Civic Square (former Civic Auditorium)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Civic Square (former Civic Auditorium)

Post by iamjacobm »

A few hundred employees downtown is great no matter how the divvy up their workforce in town.

It is kind of boring, but this development might be the place for a few chains to finally break into DT. The location near Creighton and close the the FNB towers and potentially a good chunk of FirstData employees this would be a good spot for things like Panera, Chipotle etc.

Not every development on the east end of town needs to be destination retail and dining. Just give us some staples to round out the offerings in the neighborhood.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree, it would be nice to have some chains downtown. Right now there are only a few (Jimmy Johns, Subway, Starbucks)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Developer working to bring Hy-Vee to former Civic Auditorium site, Stothert says

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/develop ... c5fcc.html
Emily Nohr / World-Herald staff writer wrote:“I know they’ve been in active conversations,” she told reporters following her annual State of the City address.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Also from the W-H piece (communication of what the Mayor stated in her state of the city address this afternoon)-

"She said that Tetrad is also working with a “major tenant” for the Civic area, from 17th to 19th Streets and Chicago Street to Capitol Avenue.
The tenant, Stothert said, would “probably be a relocation of another company” already in Omaha, but she later said it could be a new business, too.“They are working with a major tenant that wants to, perhaps, we hope, will build an office building there with a lot of employees,” she said."..

And BOOM goes the dynamite...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Also from the W-H piece (communication of what the Mayor stated in her state of the city address this afternoon)-

"She said that Tetrad is also working with a “major tenant” for the Civic area, from 17th to 19th Streets and Chicago Street to Capitol Avenue.
The tenant, Stothert said, would “probably be a relocation of another company” already in Omaha, but she later said it could be a new business, too.“They are working with a major tenant that wants to, perhaps, we hope, will build an office building there with a lot of employees,” she said."..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Toast? Metlife?
Back Home in Omaha!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

She's been teasing that for years. Yawn
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jjjjhskr wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Also from the W-H piece (communication of what the Mayor stated in her state of the city address this afternoon)-

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Toast? Metlife?
First Data is the latest flavor of the month...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

The out-of-town mention is interesting and maybe she said that to motivate the Omaha company? Like when the realtor says you gotta move fast on this and make an offer, lots of people interested! Be great if there is a non-Omaha business looking to relocate, but I think our best bet is First Data.
Talks have been happening for awhile, heard maybe the city is offering up the parking lot for free and that FD is ready to bring everyone under one roof now that their main campus has been purchased. They have 5k employees in Omaha and would be moving everyone downtown who does not work in the mailing facilities. How many people work in the mailing facilities, I don't know but you would think we are talking about a couple thousand people moving to Civic site. That is a big deal.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Catherine33 wrote:The out-of-town mention is interesting and maybe she said that to motivate the Omaha company? Like when the realtor says you gotta move fast on this and make an offer, lots of people interested! Be great if there is a non-Omaha business looking to relocate, but I think our best bet is First Data.
Talks have been happening for awhile, heard maybe the city is offering up the parking lot for free and that FD is ready to bring everyone under one roof now that their main campus has been purchased. They have 5k employees in Omaha and would be moving everyone downtown who does not work in the mailing facilities. How many people work in the mailing facilities, I don't know but you would think we are talking about a couple thousand people moving to Civic site. That is a big deal.
How would they move the card production folks? Those have strong regulations (from VISA, etc.), and would likely cost a huge sum to move. Plus, the server farm? Have you heard anything about specifics of this?

I've been surprised before, but I don't think anyone but the office and call centers are moving...which is still many hundreds of folks, so this would be a good tenant.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This is one of the most hush-hush potential moves..as I've stated before. No one, unless they are a local high up who has direct communication to the top (First Data CEO Frank Bisignano), is really in the know. My guess would be any department currently occupying the 6855 building will move downtown..

Regarding the Production and mail room components, anyone's guess is as good as mine.. But I will say this, if FD does move to the Civic site, I'd be shocked if less than 2000 of their 5000 Omaha employees moved downtown..

If First Data moves downtown, it will be a big time move...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I highly doubt that FDR would move Starwood where they print payment cards. Office consolidation from Aksarben would be more likely if they are relocating.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jessep28 wrote:I highly doubt that FDR would move Starwood where they print payment cards. Office consolidation from Aksarben would be more likely if they are relocating.
Agreed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

First time poster, long time reader.

What do you think are the odds that Hy-Vee agrees to build here? I've heard that their in-store restaurant concept has been losing them major money and that they have been looking to expand more in Iowa and Minnesota. I think if they do build here, it would be a huge hit.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

CyborgKen wrote:First time poster, long time reader.

What do you think are the odds that Hy-Vee agrees to build here? I've heard that their in-store restaurant concept has been losing them major money and that they have been looking to expand more in Iowa and Minnesota. I think if they do build here, it would be a huge hit.
i'll say the obvious........They are going to need 24/7 security at that site. They better figure that in their budget.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:

i'll say the obvious........They are going to need 24/7 security at that site. They better figure that in their budget.
Thats really not that heavy of an expense if you figure one security guard hourly. They already implement security cameras and the like in their other stores.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

Louie wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:

Thats really not that heavy of an expense if you figure one security guard hourly. They already implement security cameras and the like in their other stores.
And several of their stores employ off duty OPD already...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

TheSeventhBrat wrote:
Louie wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:

And several of their stores employ off duty OPD already...
Most grocery stores, wherever their location, already have undercover people walking around looking for shop lifters, in addition to security cameras in the store and parking lot.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
asherballa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by asherballa »

Kind of a blip in this story, but Mayor Stothert stated her preference against a relocation of the W. Dale Clark Library to the Civic Square site and for it to stay put (albeit demoed and replaced) to aid in the Gene Leahy/Riverfront redevelopment.

http://www.omaha.com/news/plus/omaha-li ... 8a24a.html

"There had been talk of the downtown library moving to the former Civic Auditorium site. But Mayor Jean Stothert last week said she thinks the branch should remain in its current location as part of an effort to revitalize the Gene Leahy Mall and the riverfront."
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

asherballa wrote:Kind of a blip in this story, but Mayor Stothert stated her preference against a relocation of the W. Dale Clark Library to the Civic Square site and for it to stay put (albeit demoed and replaced) to aid in the Gene Leahy/Riverfront redevelopment.

"There had been talk of the downtown library moving to the former Civic Auditorium site. But Mayor Jean Stothert last week said she thinks the branch should remain in its current location as part of an effort to revitalize the Gene Leahy Mall and the riverfront."
How is keeping the library there a part of 'revitalizing'?
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Louie wrote: How is keeping the library there a part of 'revitalizing'?
Its revitalizing the wheeler dealers and their politician buddies pockets with more cash. Thats the only revitalizing they really care about. Ask Hal Daub how that works he wrote a book on it. If they can tear the current library down and build another one right there thats cool beans because then they can make millions off rebuilding the new one even though the current building should be left alone.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The current Public Dale Clark library location is the most appropriate location, right across the street from the public GLM Park.
There’s nothing to say the whole block would have to be used for a new library. Build a 1/2 or 1/4 block high-rise on that block and fit the new library in with some other amenities. If it must be redeveloped, the city needs to maximize the use of the block for efficiency and higher density.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Fine with the library where it is, but my god lets hope the Nebraska State Offices get moved to the Civic site.
tpaine
New to the Neighborhood

Post by tpaine »

Louie wrote:
asherballa wrote:Kind of a blip in this story, but Mayor Stothert stated her preference against a relocation of the W. Dale Clark Library to the Civic Square site and for it to stay put (albeit demoed and replaced) to aid in the Gene Leahy/Riverfront redevelopment.

I agree, keeping the library there is a dumb idea. This is too valuable a location for a downtown library that no one visits except the homeless. Des Moines has the same library concept adjacent their downtown "mall." Omaha can surely do better.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

tpaine wrote:
Louie wrote:

I agree, keeping the library there is a dumb idea. This is too valuable a location for a downtown library that no one visits except the homeless. Des Moines has the same library concept adjacent their downtown "mall." Omaha can surely do better.
Well, ideally the new library would be something like the Do Space with elements of an Omaha History museum incorporated into it as well. After visiting the FDR Presidential Library a month back, I'd like to see that sort of model as opposed to the traditional books and computers only model.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

tpaine wrote:I agree, keeping the library there is a dumb idea. This is too valuable a location for a downtown library that no one visits except the homeless. Des Moines has the same library concept adjacent their downtown "mall." Omaha can surely do better.
I have went to the downtown Library dozens of times and I live in Millard. I have received 2 parking tickets there as well. The little parking lot only has about 20 spots and wouldn't you know it if your meter runs 10 minutes over they are on you quick. I bet that is one of the reason many people don't like that library. How many thousands of people like me have the cops swooped through that little lot and jacked for parking tickets over the years? Tearing down that library is a crime in my eyes.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Put the $50-$100 million you would spend on a new library in to a trust and add the interest to the annual OPL budget.

Maybe the library needs maintenance, definitely it needs funding (we're as bad as Appalachia in that regard). But that building is just fine.

(3% interest compounded monthly on $50 million is $1.5 million to add to the budget)
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Rumor that West Farm is also in the mix for FDR.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Rumor that West Farm is also in the mix for FDR.
I heard from a pretty reliable source at FDR that the company may be moving a large amount of their jobs to Atlanta when their current lease is up.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Tetrad tells the mayor it will no longer redevelop the Civic Auditorium site
OWH on Twitter wrote:Tetrad Development says it will no longer redevelop the Civic Auditorium site.
“The decision was made following several obstacles that impacted the practicality of moving forward with the project,” said a letter to Mayor Jean Stothert.
Story:
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/tetrad- ... a0d3e.html
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Brad wrote:Tetrad tells the mayor it will no longer redevelop the Civic Auditorium site
OWH on Twitter wrote:Tetrad Development says it will no longer redevelop the Civic Auditorium site.
“The decision was made following several obstacles that impacted the practicality of moving forward with the project,” said a letter to Mayor Jean Stothert.
Story:
Disappointing.

Do you think this will be better in the long run in any way?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

More info was added to the story, the mayor is now holding a 3pm Press Conference.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

CyborgKen wrote:
Brad wrote:Tetrad tells the mayor it will no longer redevelop the Civic Auditorium site
Story:
Disappointing.

Do you think this will be better in the long run in any way?
Yes. I get the sense that Tetrad checked out of developing this site awhile ago..

I look at this as more of a “get out of the way” move by Tetrad and that the city has other plans to hand off the mantle..

Perhaps we’ll see at the 3pm presser...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Extremely disappointing, though not too surprising given all of the other developments being pushed along. This to me is the least exciting one compared to Lot B and Conagra.

I also wonder if First Data and Tetrad were negotiating over the office space and couldn't come to an agreement, so that's why this finally fell through.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

First Data, but maybe also not getting the library and then maybe not getting Hy-Vee...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Maybe we’ll get an insider city hall scoop from our friend Catherine33 before Jean’s 3pm presser :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Tetrad pulled out of the development. It will make a nice green space.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I'm sure someone else will come along eventually. Sometimes urban development is a waiting game.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I predict Noddle will end up developing the Civic site, or it won't happen because of the competition with Lot B and the usual players calling the shots.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote:Tetrad pulled out of the development. It will make a nice green space.
Doubtful..

But I get the Smucker-esqe “glass half empty” sarcasm :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GetUrban wrote:I predict Noddle will end up developing the Civic site, or it won't happen because of the competition with Lot B and the usual players calling the shots.
Nice call on Noddle..

With Jay’s track record of completions, I’d be very excited if that became reality...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!