UNO Dorms

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebrfan
New to the Neighborhood

UNO Dorms

Post by nebrfan »

According to the World Herald (http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1640&u_sid=1387325) there is opposition to increasing UNOs on-campus living options. As a recent graduate of UNO (from western Nebraska), I can testify first hand how the dorms have transformed the campus. It is really irritating to hear the Chancellor of UNK say "Every time you have 12 students go elsewhere, you lower our enrollment by 1 percent. . . . It (UNO housing) has tremendous impact" when slightly more than 10 years ago UNK wasn't even a part of the Unversity system. I ask: Why isn't competition good for UNL/K? Why should UNO be relegated to 'commuter campus' status, especially when most of UNOs programs are with out a doubt better than Kearney's (see US News) and arguably better than some of Lincoln's?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I believe the regents fear UNO being a real threat to the flagship status of UNL. Perhaps not in traditional athletics but with a larger local population base, and with dorms, UNO could explode in population and academics.

UNK shouldn't even be in the picture as far as Omaha is concerned. Even without dormitories, who from Omaha would choose to go to UNK save exclusive degree offerings, of which i'm not even sure there is. They each serve a different purpose entirely. UNO could eclipse UNL with student population very easily given the opportunity, despite lack of football, which could be a big academic marketing opportunity.
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

This is really disgusting if you ask me, typical "good 'ole boys club" at work. I guess it stings UNL's ego that UNO has more nationally ranked programs than UNL...Who would have thought? Both Aviation and Public Administration are now top 15 programs.

There is room for more than one large university in this state. UNK should just be thanking their lucky stars that they are still AROUND, let alone griping about UNO's success. UNL? I guess now that Husker athetlics are considered mediocre at best, academics are finally taking a priority? Please...

People will go where they want to go...If people want to fly or get involved in IT, they will choose UNO. If people want go to law school or study ag science, UNL will be their choice. I guess I could see their point if there was a lot of cross-over academic programs, but there really isn't.

Give UNO their dorms.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I went to UNO last semester and am now going to school in Lincoln. I can atest that many of the people I talk to in Lincoln say that they live in Omaha. (A large majority of students do.) When I asked them why they go here (UNL) they say college life, the dorms, and frats/sororaties(spelling?) which are the same reasons I transferred. There is a waiting list to get into the dorms at Omaha because they literally fill up within a month. Omaha needs these dorms not to only compete with Lincoln but to keep up.

Lincoln is currently remodeling most of their dorms and adding more apartment style housing. I have friends in a remodeled dorm and they are awesome. Anyway, Lincoln wants all the students to someday stay on campus so they are building all these new parking garages, remodeling dorms, and building more apartment style housing for students. They are also adding more bus routes to help students get around faster.

I must say I really hated getting up at 7 am, driving of 45 min (morning interstate rush hour), wait 10 min for a shuttle, and walk a 1/4 mile mile for my first class at 8:30 and barely make it on time.
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

almighty_tuna wrote: I believe the regents fear UNO being a real threat to the flagship status of UNL.
I think you're dead on. Instead of trying to hold UNO down, why not just build up UNL. They are the flagship school and in a major NCAA conference. They have a lot to work with. I think people worry about Omaha having too much power. I think they worry that that having UNO out grow UNL will just add to our influence over the state. I don't even know what to say about UNK. I haven't known anyone that wanted to go out there. I think it might be geared more toward Western Nebraskans or Nebraskans that don’t like larger cities but want a college education. With the UN system trying to hold UNO back I almost wish they would become a Nebraska State University. They could be the flagship of that system. Then they could show UNL what competition is.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Agreed.

If recent trends hold then eventually UNO will catch up with UNL in enrollment. I've attended both UNO and UNL. I enjoy UNO a lot better for many reasons.

1)The professors at UNO were much better. 99% of full time professors at UNO belgong to the American Association of Union Professors. Lincoln professors never joined this for fear of pissing off administration. Thus the UNO professors are paid more, and since UNO can pay their professors more, they often get better professors. I've had the three best teachers of my life in the year and a half that I've been at UNO.

2)The campus is better designed. Everytime it rained at UNL you were walking through puddles all day! What the heck!! UNO's campus is a nice multileveled layout with great sight lines from one side of campus to the other.

3)UNO is more diverse. Yeah they are black people at UNL, they're called the football team. Okay that is a little unfair, and there is a small asian population at UNL, but they are mostly self contained. UNO is way more diverse. A good example is last sunday when I was at the UNO library. I heard people speaking Spanish, Sudanese, Arabic, some Asain language, and what sounded like Greek.

At the UNL library I only heard out-state Nebraska speak. Which makes sense since that seems to be the majority of their population anymore.

4)UNO's campus is in a more urban environment. Though UNL is located right near Lincoln's downtown, unless you are 21, in a frat or like to party there really is nothing to do in Lincoln at night. Blah blah etc.

Streets and I both went to UNL for a semester and both transferred back to Omaha in disgust with Lincoln. It wasn't only us though, I think out of all the people I knew who went there right out of highschool (25 or so), only about 5 are still there while most of them transferred back to Omaha.
Last edited by Swift on Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Also, I plan on some day starting a film school in Omaha in conjunction with UNO as a response to my complete disgust for the UNL film program.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Swift wrote:Agreed.

If recent trends hold then eventually UNO will catch up with UNL in enrollment. I've attended both UNO and UNL. I enjoy UNO a lot better for many reasons.

1)The professors at UNO were much better. 99% of full time professors at UNO belgong to the American Association of Union Professors. Lincoln professors never joined this for fear of pissing off administration. Thus the UNO professors are paid more, and since UNO can pay their professors more, they often get better professors. I've had the three best teachers of my life in the year and a half that I've been at UNO.

2)The campus is better designed. Everytime it rained at UNL you were walking through puddles all day! What the heck!! UNO's campus is a nice multileveled layout with great sight lines from one side of campus to the other.

3)UNO is more diverse. Yeah they are black people at UNL, they're called the football team. Okay that is a little unfair, and there is a small asian population at UNL, but they are mostly self contained. UNO is way more diverse. A good example is last sunday when I was at the UNO library. I heard people speaking Spanish, Sudanese, Arabic, some Asain language, and what sounded like Greek.

At the UNL library I only heard out-state Nebraska speak. Which makes sense since that seems to be the majority of their population anymore.

4)UNO's campus is in a more urban environment. Though UNL is located right near Lincoln's downtown, unless you are 21, in a frat or like to party there really is nothing to do in Lincoln at night. Blah blah etc.

Streets and I both went to UNL for a semester and both transferred back to Omaha in disgust with Lincoln. It wasn't only us though, I think out of all the people I knew who went there right out of highschool (25 or so), only about 5 are still there while most of them transferred back to Omaha.
I could not have said it better.

And with regards to the new dorms at UNO, it is MORE THAN OVERDUE! The opposition to this from UNL and UNK is just more reason for me to despise those schools. They should have the best interests of the NU system in mind, not just their campus.

And I really wish they would build denser university housing...not the suburban style |expletive| apartments that have been built on the main campus. The housing on South Campus, at least Scott Hall, is more urban in nature. So I would love to see more of that, perhaps combined with some high-rise dorms.

Highrise dorms at UNO would be a PERFECT FIT. They have tons of parking space on the west side of campus that could become a sort of "tower community". That combined with a couple large multi level garages offering services on the ground level would really make UNO explode into life.

UNO has SO much potential, and the administration is always talking about how they want to be this urban, cosmopolitan university...well...LET'S SEE SOME ACTION PEOPLE!!!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

( Before I start I actually do know a friend that picked UNK over UNO. But that's his problem.)

Can anyone saw Omaha University! :D To those of you who are always saying that there isn't an anti-Omaha bias look again. UNO is in the largest city in the state. We should be the flagship university. The UNK people shouldn't be surprised that people will pick UNO over UNK. Part of the reason people pick certain schools over one is the atmosphere. I was freinds with a guy who went to UNO and stayed in the dorms near Aksarben. They were really cool. We definantly need to get UNO going strong.

Just think what that would mean for Omaha to have UNO have UNL's numbers and reputation. It would affect things like population, employers and retailers intersted in Omaha, a knife in the heart of brain drain, and so much more. UNO does have so much potential to be one of the biggest things going for this city.

Also didn't UNO just used to be Omaha University? Why did they join up with the UN?
flyOMA wrote:If people want go to law school or study ag science, UNL will be their choice.
Creighton for law school. :)
DTO
PapioGrandpa
New to the Neighborhood

Also didn't UNO just used to be Omaha University?

Post by PapioGrandpa »

For those of you who are younger than most of the neckties hanging in my closet:

If I remember correctly UNO was the Municipal University of Omah until the mid-1960's. It's nickname was (and may still be) West Dodge High.

It was in deep financial trouble and the solution was to merge it into the University of Nebraska. The folks down in Lincoln have always treated UNO like the poor cousin.

Trying to get funding for things in Omaha has always been an upstream swim. Until very recently the advances and expansions came because donors had some say in how their money was spent. Had it been up to those in Lincoln, the Kiewit Insititute would probably have never been built. It was a coalition of businessmen that got the job done.

One of you guys that has the time should go research the dorm issue. I vaguely remember some official being quoted as saying there would never be dorms in Omaha.

Take that as my opinion of the political situation. It's probably worth about as much as you paid to read it.

See you later.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I know funding is still largely that way. Unless specifically designated by the donor, money just goes into a general fund for all the universities and gets divided out depending on what the people in charge feel is most important.

Also, everything I've been reading about enrollment says that the recent trend is that UNL's enrollment is slowly dropping while UNO's is slowly climbing.

Here is a break down of enrollment for 2004:
UNO
2004 Enrollment Total enrollment 13,479
Undergraduate enrollment 10,694

Percent of undergraduate enrollment by gender
Men 47%
Women 53%

Percent of undergraduate enrollment by race/ethnicity

Non-resident alien 0%
Black non-Hispanic 6%
American Indian or Alaskan Native 0%
Asian or Pacific Islander 2%
Hispanic 3%
White non-Hispanic 82%

UNL
2004 Enrollment Total enrollment 22,268
Undergraduate enrollment 17,968

Percent of undergraduate enrollment by gender
Men 53%
Women 47%

Percent of undergraduate enrollment by race/ethnicity
Non-resident alien 0%
Black non-Hispanic 2%
American Indian or Alaskan Native 1%
Asian or Pacific Islander 2%
Hispanic 2%
White non-Hispanic 84%
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

I can only take this for so long without responding, so here goes.

If you want Diversity, then in my experience you'll find more at UNL than UNO. I lived in Selleck Hall, which was and is known as the "international dorm". Not only did we have students living in our building from New Zealand, Korea, Japan, Turkey, etc.., but we were also well known as the "best dorm food on campus" since we served more Chinese, Korean, etc food than the other dorms.

Was your major possibly Marketing, or maybe Business in general? In my Computer Science, Math, and Physics classes we had a huge amount of diversity!

Lincoln doesn't have anything to do??? Don't you realize how much LARGER the student body and campus is in Lincoln as compared to UNO? Until very recently UNO was known as West Dodge High because most of the freshman still lived at home and commuted in. It is changing, and I fully support it, but I think you are VASTLY misrepresenting the Lincoln campus!

Tell me what you will do at UNO as a under 21 year old? I can name all of those things in Lincoln, plus many more since Lincoln is truly a "college town/city". Yes the Qwest is great, but for those couple times a year we would drive up to Omaha to go to the Civic or Westfair.

Also realize that you grew up here, so you knew where every nook and cranny event was happening. Everyone I know that went to UNL (from Omaha, Des Moines, Connecticut, West NE, etc) said it was a great town for college life. Most of us moved up to Omaha or KC when we were finished.

Enough ranting for me. Back to painting my family room.
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

jsheets wrote: Until very recently UNO was known as West Dodge High because most of the freshman still lived at home and commuted in.
I don't think UNO has been known as West Dodge High in a long time. Its my understanding that it was first called West Dodge High because people thought it was so ridiculous to build the college so far out west! This was in some documentary I saw a few years ago. Clearly it is not on West Dodge anymore.

I think Lincoln has a fine campus. The main reason I think UNO's isn't as good is because the UNL/UNK regents keep holding them back.

Each campus is great for the state, but UNL and UNK need to improve and be competitive and not try to hold UNO back. My wife works at UNO and the bitterness between campuses is incredible. You don’t find many Husker fans on the UNO campus. They let you know if you wear Husker garb there. Remember most of the professors from UNO aren’t from Nebraska anyway and they don’t understand the love affair with everything Huskers.

As far as social life, I have heard many times from former UNL students that they liked the social life in Lincoln better. They said “everyone in Omaha is so serious and business like”. I always felt that the seriousness they mentioned was the difference in Omaha’s size and vibe versus Lincoln’s small college town vibe they like to promote.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

The folks down in Lincoln have always treated UNO like the poor cousin.
I know exactly what you mean. When PKI was built, Lincoln was so bitter that Omaha got the new information science, technology, and engineering facilities. The only thing that they can do is slap their name on it. Even though I go to UNO, my diploma will say UNL because they kept PKI under their namesake. Its all a bunch of stupid politics. UNL needs to get off their high horse.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Perhaps you forget that UNO does not have an engineering department? I think the UNL branding is mainly to save staffing an dollars, since so few students attend PKI when compared to the Engineering department down in Lincoln.

Again, I agree that UNO needs to grow into a "real" campus with more student housing.

And GoWest, there are still people who ask me "So how is West Dodge High?" to find out how my grad school classes are going. Since I've only lived here for 5 years, and I have heard it, then you can assume that some people still call UNO West Dodge High. Although my father-in-law always calls it "Omaha U", and it makes me laugh everytime.

Also, many people in the state don't realize how separate UNL, UNK, and UNO are. They literally think that all three are the same university. Of course this is very wrong, but very difficult to explain that I went to UNL for undergrad, UNO for grad, and they are two different universities. The only thing that is common between the three is state funding.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

jsheets wrote:I can only take this for so long without responding, so here goes.

If you want Diversity, then in my experience you'll find more at UNL than UNO. I lived in Selleck Hall, which was and is known as the "international dorm". Not only did we have students living in our building from New Zealand, Korea, Japan, Turkey, etc.., but we were also well known as the "best dorm food on campus" since we served more Chinese, Korean, etc food than the other dorms.

Was your major possibly Marketing, or maybe Business in general? In my Computer Science, Math, and Physics classes we had a huge amount of diversity!

Lincoln doesn't have anything to do??? Don't you realize how much LARGER the student body and campus is in Lincoln as compared to UNO? Until very recently UNO was known as West Dodge High because most of the freshman still lived at home and commuted in. It is changing, and I fully support it, but I think you are VASTLY misrepresenting the Lincoln campus!

Tell me what you will do at UNO as a under 21 year old? I can name all of those things in Lincoln, plus many more since Lincoln is truly a "college town/city". Yes the Qwest is great, but for those couple times a year we would drive up to Omaha to go to the Civic or Westfair.

Also realize that you grew up here, so you knew where every nook and cranny event was happening. Everyone I know that went to UNL (from Omaha, Des Moines, Connecticut, West NE, etc) said it was a great town for college life. Most of us moved up to Omaha or KC when we were finished.

Enough ranting for me. Back to painting my family room.
Nope, you're wrong, UNL is not as diverse as UNO, hence the statistics I previously posted. And I agree, Lincoln is good for "college life"...which means BARS. That was my point. Unless you love getting shitfaced every weekend there is nothing else to do in Lincoln. Granted the student body is larger at UNL, and they have the occasional terrible band sponsered by the student activities program, but I was comparing Omaha night life with Lincoln's nightlife.
Last edited by Swift on Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

DTO Luv wrote: Creighton for law school. :)
Actually, my wife went to Creighton Law, so I know they are a better program. BUT, CU Law is also 3x more expensive, so obviously not many can opt for that option.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This is such a compelling topic, and I'm really glad we're discussing it and keeping it civilized for the most part.

Swift and I pretty much agree on all counts on this issue. We roomed together the first semester freshman year down in Lincoln, and UNANIMOUSLY decided to leave Lincoln at semester, seemingly along with a majority of people we knew who went to UNL from Omaha.

It's just such a strange and provocative phenomenon. Lincoln is definitely the larger, more traditional campus, but it's in the smaller, more rural-oriented town. UNO is not quite as big (yet) but it's in Omaha, the states biggest city....a "real" city. So the result is, yes there are more "college" things to do in Lincoln, which, as Swift pointed out, generally involves getting shitfaced on a regular bases. UNO doesn't have as many campus activities or as big of sports events, etc., but it's IN OMAHA, so you have all of the city's offerings to take advantage of.

A friend of mine is from a small town and graduated from UNL, and he absolutely LOVED it. He speaks about his college days so fondly and just really really enjoyed himslef while there. We talk all the time about the idea of rural kids at UNL verses Omaha kids at UNL. He totally agrees that, to rural kids, UNL is this big, awesome campus in the "big" city of Lincoln. To Omaha people, going to Lincoln is a step down as far as what you're used to in city offerings. Sure you can like the school and everything, but you can't deny that you've given up certain things in Omaha to go to Lincoln.

The interesting thing is that, historically, you've got all these rural kids that go to UNL for college, graduate, and then move to Omaha for the jobs...hence there seems to be so much UNL allegiance here on the forum and in Omaha in general.

I do think that UNO gets neglected and overlooked by the NU board of regents, most of whom are probably UNL grads.

However, I think things are changing and will continue to change. As people have said, UNO has been able to make changes in the past decade because of private investors and donors, not because of support from the NU system. I think part of the reasoning for this is that the generations that graduated from UNO at the same time it really became recognized as a legitimate university years ago are now many of the same people who are successful business men and women in the city, people who make decisions.

Anyway, I think UNO is on it's way up, and as it's enrollment grows and UNL's declines, I think it will be poised to overtake UNL as the biggest university in the state within the next decade.

And it definitely has room to grow and improve, so let's see it!!!
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I'm all for more dorms at UNO. Anything to enhance colleges in Nebraska is great. That said, layoff the UNK/UNL bashing, guys. The infighting among the three schools sucks, but let's not get carried away about poor little UNO. When I was in college (one year at UNK, 4 years at UNL) UNK was trying to add a Philosophy Department. Who shot it down? Yep, the Lincoln and Omaha regents. What goes around, comes around. Lincoln may be the 800 pound gorilla in the group, but the parochialism among the three is universal.

And schools offer different things to different people. UNO may have more programs that are better than UNL's (I'd like to see some links that prove that, though), but there is no school in the state that I would have rather gone to (including Creighton). If I wanted to be a doctor or lawyer, that wouldn't be true. But I wanted to study philosophy and film. The only place you can do that in Nebraska, as far as I'm concerned, is Lincoln. It's the only school with a film studies major and its philosphy department is highly regarded in acedemic circles (the former chair, Robert Audi, is one of the top living philosophers in the country). And my wife could not have gotten a better degree anywhere else in the state (and very few other places in the country, for that matter). UNL's J School is state of the art. And the program itself ranks with Columbia, Northwestern and the U of Missouri as one of the top places to learn journalism anywhere. The Daily Nebraskan got a Pulitzer nomination last year (rare for college newspapers) and routinely takes home armloads of Hearst Awards.

So its different strokes for different folks. But please don't rag on UNL's quality. It only undermines your credibility.

Swift, your diversity numbers don't add up to 100% for either UNO or UNL. UNO's adds up to 93% and UNL adds up to 91%. What's the deal with that?
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Woa you're right, let me check the sight I found them from.
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

As far as UNO goes, all of the programs within the College of Public Affairs and Community Service are very good. This includes Public Admin, Aviation, Criminal Justice, and Social Work. Also the accepted book on Human Resource Management was written by a professor within the Management Department at UNO. Someone may have to correct me on this, but I believe the Architectural Engineering program is also supposedly ranked highly.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

They should change the name back to Omaha University, call UNL the university of nebraska, and UNK just Nebraska State. And Omaha University could move up to D1 (in some form) and eventually grow to be able to compete with Nebraska in athletics. It would be so sweet to see 3 D1 schools in Nebraska. :D
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

^ Or forget about UNL entirely. I'm sure that back in the day UNL was the great school everyone says it was. My best friend is going to school for music and said UNL was his choice. I tried everything to get him to go to UNO and told him he would be bored in Lincoln and just gave him heck about it for a long time. When he finally went down there for a tour with the music people all they talked to him about was the Huskers and how great it was to be going to the school with the Huskers. He also said that they were cutting certain programs in music and spending the money "elsewhere". So seeing it on his own he will be going to UNO this fall. I'd still like to but I have other things going on.
DTO
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

OmahaDevelopmentMan wrote:They should change the name back to Omaha University, call UNL the university of nebraska, and UNK just Nebraska State. And Omaha University could move up to D1 (in some form) and eventually grow to be able to compete with Nebraska in athletics. It would be so sweet to see 3 D1 schools in Nebraska. :D
Agreed.

I couldn't find the site with my original statistics on it again, but I found this instead. I tried posting these earlier but then the site went down:

2001 Minority
Enrollment

UNL 1,472
UNO 1,525

2001 Minority
Percent

UNL 6.5%
UNO 10.8%

2001 Adjusted
Minority
Percent*

UNL 7.2%
UNO 11.7%
Last edited by Swift on Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

They should change the name back to Omaha University, call UNL the university of nebraska, and UNK just Nebraska State. And Omaha University could move up to D1 (in some form) and eventually grow to be able to compete with Nebraska in athletics. It would be so sweet to see 3 D1 schools in Nebraska.
OmahaDevelopmentMan, I completly agree with you on everything. Here in Lincoln, the school calls itself NU on many occasion and so does ESPN :) . Anyway, Omaha University has a very nice ring to it.

It would be even cooler having 2 D1 schools in omaha. UNO and Creighton could develop some very cool rivalries and upset on unl.
I'm all for more D1 schools, but it will take a very long time to be able to compete with Lincoln because UNL already has a very developed program. Oh, and stop bashing on Lincoln. :evil: UNL is a great school and so is UNO. Lets leave it at that and focus on UNO.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I agree that UNO will probably get it's butt kicked for a good decade and a half by UNL in sports should they compete. But I'm fine with that.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Well while the UNL football grads run of to the NFL it will be the UNO grads signing there checks. I guess that's fair. :) And as great as sports are I would rather our universities have a reputation as good learning institutions as opposed to a jack-aruond, let's get drunk with Tommy Lee U like UNL.
DTO
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I think UNO could support something like this. It looks like it could easily hold 1,200 students. (This is currently underconstruction in great city of Chicago for Loyola Graduate students)

Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I have always thought that UNO should come up with some sort of contract with that church north of Dodge st on 67th to allow UNO to build a high rise parking structure (mixed use of course :wink: ) on that parking lot. Then they should take the parking lot just south of the University Library and build a high rise mixed use structure, with both classrooms and dorms.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Let's not get too carried away with the praise of UNO and disdain of Lincoln. It was not long ago when UNO was regularly referred to by high schoolers as the University of No Opportunity! UNO has come a long way and it is great to see Omaha business leaders helping with the Kiewit Institute. But it will take more to transform the university away from what it was and where it seems to be heading.

Also, let's not start with all of the lame rural-minded BS. Lincoln is a city as well, just a smaller one than Omaha. I know plenty of people that went to UNL from Omaha and loved it (it's not just the rural kids thinking Lincoln is the big time). A lot of Omaha kids want to get out of town and be on their own for their college experience - nothing wrong with that. A lot of Omaha kids attending UNO live at home and do not get the same college experience - the dorms are changing that.

UNL is a more urban campus than UNO. UNO is not an urban campus and is not close to these "great city offerings." It is surrounded by homes and parks. UNL students have some great museums, entertainment facilities, shops, restaurants and bars that they can walk to. Many college students do not have cars and UNL is much more conducive to walking to conveniences and amenities (so the students can really take advantage of these offerings). In this regard, attending UNO would be giving up certain aspects of the college experience!

I agree that the dorms have been great for UNO and I would like to see more built. But, I also believe that UNO will have to expand its niche and unique/different offerings and not compete directly with Lincoln.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

The greatest impact in the rise of UNO's self appreciation was the dorms, followed by the Kiewit center. Because of the Kiewit center nearly all of the top 20% of my high school class is attending UNO.

Except for Yia Yia's, I totally disagree with you about proximity to interesting things in Lincoln. I disagree about interesting things in Lincoln in general. Yia yia's, the Sheldon, Jimmy John's are they only thing that are desireable as far as I am concerned.

There are lots of things within walking distance from UNO. Dundee is withing walking distance. Elmwood Park is our backyard. There are always tons of people there (during spring summer and fall). Cass St. west of 72nd st is chocked full of activities. Of course crossroads is near by, but I'm pretty luke warm on that. Now that they are in the midst of finishing the commercial construction on 72nd and center st there will be a cavalcade of new shops and attractions opening. And most of these you don't have to be 21 to get into.

Yeah O st in Lincoln has pretty cool atmosphere, but it is primarily bars.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

We are not talking about our respective tastes here. Whether you like this restaurant, bar or that. The fact is that UNL is blocks from downtown Lincoln - restaurants, bars, movie theatres, Haymarket, galleries, museums (on campus), etc. UNO does not have these things. Cass Street? Come on, what are you excited about walking to Walgreen's and the tanning shop? One campus (UNL) is in an urban location; one campus (UNO) is in a suburban location.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Finn's right, I haven't used my car in 2 weeks. All you have to do is walk a couple blocks and you're downtown. Movie theatre's, restaurants, bars, and starbucks are within walking distance. Heck, we even walk to the Haymarket which has a ton of stuff do as well.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I wouldn't exactly call UNO or the area it's in suburban. That makes it sound like it's in Elkhorn or something.
DTO
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Would it be considered Midtown, maybe? I do know it's not downtown or urban.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

It is a "Suburban setting." Single-family detached housing with yards, large parkland, strip center shopping, etc.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

So would places like Dundee not be called urban neighborhoods? What about North Omaha. It is just like the places you described and I've never heard it be called suburban.
DTO
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Would you say Dundee was an urban setting? Tell that to someone from NYC.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Because NYC is just like every other city. :roll: :) But I would think that "urban" Omaha ends at 72nd St. Yeah UNO isn't DT but that suburb word has a weird conotation.
DTO