Home2 by Hilton (Saddlecreek & Dodge)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Home2 by Hilton (Saddlecreek & Dodge)

Post by Coyote »

MTO wrote:Do we know, are those houses going to?
Besides this property and King Kong, the Nebraska Medical Center owns everything else on that block, so... No.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Was just curious how they'll handle that propert line deviation.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MTO wrote:Was just curious how they'll handle that propert line deviation.
I stand corrected. DSL Hospitality LLC does own the furthest west of those duplexes, there is an empty lot to the east that Nebraska Med (Clarkson Foundation) owns, so that duplex will go.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (124.2 KiB) Viewed 5251 times
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Ahh, thanks.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:It doesn't look like "parking" will cause this project the doom of having its plug pulled :;): ..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Yeah, they didn't have to work a deal with OPAS.
Truth...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Nice!! I love it. I had heard they were building a hotel there. At first, I didn't think the lot looked even big enough to hold a medium-size hotel. But, now I see they are taking out more than I expected... For example, I didn't realize they were taking out King Kong Burgers. (Can't believe the prices in there, btw. I joked that, when I first saw their menu, my jaw dropped probably more than spectators did in the 70's flic, watching the giant ape a top the World Trade Center w/ a woman in its hand. lol They are gooood burgers, though.)

Anyways, love the design.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They are not taking out King Kong. It was just rebuilt.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

RockHarbor wrote:Nice!! I love it. I had heard they were building a hotel there. At first, I didn't think the lot looked even big enough to hold a medium-size hotel. But, now I see they are taking out more than I expected... For example, I didn't realize they were taking out King Kong Burgers. (Can't believe the prices in there, btw. I joked that, when I first saw their menu, my jaw dropped probably more than spectators did in the 70's flic, watching the giant ape a top the World Trade Center w/ a woman in its hand. lol They are gooood burgers, though.)

Anyways, love the design.
Maybe I didn't understand your comment completely, but they aren't taking out King Kong. They (King Kong) just recently remodeled. The hotel is going on the parcel where the bank was and the westernmost house.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Oh, ok. I looked at that aerial (with the yellow lines), and I thought all those structures were on their way out, and thought that hotel was taking up that whole square -- as it looked like it could from the rendering. I'm glad, because I think King Kong Burgers is interesting & funky -- although not the least expensive place to eat.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

King Kong just rebuilt I'd be shocked if they left. But then again this is UNMC territory and that bank was landscaped not too long ago either.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RockHarbor wrote:Oh, ok. I looked at that aerial (with the yellow lines), and I thought all those structures were on their way out, and thought that hotel was taking up that whole square -- as it looked like it could from the rendering. I'm glad, because I think King Kong Burgers is interesting & funky -- although not the least expensive place to eat.
Here, I outlined it in Red. I am still interested in how they are going to fit a hotel in there too.. It's about 150'x250'. For comparison the new hotel on Farnam is about 130'x425'. Basically 0.86 Acres VS 1.3 Acres.

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

How big is the footprint of the new hotel in AV? It can't be very big either.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Brad wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:Oh, ok. I looked at that aerial (with the yellow lines), and I thought all those structures were on their way out, and thought that hotel was taking up that whole square -- as it looked like it could from the rendering. I'm glad, because I think King Kong Burgers is interesting & funky -- although not the least expensive place to eat.
Here, I outlined it in Red. I am still interested in how they are going to fit a hotel in there too.. It's about 150'x250'. For comparison the new hotel on Farnam is about 130'x425'. Basically 0.86 Acres VS 1.3 Acres.

Is that the official property line? It doesn't go all the way to the street... Are they trying to ROW Saddle Creek out a little wider?
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:How big is the footprint of the new hotel in AV? It can't be very big either.
205'x125'. However the one in Aksarben will be using the new garage by Pacific Life, Correct? I am guessing the UNMC hotel will need to meet their own parking needs.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:Is that the official property line? It doesn't go all the way to the street... Are they trying to ROW Saddle Creek out a little wider?
Yes, the Property line almost never goes all the way to the street. Usually its on the back side of the sidewalk so that the sidewalk is in the Right-of-Way.

You will see some odd property lines in older parts of town and mixed use areas.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Brad wrote: Here, I outlined it in Red. I am still interested in how they are going to fit a hotel in there too.. It's about 150'x250'. For comparison the new hotel on Farnam is about 130'x425'. Basically 0.86 Acres VS 1.3 Acres.

Oh, thanks...for this. Yeah, with some discussion after my last posts, and looking closer at the orientation of the rendering, and realizing KK Burgers was gonna stay, I figured the lot had to be exactly what you outlined in red here. And, yes, I still kinda wonder how they are going to set that fairly-big, medium-size hotel there.

Although I don't have a problem using visualizing something, it is still not uncommon for me to be surprised how much they can actually fit on a lot. (For example, I knew the yard in front of the Millard AT&T plant was big & wide, but I didn't realize it was THAT big, actually able-fitting for big-box stores, big parking lots, and a frontage road. The large lot Oak View Mall was built on: Same thing.)

It helps me to believe it will definitely fit, looking at the cars in this aerial shot. They are really small compared to that lot. Of course, they aren't going to plan & build a hotel on some lot that they suddenly realize is too small when they start to dig. But, you have those conflicting planned hotel & existing lot measurements mentioned. So, I'm sorta confused now, too.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

How are they going to mitigate the flooding along saddle creek?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:How big is the footprint of the new hotel in AV? It can't be very big either.
205'x125'. However the one in Aksarben will be using the new garage by Pacific Life, Correct? I am guessing the UNMC hotel will need to meet their own parking needs.
Yes, the Aksarben one is going to use the Pac Life garage, but this hotel is going to have parking included on the lower level or two. Basically the hotel in AV is going to approx 25,000 sq ft and this one is approx 37,000 sq ft.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

daveoma wrote:How are they going to mitigate the flooding along saddle creek?
Most of that lot sits up higher than Saddlecreek Road. I would guess keeping the building from flooding won't be a big issue. However I am sure they will be really controlling any runoff from the property. I am using they will be collecting every drop of rain they can and slowly releasing it after the storm.

Speaking of... Has Saddle Creek flooded since the new Walmart / Schlotsky's opened? They are both collecting their runoff and controlling the release. the both also have a lot more green spaced than they did when it was Target and Homers.

Edit: looks like when they built the new Qdoba, the did some stormwater work too.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This past rain storm of 2" should have been a good test for the Saddle Creek runoff, but I didn't hear anything.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:This past rain storm of 2" should have been a good test for the Saddle Creek runoff, but I didn't hear anything.
It was 2" but it came over 10 or 12 hours, problems only happen there when you get a severe storm drop that same 2" in one hour.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The fencing along Dodge Street features a rendering of the hotel.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

:hammer:
nativeomahan wrote:The fencing along Dodge Street features a rendering of the hotel.
Picture? :shock:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

daveoma wrote::hammer:
nativeomahan wrote:The fencing along Dodge Street features a rendering of the hotel.
Picture? :shock:
Not sure its any different that this rendering posted on page 2 of this thread:

On Sat May 09, 2015 5:56 am, iamjacobm posted:
iamjacobm wrote:Image
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Impossible to get a picture when driving by at 35 mph. But the image was one we have already seen.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Demo has commenced!
15-17, 26, 32
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I'm excited to see this project moving along. It's really going to continue to improve this stretch of Saddle Creek.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Building is pretty much gone now
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Grabbed a couple photos on my way down to the Gallery this morning

1. Former Bank

2. Former Duplex
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This hotel is bound to help out businesses in the area, restaurants in particular.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Saw some grading going on here this AM
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Taco wrote:Saw some grading going on here this AM
Taco wrote:Saw some grading going on here this AM
A little more movement when I drove by yesterday and site surveyers were also there. Excellent!
Back Home in Omaha!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Things are starting to move along on this one, they'll probably start foundation work by spring.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

When I went by, it looked like they were paving a connection to the ally. Has anything with the actual building happened?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Just saw some utility dudes doing "something".
15-17, 26, 32
MadJack
Home Owners Association

Post by MadJack »

I talked to one of the owners. Construction will not begin until spring. They don't want to be building during the winter.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Since when are construction workers to big of pussies to work in the winter.
15-17, 26, 32