Tenth Street Market

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Re: Tenth Street Market

Post by guy4omaha »

Disappointing. I, too, was really looking forward to this. But we must persevere. One good thing out of this announcement at least for me is that I learned of the Morningsky website. Looks like another cool economic development website.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
redhotchili2333
New to the Neighborhood

Post by redhotchili2333 »

What happened? This is really disappointing.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

redhotchili2333 wrote:What happened? This is really disappointing.
They were not very transparent in their announcement the project had tanked.. Their spokesperson just basically said “Due to a variety of reasons, now is not the time for 10th Street Market” and that was it..

I wonder where, over the last few years, the $3.4 million dollars raised actually went :what: ..

In any case, I agree with everyone’s sentiment- this is a big disappointment and another big fail for the downtown area...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
asherballa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by asherballa »

Downtown Omaha is teetering on the brink of being a total food desert, with no relief in sight for years (if a downtown Hy-Vee that we all hope for even comes to fruition). Tell me why anyone would want to live in a downtown with zero walkability? The closest grocery store is what, Wohlner's in MTC?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

asherballa wrote:Downtown Omaha is teetering on the brink of being a total food desert, with no relief in sight for years (if a downtown Hy-Vee that we all hope for even comes to fruition). Tell me why anyone would want to live in a downtown with zero walkability? The closest grocery store is what, Wohlner's in MTC?
Supermercado Nuestra is the closest grocery store downtown.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Most people don’t count it, but Cubbies on 13th street is actually pretty close to a full service grocery store.. It’s not a Hy Vee or Baker’s, but it’s close to the model.. And is in the Old Market area...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Linkin5 wrote:
asherballa wrote:Downtown Omaha is teetering on the brink of being a total food desert, with no relief in sight for years (if a downtown Hy-Vee that we all hope for even comes to fruition). Tell me why anyone would want to live in a downtown with zero walkability? The closest grocery store is what, Wohlner's in MTC?
Supermercado Nuestra is the closest grocery store downtown.
I love how everyone forgets that one.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Most people don’t count it, but Cubbies on 13th street is actually pretty close to a full service grocery store.. It’s not a Hy Vee or Baker’s, but it’s close to the model.. And is in the Old Market area...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Cubbies actually has a pretty decent selection. Granted, the prices are higher than HyVee or Bakers, but they still have a nice selection.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Just sad. Sad. Sad news. Every single time we travel to KC we will spend an hour at their River Market, stocking up on produce, ethnic foods and seasonings before we head home. I've been doing this for 20 years. Omaha is truly missing out on a major attraction both for residents as well as tourists.
I really hope that somebody picks this ball up and runs with it.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

nativeomahan wrote:Just sad. Sad. Sad news. Every single time we travel to KC we will spend an hour at their River Market, stocking up on produce, ethnic foods and seasonings before we head home. I've been doing this for 20 years. Omaha is truly missing out on a major attraction both for residents as well as tourists.
I really hope that somebody picks this ball up and runs with it.
Well we just not have the population to support something like this.
15-17, 26, 32
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'd love to know why they pulled out. I've not heard anything about any protests from the neighborhood. It seems to me this should've been a slam dunk.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

daveoma wrote:I'd love to know why they pulled out. I've not heard anything about any protests from the neighborhood. It seems to me this should've been a slam dunk.
Financing I would assume. I imagine something like this wouldn't be the easiest to line up.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Garrett wrote:
daveoma wrote:I'd love to know why they pulled out. I've not heard anything about any protests from the neighborhood. It seems to me this should've been a slam dunk.
Financing I would assume. I imagine something like this wouldn't be the easiest to line up.
$3.4 million dollars were donated to this project over the past few years and as I mentioned before, I wonder where that money went, or how it was used..

The other thing that bugs me about this non-transparent announcement the project/concept had fallen through, is that no one in the mayors office, or the city council official who presides over the district, had any idea the project was about to tank. No clue at all.. NOBODY KNEW :what: ..

Something does not settle right with me on this one..and that leads me to believe something fishy was/is afoot.. But that’s me...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Garrett wrote:
$3.4 million dollars were donated to this project over the past few years and as I mentioned before, I wonder where that money went, or how it was used..

The other thing that bugs me about this non-transparent announcement the project/concept had fallen through, is that no one in the mayors office, or the city council official who presides over the district, had any idea the project was about to tank. No clue at all.. NOBODY KNEW :what: ..

Something does not settle right with me on this one..and that leads me to believe something fishy was/is afoot.. But that’s me...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
The $$$ trail will eventually bottom this out. It always does.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Garrett wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
What does that mean?
15-17, 26, 32
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

This was supposed to be something similar to Pike Place Market in Seattle or Reading Terminal Market in Philly, yes?

What a shame it isn't happening. :(
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MTO wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Garrett wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
What does that mean?

It means that if there was over 3 million donated for this at some point it will be accounted for. At that time it will be determined if it is all above board or if something was fishy. Not that difficult.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
aligner
New to the Neighborhood

Post by aligner »

My thought is that a grocer has been identified and would not commit if that market was going to compete with them. My opinion is not based on anything other than wishful thinking.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Garrett wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Let’s hope so. And soon. Maybe it’s the cynic in me, but as I alluded to before, I smell a rat here..and I’m not liking the odor...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Yeah, it would be nice to learn more about this. Kind of surprised OWH hasn't reported a little more on this considering how much hype this thing has gotten for so long. I know I was really looking forward to this place. I also really hope another person or group is able to continue on with this project...be nice to learn more on this.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

This is something I don't understand about Omaha and didn't even know much about til we moved to Detroit. We had been to KC's River Market before but I thought it was kind of a letdown. It was ok but rather small.

In the Detroit Metro there are what locals call Fruit Markets. Randazzo's, Wesborn, others. Google them. They are basically grocery stores but focus on fresh locally grown produce.

The thing I really want to mention is Eastern Market. It's enormous. It's a produce market that mainly sells wholesale but does sell retail. You have to buy in bulk. It is amazing. https://www.easternmarket.com/

There is absolutely no reason Omaha can't make one of these go. Maybe not as big as eastern market but definitely along the lines of a River Market. When we got married my wife, who is originally from Detroit, asked new friends where the fruit markets were. Their answers were "Bakers, HyVee", etc. She was surprised that in the middle of America's breadbasket she couldn't find fresh local produce. Sure, there are farmers markets but they are seasonal. Of course, when she moved to Omaha there were no Starbucks either, so she was no so sold on Omaha anyway. Ultimately she found Hill of Beans so Starbucks wasn't as big a deal & they did finally come to Omaha.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

NovakOmaha wrote:This is something I don't understand about Omaha and didn't even know much about til we moved to Detroit. We had been to KC's River Market before but I thought it was kind of a letdown. It was ok but rather small.

In the Detroit Metro there are what locals call Fruit Markets. Randazzo's, Wesborn, others. Google them. They are basically grocery stores but focus on fresh locally grown produce.

The thing I really want to mention is Eastern Market. It's enormous. It's a produce market that mainly sells wholesale but does sell retail. You have to buy in bulk. It is amazing. https://www.easternmarket.com/

There is absolutely no reason Omaha can't make one of these go. Maybe not as big as eastern market but definitely along the lines of a River Market. When we got married my wife, who is originally from Detroit, asked new friends where the fruit markets were. Their answers were "Bakers, HyVee", etc. She was surprised that in the middle of America's breadbasket she couldn't find fresh local produce. Sure, there are farmers markets but they are seasonal. Of course, when she moved to Omaha there were no Starbucks either, so she was no so sold on Omaha anyway. Ultimately she found Hill of Beans so Starbucks wasn't as big a deal & they did finally come to Omaha.
That helps us now to understand how you could ever have left this place you love so dearly............Shes the boss! :lafcry:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

NovakOmaha wrote:This is something I don't understand about Omaha and didn't even know much about til we moved to Detroit. We had been to KC's River Market before but I thought it was kind of a letdown. It was ok but rather small.

It is disappointing. I have mentioned the one in Dallas before which isn't even close to the established ones in the Midwest, but it has a great selection of mostly local food. They have an open air shed for the weekend larger crowds and a permanent interior building with fresh seafood, meat, coffee, beer and some "maker" products like leathers and housing items. Has large crowds, already spinning off new development and is where my friends down there get the majority of their food for the week.

A shame a state as proud of its agriculture as Nebraska doesn't have a permanent home for local food and vendors.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:

That helps us now to understand how you could ever have left this place you love so dearly............Shes the boss! :lafcry:
Well, that really didn't have anything to do with us leaving. But having been married for over 20 years there isn't anything I wouldn't do for her. We looked at many different cities before selecting Detroit. We moved because our business was outgrowing Omaha and we needed certain things Omaha either didn't have or wouldn't have. Anyway, I do love Omaha and always will.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

NovakOmaha wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:

Well, that really didn't have anything to do with us leaving. But having been married for over 20 years there isn't anything I wouldn't do for her. We looked at many different cities before selecting Detroit. We moved because our business was outgrowing Omaha and we needed certain things Omaha either didn't have or wouldn't have. Anyway, I do love Omaha and always will.
Don’t worry, you didn’t need to explain yourself for anybody over the emotional age of ten.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Always good to heard Brad on Grow Omaha. Their comments on this place lead me to check DC Assessor to see if anything changed here and it looks like The Sherwood Foundation has control of this property now.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Did you see when? Will they make this a philanthropic project?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:49 am Did you see when? Will they make this a philanthropic project?
Changed hands in February.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

iamjacobm wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:55 am
Coyote wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:49 am Did you see when? Will they make this a philanthropic project?
Changed hands in February.
cue OWH....investigative story please, thank you.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Tenth Street Market plan falls through

Post by Coyote »

Reading back, it looks like Sherwood had this back in September...
amorningsky wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:04 pm A board member of the Tenth Street Market project announced yesterday that the project has fallen through.
“Due to a variety of factors, it has become clear that now is not the time for the public market,” said Kristin Williams, director of community initiatives for the Sherwood Foundation. “As such, the board has decided to discontinue its efforts.”
https://www.morningsky.com/omaha/posts/ ... ls-through
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:46 am Always good to heard Brad on Grow Omaha.
Thanks, it's so fun!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There must be something in the works here. This company owns the building now and had requested a rezoning that was deemed unnecessary for whatever use they proposed.

https://spgomaha.com/
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:50 pm There must be something in the works here. This company owns the building now and had requested a rezoning that was deemed unnecessary for whatever use they proposed.

I doubt it will be the market setup that we were all psyched for, but at least it will have a purpose.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Louie wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:26 am
iamjacobm wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:50 pm There must be something in the works here. This company owns the building now and had requested a rezoning that was deemed unnecessary for whatever use they proposed.

I doubt it will be the market setup that we were all psyched for, but at least it will have a purpose.
Based on the company's portfolio, multi-family residential and maybe some commercial/retail on the ground floor? Though I am not sure the current floorplate is conducive to residential.

This property is caddy corner of their Nove Loft's property. Would be cool if they added additional floors to take advantage of the potential views of the downtown skyline if they go residential.

Here's some pictures of the view from the condo building next door (sorry if these disappear after the property is sold):

SaveTheOCHClocktower
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SaveTheOCHClocktower »

Sentinel Property Group has applied for rezoning of the former streetcar barn at 1100 Pierce Street from GI-General Industrial District to NBD-Neighborhood Business District. Attached is the Notice of Request for Rezoning scheduled for November 2, 2022, before the planning board and images of the proposed development. The stated purpose is "To Rezone the existing parcel to allow for a mix of multifamily residential and commercial uses."

With the completion of the 5-storey, block-long Nove apartments behemoth across the street at 10th and Pierce and similar projects around the city, it is clear that the big money is in big apartment buildings. I just hope that the city and developers remember that Little Italy is, first and foremost, a neighboorhood - that is its charm. Can we try to keep the new projects somewhat proportional to the character of the neighborhood?

The prior benefactor of the streetcar barn property had required that any development be commercial and not residential. Based on the current owner's stated purpose to mix residential and commercial, I assume that the earlier requirement was dropped. Do I think that the property will end up with a substantial commercial use? I will not hold my breath.
Attachments
1100 Pierce image 1280.jpg
1100 Pierce image 1280.jpg (202.33 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
Jins123
Home Owners Association

Post by Jins123 »

They still have a “future home of tenth street market 2018” sign on the building. I silently weep when I walk past it every time.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

SaveTheOCHClocktower wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:35 pm I just hope that the city and developers remember that Little Italy is, first and foremost, a neighboorhood - that is its charm. Can we try to keep the new projects somewhat proportional to the character of the neighborhood?
I'm against this form of NIMBYism. My only request is that they will include some for sale properties at least at some point.