Pacific Life HQ @ Aksarben Village

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Pacific Life HQ @ Aksarben Village

Post by skinzfan23 »

Pacific Life sent out an email on Friday, saying they are in the final steps of the decision making process and hope to have a decision within the next month on whether they are going to renew the lease in the Landmark building or move to a new site.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Re: New Downtown HQ

Post by ShawJ »

skinzfan23 wrote:Pacific Life sent out an email on Friday, saying they are in the final steps of the decision making process and hope to have a decision within the next month on whether they are going to renew the lease in the Landmark building or move to a new site.

I'm really hoping you guys stay. I'd hate to see more jobs leave DT.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OK, so it is over 8 months since our beloved mayor Stothert floated the idea of a new DTO HQs. Have we heard even a strange rumor since?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Coyote wrote:OK, so it is over 8 months since our beloved mayor Stothert floated the idea of a new DTO HQs. Have we heard even a strange rumor since?
I wonder if a tenant for the proposed Lanoha tower at the old UP site would fit that bill ...dunno who that tenant would be though, other than PAC Life.
Would love to see some completely new HQ come into downtown, instead of one relocating, unless they're moving in from West O.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Official: Aksarben Village

Post by Coyote »

Flags on the property south of Aspen Athletic an Dudleys; Cox and OPPD trucks, a dozen guys with blueprints and measuring tapes having an outdoor meeting...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That is kind of the last key spot not accounted for. I would prefer some buildings with condos or apartments over looking the park instead of offices. Still anything to finish the corner is fine by me.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Flags on the property south of Aspen Athletic an Dudleys; Cox and OPPD trucks, a dozen guys with blueprints and measuring tapes having an outdoor meeting...
Were there any survey markers or just the little utility flags? I drove by after work and didn't see much, just a few utility flags. I didn't get out of the car, just passed through after I left QT.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Flags on the property south of Aspen Athletic an Dudleys; Cox and OPPD trucks, a dozen guys with blueprints and measuring tapes having an outdoor meeting...
Were there any survey markers or just the little utility flags?  I drove by after work and didn't see much, just a few utility flags.  I didn't get out of the car, just passed through after I left QT.
They were just utility flags, but the meeting was certainly about the development of that space.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote: Were there any survey markers or just the little utility flags?  I drove by after work and didn't see much, just a few utility flags.  I didn't get out of the car, just passed through after I left QT.
They were just utility flags, but the meeting was certainly about the development of that space.
Cool, I was hoping they were survey stakes like they were going to get going on construction.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

They mentioned on Grow Omaha that a rumor is that PacLife will move to Aksarben Village, I think on the lot south of DJ's and the movie theater? Hear anything lately Skinzfan?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There is not that much room south of DJ's, unless they take out the parking lots.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Coyote wrote:There is not that much room south of DJ's, unless they take out the parking lots.
You're right, I didn't look until just now. They could have been talking about a different area and I misheard.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The announced building to the east would make sense. I sure hope they stick to Aksarben at least if they are leaving DT, which seems to be the case.
guest1111

Post by guest1111 »

Could it possibly be in Waitt Plaza.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

It's official: Pacific Life to Aksarben Village.

We are pleased to announce the results of the Omaha location review and lease renewal process. Beginning Fall 2015, the Omaha office will be relocating to Aksarben Village, located along 72nd Street between Dodge Street and Center Street. Our new building, “Pacific Life Plaza” will be located on the northeast corner of Aksarben Drive and Mercy Road within Aksarben Village and will be overlooking Stinson Park.

Pacific Life has executed a long term lease for this new building and construction of Pacific Life Plaza should begin this summer. Pacific Life Plaza will be a five story building, with four levels of office space and one level of retail/restaurant space. Pacific Life will occupy the top three floors of the building with opportunities to expand as needed. The developer is working closely with our Facilities department on the layout and design of the building to ensure our needs are met.

Some of the features of the new location include:

• covered parking structure adjacent to the building with capacity for all employees

• covered skywalk bridge connecting parking structure to the new office building

• prominent signage for our Pacific Life brand

• additional meeting room and conference room space

• some outdoor seating from the 5th floor lunchroom balcony

Aksarben Village is a growing area in mid-town Omaha. Aksarben Village has many amenities, including several restaurants, a ten screen movie theatre, a fitness center within walking distance, and a small grocery store. As the area continues its development there will be additional dining and retail establishments.

We appreciate your input through the employee survey last fall. This information provided was helpful to us as we assessed alternatives. We will continue to provide updates on the progress of the building and coordination of the move over the upcoming year.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome. The Long Rumored Pacific Life Building is finally over. Wonder how many places they were rumored to be going. I don't ever remember Aksarben being in play.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

It's too bad they're leaving downtown, but I'm glad they landed in AV.
Last edited by ShawJ on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: New PAC Life Headquarters

Post by iamjacobm »

Too bad to see them leave downtown, but very happy they landed in A/V instead of the 'burbs. Aksarben Village is such an incredible success for this city it is almost unquantifiable. UNO, Midtown and Omaha in general is incredibly fortunate yet at the same time show that we want developments like this. Incredible.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Re: Pacific Life HQ @ Aksarben Village

Post by guitarguy »

Hail to the Yeeahhh!! Finally the torture is over!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Also clearly that parking lot is going to be built as a garage. I am a fan.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Where will it be? I know that they are able to add floors to the BCBS garage.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:Where will it be?  I know that they are able to add floors to the BCBS garage.
Well it says there will be a skywalk to the garage. The location they said is across from the park so I assume that means a garage will be built on the surface lot.
Ryan j
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ryan j »

Actually I dont think the surface lot is going to be turned into a garage. If you look at the space to the South of the Theater, there are two parts, one to the east (where I assume the building will go) and one to the west (where the garage will go) and an unfinished road in between. I think the unfinished road will extend to Stinson Park and the sky-bridge will extend over that road.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

According to the article/press release the building will be going is going on the west portion.
“Pacific Life Plaza” will be located on the northeast corner of Aksarben Drive and Mercy Road within Aksarben Village and will be overlooking Stinson Park.
NE of Aksarben Drive and Mercy is the west portion of that vacant land.

In the rendering it clearly shows another building to the east on that land.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, I am a little shocked, but I thought this would be the next best option outside of downtown.I know that the lease and paying for all the parking and even a shuttle during the winter had to be expensive

Guy4Omaha, thanks for posting. I assume that you work for Pac Life then? I didn't get the email yet, but I assume I will see it tomorrow when I get into work.

I am going to be sad to leave downtown, but Aksarben is a great location and has a ton going for it. I did however, just get a parking pass for the garage above Roja, which is nice because you can use it any time you visit downtown and the Old Market. I wonder how losing 300-400 (estimated) employees will affect the Landmark building and downtown in general.

On a very positive note, I am glad they didn't choose the Westroads location. That location isn't as centered as Aksarben nor does it add any prestige either. I know that having visible signage on the building was another huge issue.

On a personal note, Aksarben Village is the exact same distance from my house as the current location in the Landmark building. I am just worried about taking Hwy 75 north and having to use the ramp to get onto I-80 westbound everyday. That ramp is always at a stand still because it is only one lane wide. Hopefully the additional lanes on 80 help to alleviate that.
Last edited by skinzfan23 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:]I am going to be sad to leave downtown, but Aksarben is a great location and has a ton going for it.  I did however, just get a parking pass for the garage above Roja, which is nice because you can use it any time you visit downtown and the Old Market.  I wonder how losing 300-400 (estimated) employees will affect the Landmark building and downtown in general.
That is my biggest qualm with this. That is a huge chunk of real estate leaving downtown, what does this mean for Lanoha's tower proposal? Heck maybe this will lower prices at Landmark and a number of smaller companies will see a chance to move downtown for a reasonable rate(me being optimistic).

It really is interesting to see the dynamic being created now between 4 quite urban job centers between Downtown, Midtown, Med Center and Aksarben. Heck 5 if Crossroads follows through. It genuinely is incredible to see just how sprawling our urban redevelopment is, massive for a city our size.
Last edited by iamjacobm on Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:Awesome.  The Long Rumored Pacific Life Building is finally over.  Wonder how many places they were rumored to be going.  I don't ever remember Aksarben being in play.
DTO had to of been talking about a new Pac Life building 8 years ago!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Building a building for Pacific Life was their original intention when they moved to Omaha, but then the economy faltered and they were forced to sit tight for a while.

I wish that they would have teamed up with the Lanoha project and added to something spectacular downtown.

I am happy that they are getting a new building, but I wish that it wouldn't be so square looking, I think we are all still waiting for that signature building to be built in Omaha. (something that really stands out)
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I believe that this picture was already posted elsewhere on the forum, but here is a picture of the Aliso Viejo Pacific Life office that was completed in 2008.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Wow! Great news for AK Village. The area is really getting some decent urban density. Quite a nice little "village".

As others have already mentioned though, sad for Downtown to lose such a major employer. It seems like the Landmark center might be due for some updating now, although I still really like the tower portion, which is a New York Architect- Hollibird-Root design, if I remember correctly. The north side of the low-rise part of that block is pretty dead and cuts-off the Old Market from GLM though. I suppose there's not much chance of that changing anytime soon.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Once the arena is finished, it's going to be the most vibrant work/play areas in the state.

How amazing.
No posts exist for this topic
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

So this means more tower cranes right?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8 wrote:Once the arena is finished, it's going to be the most vibrant work/play areas in the state.

How amazing.
Just like AkSarBen was 50 years ago...
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Between this and Waitt Plaza, Aksarben is really running out of land quickly. Now it just needs to incorporate more residential.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I'm more disappointed to see jobs leave downtown than I am happy to see jobs come to Aksarben Village.

Though this is much better than jobs leaving the city or state,
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Well if UP or First National still need office space they'll have plenty between Landmark and CPP.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I was hoping they'd stay downtown as well. I think more of the available space needs to be rented before much new space comes on-line downtown. The momentum downtown right now is residential. I would assume this will really slow the process for the Lanoha development downtown.

Greg