Anderson building

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association

Anderson building

Post by mistergutierrez »

I've just noticed that there is some work going on in the Anderson Building, in the corner of 24th and Jones. There is a container and it seems there are clearing the inside of building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Building

I hope there is some kind of rehab project because it is a cool building and, although there are some sketchy apartment buildings down the street, it could help to boost the 24th corridor between Leavenworth and Dodge.
Anyone knows what exactly is going on?
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Anderson building

Post by iamjacobm »

24th Street is due for a big jump in quality here pretty quick. A new hotel a rehabbed apartment area around Howard and now a possible rehab here will really change things.

I am wondering if developers are trying to capitalize on the DT/Midtown redevelopment fun, but are trying to avoid the high land costs of the two. We could be getting a really strong pretty large urban core.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I noticed they are working on eletricals for "Anderson Apartments LLC"
Are there already apartments there, or is this a new project?
Records show that Anderson Apartments LLC bought this building at the end of 2013.
MDWLAW13
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MDWLAW13 »

I have been told that Landmark Group is renovating the building.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

It's great to see another graceful old building being renovated, and good to see the desolate stretch between downtown and midtown starting to pick up.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Developer tests market with projects that have no convenient spaces for cars
Cindy Gonzalez: World-Herald staff writer wrote:
Built in 1924 at 701 S. 24th St., the Anderson has been vacant several years, but its position between downtown and midtown urban renewal efforts made it attractive to Paladino. He bought the 27,291-square-foot structure for about $90,000. He said he does not plan to request TIF or other public financing for the Anderson.

“It was cheap, and it’s a cool building,” said Paladino, who expects the renovation tab to be about $1.5 million.

Rents would range from about $600 for a 300-square-foot micro-apartment to about $900 for larger units. Each would have washer-drier connections and access to an interior courtyard with a grilling area, but be designed to be affordable “workforce housing.”

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the three-story brick Anderson is a classic and rare example of a still-standing structure built in its era for the dual purpose of commercial activity and residential living, said Jennifer Honebrink of Alley Poyner Macchietto Architecture, who wrote the register application.

Marked by two distinct entrances, the Anderson retains its Jones Street entryway for apartment dwellers and a 24th Street entrance for businesses.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Also mentioned that there would be a coffee shop and a soul food restaurant among the five available retail bays.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Finally. I've felt like a lot of the urban apartment projects we've seen so far have been completed with a significant degree of suburbanism in regard to parking. Many have involved tearing down adjacent homes to build large suburban style parking areas for residents. That kind of defeats the purpose when density is a significant part of urbanity. In Chicago, apartments offer a max of one spot per unit and it'll require some effort to park in.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A couple new windows are in on the street and it makes the building look 100 times better already.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

"Well Grounded" coffee shop is open.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

"Soul Food Cafe" is now being developed to the south of Well Grounded.
redhotchili2333
New to the Neighborhood

Post by redhotchili2333 »

I stopped in at Well Grounded the other day. I spoke with the barista who is the proprietor and she was very optimistic. I hope the building owner is paying her to occupy the space, its going to take quite a bit more in the area to bring the customer profile they seek.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just found this on the Anderson Building and Micro-Apartment Living from Dave Paladino and Landmark Group:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Micro-apartments now cropping up in some unlikely metros
Micro apartments are still a new trend in the U.S.—Seattle, with about 3,000, probably has the largest market—so you can't read too much into what data do exist. But a study published last year by the Urban Land Institute (ULI) backs Grgurich’s assertion. Researchers found that units smaller than 600 square feet rented for $2.65 per square foot—54 percent more than apartments between 600 and 1,000 square feet and 81 percent more than apartments larger than 1,000 square feet

In Omaha, developer Dave Paladino is building about 80 micro units in a gentrifying neighborhood on the edge of the city’s core and trying to decide whether he can cram a washer-dryer into apartments as small as 230 square feet. "It feels like living in a closet," The Strangler reported on Seattle's burgeoning micro-apartment scene.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

It would be nice to see these building used again but I don't think micro apartments will benefit the neighborhood. Filling these buildings with overly small units at below market rental rates did not attract the best residents in the past. One would think gutting them and making huge lofts might be a better option as the renovation would be faster and less expensive. But to each his own good luck with this Dave.

Is this plan going to include just the Anderson Building or is it going to include some of the other closed buildings shown on the map as well?
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... sp=sharing
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

U R my Helix wrote:It would be nice to see these building used again but I don't think micro apartments will benefit the neighborhood. Filling these buildings with overly small units at below market rental rates did not attract the best residents in the past. One would think gutting them and making huge lofts might be a better option as the renovation would be faster and less expensive. But to each his own good luck with this Dave.

Is this plan going to include just the Anderson Building or is it going to include some of the other closed buildings shown on the map as well?
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... sp=sharing
In the video he kept talking about Millennials, so I had a feeling these won't be cheap. Micro apartments tend to be fairly expensive, especially for the square footage.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I think micro apartments make more sense in the middle of the old market or nearby TD Ameritrade Park. It seems to me that they make the most sense in places where the price per square foot is very high, and of course the old market is one of if not the most expensive neighborhood nei the state.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

How much are these? They look awful.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

daveoma wrote:I think micro apartments make more sense in the middle of the old market or nearby TD Ameritrade Park. It seems to me that they make the most sense in places where the price per square foot is very high, and of course the old market is one of if not the most expensive neighborhood nei the state.
Not only that, but Omaha in general is a cheap city to live in. I can see microapartments taking off in places that have ridiculous rents, like a Seattle or San Francisco. I'm not sure I understand who would pay more per square foot for a smaller apartment in an area that's not exactly in the midst of an entertainment district?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

NEDodger wrote:
daveoma wrote:I think micro apartments make more sense in the middle of the old market or nearby TD Ameritrade Park. It seems to me that they make the most sense in places where the price per square foot is very high, and of course the old market is one of if not the most expensive neighborhood nei the state.
Not only that, but Omaha in general is a cheap city to live in. I can see microapartments taking off in places that have ridiculous rents, like a Seattle or San Francisco. I'm not sure I understand who would pay more per square foot for a smaller apartment in an area that's not exactly in the midst of an entertainment district?
Why, Millenials, of course! :roll:
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

:lol: That's right!
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

I don't think Micro apartments are meant to be low end. I think the idea is giving up square footage for high end finishes in a building with lot of amenities in a very desirable location. I am not sure this is checking all those boxes but I am sure a small number of these will sell quickly. I don't know if there is a giant demand.
mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association

Article in the OWH about the Anderson building and the surronding area:
http://www.omaha.com/money/omaha-develo ... 4a48c.html
I believe Paladino owns the two vacant buildings in the north side of Jones between the 22nd and the 24th.
By the way, Well Ground Coffee is a very nice coffee shop.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

It looks like this project is finished and at last count was completed as a 28 unit rehab. One bedroom apartments currently advertised are $745 to $800 and are running at 600 to 800 sf.

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

That looks horrible with the vents and the electrical conduit showing! Rent for that should be a 350 a month!
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

"Taste of Soul" is now open
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF request for two apt buildings at 2230 and 2236 Jones right behind this building. Included here as they are being proposed by the same owner.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

33 1BR units from 450 to 550 SF ranging from $625-$675 per month.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ber/07.pdf
mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association

Risky business! Unless something is done with the President's Row apartments, that area will keep being too sketchy.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Are the presidents row apts capable of being renovated or are they pretty rough? I know they look rough on the outside.
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

“Naughty Buddha Burger Bar” has opened where the Coffee Shop used to be. 100% Vegan and serving Wine and Beer.
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

Buddha Burger bar has now opened a “Buddha Vegan Ice Cream and Chocolate bar” located a few stores down from there original store in the Anderson Building.