Civic Square (former Civic Auditorium)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Post by RNcyanide »

I don't want to wait that long... :cry:
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

OmahaOmaha wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't really like the looks of this project?   I like that it includes an office tower, but as for the architectural appearance of this development, it's very blah and looks some what dated.   To me, it just doesn't have a "wow" facture.
I don't totally disagree with you, it isn't the most incredible design out there. I do like it though. It is very clean and I think it will go a long way toward modernizing the skyline with the glass and dare I say it the TD Ameritrade-esque pattern has actually grown on me.

Also we never really got a good shot at the "civic" building, but the shot where we see a sliver of it looks very modern and not like anything else in the city. Plus it has a green roof connecting the office to the civic building.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

The mayor's Facebook page said in the comments on this development that there was already interest for several companies for this property.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

Brad wrote:Typical WOWT work...  

A. Get the name of the company wrong
B. Connect it to the Huskers
WOWT wrote:Mayor Jean Stothert announced the develop partnership with DETRAD Development. The project is being headed by former Husker football player Zach Wiegert.
Playing football at Nebraska is a big deal. On top of that he was in the NFL for 11 seasons. I was actually surprised to see Zach Wiegert is a CEO of the company. Good to see former Huskers having lots of success outside of football.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

No, playing football at Nebraska is not a big deal.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Isn't Wiegert part of the group building the UNO rink, the Larson building in Lincoln, and Dunkin Donuts in Omaha?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Isn't Wiegert part of the group building the UNO rink, the Larson building in Lincoln, and Dunkin Donuts in Omaha?
And the Think building and the Cancer Center and Innovation Campus in Lincoln. They are a relatively new development company that is doing a ton in Omaha and Lincoln.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

MTO wrote:No, playing football at Nebraska is not a big deal.
Correct, not when it comes to city development.
No posts exist for this topic
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Garrett wrote:The mayor's Facebook page said in the comments on this development that there was already interest for several companies for this property.
That's awesome. I just don't want to see these developments along Capitol cannibalizing each other for office tenants.

Think there's any chance that Lanoha Tower becomes 1/2 office space, 1/2 residences?
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Including that information in the report isn't about whether his athletic career relates to city development. WOWT correctly surmised that many readers in Omaha would instantly wonder if Zach Wiegert the developer and Zach Wiegert the former Husker are one in the same. I wondered the same thing when I first read his name in connection with some of the Lincoln projects. Those articles didn't offer the info so I had to go digging around on the internet to figure it out.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

edsas wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Including that information in the report isn't about whether his athletic career relates to city development. WOWT correctly surmised that many readers in Omaha would instantly wonder if Zach Wiegert the developer and Zach Wiegert the former Husker are one in the same.  I wondered the same thing when I first read his name in connection with some of the Lincoln projects. Those articles didn't offer the info so I had to go digging around on the internet to figure it out.

We were responding to Koberaptor who said him being a former Husker is a big deal. It is not, Regardless of whether or not it is included in the article.
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

MadMartin8 wrote:
edsas wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote: Correct, not when it comes to city development.
Including that information in the report isn't about whether his athletic career relates to city development. WOWT correctly surmised that many readers in Omaha would instantly wonder if Zach Wiegert the developer and Zach Wiegert the former Husker are one in the same.  I wondered the same thing when I first read his name in connection with some of the Lincoln projects. Those articles didn't offer the info so I had to go digging around on the internet to figure it out.

We were responding to Koberaptor who said him being a former Husker is a big deal. It is not, Regardless of whether or not it is included in the article.
In this state it definitely is. As edsas said, a lot of people who read the article probably though of a different zach wiegart and not the one who played on the huskers.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

A former Nebraska and NFL star coming back to Nebraska and investing money all over but we are not allowed to acknowledge this? :sly: Talk about sour grapes! The guy made millions in the NFL and is spending it in Nebraska and yet theres something wrong or bad about him because hes a former football player. Those rules stink I think! Heck yes its a big deal that the guy is a former football star. Deal with it.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

No, it is not.
15-17, 26, 32
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

So as great as this yes it is/no it isn't convo is....

I'm excited to see this development take off. Capitol will be quite the street to watch.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

koberaptor wrote: In this state it definitely is. As edsas said, a lot of people who read the article probably though of a different zach wiegart and not the one who played on the huskers.
I'm going to guess there aren't too many Zach Wiegerts out in the world, let alone Nebraska. Every Husker fan knew exactly who it was (those with the capability of using google), and no, it still doesn't matter when it comes to this development. It could be Marlin Briscoe, Kyle Korver, or Gayle Sayers and it still would still matter the same as any other developer. I don't care that they included in the paper, they do that for many developers, it just doesn't make his Husker heritage super-hold-the-presses important. Get this built, get it built right, and get it built on time, that's all that matters.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The troglodyte's ethos belongs in the sports section. We need some photoshops of it in here, if anyone's inclined.
15-17, 26, 32
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Garrett wrote:So as great as this yes it is/no it isn't convo is....

I'm excited to see this development take off. Capitol will be quite the street to watch.

If this and if Shamrock is built, it certainly will be one heck of a district. I think that would spur even further development spanning west.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Not to mention the view coming across I 4-80.
15-17, 26, 32
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

MadMartin8 wrote:
koberaptor wrote: In this state it definitely is. As edsas said, a lot of people who read the article probably though of a different zach wiegart and not the one who played on the huskers.
I'm going to guess there aren't too many Zach Wiegerts out in the world, let alone Nebraska. Every Husker fan knew exactly who it was (those with the capability of using google), and no, it still doesn't matter when it comes to this development. It could be Marlin Briscoe, Kyle Korver, or Gayle Sayers and it still would still matter the same as any other developer. I don't care that they included in the paper, they do that for many developers, it just doesn't make his Husker heritage super-hold-the-presses important. Get this built, get it built right, and get it built on time, that's all that matters.
Then don't read that line then. It matters because the writer needs to throw in a little background information about Wiegert when they first mention him in the article. And since playing football for the huskers is a big deal around here, it should be included. Same with korver or sayers.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

MadMartin8 wrote:

If this and if Shamrock is built, it certainly will be one heck of a district. I think that would spur even further development spanning west.
And don't forget Lanoha. Someone with photoshop skills should do some magic.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Garrett wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

And don't forget Lanoha. Someone with photoshop skills should do some magic.
I forgot Lanoha was going to be on Capital too. That said, I have my doubts on all of these coming to fruition in the next 10 years. It'd be amazing, though, and would definitely usher in a new era in Downtown.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I've said it before, but if the Lanoha project doesn't get off the ground in the next few months, they should REALLY consider turning that lot into a temporary Food Truck court. It is such a waste of important city space and could easily be turned into something worthwhile.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well how about a park, it worked for the Gavillon site.
15-17, 26, 32
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

MTO wrote:Well how about a park, it worked for the Gavillon site.
That's something I'm surprised hasn't happened yet. Maybe they're hopeful that Lanoha can get this rolling soon. :lol: :lol: :lol:
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Was just imagining how crazy the view from 480 would be if all 3 were built at the same time.. now that would have to appease the masses here on the forum. Very excited at the real possibility of the skyline changing dramatically.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

guitarguy wrote:Was just imagining how crazy the view from 480 would be if all 3 were built at the same time.. now that would have to appease the masses here on the forum.
There would still be bitching on the color of the glass, brickwork, and the gutter system they chose to use...also the particular types of trees used to landscape the surrounding area.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

'Elm? Elm?! Are they insane? This city is so out of touch with its residents!'
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

:lafcry: sad but yes.. we will have words to say about the gutters haha.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Oh god the glass... I wouldn't mind a color similar to Think! or Women's Hospital.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

MadMartin8 wrote:
That's something I'm surprised hasn't happened yet. Maybe they're hopeful that Lanoha can get this rolling soon.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The Omaha World Herald built that park with their own money because they are a good corporate citizen. The speculative real estate developers aren't going to spend any money on that site without being forced to. They last group only filled in the pit and planted the grass/weeds on the site now because the city started fining them.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
That's something I'm surprised hasn't happened yet. Maybe they're hopeful that Lanoha can get this rolling soon.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The Omaha World Herald built that park with their own money because they are a good corporate citizen.  The speculative real estate developers aren't going to spend any money on that site without being forced to.  They last group only filled in the pit and planted the grass/weeds on the site now because the city started fining them.
That would actually be a neat little reveal for tenants... Those interested would put forward some cash to make the (temporary) park.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Finally found a rendering of the building from North Downtown.

Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Looks really cool. Thought it seemed a bit tall at first but I guess it is a block north of first national and two blocks north of the woodmen.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Randomly Google Imaged this development; found a different profile of the project.

A lot wider than I thought it would be.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That looks like the same rendering you posted on pg 1 of this thread.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I posted it here first then decided to throw it on the first page too. Before the first page only had the thinner profile.

The Bride
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

For everyone in need of a Creighton basketball floor, zamboni or giant scoreboard it is finally for sale.

http://www.theauctionmill.com/auction/2 ... n-auction/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

Several people in the know have told me that HDR is moving their HQ here.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

mr. omaha wrote:Several people in the know have told me that HDR is moving their HQ here.
:banana: :dancing: :banana: That would be awesome for downtown!