Former Zesto by Rosenblatt

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Former Zesto by Rosenblatt

Post by Coyote »

The Original Zesto's in S Omaha has been sold?
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Zesto - Blatt Beer & Table (12th and Mike Fahey)

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:The Original Zesto's in S Omaha has been sold?

Did it sell? It has been on the market for almost a year I believe. Don't get that way daily any more so it would be interesting to know if it is sold and if so what the plan is for the building. Wonder if there is a chance the zoo bought it for the property. That has always been what I guessed would end up happening.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:

Did it sell?  It has been on the market for almost a year I believe.  Don't get that way daily any more so it would be interesting to know if it is sold and if so what the plan is for the building.  Wonder if there is a chance the zoo bought it for the property.  That has always been what I guessed would end up happening.
I am hearing that it has been sold, but I haven't heard who the buyer is yet, so I don't know the plans for it yet.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Did it sell?  It has been on the market for almost a year I believe.  Don't get that way daily any more so it would be interesting to know if it is sold and if so what the plan is for the building.  Wonder if there is a chance the zoo bought it for the property.  That has always been what I guessed would end up happening.
I am hearing that it has been sold, but I haven't heard who the buyer is yet, so I don't know the plans for it yet.

I am sure we will know here before most other places!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Out of anyone on this forum, I would have guessed you two would have seen the link on the OWH this morning...

http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/video-so ... b2370.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its actually a video to a KMTV news story from last night at 6pm.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Out of anyone on this forum, I would have guessed you two would have seen the link on the OWH this morning...

http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/video-so ... b2370.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dont get anything but headlines from the OWH most of the time, KMTV doesn't list the new owner.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:Out of anyone on this forum, I would have guessed you two would have seen the link on the OWH this morning...

I dont get anything but headlines from the OWH  most of the time, KMTV doesn't list the new owner.

Guilty. Missed it. Hadn't found my 5 Min to look at the OWH yet today and have to pleed guilty!

Coyote if you are referring to their block after a number of views each month just use the privet or incognito browser setting depending on the browser you use.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Former Zesto by Rosenblatt

Post by Coyote »

I am coming to the conclusion, that if the OWH doesn't want our traffic hits, I won't try to go out of my way to post a link.
Rosenblatt48
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Rosenblatt48 »

Whoever bought it, I hope they don't tear it down.
While the memorial park the zoo made is nice, I always get a bad taste in my mouth that I have to walk across a parking lot where Rosenblatt once was to get to it.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It would be great if they reopened as Zesto's. The one downtown is a joke.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Does this building have any copper left? Any inside works? I heard it has been scavenged pretty bad.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Greg S wrote:It would be great if they reopened as Zesto's.  The one downtown is a joke.
Classic bait and switch. Get the prime property across the street from the ballpark with the lure of tradition, then after it's approved, switch it for an overpriced gastropub.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

HskrFanMike wrote:
Greg S wrote:It would be great if they reopened as Zesto's.  The one downtown is a joke.
Classic bait and switch.  Get the prime property across the street from the ballpark with the lure of tradition, then after it's approved, switch it for an overpriced gastropub.
Never thought about it that way, but have to admit, you are right.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Probably wont make any fans with this comment, but that old Zesto's building is a dump and I really don't see any scenario where it gets saved.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Probably wont make any fans with this comment, but that old Zesto's building is a dump and I really don't see any scenario where it gets saved.
You are right though. It has been so vandalized that there is nothing worth saving.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Coyote wrote:
HskrFanMike wrote:
Classic bait and switch.  Get the prime property across the street from the ballpark with the lure of tradition, then after it's approved, switch it for an overpriced gastropub.
Never thought about it that way, but have to admit, you are right.

I would agree as well. Wish they had figured out a way to make a full service Zesto's viable. We were down there Sunday picking up some stuff at the Dugout and would have stopped by with my boys if it was a real Zesto's.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It looks like they are going to reopen the gas station/C store just south of Zesto's as the Zoo Mart.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Greg S wrote:It would be great if they reopened as Zesto's. The one downtown is a joke.

Greg
We live in Florence, which is sparsely populated, and our Zesto's is the busiest business on the block. I wonder if they had kept the South O location open, if it would be as busy on summer nights as the one in Florence is.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The former Zesto's on south 13th has been bought and is turning into an Oasis Ice Cream.
Rehulk
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Rehulk »

Coyote wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:27 pm The former Zesto's on south 13th has been bought and is turning into an Oasis Ice Cream.
Is that a national brand or reginal?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Rehulk wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:15 pm
Coyote wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:27 pm The former Zesto's on south 13th has been bought and is turning into an Oasis Ice Cream.
Is that a national brand or reginal?
Oasis appears to be local...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (381.93 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
nebugeater
City Council

Oasis Ice Cream Inc

Post by nebugeater »

Following them on Facebook. Looks like they are targeting a late March opening. Their appliances and ice cream machines arrived this week.

https://www.facebook.com/Oasis-Ice-Crea ... 828604054/
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Glad to see this is still happening.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Remember when the story was that this building would have to be torn down? Zesto's owners said they'd keep it open after the CWS left, but the very next winter they supposedly "forgot to winterize it" and a bunch of pipes burst. They said they'd probably never be able to reopen because of this. The whole thing came off as a poor excuse at best, and insurance fraud at worst.

I'm now inclined to believe it was some type of fraud since we have another business opening in that spot. Seems like it was all a lie about intending to keep it open and the issue the next winter seems like a bad excuse.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:14 am Glad to see this is still happening.
Agree

Hope they are very successful.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

omaha79 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:57 pm Remember when the story was that this building would have to be torn down? Zesto's owners said they'd keep it open after the CWS left, but the very next winter they supposedly "forgot to winterize it" and a bunch of pipes burst. They said they'd probably never be able to reopen because of this. The whole thing came off as a poor excuse at best, and insurance fraud at worst.

I'm now inclined to believe it was some type of fraud since we have another business opening in that spot. Seems like it was all a lie about intending to keep it open and the issue the next winter seems like a bad excuse.
SInce I used to work in the area and went to Zesto on occasion I have followed this a bit. The building looked to be a mess and it seems to be that it had to be gutted inside to all but the shell.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:59 pm
omaha79 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:57 pm Remember when the story was that this building would have to be torn down? Zesto's owners said they'd keep it open after the CWS left, but the very next winter they supposedly "forgot to winterize it" and a bunch of pipes burst. They said they'd probably never be able to reopen because of this. The whole thing came off as a poor excuse at best, and insurance fraud at worst.

SInce I used to work in the area and went to Zesto on occasion I have followed this a bit. The building looked to be a mess and it seems to be that it had to be gutted inside to all but the shell.
Still seemed all too convenient. You ran a business for years with no issue and the very next year after your cash cow left the area, you "forgot" to winterize. Classic insurance scam.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

omaha79 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:26 am Still seemed all too convenient. You ran a business for years with no issue and the very next year after your cash cow left the area, you "forgot" to winterize. Classic insurance scam.
What's the scam?

Let's just make up some numbers here.
Let's say the business was worth $300,000. Let's say the broken pipes would cost $20,000 to fix. I have no idea what insurance deductibles are like for a business, but let's say it's $2000.

So they could have sold the business for $300,000.
OR
They could forget to winterize the place, and collect $18,000 from the insurance company. Now they have to sell a business with inoperable plumbing. I'd guess maybe they could sell it for $260,000.

It seems like the original owner scammed himself.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

ScrattyB wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:33 am
omaha79 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:26 am Still seemed all too convenient. You ran a business for years with no issue and the very next year after your cash cow left the area, you "forgot" to winterize. Classic insurance scam.
What's the scam?

Let's just make up some numbers here.
Let's say the business was worth $300,000. Let's say the broken pipes would cost $20,000 to fix. I have no idea what insurance deductibles are like for a business, but let's say it's $2000.

So they could have sold the business for $300,000.
OR
They could forget to winterize the place, and collect $18,000 from the insurance company. Now they have to sell a business with inoperable plumbing. I'd guess maybe they could sell it for $260,000.

It seems like the original owner scammed himself.
I think the owner knew there would be backlash from the neighborhood and city for closing up shop right when the series left. I'm also assuming that they ran the numbers and knew that it was probably a money loser to keep the place open without the CWS there or at least not worth the effort anymore as they wanted to focus on other business ventures. So, I saw it as a cut an run. Cash out and get something out of it and just be done with it while avoiding the PR hit you might take for bailing on the neighborhood.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I had not driven by here recently but did today. There is a Realtors for sale since in front of the building and by all appearance, it has closed up shop.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:23 pm I had not driven by here recently but did today. There is a Realtors for sale since in front of the building and by all appearance, it has closed up shop.
Maybe this is really new. On Loopnet the date crated is yesterday

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3901-S- ... 90MvEp6MwA

The last post they made on their Facebook page was on Oct 29.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The former Zesto's / Oasis Ice Cream building near the zoo entrance is moving on to its next life. There are signs that have been up for a while saying Lina's Mexican Restaurant Comming Soon

https://m.facebook.com/pages/biz/mexica ... 891474961/

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

That’s a plus for the neighborhood. The food is a lot cheaper and better than what is available at the Zoo.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

If it’s anything like the Lina’s location out west on 144th St..I’ll not be stopping in..

I had an awful food experience at Lina’s back in 2019 and wrote them off as never going back..

But from a building and business standpoint, it’s better than having the location sit empty…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

We go to the one on 84th st and find it way better than Albelardos.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:57 pm If it’s anything like the Lina’s location out west on 144th St..I’ll not be stopping in..

I had an awful food experience at Lina’s back in 2019 and wrote them off as never going back..

But from a building and business standpoint, it’s better than having the location sit empty…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
So one and done? It was that bad?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:20 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:57 pm If it’s anything like the Lina’s location out west on 144th St..I’ll not be stopping in..

Ciao..LiO…Peace
So one and done? It was that bad?
Food poisoning bad..and I’ll just leave it at that…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!