Observation tower

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Tornado
Home Owners Association

Observation tower

Post by Tornado »

After just getting back from a vacation to the Colorado Springs and Denver areas and being depressed at all the development out there as it relates to Omaha I was wondering about what it would take to get something similar to the Elitch Gardens observation tower down along the RiverFront. It would have to be a private developer as the city would be hard pressed to justify a project like this. The structure is pretty much just a tubular steel frame with stairs and elevators inside. The actual observation platform could be any size and shape and would provide sweeping views of midtown, downtown, Loess hills, Council Bluffs, the Missouri river North and South. This type of project wouldn't need much land and could become a destination area if ran properly. I had heard at one time of a Lewis and Clark themed observation tower downtown or at the Omaha Zoo, but nothing lately. Although this would be way more expensive of a project to build than a rumored Ferris wheel, the observation tower would be able to operate and bring in money 12 months a year. I don't know I'm just wishing. :D :D
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Observation tower

Post by RNcyanide »

I think an observation tower near or at the Lauritzen Gardens would be nice. You would see it driving in to Nebraska, oversee the zoo and the gardens, and have a good view to Bellevue, downtown, and CB.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hope they would put it in CB so you can see Omaha better. That said, the Airport would limit its height.
RNcyanide wrote:I think an observation tower near or at the Lauritzen Gardens would be nice. You would see it driving in to Nebraska, oversee the zoo and the gardens, and have a good view to Bellevue, downtown, and CB.
Wait until you see one of my new Aerial Photos. It's an awesome view from that area.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

And there are some old photos (don't kniw who's they are) from the top of the BK bridge.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:And there are some old photos (don't kniw who's they are) from the top of the BK bridge.
Mine!

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The original concept model of the Missouri River Ped Bridge (MRPB), Figg & BVH used to get the job in the first place, had an observation tower connected to the Omaha Pylon. Needless to say, the money was not there to build the observation deck.

Speaking of the original MRPB design, are there any posts about the bridge prior to 2004? Before it had to be re-bid? I've searched but cannot find them. There should be photos of the original model with the tower in earlier posts somewhere.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The forum started in 2004. Those posts would have been on the old chamber forum.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

iamjacobm wrote:Image

You know aside from looking like it belongs in Vegas it really doesn't look that bad except for those "spider legs" that suggest a spontaneous potential to run away and stab something with it's spire.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That was an idea for a tower in Omaha a longtime ago. "Vortex Tower"
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

As mentioned earlier in this thread, here's the conceptual model of the MRPB showing a tower by the Omaha pylon....

It ended up being scaled back to just have an elevator up to bridge deck level, which was how it was bid the first time around. Notice the curves are going in opposite directions from later designs too.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahanerd »

What developer in their right mind would want to spend money on a project that provides such little returns, if any positive at all? Omaha isn't a big enough market to support a Ferris Wheel much less an observation tower. People wouldn't spend more than $5 to go up the tower and with the lack of tourism Omaha has, this project would be a complete and utter fail. Yes we can all hope and dream, and it would be great to have, however, its completely unrealistic.

Nerd
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

There was a restaurant at the top of the Woodman Tower in the 1970's. I think a rooftop restaurant/bar in a downtown building might work. Something on top of the new Marriott on Capitol or if a hotel or residential tower is built in The Old Market. It would be unique enough to stay in business if it was a decently run operation and in a area like The Old Market that gets day time business crowds and tourist/weekend crowds.

That is as close as we are going to get to an observation tower/deck. Unless Warren Buffett decides to build a 4000 ft tower that becomes a global tourist attraction.
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

Looks like Tulsa is attempting the Twister tower. It sure is a lot better then Omaha's original design but a little too flashy. Either way, probably won't be built.

http://thevane.gawker.com/genius-archit ... smersereau" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rl]
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That looks awful. But really appreciate you for sharing.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Top floor of First National Tower? (If they would ever open it to the public).
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I know they open the top of the 1st National Tower for a Central High fundraiser every year. Helps that Clark Lauritzen is a Central grad.

Greg