All Saints Catholic School / St. Frances Cabrini

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

swinquest
Home Owners Association

All Saints Catholic School / St. Frances Cabrini

Post by swinquest »

I am the website administrator for All Saints Catholic School off of 10th & William Streets. I have been looking for history of the school (and for St. Frances Cabrini) for quite some time but have never been able to find anything.

I would like to be able to find something to be able to place on the site so people can be educated on the school and how it has progressed through its long history.

Does anyone know of a resource that can tell me about the history, or know the history personally, so that I may add it to the website?
Brad
City Council

Re: All Saints Catholic School / St. Frances Cabrini

Post by Brad »

Did you check with the American Italian Heritage Society? I believe they have some of that info, they usually have some of it on display at the Festa. Also, the landmarks book has some info on it as well.

I know the school is made up of several parishes, but can't remember which ones they are. Back in the day the school was also called St. Frances Cabrini, but they changed the name when they added the other parishes too.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this originally St. Philomena?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this originally St. Philomena?
I thought that was actually closer to Downtown?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have never been very good about this neighborhood, but I think my father still refers to this as St Philomena,
The name being changed in the late 50's to honor Mother Carbrina, the first America saint?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like St. Philomena has moved a few times...

http://www.archomaha.org/about/history/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

City of Omaha Landmarks: St. Philomena's Catholic Church

St. Philomena's Catholic Church
(St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Church and Rectory)
1335 South 10th Street
1908-1910
Architect: Thomas Kimball

Designated Omaha Landmark: February 13, 1979

Built as St. Philomena’s Cathedral in 1908, this structure retained cathedral status until St. Cecilia’s Cathedral was substantially completed (in about 1916). In 1958 the name of the church was changed to St. Frances Cabrini, to honor Mother Cabrini, the first American citizen canonized.

Designed by the notable Omaha architect Thomas Kimball, St. Frances Cabrini Church is significant as an early work in the Spanish Renaissance revival style, a style that reached its zenith in American architecture between 1915 and 1940.

(This building is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places.)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

3 names and three locations... probably the only parish to claim that title.

1856 - Opened as St Mary's at 8th and Harney
1865 - Changed its name to St. Philomena
1868 - Moved to 9th and Howard
1910 - Moved to 10th and Williams
1958 - Changed name to St. Frances Cabrini
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There is an interesting report found here: St. Philomenan Report that has a bibliography for you.
swinquest
Home Owners Association

Post by swinquest »

Brad wrote:Did you check with the American Italian Heritage Society?  I believe they have some of that info, they usually have some of it on display at the Festa.  Also, the landmarks book has some info on it as well.

I know the school is made up of several parishes, but can't remember which ones they are.  Back in the day the school was also called St. Frances Cabrini, but they changed the name when they added the other parishes too.
The school is now only made up of St. Frances Cabrini, St. Patrick's (which is closing this Sunday) and St. Joseph's. This changed last summer due to the Archdiocese study regarding schools east of 72nd, where some closed.

They used to be supported by St. Francis Cabrini, St. Patrick's, St. Joseph, St. Rose, St. Bridget, St. Mary Mag, St. Ann and Immaculate Conception.

I haven't checked with the AIHS. I'll have to check with them to see if they have anything that they can provide.

Thank you.
nwenn
New to the Neighborhood

Post by nwenn »

Try contacting Gary Kastirck- He gives South Omaha tours
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this originally St. Philomena?
I thought that was actually closer to Downtown?
Both of the original St Philomena's were downtown. It was transferred to what is now Francis Cabrini in the 1920 era. The first building was a cabin. The second was a church that was, even by then, too beat up to fix and was more valuable to the church as commercial property. It was downtown (location?). Francis Cabrini was renamed from Philomena to Cabrini in the later years of the 1920's-30's IIRC. Not sure why.

The condensations of the school began in the mid 1980's with the two Italian churches and St Patrick's going in. Others were added. That school was picked due to the least cost of code upgrades and capacity between the area schools.

Cabrini makes insanely good spaghetti twice a year. If you haven't been there, go.
RVG
New to the Neighborhood

Post by RVG »

I went to grade school here in the 70's. At the time I started in 1971, St. Frances Cabrini Grade School, and St. Patrick's Grade School on 14th & Castelar had just merged, and changed their name to "Catholic Southeast Educational Center" I and II, respectively. Center I (St Frances) had K-5th grade, while Center II (St. Patrick's) had 6-8th grade. Most students then went on to the now closed Paul VI High for 9-12th grades. I was told while attending school there that the reason for the name change of the Church from St. Philomena's to St. Frances Cabrini was because it was discovered that St. Philomena was never an actual saint.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Thanks for the corrections.

Still would like to know why they didn't just move St. Philomena's to St. Cecilia's since the first church was the Cathedral and the second was a replacement.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bigredmed wrote:Still would like to know why they didn't just move St. Philomena's to St. Cecilia's since the first church was the Cathedral and the second was a replacement.
Because St Cecilia's was way out in those suburbs, who was going to walk all that way for church?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/st-frances-c ... 17bb5.html
As 10th Street south of downtown Omaha resurges with new commercial and residential projects, at least one corner site will remain home base for schoolkids and church and neighborhood-related functions.

The Christ Child Center at 10th and William Streets, a community hub that closed last year amid declining attendance and funding, has been purchased by and is to become an extension of the neighboring St. Frances Cabrini Church and its All Saints grade school.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Also check with the Douglas County Historical Society.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MTO wrote:Also check with the Douglas County Historical Society.
Are you responding to the posts from two years ago?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Coyote wrote:
MTO wrote:Also check with the Douglas County Historical Society.
Are you responding to the posts from two years ago?
Yelp I am
15-17, 26, 32