Civic Square (former Civic Auditorium)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2168
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby MadMartin8 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:42 pm

Catherine33 wrote:Kiewit Tower at current library site.


Why would they move from their other buildings?
No posts exist for this topic

Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Catherine33 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:57 pm

A few reasons, but the main one being that where the library currently sits is the spot everybody wants and has wanted for years. Big reason why the mayor is so eager and worked so hard to get the library moved, because of the pressure she has been getting from some of the Omaha power brokers. Kiewit getting the spot that HDR wanted probably factors in a little bit as well. There is no more coveted piece of property in the state of Nebraska as far as the big boys are concerned.

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7890
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby MTO » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:40 pm

For what it's worth the two high rises planned for DSM are still working their way through the process.
15-17, 26, 32

Louie
Library Board
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee at last!

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Louie » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:41 pm

Catherine33 wrote:A few reasons, but the main one being that where the library currently sits is the spot everybody wants and has wanted for years. Big reason why the mayor is so eager and worked so hard to get the library moved, because of the pressure she has been getting from some of the Omaha power brokers. Kiewit getting the spot that HDR wanted probably factors in a little bit as well. There is no more coveted piece of property in the state of Nebraska as far as the big boys are concerned.

Any thoughts as to what they would do with their current tower?

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7890
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby MTO » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:00 pm

Catherine33 wrote:A few reasons, but the main one being that where the library currently sits is the spot everybody wants and has wanted for years. Big reason why the mayor is so eager and worked so hard to get the library moved, because of the pressure she has been getting from some of the Omaha power brokers. Kiewit getting the spot that HDR wanted probably factors in a little bit as well. There is no more coveted piece of property in the state of Nebraska as far as the big boys are concerned.


So the big boys want that spot you say. How many times are we going to hitch our wagon to some pipe dream. Tetrad has the pockets for the high rise at the civic, If we demo the old UP Townsand will build this 32 story tower, HDR wants a prominent place near the mall, CB will build this renaissance enter high rises if this ped bridge get built, this 16 story Marriott will be.. 12 floors, some movers and shakers want to developer a lot near the market on 10th street heard that for a decade now, Lot B will eventually be filled with mid rises only to be low rises low enough not to block the view... I could go on but I think I made my point. I can't help but feel like starry eyed children naive children that keep falling for their own |expletive| haven't we learned anything yet.
15-17, 26, 32

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2748
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby RNcyanide » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:42 pm

Louie wrote:
Catherine33 wrote:A few reasons, but the main one being that where the library currently sits is the spot everybody wants and has wanted for years. Big reason why the mayor is so eager and worked so hard to get the library moved, because of the pressure she has been getting from some of the Omaha power brokers. Kiewit getting the spot that HDR wanted probably factors in a little bit as well. There is no more coveted piece of property in the state of Nebraska as far as the big boys are concerned.

Any thoughts as to what they would do with their current tower?


Apartments?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2748
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby RNcyanide » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:43 pm

MTO wrote:
Catherine33 wrote:A few reasons, but the main one being that where the library currently sits is the spot everybody wants and has wanted for years. Big reason why the mayor is so eager and worked so hard to get the library moved, because of the pressure she has been getting from some of the Omaha power brokers. Kiewit getting the spot that HDR wanted probably factors in a little bit as well. There is no more coveted piece of property in the state of Nebraska as far as the big boys are concerned.


So the big boys want that spot you say. How many times are we going to hitch our wagon to some pipe dream. Tetrad has the pockets for the high rise at the civic, If we demo the old UP Townsand will build this 32 story tower, HDR wants a prominent place near the mall, CB will build this renaissance enter high rises if this ped bridge get built, this 16 story Marriott will be.. 12 floors, some movers and shakers want to developer a lot near the market on 10th street heard that for a decade now, Lot B will eventually be filled with mid rises only to be low rises low enough not to block the view... I could go on but I think I made my point. I can't help but feel like starry eyed children naive children that keep falling for their own |expletive| haven't we learned anything yet.


You done yet?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby GetUrban » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:15 pm

I'd rather have the mayor concentrate on bringing new major players to Downtown Omaha rather than simply shuffle the same old movers and shakers around. Top priority should be filling the old UP site first, then maximizing Tetrad/Civic, Ricks/Storz/Lewis & Clark, surface lots, then think about moving the library. Some sort of civic function still seems more appropriate at the head of GLM, rather than a corporate post card shot opportunity. But I'd take a high rise if push comes to shove.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

choke
Human Relations
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby choke » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:36 pm

What do you mean they changed their mind??????
Attachments
Tetrad.PNG
Tetrad.PNG (163.7 KiB) Viewed 2135 times

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3826
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Linkin5 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:06 pm

Catherine33 wrote:A few reasons, but the main one being that where the library currently sits is the spot everybody wants and has wanted for years. Big reason why the mayor is so eager and worked so hard to get the library moved, because of the pressure she has been getting from some of the Omaha power brokers. Kiewit getting the spot that HDR wanted probably factors in a little bit as well. There is no more coveted piece of property in the state of Nebraska as far as the big boys are concerned.


Do you have any info on this or is this just what you are thinking/hoping?

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2168
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby MadMartin8 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:51 pm

I am not exactly sure a dick measuring contest when it comes to being "front and center" on a postcard or two is what is going to drive a company to build in that spot downtown and spend hundreds of millions of dollars, especially when a large chunk of their workforce is suburban. Could be wrong though.

When it comes to this development though, the bottom line is that if the site doesn't include some height, it's going to be a waste of that large parcel of land. If it's filled with some short spread out squatty 5 story buildings, it might as well of been placed near the river front or north downtown.
No posts exist for this topic

Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Catherine33 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:16 pm

All I can say is that egos and prominence seem to be leading motivators in a lot of these decisions. HDR wanted the library site badly just for the postcard aspect. That is the case with others and I would be surprised if that space is not a big time HQ relocation, my bet would be Kiewit.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2168
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby MadMartin8 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:41 pm

Wouldnt bet on a big time company relocation into Omaha is happening anytime soon. Not to be an MTO debbie downer, but I don't think there is much driving a company to relocate to here right now, and not even in the distant future. As for Kiewit, I'd think there was a greater chance of them leaving Omaha entirely than consolidating into a single tower right now (i.e none).

I aim to be wrong on this, but the pie in the sky hopes of an urbanist paradise 20+ story commercial tower I just don't see the demand in the next 10-15 years. Maybe residential, maybe, if there wasn't already so many new apartments coming online as is.
No posts exist for this topic

Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Catherine33 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:27 am

Always tough to bring big companies to town, I know the city and various developers have been working at this to not much avail. The Kiewit Tower happening is a lot closer to a done deal than it is to pie in the sky though. I think Tetrad getting the River Walk going pretty soon, is also very likely.

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3826
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Linkin5 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:43 am

Catherine33 wrote:Always tough to bring big companies to town, I know the city and various developers have been working at this to not much avail. The Kiewit Tower happening is a lot closer to a done deal than it is to pie in the sky though. I think Tetrad getting the River Walk going pretty soon, is also very likely.


Tetrad and a river walk? Is there something I missed?

Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Catherine33 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Not sure how much it's been discussed publicly, but this seems to be something a lot of people are excited about and feel confident they can move forward with.

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3826
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Linkin5 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:10 pm

Catherine33 wrote:Not sure how much it's been discussed publicly, but this seems to be something a lot of people are excited about and feel confident they can move forward with.


I'm so confused, a river walk where?

choke
Human Relations
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby choke » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Here's your view if you sit at the head of Central Park Mall:
Attachments
20161105_131947.jpg
20161105_131947.jpg (223.94 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
20161105_131932.jpg
20161105_131932.jpg (224.15 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
20161105_131819.jpg
20161105_131819.jpg (222.89 KiB) Viewed 1749 times

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6282
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:05 pm

The library site.. Home of Omaha's next skyscraper..

Be patient and keep your fingers crossed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2168
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby MadMartin8 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:55 am

Linkin5 wrote:
Catherine33 wrote:Not sure how much it's been discussed publicly, but this seems to be something a lot of people are excited about and feel confident they can move forward with.


I'm so confused, a river walk where?



Starts next to Vortex tower, leading to the Marina.
No posts exist for this topic

Joe_Sovereign
Library Board
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:57 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Joe_Sovereign » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Does a new Police Station count as a Strong Civic Element?

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7890
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby MTO » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Joe_Sovereign wrote:Does a new Police Station count as a Strong Civic Element?


No but it counts as intimidation for an authoritarian Stothert administration.
15-17, 26, 32

mcarch
Library Board
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:44 pm
Location: Elkhorn
Contact:

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby mcarch » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:36 pm

choke wrote:Here's your view if you sit at the head of Central Park Mall:


And this could be your library:

Image
Minneapolis

OR

Image
Seattle

You don't want anything too tall in that spot otherwise you lose the iconic photo shoot. However, you do want something eye catching.

OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: West Omaha

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby OmahaOmaha » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:42 pm

mcarch wrote:
choke wrote:Here's your view if you sit at the head of Central Park Mall:


And this could be your library:

Image
Minneapolis

OR

Image
Seattle

You don't want anything too tall in that spot otherwise you lose the iconic photo shoot. However, you do want something eye catching.


Yeah, we need a beautiful, new downtown library so the homeless people have a nice place to hang out and use the toilets. Seriously, there is nothing wrong with the current library for now. The only way we should get rid of the current library is if a company comes along and wants to build a high rise there. That company would have to buy the property for a sizable price and it would be their cost to tear down the library. There also needs to be some kind of legal agreement that the company must build the high rise and not pull the |expletive| that happened at the civic site. Would we have torn the place down if we knew there wouldn't be a high rise involved? Then, instead of building a huge new library downtown, build one somewhere more centrally located in the city where parking won't be a problem.

Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Catherine33 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:12 pm

I think you will get your wish.The library will move for sure... it's already a done. That is the #1 piece of real estate in Omaha, it will be a high rise.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6282
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Catherine33 wrote:I think you will get your wish.The library will move for sure... it's already a done. That is the #1 piece of real estate in Omaha, it will be a high rise.


As I've said before, I'm rolling with Catherine33 here.. Not only does this make perfect sense, but I believe she has some inside Intel which allows her to be very decisive with her commentary on this specific topic :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Catherine33 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:53 pm

And I will throw in one more I think you will like Omaha Cowboy... Lot B Condo Tower, nobody cares anymore what MECA thinks or wants.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6282
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:10 pm

Catherine33 wrote:And I will throw in one more I think you will like Omaha Cowboy... Lot B Condo Tower, nobody cares anymore what MECA thinks or wants.


Aces! Thanks for that tidbit Catherine33 :yes: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7890
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby MTO » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:48 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Catherine33 wrote:I think you will get your wish.The library will move for sure... it's already a done. That is the #1 piece of real estate in Omaha, it will be a high rise.


As I've said before, I'm rolling with Catherine33 here.. Not only does this make perfect sense, but I believe she has some inside Intel which allows her to be very decisive with her commentary on this specific topic :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


Big dreams, big dreams. Unless we're talking well over 16 floors they're wasting our time.
15-17, 26, 32

choke
Human Relations
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby choke » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:25 pm

MTO wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Catherine33 wrote:I think you will get your wish.The library will move for sure... it's already a done. That is the #1 piece of real estate in Omaha, it will be a high rise.


As I've said before, I'm rolling with Catherine33 here.. Not only does this make perfect sense, but I believe she has some inside Intel which allows her to be very decisive with her commentary on this specific topic :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


Big dreams, big dreams. Unless we're talking well over 16 floors they're wasting our time.


Hard to tell when and what will be built on the old library spot but there is no doubt it will be desirable land. No doubt that Stothert wants to have a highrise built on her watch. But Omaha is about out of its big players needing a new office building. Kiewit would be logical, especially since they just built a new training center in North Downtown. Mutual of Omaha continues to develop their campus so can't see them moving. Can't think of anyone else.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2168
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby MadMartin8 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:57 pm

choke wrote:
MTO wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Catherine33 wrote:I think you will get your wish.The library will move for sure... it's already a done. That is the #1 piece of real estate in Omaha, it will be a high rise.


As I've said before, I'm rolling with Catherine33 here.. Not only does this make perfect sense, but I believe she has some inside Intel which allows her to be very decisive with her commentary on this specific topic :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


Big dreams, big dreams. Unless we're talking well over 16 floors they're wasting our time.


Hard to tell when and what will be built on the old library spot but there is no doubt it will be desirable land. No doubt that Stothert wants to have a highrise built on her watch. But Omaha is about out of its big players needing a new office building. Kiewit would be logical, especially since they just built a new training center in North Downtown. Mutual of Omaha continues to develop their campus so can't see them moving. Can't think of anyone else.


I think there was talk of Mutual moving into a new place, but I think that went the way of the dodo?
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6282
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Patience grasshoppers.. Big things will be happening for downtown Omaha over the next several years..

It's simple/easy to exhibit negativism.. but the reality is, Omaha is in the midst of coming into its own and maximizing the potential we all feel it has..

You will see this over the next several years. "The Don" assures you :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7890
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby MTO » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:43 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Patience grasshoppers.. Big things will be happening for downtown Omaha over the next several years..

It's simple/easy to exhibit negativism.. but the reality is, Omaha is in the midst of coming into its own and maximizing the potential we all feel it has..

You will see this over the next several years. "The Don" assures you :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


I can't help but trust in The Don and kiss the ring.
15-17, 26, 32

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby GetUrban » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:55 pm

Now that I think about it, the old library site would actually be a better spot for a residential high-rise tower or mixed use tower, with a great view of the GLM. Save the old UP site for a high-rise office building/retail/underground parking function. Nobody seems to want that site any more.

Now about the Tetrad/Civic site...what up wit that?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

buildomaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby buildomaha » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:00 pm

GetUrban wrote:Now that I think about it, the old library site would actually be a better spot for a residential high-rise tower or mixed use tower, with a great view of the GLM. Save the old UP site for a high-rise office building/retail/underground parking function. Nobody seems to want that site any more.

Now about the Tetrad/Civic site...what up wit that?


I agree, I think that this could be great if it was mixed use, plus it would add height. :D :clap:

Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Catherine33 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:19 pm

So, this is how I see it going-Tetrad moves the library for the city and donates the rest back to the city for whatever the city wants, then Tetrad which is owned by Walter gets the current library space for a high rise. It will be big, Kiewit and possibly another big employer, like Mutual, to co-brand the building and fill it up. The city works with them to additionally develop Gene Leahy Mall area. Big plans for Lot B also being discussed seriously. I can see it all happening in the very near future. Exciting times!

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8936
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby iamjacobm » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:27 pm

I have a hard time seeing Mutual leaving their investment in Midtown. I think the new building east of MTC is more likely for them than DT.

They do have a new mortgage wing that is in Old Mill that should see growth though.

choke
Human Relations
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby choke » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:37 pm

iamjacobm wrote:I have a hard time seeing Mutual leaving their investment in Midtown. I think the new building east of MTC is more likely for them than DT.

They do have a new mortgage wing that is in Old Mill that should see growth though.


I agree. Mutual has their nice little campus project going on. There is no reason for them to move.

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3826
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby Linkin5 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:58 pm

I'm picturing Catherine feverishly posting while smoking bath salts.

buildomaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Postby buildomaha » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:31 pm

What are we meaning by high rise?... Is this supposed to be a FNB competitor or another UP or WH building... Because if its not something great, it will be a HUGE waste of space, time, and money.


Return to “Urban Omaha Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest