Pacific Life HQ @ Aksarben Village

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Pacific Life HQ @ Aksarben Village

Post by skinzfan23 »

I wonder if any thought was given to possibly occupying space in the Shamrock development on Capitol. The office buildings are supposed to be around 8 stories tall and there is going to be underground parking, although I am not sure there is enough for all the offices, residences and hotel.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I would have to believe that Pac Life surveyed every open possibilities before choosing AV, I just have to wonder in the final analysis what they offered that swayed their minds...
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Tough break for downtown.  But the space will fill up eventually.

Pacific Life will have a great impact on Aksarben Village.  It will give some much needed density to the park area, especially if they land some tenants for the ground level.  That empty field has been a huge void since the beginnng.  Hopefully the lot to the east gets developed soon too.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Pacific Life leaving downtown for Aksarben Village, planning $33M, 5-story office building
Currently at 1299 Farnam St., Pacific Life's more than 350 employees are outgrowing their space and approaching an expiration on a lease.

Pacific Life will be the anchor tenant of the 125,000-square-foot structure to be constructed on the northeast corner of Mercy Road and Aksarben Drive. It will contain nearly 20,000 square feet of retail space on the ground level for restaurants and shops. Upper office floors will connect by a sky bridge to a new four-story 880-stall parking structure.

He estimated that by 2015, there will be more than 6,500 people working in the village daily.

Pacific Life Insurance is a subsidiary of Pacific Mutual Holding Co., headquartered in Newport Beach, Calif. Nationally, the network has more than 2,800 employees. The Omaha office serves as a regional business center that supports Pacific Life's retirement solutions and life insurance divisions.

Pacific Mutual was attracted to Nebraska when the Legislature changed state law so that insurance holding companies could shift domiciles to the state to lower their taxes. Pacific Mutual pledged 250 jobs at the time.

“Pacific Life has enjoyed being part of the Omaha community for almost 10 years,” said Jim Morris, CEO and chairman. “We are committed to maintaining our regional business center operations in Omaha and are pleased to have found a great location that will allow for growth and a modern and positive work environment.”
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is going to be a lot of parking. Between the current garages already there and the 880 in Pacific Life's building along with the 1,500 spaces the Waitt Plaza building is going to provide. It is all very much needed however, and so far they have done it right by hiding garages behind the buildings.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I think they could have done more for the design of the building. It doesn't look bad, but you wouldn't look at it twice really... I don't care about the height here. It just could have used a little more imagination.

Oh well.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

RNcyanide wrote:I think they could have done more for the design of the building. It doesn't look bad, but you wouldn't look at it twice really... I don't care about the height here. It just could have used a little more imagination.

Oh well.
I agree with you there. Like I said above, it would be nice to have something other than a square building. Even if no other shape would work, they could add some architectural details to make it stand out a little more. I know the office in Aliso Viejo has a 2 story whale sculpture in the front of the building.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just found out there are currently 1,900 parking spaces in the village when you add in the BCBS garage, which is available to the public after 5 pm and on weekends. Add in the 1,500 and 880, the new total should be somewhere around 4,280 by early 2016 when the Waitt building is completed.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

skinzfan23 wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:I think they could have done more for the design of the building. It doesn't look bad, but you wouldn't look at it twice really... I don't care about the height here. It just could have used a little more imagination.

Oh well.
I agree with you there.  Like I said above, it would be nice to have something other than a square building.  Even if no other shape would work, they could add some architectural details to make it stand out a little more.  I know the office in Aliso Viejo has a 2 story whale sculpture in the front of the building.
The design H&B used for Millard Refrigeration or C&A Industries (with some tweaking) would have served them better.

God why didn't I become an architect... Oh that's right - calculus.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

It's great that Ak Village will have so much garage parking tucked-in behind buildings, rather than seas of surface parking surrounding office buildings. We've come a long way since Old Mill and many other similar office parks were built in Omaha.

I agree the new Pac Life design is a little boring, at least compared to the new Gordman's building at Ak Village. I don't have a problem with rectangular buildings in general....just the material selections and composition of the forms. Also, I'd be surprised if any architect's actually use calculus. RNcyanide, you probably could have bucked it up and gotten through the one calculus class required for an architecture degree. :D
Last edited by GetUrban on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Honestly I had in my head that they occupied more space than that downtown.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OMAHA, Neb.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Pacific Life Insurance Company and Magnum Development Corp. announced today the development and construction of a new office building and parking structure in the greater Omaha, Nebraska area. The five-story, 125,000 square foot building will be located in Aksarben Village, a mixed-use development in midtown Omaha. The building will have 19,000 square feet of retail space on the ground floor to accommodate shops and restaurants with the remaining four floors available for office space. The building will be completed in Fall 2015 and will be supported by a new 880 stall parking structure that will be developed in conjunction with the project.

Pacific Life has over 2,800 employees nationwide with more than 350 in Omaha. The Omaha office serves as a regional business center supporting Pacific Life’s Retirement Solutions Division and Life Insurance Division. Key functions include internal wholesaling, customer support, operations, technology support, sales, and case coordination.

“We believe the new office will help employees enjoy work-life balance by providing a location closer to a majority of their residences,” said Carol Sudbeck, senior vice president of Human Resources and Public Affairs. “This new space will also enable our operations to continue to grow in the coming years. Employees will be able to enjoy a number of amenities in the area including restaurants, shops, a health club and Aksarben Cinema, all within walking distance.”

Magnum Development Corp. and McNeil Company are partnering on the $33 million development. The team previously joint ventured the 82,000 square foot Aksarben Cinema building which McNeil Company constructed in 2009. “Aksarben Village has become one of the most notable addresses in Omaha and we are thrilled to be a part of its growth,” said John Hughes, President of Magnum Development Corp. “The addition of Pacific Life will further enhance the ‘Live-Work-Play’ environment of the Village and the new building will provide more opportunity for the retail shops and restaurants that have been looking to locate in Aksarben Village for the past couple of years.” Hughes estimates that by 2015 there will be more than 6,500 people working in the Village on a daily basis. Aksarben Village is now the headquarters for several large Omaha employers, including First Data Resources, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Nebraska, Gordman’s, DLR Group, and Olsson Associates.

“This project will complement our existing investment in Aksarben, both aesthetically and functionally, as the adjacent parking structure will provide more opportunity for additional retail and entertainment focused businesses,” said Pat McNeil, President of McNeil Company.

The new Omaha office of Pacific Life will continue to sponsor internship programs for the University of Nebraska-Omaha and Creighton University. Students have the opportunity to be a part of the Internal Wholesaler Internship Program, which enables them to have a hands-on learning experience and insight into a career in wholesaling to support the sales of investment products. The Pacific Life Foundation is an active funder in the Omaha community, with almost $300,000 committed to local nonprofit agencies and K-12 schools in 2014.

“Pacific Life has enjoyed being part of the Omaha community for almost ten years,” said Jim Morris, chairman and CEO of Pacific Life. “We are committed to maintaining our regional business center operations in the city of Omaha and are pleased to have found a great location for our employees.”

Pacific Life was represented locally by Omaha brokers Tim Kerrigan and JP Raynor from Investors Realty. The building is being designed by Omaha architectural firm Holland Basham Architects. “Holland Basham Architects is excited to be working with Pacific Life on the design of their new offices to be located at Aksarben Village,” said HBA principal Curt Witzenberg. “Holland Basham Architects is proud to be a partner in this unique development opportunity.”
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I agree with many others here; it's sad to sees big employer leave downtown, but great to see continued development in A/V.

I think the mixed-use locations are becoming very desirable for employers, especially those looking to hire millennials. At this rate, A/V will be built out for office space pretty soon. I have no doubt Mutual has this in mind as they are making plans for office development east of MTC. Its really the only other big, new mixed-use development available now. Crossroads could be another future contender, but now that UNMC has the Steel Castings property, that's about the only one close on the horizon.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

iamjacobm wrote:Honestly I had in my head that they occupied more space than that downtown.
The 2008/2009 recession was very difficult on the financial services industry. Pacific Life cut back its workforce significantly in response. This cutback included Omaha. My department in Omaha was hit with almost a 60% reduction. I have to think that was perhaps deeper than most other departments. So prior to the recession, Pacific Life occupied the 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 11th and 14th floors at the Landmark Centre. In response to the recession, the company vacated the 8th and 11th floors. So maybe that is at least part of why you thought they occupied more space.

We've been a lean, mean fighting machine ever since. :)

Without the recession, I am in part speculating and also in part basing my thoughts on the three blueprints of 10 - 15 story buildings I saw in 2006 or 2007 that PL would have built sooner, taller and would have probably increased its employment from the 2008 peak in Omaha.

Without going into detail, the recession not only caused the company to scale back but to completely redesign its business plan.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I believe that Pacific Life is supposed to break ground either today or tomorrow for the new building.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:I believe that Pacific Life is supposed to break ground either today or tomorrow for the new building.
I noticed yesterday they had the "Lake" drained and they were moving a little dirt around. I shot a couple photos. Still need to get them posted. Some machinery on site too.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The construction fence is up, but I was curious why they haven't started tearing up the parking lot to the north for the garage. The garages usually take a long time to build because they have to be reinforced and with an 880 4 floor garage, I would think that would be one of the first things they work on.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:The construction fence is up, but I was curious why they haven't started tearing up the parking lot to the north for the garage.  The garages usually take a long time to build because they have to be reinforced and with an 880 4 floor garage, I would think that would be one of the first things they work on.
Probably waiting till they get the parking lot over on the Waitt Plaza spot paved so they don't lose vehicle capacity.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

iamjacobm wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:The construction fence is up, but I was curious why they haven't started tearing up the parking lot to the north for the garage.  The garages usually take a long time to build because they have to be reinforced and with an 880 4 floor garage, I would think that would be one of the first things they work on.
Probably waiting till they get the parking lot over on the Waitt Plaza spot paved so they don't lose vehicle capacity.
Agreed. Esp. for the Cinema traffic, and in the summer/spring/fall the farmers market.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

Drove by the Pacific Life lot today. Workers are wiring re-bar together for the footings.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is the lot they are building on:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks for posting Brad. I just shared those with my co-workers at Pac Life. By the way, what is wrong with the grass in Stinson Park? Looks like something was sitting on it for a long time and killed some of it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha beer fest.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Thanks for posting Brad.  I just shared those with my co-workers at Pac Life.  By the way, what is wrong with the grass in Stinson Park?  Looks like something was sitting on it for a long time and killed some of it.
You're welcome.

I agree with Coyote, Beerfest was the last big even there before these were taken.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Over $9 million TIF request for this project. Although that request includes all 5 structures on the land, looks like they could all be going up at the same time.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is another rendering of the Pacific Life building showing the building and the parking garage.

Last edited by skinzfan23 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Here is another rendering of the Pacific Life building showing the building and the parking garage.

I can't see the image. Also, if I use my moderator tools and grab the link out of your post and past it in a new window, it says web page not available.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Same here.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote: I can't see the image.  Also, if I use my moderator tools and grab the link out of your post and past it in a new window, it says web page not available.
Sorry I wasn't sure if that was going to work. I uploaded the picture to photobucket now so hopefully you are able to view it. Let me know if you aren't.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes, thanks!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Meh. Still not entirely impressed. Is there a thread for the buildings in the lower left corner of the picture?

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RNcyanide wrote:Meh. Still not entirely impressed. Is there a thread for the buildings in the lower left corner of the picture?
This thread.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Brad wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:Meh. Still not entirely impressed. Is there a thread for the buildings in the lower left corner of the picture?
This thread.
Oh. Must have forgot. Thanks!

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This parking lot was supposed to close down last week, but may have just closed down today. It serves parking for Dudley's, and I went in and talked to co-owner Robbie Malm today... Parking to the east of Dudley's/Cinema/ DJ's is more than that spot had.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is going to have an awesome presence on the park.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Official: Aksarben Village

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

They announced today at Pacific Life that they are going to have a monthly newsletter to keep us updated on the progress of the building including ground floor tenants once they become available.

I will pass along new information once we hear about it.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are a few of the updated pictures they have posted so far:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Re: Official: Aksarben Village