous name of Omaha's 29th Street. It is currently owned by Dr. Norman E. Dawson and Ruth M. Dawson of Council Bluffs, Iowa. The interior is furnished with simple oak fittings and 8 fireplaces.

The Georgia Row House is a historic property in Omaha, Nebraska. Built in 1890, it is one of the few traditional row houses in the city. The house now named the Georgia Apartments and is located at 1040–1044 South 29th Street.
Listed for $314k
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Here is a photo from the 90's I think before they took down the trees.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sold to InCommon. Will be developed as affordable housing.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Here is the 11/09/2016 OWH article on this. http://www.omaha.com/money/a-changing-p ... f8def.html

12 units the Georgia House to be redeveloped as affordable housing and the Bristol next door (64 units) will be run together. The Bristol will have a community kitchen, event space, computer lab and bike room.

mpatterson
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mpatterson »

So glad to get this update. I do a drive by every time I come back to visit family in Omaha. My first apartment was in the 1040 building in 1969. Have always wanted to see the inside.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

I guess this is finally happening:

Empty and neglected: Historic Georgia Row Apartments will soon bring new affordable housing
This renovation is just one piece of the $15 million project to bring more affordable housing to the neighborhood.

"We noticed that a lot of neighbors were really having housing insecurity issues, so we bought two apartment complexes, the Georgia Row Apartments here and the Bristol apartments on Park Avenue," Gray said.

With a total of 75 new affordable units to the area by the fall of 2023, the units will rent for $750 to $850 at Georgia Row and Section 8 vouchers will be accepted.

"The goal for us, particularly with this project, is to make sure that long-term residents or low-income residents can experience the benefits of a lot of the redevelopment happening," Gray said.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

https://www.wowt.com/2022/10/14/afforda ... 0-dollars/
“The buildings or apartments will range from $450 all the way to $750. We have studios, one-bedroom apartments and two and three-bedroom apartments for families,” said Christian Gray, executive director of inCOMMON.

The Bristol will have 64 units and the Georgia Row House will have 11.
“Its proximity to transportation, to job centers, to downtown. It doesn’t isolate people into deep parts of the community and exclude them from those opportunities,” said Gray.
The two buildings under construction are set to be completed by the summer of 2023.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

After $17 million revamp, two Omaha historic sites are set to open as affordable housing
Cindy Gonzalez
n a $17 million renovation project years in the making, two historic structures, one built over 130 years ago, are ready to provide affordable housing in one of Omaha’s oldest and evolving neighborhoods.

Between the Georgia Row Apartments and adjacent Hanscom Apartments, 75 homes, including family-size dwellings, will be available to renters whose income falls within federal eligibility limits.

A goal of the nonprofit behind the venture, inCOMMON Community Development, is to develop local leaders among residents of vulnerable neighborhoods, said co-director Christian Gray.
Rent at the Georgia and Hanscom are to range from about $525 to $1,000, based on the size of the apartment, according to NP Dodge Management, which is managing the apartments for inCOMMON.

While the Georgia Row and Hanscom are separate addresses, they are situated back-to-back and will share amenities including a community room, library, fitness area and indoor bike storage, Gray said.

Built in 1890 in the Queen Anne style, the Georgia Row, at 1040 S. 29th St., contains 11 family-size units of two and three bedrooms. Its name was derived from Georgia Avenue, the original name for what is now 29th Street.
The larger Hanscom, at 1029 Park Ave., was built in 1921 in the Spanish Colonial Revival style and has earned a spot on the National Register. It contains 64 studio and one-bedroom units.