Tenth Street Market

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Tenth Street Market

Post by Brad »

Year Round Farmers Market (10th and Pacific)

Omaha Farmers Market plans to go year-round at spot near downtown

http://www.omaha.com/go/omaha-farmers-m ... f6878.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarah Baker Hansen / World-Herald staff writer wrote:

Vic Gutman, who manages the markets in the Old Market and Aksarben Village, has signed a purchase agreement to buy a building on 10th and Pacific Streets, adjacent to the site of the new Blue Barn Theater. He plans to turn the Postal Annex Building into a year-round fresh food market that will house permanent stalls selling mostly locally produced meat, cheese, eggs, honey, jam and jelly and other prepared foods.

Gutman said his model for the market is the North Market in Columbus, Ohio.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Year Round Farmers Market (10th and Pacific)

Post by iamjacobm »

That is freaking awesome!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That would be Uber Cool!

:banger: :banana: :dancing: :woot: :coolwoot: :y
ILexpat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ILexpat »

This will be sweet, especially if my mental image is right! I wonder what "a number of years" will translate into.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

I have thought about this for Downtown for a longtime. I hope they leave enough space for the weekend vendors to come on Saturday and Sundays for a Super Farmers Market.

In other cities some have specialty and health food grocers inside or attached to their indoor year round farmers markets. Also many cities also have prepared food stalls to create food courts of independent or local restaurants (no chain restaurants) who use the fresh ingredients in their dishes.

I always thought the city should annex Con Agra's front lawn for a year round farmer's market complex but the Postal Annex may be a more appropriate size for Omaha then what I envisioned.
l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

Maybe our version of Seattle's Pike Place Market? First and maybe second floor for produce/perishables, second/third floor for jewelry, candles/incense, restoration bits etc. shops...basement/track level...who knows? Hope I'm close.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Bravo! I have been to Pike Place Market several times, and it is always packed with people. The several times a week waterfront market near downtown Olympia, Washington is also a huge tourist attraction, as well as being popular with city residents. It has seasonal fruit and veggie vendors, restaurants and craft type vendors inside. I understand it runs about 9 months a year. Boston has Faneuil Hall. Toronto has something very similar. Both are major tourist attractions. And the River Market in KC has a 365 day a year indoor/outdoor market that we ALWAYS visit whenever we are in KC. The ethnic food stores have items impossible to find in Omaha. And the prices on most items are dirt cheap.

I hope that this new food and vendor market in Little Italy will be well thought out. I don't expect Pike Market or Faneuil Hall, but if we could approach what KC does it would make me very, very happy!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I also have been to Pike Market and Faneuil Hall, and can just imagine the potential. I can't look back right now, but does anyone know the Square Footage here? Or have the present floor plans?
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I think this part of downtown is about to see a lot in the next few years. With development rapidly filing up the Old Market, and these massive investments in Public Space in the area, a lot more people are going to want to live there. I think it will become the next hot residential neighborhood in the downtown area.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

A potentially great project in an area ripe for further development.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Read the article in the WH this morning. This is big. I hope they study the successful central markets that have already been mentioned. What immediately came to mind was the City Market in the historic district of Charleston, South Carolina----that place is awesome----it's has pretty much become the heart of the city. I just hope they do it right.
BIG-T
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BIG-T »

l-dude wrote:Maybe our version of Seattle's Pike Place Market?   First and maybe second floor for produce/perishables, second/third floor for jewelry, candles/incense, restoration bits etc. shops...basement/track level...who knows?  Hope I'm close.

That would be nice.
This is needed downtown I know I will be down there more
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Edit: Was confused about which building this was, but figured it out. I always get this one and the building across from the Burlington mixed up.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Li ... D=18018864" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

Hopefully they have deep pockets and stay with their plans and goals and don't fill in spaces with Subway shops. My favorite is the http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in San Francisco. I would assume there will be a lot of start ups and or mom/pop places. Those easily fail and thus the need for deep pockets.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Omah ... 36551.html
Hopes are that the new year-round market would open in Spring or Fall of 2017.
Still a wait in front of us.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

I just hope this thing doesn't turn into some crappy flea market where you buy imitation designer hand bags, fragrances, police scanners, crack pipes, ghetto t-shirts, and used 8 track tapes and VHS and Beta movies.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

You can help:

Omaha Pubilc Market Customer Survey
Dear neighbor,
Vic Gutman and Associates (VGA), in conjunction with Project for Public Spaces (http://www.pps.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is conducting a brief online survey about your food shopping habits, satisfaction with Omaha’s farmers markets and potential interest in a year-round, indoor public market in Omaha. Your feedback may help you get the farmers and public markets that better serve your needs. All replies are anonymous and will be treated confidentially. Please respond by 5pm CT, Friday, September 12.
Thank you in advance,
Vic Gutman & Associates (VGA)
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

I'm just curious, how much parking is available at this site or nearby?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OmahaOmaha wrote:I'm just curious, how much parking is available at this site or nearby?
Correct me if I'm wrong, I though I saw this on some blue prints, but isn't the lower level going to be parking?
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

With the apparent development about to happen at the postal facility directly across from the Burlington has anybody heard anything further yet on the proposed market place planned for the other building directly to the southwest. I would love to see something like this in area.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

omahahawk wrote:With the apparent development about to happen at the postal facility directly across from the Burlington has anybody heard anything further yet on the proposed market place planned for the other building directly to the southwest.  I would love to see something like this in area.
I don't know about the development side of things, but this year round farmers market project is certainly still in the works. I've got a buddy that has served on a focus group and attended several meeting to share input into what consumers want to see at this market. Good to hear their listening to their customer base, and preparing to serve them as requested...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Looks great!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Is this project still a go? I thought otherwise...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Is this project still a go? I thought otherwise...
Their Facebook was made a week ago.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:
Coyote wrote:Is this project still a go? I thought otherwise...
Their Facebook was made a week ago.
The article said that it was going to take 3 or 4 years to get going. Its been just over a year since the announcement was made.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The are saying spring 2017.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

This is such a neat idea. Something like this might do well in the Blackstone area as well, assuming there's not anything like that already there.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

This looks really cool but I hope there's not so much open space on the inside like in that image.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Why not?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

The look and feel of the big open space seems more like a food court than a market to me.

I've really liked a number of markets that I've been to and all had a busy more confined atmosphere.
San Telmo market in Buenos Aires:

Mercado de San Miguel in Madrid:

Union Market in D.C.:

Now some markets can feel too busy and claustrophobic as well.

The Coyoacan Market in Mexico City:

It was fun but when it was super busy one day it felt almost too hectic
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

You can still get the 'confined' feeling by putting things close together, and by putting awnings over the stands of produce. They can also suspend things from the ceiling, like lights, ductwork, or architectural touches.

The Bride
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

There are definitely a lot of things they can do to give it an intimate feeling, which I hope they do because it fits my personal preference and I intend to go here :D

Either way I think this is going to be an asset to the city I just got a food court vibe from that picture.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Development plans along South 10th Street

It may include "A local brewery's Tasting Room"?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Development plans along South 10th Street

It may include "A local brewery's Tasting Room"?
Lucky Bucket having a presence DT would be great.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

By 2017, a year-round indoor market in downtown Omaha

New architectural designs also provide a better view of a market, built upon a slope, that would have two main entrances, one on 11th Street and the other on 10th.
The historic and open character of the warehouse is to be maintained, Gutman said, although some windows will be replaced, certain walls opened and details spruced up.
Tenant spaces would vary in size and be defined by their individual counters.
A grand staircase and elevator will take visitors from floor to floor on the five days a week the market is expected to be open.

As it stands now, the layout calls for:
» A 30,000-square-foot main market hall to be accessed from 11th Street. That space is to feature nearly 25 permanent tenants, such as the butcher and baker, and a handful of day stalls for short-term tenants testing concepts and wares.
» An event space and more day vendors in the parking area outside the 11th Street entrance.
» A 3,000-square-foot mezzanine area with a tasting room for a deli and microbrewery.
» A 30,000-square-foot lower level that opens on to 10th Street and features a few sit-down restaurants, an area for events such as health- and food-related discussions, and a “back end” section for food production.
» A 4,000-square-foot rooftop area with an enclosed restaurant and bar as well as open-air gathering space.
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

skinzfan23 wrote:By 2017, a year-round indoor market in downtown Omaha
New architectural designs also provide a better view of a market, built upon a slope, that would have two main entrances, one on 11th Street and the other on 10th.
The historic and open character of the warehouse is to be maintained, Gutman said, although some windows will be replaced, certain walls opened and details spruced up.
A grand staircase and elevator will take visitors from floor to floor on the five days a week the market is expected to be open.

» A 30,000-square-foot main market hall to be accessed from 11th Street. That space is to feature nearly 25 permanent tenants, such as the butcher and baker, and a handful of day stalls for short-term tenants testing concepts and wares.
» An event space and more day vendors in the parking area outside the 11th Street entrance.
» A 3,000-square-foot mezzanine area with a tasting room for a deli and microbrewery.
» A 30,000-square-foot lower level that opens on to 10th Street and features a few sit-down restaurants, an area for events such as health- and food-related discussions, and a “back end” section for food production.
» A 4,000-square-foot rooftop area with an enclosed restaurant and bar as well as open-air gathering space.
Connecting some dots. Note "deli and microbrewery" above. Benson Brewery recently abandoned plans for a Deli/brewery in Blackstone. Today Benson Brewery is tweeting that this is going to be a really cool space, with high ceilings. Fermentation tanks love high ceilings. Wonder what information might be coming out at today's meeting... :;):
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

yellowcolumbia wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:By 2017, a year-round indoor market in downtown Omaha

Connecting some dots. Note "deli and microbrewery" above. Benson Brewery recently abandoned plans for a Deli/brewery in Blackstone. Today Benson Brewery is tweeting that this is going to be a really cool space, with high ceilings. Fermentation tanks love high ceilings. Wonder what information might be coming out at today's meeting... :;):
Good catch, I thought the same thing when I saw this Benson Brewery tweet show up on my twitter feed.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is going to be awesome.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I've only seen indoor markets in big cities, so in my opinion this is another feather in Omaha's big city hat.