UNMC Saddle Creek Development

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

UNMC Saddle Creek Development

Post by ShawJ »

This felt like it needed its own thread as it's more than just UNMC and more than the steel plant site. Feel free to move it if not.

UNMC plans partnership to create Omaha’s next Aksarben Village or Midtown Crossing
By Cindy Gonzalez / World-Herald staff writer

http://www.livewellnebraska.com/health/ ... b2370.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The University of Nebraska Medical Center wants to partner with a private developer to hasten and manage growth in a roughly 30-acre site along its western fringe — including the 12-acre Omaha Steel Castings property that UNMC is in the process of buying.

Envisioned on the site west of Saddle Creek Road are housing, retail stores and businesses that would be privately built but related to the medical and research campus. At least one hotel that caters to cancer patients and job recruits would be in the mix. So would restaurants, a bank and perhaps a parklike swale that controls flooding but would also be good for biking and walking.
Coyote
City Council

Re: UNMC Saddle Creek Development

Post by Coyote »

I wondered if this would be addressed: "Leuenberger expects the redevelopment activity to revive old discussions about realigning Saddle Creek to control flooding and for the redesign of the intersection of Saddle Creek and Dodge Street."

Sounds like they will approve a developer soon, so plans should be rolling through the city in a few months...
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Wow UNMC is on a rampage right now! The bigger this gets the more we have almost a a continual line of urban development out to 72nd St.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Tons of potential here. Going to be interesting who they pick and how quickly they come out with public plans.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I swear, if I read/hear of people who live just west of this site complain about the "potential for increased traffic blah blah" and try and fight this, I'll probably scream :(

This area sorely needs a revamp, and I'm glad UNMC is leading the way.
No posts exist for this topic
rchaf
New to the Neighborhood

Post by rchaf »

Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 1.22.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 1.22.53 AM.png (23.89 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
UNMC/Nebraska Medicine recently hosted a leadership summit. Nothing crazy new but good to see that things are definitely in the works.

That's the only blurb on the development, but here's the link for the rest: http://www.unmc.edu/news.cfm?match=16848
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

Per City Councilman Chris Jerram, Bluestone development is buying property on and off of South Saddlecreek Road and place holding for a future project. I was able to find about 4 of the properties on Pacific directly East of Donna's Darlings. I realize this is not a UNMC development, however it is probably stemming from all they have done and I could not find a better thread!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Fascinating info...I really think in the future that there will exist a high density corridor from Aksarben to south Saddle Creek to Leavenworth and all the way downtown.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

jelizh wrote:Per City Councilman Chris Jerram, Bluestone development is buying property on and off of South Saddlecreek Road and place holding for a future project. I was able to find about 4 of the properties on Pacific directly East of Donna's Darlings. I realize this is not a UNMC development, however it is probably stemming from all they have done and I could not find a better thread!
Big fan of Bluestone's ambition.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Bluestone has also bought all of the property other than the Masonic Manor on that block. The stretch on Leavenworth is a strip mall with a Chinese restaurant, etc. south across Leavenworth street from Valentinos. They just completed the purchase of all the lots behind that strip mall along 51 St. I know it isn't UNMC but I couldn't find anywhere else to post it.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

jelizh wrote:Per City Councilman Chris Jerram, Bluestone development is buying property on and off of South Saddlecreek Road and place holding for a future project. I was able to find about 4 of the properties on Pacific directly East of Donna's Darlings. I realize this is not a UNMC development, however it is probably stemming from all they have done and I could not find a better thread!
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

hatwate wrote:
Actually, looking at the Assessor's website the 4 properties in this string are owned by Saddlecreek 1011 LLC (c/o Bluestone..). That same LLC owns a big parcel at 1011 S. Saddle Creek Road just north of those 4 properties. It just isn't marked with the c/o Bluestone....
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

hatwate wrote:Bluestone has also bought all of the property other than the Masonic Manor on that block. The stretch on Leavenworth is a strip mall with a Chinese restaurant, etc. south across Leavenworth street from Valentinos. They just completed the purchase of all the lots behind that strip mall along 51 St. I know it isn't UNMC but I couldn't find anywhere else to post it.
Nothing had better happen to Three Happiness or I'm going to be irate!
Fresh03
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Fresh03 »

I live a block away from where this and have heard a few rumblings. At first it was going to be a smaller scale apartment complex but they were able to purchase the one remaining holdout. The rumor is now it is going to be a 300 unit apartment complex.

Bluestone approached Elmwood Tower about purchasing some of their land so they could have direct access to 52nd street but were turned down by Elmwood Tower.

I think it would be cool if they would tear up that strip mall and replace it with retail on the bottom and apartments on top. Meaning Three Happiness would have to relocate for a little while.

I will keep everyone updated as I hear more.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That will be a really dense block. Maybe we could break these last few posts off into the rumor section?